Author Topic: Train updates, news and information  (Read 282081 times)

Offline shads

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Train updates, news and information
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2004, 05:05:33 pm »
no they have made the 7.03bp,7.07 potters bar the last train to go into moorgate before peak when they all have to go to old street.Now because we were told that any train that arrives latter than 7.30 would be ending at old street they have had to make the 7.03 earlier to comply with getting into to moorgate roughly by 7.30.
Another case of too much bureacracy and too little listening.
By the way the amount of extra guards on the station at Old St to direct the passengers is just an other example of a waste of funds of which the ticket payer no doubt will be forced to pay for on top of the inconvience they experience.
Why can't they just use common sense

John_fraser

« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2004, 06:31:29 pm »
But if you are on thr Northern line after being turfed off the wagn train at Old Strret,you are with the indiginous travellers on the the same tube hence congesting moorgate more than if the wagn and tube trains arrive at different times or just separately........which surely must be better............

Not really.  A large number of people - e.g. me - get off at Old Street and walk.  

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2004, 12:09:50 pm »
WAGN have published their new season ticket prices on their website. If you have a look at the file, there is a big jump in the fare price between Hadley Wood and stations further out (ie us) - I'm guessing because Hadley Wood is the last station in the 'travelcard zone' system.

Because of this, if you can be bothered to spend an extra 3 minutes at the ticket office it is possible to save £192 off the price of a new season ticket from Brookmans Park by splitting your ticket - quite legal as long as the train you get on stops at Hadley Wood (As all the ones from Brookmans Park do)

Season ticket with all zones travelcard from Brookmans Park - £2240

However,
Season ticket with all zones from Hadley Wood - £1580
Annual return from Brookmans Park - Hadley Wood - £468

Saving £192

Doing the same for a monthly ticket works out a saving of £18.45 a month.

Don't see why I should give WAGN anymore money than I have to  ;D

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2004, 05:13:15 pm »
Brilliant idea!

Just a sham that I gave WAGN 2008 pounds 5 weeks ago...

D'OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2004, 07:24:34 pm »
Sorry, am I missing something - why does the train need to stop?  Can it not just pass through?

Birch

Offline slimgym

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2004, 11:31:09 pm »
Sorry, am I missing something - why does the train need to stop?  Can it not just pass through?
It doesn't need to stop, WAGN confirmed this to me by email the other day.

The confusion exists because the NR conditions of carriage suggest such a combination of tickets is only valid if the train stops, however the TfL ticket is not a season, it's a "period travelcard", and thus the train doesn't have to stop.

I just saved £300 odd from Potters Bar by buying one to Finsbury Park and a Z12 Oyster. I then found out about the "not having to stop" thing from WAGN and could have done it to Oakleigh Park instead, which would have given me a Z1-4 travelcard for £5 more.

Great minds think alike though, I posted a similar thing to MoneysavingExpert only a short while back ;)

A good place to renew without queueing is via the South West Trains season website and you can compare rates to find the cheapest combination of zones and point to point.

Welham Green is particularly good as you save £475 a year.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 11:40:56 pm by slimgym »

Offline slimgym

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2004, 11:32:08 pm »
Don't see why I should give WAGN anymore money than I have to  ;D
Slight caveat, you lose the 7% charter discount if you alter the validity of the ticket :(

Offline slimgym

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2004, 11:35:03 pm »
Just a shame that I gave WAGN 2008 pounds 5 weeks ago...
They will exchange tickets and it may still be worth doing (if nothing else to get an Oyster...). They will full refund the ticket and calculate the time you've had already and issue monthlies, weeklies and returns to the time used. Then the remainder of the annual is issued using a similar pattern. When I worked this out there was a small saving to be had any time up to the 10.4 months of monthlies after which the ticket is worthless.

You could probably do the math yourself to see if you'd save ;) If you take a look at this PDF it contains the information about how to work out the cost of an annual/monthly/weekly. A monthly is 3.84 x the weekly cost, and an annual is 40 x the weekly cost, with the PDF giving every combination between the two ...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 11:56:56 pm by slimgym »

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2005, 02:41:59 pm »
Great thread...made me think.  My monthly has gone up about a tenner with a 5% discount (so should be more).

Bought a season ticket to Finsbury Park and then a Zone 2 only travelcard which saved a tenner.

May only be a tenner, but it's the difference in WAGNs increase and over a year that's £120 which will be saved.

Offline slimgym

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2005, 04:21:08 pm »
My monthly has gone up about a tenner with a 5% discount (so should be more).
You'll get the discount back next month, although looking here suggests the discounts might be numbered anyway.

Offline slimgym

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2005, 08:57:03 pm »
My monthly has gone up about a tenner with a 5% discount (so should be more).
You'll get the discount back next month, although looking here suggests the discounts might be numbered anyway.

With the good service (?) the monthly renewal discount of 5% is no more!

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2005, 10:53:13 am »
WAGN are replacing all local train services with busses that stop at Brookmans Park with busses over the Easter period, from Good Friday to Bank Holiday Monday, so you may want to check times before you travel.

There will be no trains running between Welwyn Garden City and Alexandra Palace on any of the four days. Through services are being diverted via Hertford, so there is a limited service from Cuffley, or alternatively you may wish to use the services from St Albans.

James

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2005, 01:29:03 pm »
Well, I followed this thread, and duly saved some money by breaking up my travel card into 2 separate parts.  I bought the first monthly set from PB and up and to now bought the rest from Finsbury Park.  Today, I went to WG station and was told that they couldn't issue a zone 2 only travelcard, although they could do a travelcard from WG into zone 2!!!!?  >:(  The excuse being that they couldn't issue cards outside of the zone....so what did PB do?

Go figure.  Anyhow, it's prompted me to purchase a pre-pay oyster to save more ££££s.

Birch

Offline slimgym

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2005, 10:34:38 pm »
Today, I went to WG station and was told that they couldn't issue a zone 2 only travelcard, although they could do a travelcard from WG into zone 2!!!!?  >:(  The excuse being that they couldn't issue cards outside of the zone....so what did PB do?

Go figure.  Anyhow, it's prompted me to purchase a pre-pay oyster to save more ££££s.

It's true ... but you can buy the Z2 from a pass agent or tube station (but your nearest will be PBR anyway), you can search for one here. If you buy it online (http://sales.oystercard.com) you can just renew it on the web.

This link might help you work out if Oyster Prepay is better for you, but bear in mind if your ticket is to Finsbury Park and you travel into KX on the WAGN you need to get out at FPK and touch the pads. Also pre-pay Oyster is not valid north of Finsbury Park.

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2005, 09:17:06 am »
Well, the train made it into Finsbury Pk today in good time considering the delays and over-crowding this morning.  Apparently, the reason for the delays was that the train hit a horse before Welham Green station.  Does anyone know if the horse was badly hurt or how it ended up on the track?

catbirder

« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2005, 09:58:14 pm »
The horse was killed outright, unfortunately.  It had managed to climb up the embankment from the stables by the bridge in Welham Green, and was struck at 7.30am.  When I was there, they were arranging to bring in machinery to remove the carcass.  Co-incidentally, there were contractors cutting down a lot of the scrub around the bridge.  I did remind them that this is not the time to be doing this, in the middle of the bird breeding season, but I was informed that it had to be done in order that cars coming down Bulls Lane could see the bridge(!).

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2005, 11:20:31 pm »
WAGN's new train timetable is coming in on Monday. There are no significant changes as far as I can see for Brookmans Park users. A couple of peak morning trains have been retimed by a minute or two, and, slightly more annoying (for regular commuters anyway) we have lost some of the 'semi fast' services to Brookmans Park in the evening -they are now stopping at more stations.

The only other change is that the following trains are now departing/terminating at Moorgate instead of Kings Cross:

21.05 Moorgate - Welwyn Garden City (arrives BP at 21:41)
21.35 Moorgate - Welwyn Garden City (arrives BP at 22:11)

20.28 Welwyn Garden City - Moorgate due 21.15
20.58 Welwyn Garden City - Moorgate due 21.45

for all those people that like working late at night in the city...

There are a few additional changes - including additional off peak services - to the services which stop at Hatfield and Potters Bar, so if you regularly use those stations you might want to check details before you travel next week.

James

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2005, 08:49:11 am »
I've just sent the following to WAGN customer service department following a chat this morning with a number of commuter pals waiting for the 07:00.

Dear WAGN,

Thanks for the new departure boards. They are a great addition to Brookmans Park Station.

One request. Could the information be displayed on both the front and the back of the boards please -- like the boards further down the line (at Oakleigh Park I think)?

The way the boards are currently positioned is that you can only read them as you approach them when walking down the stairs or standing on the platform to the north of the stairs.

Most people are busy watching where they step when they walk down the stairs and that means they could miss the boards and not see the information on them. That was certainly the case with some commuters I chatted to this morning -- they hadn't even noticed the boards were there.

Also, many commuters walk along the platform beyond the boards in the direction of London. That means that they can't see the information displayed unless they keep walking back down the platform towards the stairs.

Would this be easy to fix? (This is not a moan, just an attempt to improve what is a fine addition to the commuter experience).

:)

I have posted this on the village website www.brookmans.com in the public forum. Please feel free to respond there if you like (it's free to join and takes seconds to sign up). Alternatively you could reply to me and I can post for you.

Regards

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2005, 09:02:03 pm »
Whilst the new boards are VERY welcome, they do give WAGN a whole new way to mess things up and confuse us

The northbound one this morning appeared to be showing departures for Hatfield for example.  :icon_scratch:

James

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2005, 03:19:19 pm »
Just got this email reply from WAGN.

Ref:49726

21/Jul/2005

Dear Mr Brewer

Thank you for your correspondence.

I note your request for the newly installed information boards at Brookmans Park station to provide information on both sides, and have addressed this matter to the attention of our Group Station Manager responsible for this station, in order that this may receive further attention and consideration.

Yours sincerely

Ken Worland
Customer Services Assistant
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

MikeL

« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2005, 12:36:38 pm »
I'm not sure I understand the economics here. Surely it would have been cheaper to just put up a sign with "Please listen for announcements" painted on it rather than install an electronic display to do it. ;)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2005, 01:17:37 pm »
Yes Mike, I noticed that too. At 7am for the last three mornings the electronic noticeboard has told us to do what we have been doing already -- listen out for announcements, although, unlike before, there weren't any.

DubaiDebbie

« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2005, 12:28:32 pm »
Plus, when I was commuting from BP they always seemed to save the announcement until an express train was thundering through.....

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2005, 12:35:56 pm »

Plus, when I was commuting from BP they always seemed to save the announcement until an express train was thundering through.....

Not ideal, but a lot better than no announcements at all, which is the case now -- despite the new boards reminding us every day to 'listen for announcements' (rather than displaying meaningful information). I think two trains were cancelled this morning, the 6.38 and 07.00. No announcements to 'listen for' and no information on the boards. Struggling to hear against the sound of a passing express would be a clear improvement on the current situation.

:-\

David

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2005, 09:16:54 am »
Does anyone know if the trains are now back to normal at weekends?  Need to know for this weekend.

I looked on the WAGN website and there's nothing on there but that may not have been updated.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2005, 01:08:22 pm »
National Rail's website - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_bulletins/currentAndFuture.html - doesn't seem to think so (although there are no trains through Brookmans Park on 27th December which hasn't been well publicised). There were trains running last Sunday, so they may well have finished the work earlier than they thought. To double check however you may wish to ring their helpline on 08457 818919

James

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2005, 01:11:53 pm »
Thanks James, will probably go to Cockfosters as a lot less hassle in the long run  ;)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2005, 09:17:03 am »
This from the WAGN website for anyone who has missed it.

Over the Christmas and New Year period Wagn services will operate to an amended timetable.

In General:

On Friday 23 December a normal service will operate in the morning, with a revised service from early afternoon.
On Saturday 24 December a normal service will operate until early evening with an amended and EARLIER finish.
On Sunday 25 & Monday 26 December no service will operate.
On Tuesday 27 December a special service will operate with an amended start of service. Due to engineering work buses replace trains New Barnet-Welwyn Garden City.
On Wednesday 28, Thursday 29 & Friday 30 December a special service will operate with trains serving both Kings Cross & Moorgate. On Wednesday & Thursday, late night services between Alexandra Palace and Stevenage via Hertford North are replaced by buses.
On Saturday 31 December a Saturday service will operate with additional services running in the early hours of New Years Day.
On Sunday 1 January a Sunday service will operate with a later start of service. Buses replace services until Mid Morning Kings Cross-Welwyn Garden City and Kings Cross-Stevenage via Hertford North.
On Monday 2 January a special service will operate.

WAGN then offers a link to a .pdf file with the full timetable. Click here to reach the page with the download link.

John_fraser

« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2005, 12:38:00 pm »
Don’t know if everyone’s seen this, but next year WAGN rolls off into the distance and First Capital Connect takes over the line.

Welwyn & Hatfield Times

This will, naturally, result in all the trains and signs being painted a new set of corporate colours, while uniforms will be changed and  all the posters and paperwork reprinted with the new logo.  The expense of this will count as “capital investment” the next time they, or the government, boast about investment.

First Capital Connect can be found here. A site full of the usual corporate new speak that marks the rise of mediocrity in the Western World. They “…aim to give customers what they want, not what we think they want or what is easy to deliver" Quite how they will go about giving us what we want when it isn’t what they think we want I can’t work out. But I expect I’m just trying to read meaning into the random sound bites of a second rate PR drone.

Offline mungroo

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #119 on: December 24, 2005, 09:50:35 pm »
I had read it and was going to comment on it but you beat me to it John.

I love this line regarding all te money that has just been wasted on re-branding :
When the Potters Bar Edition asked Wagn if it had wasted its money on the re-branding, a spokesman said: "Nothing that makes a better environment for our passengers is a waste of time or money."

That stinks. I'd be pretty p***d off if I were Mr WAGN.

PS Merry Christmas all

Tags: