Author Topic: Train updates, news and information  (Read 280630 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Train updates, news and information
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2004, 09:36:06 am »
I think it does depend what train you catch - my 'normal' one - 7:03 is very rarely late, but my 'I want a lie in one' - 7:35 has only been on time about twice this academic year when I've caught it.

The last two 'I've got a plane to catch' trains were cancelled. Two of my last three 'I've got a meeting to attend' were cancelled. I must be very unlucky. I now catch a taxi to Heathrow for flights and I now leave at least an hour early for meetings to allow for cancellations. Based on my experience (I am not a regular commuter and work from home) am unable to rely on WAGN.

:(
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

AgentOrange

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2004, 11:10:27 pm »
And I thought WAGN stood for What a Ghastly Nightmare!I once commuted from BP to Cheltenham by car -daily for a period of 3 months. 5 hours a day on top of a full day. Now that was hell. After a near miss with a jack knifing petrol tanker I decided enough was enough and found a new job. Not nearly as interesting , but a whole lot nearer and safer to home. I don't miss the M25, M40 or the A40. Not one little bit.

Offline trinity

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2004, 01:09:13 am »
And I thought WAGN stood for What a Ghastly Nightmare!I once commuted from BP to Cheltenham by car -daily for a period of 3 months. 5 hours a day on top of a full day. Now that was hell.

I don't blame you. I did that once, just before last Xmas, for a meeting
in Cheltenham. Got into a queue from J20 to the M40, then getting to Cheltenham was reasonably OK (including a demostration of some very-low-level Hercules flying by the RAF, en route). Since we left Cheltenham at a time when the A40 north of Oxford would definitely be no-go, we tried coming back along the M4. And that was a mistake.

I took a colleage with me, who is not (by his own admission) the world's greatest passenger. By the time I dropped him off at Hatfield railway station he was being "admirably restrained".

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2004, 03:13:54 pm »
My worse commuting nightmare was taking 3.5 hours from Camden Town to WG.  The buses, road and rail all colluded together to make that journey hell. :'(

I could have flown to Greece in that time!!

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2004, 07:40:21 pm »
talking about flying - when I last came back from Paris, it took me longer to get from Paddington to Brookmans Park than it did to get from Charles De Gaulle to Paddington.

Beat that!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2004, 12:55:03 pm »
A user of this site has mailed to suggest that details of rail engineering work be posted. WAGN has announced that during March a number of late trains will terminate at Potters Bar and buses will complete the journey. Anyone working late at the office, or in the city for a night out might want to check the WAGN engineering page.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2004, 05:45:03 pm »
Also watch out that there will no be trains over the weekends of 6/7, 13/14 and 20/21st March due to enginnering work between Potters Bar and Stevenage.

Replacement bus services leave Brookmans Park during the day at :08 and :38 going Northbound and :23 and :53 going southbound.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Spurs fan

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2004, 04:40:07 pm »
I notice too, that during March, trains on Mondays and Tuesdays after 2300 to WGC will also terminate at Potters Bar. ::)

Andy_Kelly

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2004, 01:21:53 pm »
Thought some of you might be interested in this:

http://www.hertford.net/yoursay/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=208

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2004, 01:55:09 pm »
Hmm. Thanks for the pointer Andy.

It appears that services to/from Moorgate will be mainly terminating at Old Street, although a few peak services will be diverted into Kings Cross from October, due to Escalator Replacement Work. This situation is likely to last for a year.

WAGN Customer services have no idea when a timetable will be released saying which train will be going where - so I guess it's a case of wait and see.

John_fraser

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2004, 03:03:55 pm »
I may be being dim here, but why have they spent the last eighteen months replacing the escalators at Moorgate – one at a time without closing the station – if they are now going to close the station?

Andy_Kelly

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2004, 06:22:48 pm »
I can't see them replacing 2 escalators in 12 months. It took more than 2 years to replace 1 at Old Street.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2004, 06:36:59 pm »
I can think of 3 possibiliities:

(a) Maybe by shutting part of the station down they can work faster cos they don't have so many health and safety procedures to follow.

(b) Maybe the escalators are shorter which means they'll be able to be repaired quicker (No idea- very rarely go to Moorgate station!)

(c) Maybe 12 months is a wild stab in the dark type of guess and WAGN are just hoping the work is done by then...

;D

John_fraser

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2004, 07:34:03 pm »
Can I make my point a little clearer?

For the last 18 months anyone travelling into Moorgate has had to endure the scrum to get up a single escalator from platforms 9 & 10 while it’s partner escalator has been repaired. This work finished only a few weeks ago. But at least the station wasn’t closed. So…

Which escalators are they replacing? Surly not the two they just repaired.

If they are another set, why do they have to shut the station for this set, when they didn’t have to for the last set?

If there is a good reason to shut the station, why did we have sort out all the escalators at once and save the poor customer the bother of the last eighteen months?

I think I’ll make a call and report back.

John_fraser

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2004, 05:37:02 pm »
Boy this is fun:

Step 1 – call WAGN:
They confirm that the service will not run to Moorgate in the mornings from October, but have no more information. They don’t know which escalators are being replaced, but said it was London Underground doing the work, so they would have the information.

Step 2 – Call London Underground:
They know even less than WAGN. Don’t know of any work or of any closure. They are sure that they haven’t told WAGN to suspend services. They promise to find out and contact me “within 72 hours”.

Step 3 – wait 72 hours

Step 4 – wait another 72 hours

Step 5 - wait another 24 hours (A week if anyone is counting)

Step 6 – Call London Underground again
They have no record of my first call. The person on the other end of the phone has “a friend who comes in from Stevenage” and they know nothing about it. Their record of work and disruption for October doesn’t list this.

Step 7 – Call WAGN again:
Miracle of miracles, some information:

Services will stop at Old Street and Kings Cross between 7:30 and 9:30 from 1st October 2004 and Autumn 2005. Metro Network Rail took this decision in order to replace the two escalators between the Northern Line and the ticket hall – i.e. not any escalator that is actually used by the WAGN passengers.

WAGN don’t know why WAGN are being suspended. I assume that they will feed the Northern Line passenger through the WAGN platforms. As this is “planned” maintenance there will be no compensation. If it over runs there will also be no compensation – don’t know if that means that they plan to overrun.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2004, 09:49:54 am »
WAGN have announced on their website - http://www.wagn.co.uk - the services they hope to be able to run during the proposed tube/train strike next week. The following are the 'highlights'

* Service will close down completely much earlier on Tuesday evening
* On Wednesday starting at 0700 there will be a very limited service between Kings Cross and WGC/Hertford North and Cambridge
* Trains will not stop at Brookmans Park or Welham Green, or most of the other 'smaller' stations.
* There by no service between Moorgate and Finsbury Park
* There will also be no trains stopping at stations between Finsbury Park and Oakleigh Park
* A few trains will run up to St Neots, Huntington and Peterborough.

I think that all means they will be running a very limited service just stopping at WGC, Hatfield, Potters Bar, New Barnet, Finsbury Park and Kings X, with a couple of Fast non stop Cambridge - Kings X and Peterborough services thrown in.

If any more useful information (e.g. a timetable!) appears on their website, I'll post details here.

James
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 09:51:15 am by James_Bentall »

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2004, 03:26:25 am »
Apparently this is now off on the train, but still on on the tube?

Can anyone (apart from WAGN obviously) confirm or deny this?

Thanks,
Aidan

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything

John_fraser

« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2004, 01:41:18 pm »
WAGN will not know until 18:30 tonight if the line between Finsbury Park and Moorgate will be open i.e. they won't know until the strike starts. If, like me you are at Moorgate, then this is a bit bloody late! :(

Offline GGDT

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2004, 04:15:31 pm »
Sorry but I cant agree with those who think WAGN are 'not too bad'.

I go to London by train once a month from Potters Bar, always on the 17:29 to Kings Cross

This train has not once turned up on time since 2002 and is generally at least 10 minutes late.

I only started noticing the delays in 2002 as I visited Japan that year, a country where a train delay of 10 minutes would be enough to make the front pge news!

celeryuk2

« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2004, 08:05:51 pm »
http://www.moorgateprotest.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

We must protest about this - we've taken too much!!!

celeryuk2

« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2004, 08:11:01 pm »
http://www.moorgateprotest.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Please spread the word !  We must protest to everyone about the Moorgate closure.

For those of you not aware, WAGN/London Underground are closing Moorgate during the rush hour for WAGN passengers from Oct 2004.  We've all got to schlep from Old Street for A YEAR ! >:(

please visit my little website and protest.  it's my first ever website so it's a bit naff but it's the thought that counts! :)

Anyone got any other ideas of how to protest ?

Thanks,

Bruce

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2004, 01:14:06 am »
I picked up a replacement timetable from WAGN at Potters Bar today. Amusingly, not only are they terminating the trains at Old Street and Diverting some, but they are also changing the times of some peak trains in the morning so be aware! The revised timetable is below - if you need more info I suggest you pick up a revised timetable from the station.

Current Dep TimeNew Departure TimeArr. Fins ParkArr. Old Str / Kings X
0608060506290637*
0638063506590707*
0808080808300837 KX
0828082608480858 KX

KX - This train has been diverted to terminate at Kings Cross
* - Train continues to serve Moorgate as usual.

Trains after these times are unchanged, and continue to Moorgate as usual. If your train has been diverted to Kings Cross you can change at Finsbury Park for a connecting service to Old Street.

What's the betting they change it all again in four weeks time for the leaf fall  >:(

A reminder that these changes come into effect on Fri 1st October.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 01:19:52 am by James_Bentall »

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2004, 04:24:16 pm »
I'm in the process of renewing my annual season ticket for next year, and have just rung to find out the price...

An increase of £270.    >:(

Can anyone help me, I cannot for the life of me understand where WAGN are spending this 14% increase - we have the same crappy trains, the same crappy station, the same crappy reliability.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Aidan

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2004, 01:16:01 am »
Hi Aidan, I think that WAGN might be losing their franchise fairly soon, or that the region might be split up a bit, so they're probably just trying to get a last dividend for the shareholders.

I have to admit I was all for privatisation back in the early 90's but it seems a bit daft the way it has worked out in practice. There is no competition on the line between WAGN and another company so no wonder they can't give a **** about service. Now what we really need is WAGN to have the inside tracks and someone like Virgin to have the outside tracks, then we'd see some true competiition and decent service.

Whilst not being a true railway anorak, I have been reading one of the monthly rail mags over the last year or two and it seems that whilst BR were a bit flaky, most things were probably better in those days and if only they had been given the same subsidy that all the franchisees, Railtrack, etc, have had over the last ten years we would have seen even better improvements.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2004, 06:23:22 pm »
WAGN have made a minor adjustment to their timetable - the 06:57 from the village is now terminating at Moorgate instead of Old Street. The rest remain unchanged as my post above.

James

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2004, 01:32:20 pm »
Can anyone explain the logic of stopping trains at Old Street in the morning rush hour,as to me it just seems to create a huge bottle neck at Old Street and Moorgate as everyone from the Wagn and Underground get off together at once at Moorgate so creating more congestion.
I for one am fed up with being packed into a tube like a sardine with my faced being pressed against the window where if the train just carried on to moorhgate it would ease congestion and make peoples lives easier

John_fraser

« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2004, 02:22:47 pm »
the logic is that the crush at Moorgate, where people leave the Northen Line than at Old Street, would be worse.

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2004, 03:34:28 pm »
But if you are on thr Northern line after being turfed off the wagn train at Old Strret,you are with the indiginous travellers on the the same tube hence congesting moorgate more than if the wagn and tube trains arrive at different times or just separately........which surely must be better............

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2004, 04:52:32 pm »
Since when has logic had anything to do with anything?

By the way, the leaf fall timetable will only run until Friday 10th Dec. After this date, peak time trains on the whole revert to their pre leaf fall times, however the 0703 has been retimed to depart at 0700. I think this is the 5th time in about 18 months this train has been retimed - perhaps they're trying to reduce passenger numbers by confusing us!

James

Tags: