Author Topic: BP School Badge Design Origins?  (Read 9315 times)

ACE

BP School Badge Design Origins?
« on: June 24, 2003, 12:20:30 am »
Hi - can anyone help on a bit of history?  Brookmans Park Primary School is trying to find out the origins of our badge design - one rumour is that the owner of Moffats Farm was a collector of arachnids and that this fact was used as the basis for the origin of the nursery rhyme "Little Miss Muffet"!  Another is that the diligence of the spider (ref. the Robert Bruce story) is the reason behind the web being part of the design.  Any more suggestions???!!!

Mary_Morgan

Re: BP School Badge Design Origins?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 12:30:06 am »
Can someone put a picture of the design up somewhere.     Too old to be able to remember it in my mind, but vaguely think I might have an idea if I see it.
M

The theory of Little Miss Muffet has been around from whenever.   I think it is a fairy tale.  But Peter Kingsford and Bill Killick would probably have some idea.
Mary

ACE

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 12:57:02 am »
Hi - thanks for your response - if you go to http://www.brookmanspark.herts.sch.uk you can see the badge on every page of the school website - hope that this triggers your memory!
Regards, ACE
« Last Edit: June 24, 2003, 01:00:40 am by ACE »

Offline Mr Green

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 08:16:06 pm »
The following message has been sent to the parents of children attending BP school.

School Uniform
It has come to our attention that a new shop in Potters Bar, “Smiths”, has started to sell uniform with our logo on. They have not had our permission to do this and today I have written to them to inform them that they must not do so. By buying uniform from our approved stockist “LeeJoy’s” you are helping our school as we receive commission from every sale.

Is this reasonable? Should we be forced to pay an additional education tax. What happened to free and fair competition?

I suppose the school feel the logo empowers them to control its use but do they actually have copyright. This thread failed to conclude it provenance.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 08:58:11 pm »
I too see nothing wrong with healthy competition.

In my opinion some of the uniform items were very expensive in Lee Joy. Not all pupils attending BPS are from wealthy families and the expense of school uniforms is considerable, especially if you have several children.

Smiths should be allowed to continue, in fact I can't see how they can be stopped unless the school has registered the design.

Offline mannyd

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 01:41:21 pm »
The origins of the badge!

My husband designed the badge when he attended the school and they ran a competion to design a badge - approx 30 years ago.

The spiders web represents Little Miss Muffett (the girl for the inspiration behind it lived in Moffatt's Lane), and the deer represents a Hert (a deer).

Strange that our son now goes to the primary and wears the badge!

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 08:42:43 am »
The origins of the badge!

My husband designed the badge when he attended the school and they ran a competion to design a badge - approx 30 years ago.

The spiders web represents Little Miss Muffett (the girl for the inspiration behind it lived in Moffatt's Lane), and the deer represents a Hert (a deer).

Strange that our son now goes to the primary and wears the badge!
Has the badge design changed? I was at the school over 40 years ago and the spiders web and hart logo were on the badge then. But yes, we were told the story of the origins re Miss Muffet and the obvious one of the hart signifying Hertfordshire.

Tags: