Author Topic: Train updates, news and information  (Read 300300 times)

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
Re: Train updates, news and information
« Reply #240 on: January 11, 2009, 09:16:17 am »
Thanks for the replies.

I have an Oyster PAYG as only go to London about once a month and usually go from Cockfosters.  Just wondered if I would have more options in the future

Offline slimgym

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #241 on: January 11, 2009, 10:49:49 am »
Hopefully the ITSO system will be integrated so you can hold a national rail smart card and use it on trains, buses, tubes and trams. TfL ensured their gate-line readers were able to read many different card systems with just this expectation becoming reality. How far off it is though is anyones guess.

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #242 on: January 14, 2009, 04:39:07 pm »
Worked out my fares have gone up 8.3%. My wages are due to go up 0%.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #243 on: January 14, 2009, 04:44:45 pm »
Worked out my fares have gone up 8.3%. My wages are due to go up 0%.

I'd be interested to know how much the wages of those who drive and maintain the trains has gone up. My guess would be 0%, too.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline slimgym

• Forum Member
« Reply #244 on: January 14, 2009, 04:47:42 pm »
I had much the same, we had a 20 bonus though (voucher!). Luckily my commute is not into central london so driving to work is an option, and it's the option I now use. I can drive the journey from Shepherds Bush quicker and cheaper than the train.

Agree though if my journey was in to central london I would have no option but to take the train - in that case it would be quicker cheaper and more convenient than driving. For journeys going through central london it's terribly expensive and if you have to make your way to Kings X in the evening it doesn't take too much of a delay to miss a train - which then adds half an hour to your journey!

I hate to drive because the train should be better, but the fare and zone structure load it against people who have to travel through Z1 just because the system has been designed that way :(

Offline JLC

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #245 on: January 14, 2009, 05:58:16 pm »
...  Agree though if my journey was in to central london I would have no option but to take the train ....

There is another option and which is free....  cycle to work.

Offline slimgym

• Forum Member
« Reply #246 on: January 14, 2009, 06:16:54 pm »
Not much of an option if you're going to Shepherds Bush though!

Offline Gestapo

• Forum Member
« Reply #247 on: January 16, 2009, 04:35:00 am »
Are you aware that the ticket office is planning to open later and close earlier?

FCC are planning to reduce ticket offices opening hours in many of their stations.

This will make stations more unsafe, etc

To voice your objection contact

Email: info@passengerfocus.org.uk

Write to:
Passenger Focus
FREEPOST (RRRE-ETTC-LEET)
PO BOX 4257
Manchester
M60 3AR

This needs to be done by 3rd Feb 2009

You can also contact your local MP

Grant Shapps
Welwyn Hatfield Conservatives ,
Maynard House ,
The Common ,
Hatfield ,
AL10 0NF

Offline speerchucker

« Reply #248 on: January 19, 2009, 08:57:16 am »
Please see the text of my own rant.  I am sure others will do similar - little good though it will probably do

"I wish to register my objection to the proposals to open booking offices later and close them earlier.

In addition to the unquestionable safety concerns, it is becoming increasingly difficult to purchase a valid ticket, particularly a season ticket for travel.  My local station (Brookmans Park) is already closed at the times that I travel, the ticket machines are highly temperamental and the internet service is very slow (I was recently issued a ticket that started 2 days before my card was debited and 4 days before it was mailed!  If Potters Bar is also to be closed at usable times, this will only make matters worse. 

If Car Parking increases are included then the price of travel is increasing at a rate which is a multiple of inflation.  This should not be accompanied by a reduced level of service.

No doubt we will also see the increase of collectors on trains trying to fine us for being unable to buy a ticket!

Regards" >:(

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #249 on: January 19, 2009, 01:56:08 pm »
Are you aware that the ticket office is planning to open later and close earlier?

FCC are planning to reduce ticket offices opening hours in many of their stations.

To which stations are you referring to? Is there a list?

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #250 on: January 19, 2009, 04:38:30 pm »
Not content to fleece commuters for way, way above inflation ticket price hikes and now car park charges, it seems that (not that we didn't know this), but FCC have been making a tidy profit and that's BEFORE the hikes.

First Capital Connect, owned by First Group which announced operating profits of 48.3million for the half year ending 30 September, also wants to cut ticket office opening times at many Thameslink stations.

The rest of the article goes on that although the fares are increased they want to cut service frequency.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1122682/Cattle-truck-overcrowding-predicted-rail-companies-prepare-ask-permission-slash-number-train-services.html?ITO=1490

Offline Gestapo

• Forum Member
« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2009, 09:00:01 pm »
Posters are up at all stations informing passengers of the changes.

Not sure if there is a generic list anywhere.

Offline Gestapo

• Forum Member
« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2009, 07:49:22 am »
Managed to find this which shows the changes.

http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/document/3630/get

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2009, 01:22:13 pm »
Reading the document the shortened hours are based on no. of ticket issues it seems. But FCC seem to forget that the ticket office is not only for tickets but for information and help.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2009, 01:31:32 pm »
Also, the station has only 1 ticket vending machine. Will this be increased or its servicing increased to take account for increased usage? I doubt it. Out of hours if not working (vandalism comes to mind) what will they lose when the traveller is travelling to another unmanned station? This probably already occurs, but can only be worse with a further reduction in manned assistance.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #255 on: January 23, 2009, 02:15:51 pm »
Reading the document the shortened hours are based on no. of ticket issues it seems. But FCC seem to forget that the ticket office is not only for tickets but for information and help.

They are rolling out those information points on the stations now (we've two at Brookmans Park) which you can get help from. Admittedly someone probably a long way away so if you are feeling threatened etc not a lot of use
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

John_fraser

« Reply #256 on: January 23, 2009, 03:25:57 pm »
Can the ticket vending machine really cover all of the tickets sold as claimed? I didn't think it could do monthly or annual season tickets.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #257 on: January 23, 2009, 05:06:48 pm »
Pretty sure any ticket that requires a photocard won't be available from a machine

Offline Gestapo

• Forum Member
« Reply #258 on: January 29, 2009, 09:04:02 am »
Can the ticket vending machine really cover all of the tickets sold as claimed? I didn't think it could do monthly or annual season tickets.

you cant buy excess tickets, pay with warrants, get a discount using your hertfordshire bus pass........are some .

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2009, 06:49:52 am »
Line problem in the Potters Bar area.

Train services on all routes via Finsbury Park are being disrupted due to flooding in the Potters Bar area.Engineers are working as fast as possible to restore services to normal. Short notice alterations and cancellations can be expected.

Due to flooding in the Potters Bar area, an emergency timetable will operate on the Great Northern route on the morning of Tuesday 10th, with a reduced number of train services in operation

More details here : http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/Main.php?sEvent=LiveRunning

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2009, 09:42:36 am »
Today I turned up at BP for the 07:57 (according to the website all London bound trains were on time).  The sign at the station said 2 trains per hour, at 08 and 38 minutes past.  Waited for the 08 and guess what?  It was a short train (3 carriages) and absolutely chocker.  Along with most people, I couldn't get on.  Then heard the next train was at 08:51.  I could see the same thing happening then so walked home.

'Er indoors was desparate to get rid of me so we decided to drive to Cuffley.  Cuffley was packed and there were clearly problems.  Station staff said there was one an hour into London and the next one was some time after 09:00.  Again, with a packed platform and people still arriving, it seemed pointless waiting.

I know, I could get the Thameslink from Radlett!  So we started to drive to Radlett.  When we got to the junction of Hawkshead Lane and Warrengate Road (you know where they spent all that money on flood defences) and we were stuck in a jam because of the deep flooding, I started to think.  Now, I'm not an overtly religious man but I know when someone is trying to tell me something.

So I'm working from home today, at least until lunchtime when I shall be supporting local business (well, Wildhill).

Good luck fellow commuters!

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2009, 10:59:39 am »
When we got to the junction of Hawkshead Lane and Warrengate Road (you know where they spent all that money on flood defences) and we were stuck in a jam because of the deep flooding,

Hi ADM
You do not say exactly where the flooding was.  If it was on Hawkshead Lane before you get to the bridge, there were extra drains put in the road which were supposed to get rid of flooding at that point.  If so, it should be reported to Herts Highways since the drains are blocked or inadequate, or both.

If the flood was on Warrengate Road, I wonder if the flood gates had been closed - curiously, a practice is due today to keep staff familiar with what to do when there is a flood warning   ;D  If the gates were closed then they were doing their job which is to stop the cottages being flooded. 

A turning point on the south side of Hawkshead Lane has been given planning permission. When the flood gates are closed, this turning point will be opened to enable westbound vehicles on Hawkshead Lane to reverse and turn round when the road ahead is flooded. Otherwise vehicles would have to reverse back up the hill which is not a good idea particularly if it is a lorry etc!

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2009, 12:20:16 pm »
I too gave up with the trains this morning. Heard on the radio about train problems so forwent normal WG station as spent many times waiting and watching trains go by without stopping here before when there have been problems. Went to Hatfield and had absolutely no joy there either. Even the train staff had not a got a clue as to when the next train would be. Also saw the packed 3 carriage train and couldn't get on!!!! Decided to go home, but got stuck in traffic heading into WG cos of flooding on the road. This is my 4th day working from home!!!!

Regarding compensation for delays, I literally gave up last year when I also received a 2 voucher. I found it insulting for having been delayed about 2 hrs and I too have an annual ticket. What are we supposed to do with it. I know what I wanted to do with it...shove it back up their ****!!! WAGN used to automatically tally up all the delays and every half year sent a cheque for money for compensation. FCC take note...not that you care at all.

:-\  As we all know the country is literally falling apart at the seams.

Offline Abbot

• Forum Member
« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2009, 04:57:30 pm »
Checking the trains, this amused me, lucky I wasn't on it.
"
16:03 Moorgate to Welwyn Garden City due 16:51

This train has now departed.
This train has been cancelled.
This is due to an earlier train fault.

Due to door problems this train will come out of at Old Street.

"

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2009, 06:14:48 pm »
I tried to get on it... Highbury and Islington is a lovely place to stand around waiting around 40 minutes for a train that gets later and later and then goes through without stopping with a big out of service notice on it :(

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #265 on: February 10, 2009, 06:22:01 pm »
I too waited as the 7.57 failed to appear and witnessed the pathetic 8.08 roll into the station, already full to capacity and only half the length it should be. About 30 or so stranded commuters then simply walked out of the station and gave up. I toughed it out, stood in the cold and rain for over half an hour more until the next train arrived. I managed to squeeze my way on but others weren't so lucky.

Don't get me started on the journey home this evening - further cancellations.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #266 on: February 11, 2009, 12:50:44 pm »
Perhaps this will put a smile on some faces. 

This link http://www.firstcrapitalconnect.co.uk/ has been posted on Grant Shapps' website on this topic  http://www.shapps.com/forum/index.php?topic=4363.new;topicseen#new.   The next posting was from someone defending FCC to add some balance.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #267 on: February 11, 2009, 01:44:56 pm »
While I sympathise with those stuck on the platform going to London, think about those stuck away from home. Last week it was Washington, stuck for two days because of snow. Last night it was the cancellation of a flight to Johannesburg and a night in an airport hotel near Heathrow. Not nice.

By the way, in case it doesn't make the news, the plane, a jumbo 747, sprang a fuel leak with fuel pouring from the right side wing (the one I was sitting over). We had already started our journey to the departure runway. We were towed to a remote area of the airport and stuck for three hours with fire crews watching. We couldn't evacuate because communications seemed to be down. Eventually, the stairs they brought were the wrong size, the air con failed, the plane got stuck to the tow truck and passengers started to fear we were all going to blow up and become toast.

There was one bloke who instantly became the plane's expert on fuel fumes and the likely consequences. He was no help.

Makes missing a few trains on Brooky Park station sound fun. Hopefully we take off at 1630.

::)

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #268 on: February 11, 2009, 02:21:53 pm »
Perhaps this will put a smile on some faces. 

This link http://www.firstcrapitalconnect.co.uk/ has been posted on Grant Shapps' website on this topic  http://www.shapps.com/forum/index.php?topic=4363.new;topicseen#new.   The next posting was from someone defending FCC to add some balance.

Classic website...round of applause to the man who made it and got his frustrations out that way rather than being tempted to stick a bomb in their offices which as a commuter you feel might be the only way to get FCC to listen!!!!

Disclaimer: I don't advocate terrorism in any shape, way or form (normally).

And the only way you can defend FCC is if you might actually have an interest in them...ie. a shareholder surely.

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #269 on: March 12, 2009, 02:55:57 pm »
Held a meeting with First Capital Connect MD Elaine Holt at Westminster yesterday and had an interesting conversation about the possibility of fares falling if inflation went negative. Slightly theoretical as they charge inflation + 1% on regulated fares, but worth noting here:
http://www.shapps.com/forum/index.php/topic,4825.0.html

Best wishes
Grant.

Tags: