Author Topic: Coal Post at Newgate Street (Darnicle Hill)  (Read 8605 times)

Offline cheshuntgel

• Opinions on some things
Coal Post at Newgate Street (Darnicle Hill)
« on: May 18, 2008, 05:20:32 pm »
Does anyone know what has happened to the coal post that was under the railway bridge at Newgate Street?  I havenít seen it since works started there to improve the railway embankment.

I have sent this query to WHC and HCC.  WHC is passing it to Herts Highways.  I hope to hear that it has been safely stored to be replaced as soon as works are completed.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Coal Post at Newgate Street (Darnicle Hill)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 05:53:49 pm »
Hi cheshuntgel,

Welcome to the forum. I presume you mean this coal post pictured below (photograph taken in 2000).

There is more about this post in this site's history section, click here to read about it, and for anyone else interested in the local coal posts, there is a feature with photographs of most of the coal posts in Hertfordshire. Click here for more information.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline cheshuntgel

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 05:27:50 pm »
Yes, this is the one - or at least it WAS!

Here is the reply I have received form Herts Highways. 

To: Sheila White

Thank you for your e-mail dated 15/05/2008 concerning a post at Newgate
Street.

We do not have any details on this post and do not know what's happened to
it.

Regards

Hertfordshire Highways

I am hoping that they can give me a contact at the contractors who may have it in safe storage.  Is there any protection, do you know, for these posts?  It would be a terrible shame if it has been removed and dumped.

PS I have just been on the Heritage Gateway site and discovered that it is a Grade II listed building number 15731
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 05:53:24 pm by cheshuntgel »

John_fraser

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 08:20:23 pm »
They should know about it. A 10 second Google shows it on the City of London complete list of coal posts

25 S side of Darnicle Lane, E of Newgate Street Bridge

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 10:49:06 am »
Maybe Network Rail should be contacted since they usually employs contractors for embankment work and point out its historic status of this Coal Post?

Offline cheshuntgel

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 05:59:58 pm »
After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing between various authorities, Broxbourne Borough Council has confirmed that the coal post was sited within Broxbourne Borough.  I received the following from them on Thursday 5 June, and hope for a good outcome.  However, if a contractor has thrown it in a skip we will have lost a very important piece of our local history.  I shall send a copy of the email to English Heritage.

I did email National Rail on your suggestion, but have received no reply.

Dear Sheila

Further to our telephone conversation yesterday afternoon and your e-mail below, I have been out on site this morning and confirm that the structure has been removed and was within the Borough of Broxbourne.  This has taken place without the consent of the Council and at this stage the Council is unaware of who removed the structure.  I will be investigating this matter and hope to resolve it.  However you are advised that this may take some time to unravel who is responsible for the removal of the coal duty obelisk. 

This has been logged under reference number COM/0111/08.  Please quote this number in any future correspondence.

Thank you for bringing this matter to the attention of the Council.  If you wish to discuss the matter further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Laura O'Reilly
Planning Compliance Officer
Borough of Broxbourne
01992 785555 extension 5954

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 06:44:33 pm »

It's not the only one missing in the area. There was another in the same area that disappeared.

Newgate Street, half a mile south of the village and north of Carbone Hill OS ref: TL 300 042  and one down by the bridge by Mimmshall Brook.

David
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 08:01:39 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 08:41:50 pm »
Very well done to Sheila for pursuing this  :)

Offline cheshuntgel

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 09:55:12 pm »
I am pleased to report that the Darnicle Hill coal post is not lost for ever.  I received the following from Broxbourne Borough on Wednesday 13 August 2008:

The coal duty marker was removed after it was damaged by a vehicle.  It has been repaired and should be reinstated soon.  There are ongoing discussions as to whether it should be put back in its original place or relocated to the other side of the road.  I believe these discussions are taking place as this is not the first time it has had to be repaired after being hit by a vehicle!

I will let you know if I get any further update regarding its reinstatement.
Regards

Laura O'Reilly
Planning Compliance Officer

Tags: