Author Topic: Train updates, news and information  (Read 282172 times)

Offline Abbot

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Re: Train updates, news and information
« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2007, 01:34:54 pm »
I see all the gardeners out with their leaf blowers, blowing leaves on to the road.
Woludn't it be better if they collected them so they wouldn't get on the train line??
Or are they just doing a job that nature normaly does.

Or helping the process on entropy.

Offline Birch

• Opinions on many things
  • I am God (no really!)
« Reply #211 on: January 04, 2008, 10:05:08 am »
Does anyone know yet what the % fare increase on our train line is for 2008?

I just checked my annual season ticket price from Welham Green into Finsbury Park and it has gone up by 380. If that price is correct and i have checked 3 times that is a whopping 26% increase.  :o

How on earth can this rise be justified!!! Has anyone else had this type of increase?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 01:00:29 pm by Birch »

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #212 on: January 09, 2008, 05:01:58 pm »
'Train services between Finsbury Park and Moorgate are being disrupted due to overhead wire problems in the Finsbury Park area.Short notice alterations, cancellations and delays can be expected. North bound services will shortly be on the move but at 20mph. London Underground, One West Anglia and FCC Thameslink are accepting our tickets for any reasonable routes until further notice. '

Looks like being a fun journey home...
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #213 on: January 09, 2008, 10:21:11 pm »
21:36 Following the damage caused to the overhead wires in the Finsbury Park area, remedial works will now take place and disruption to services is expected to last until 08:00 tomorrow, Thursday 10 January.

From Network Rail's website - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_bulletins/today.html

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #214 on: January 10, 2008, 01:35:10 am »
My journey home toight reminded me of all the reasons I'm glad I don't have to commute every day  :D

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #215 on: January 10, 2008, 06:33:35 am »
See http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_bulletins/additional_info/100108FPK/fcc.html

(Trains leave Brookmans Park at 0700 and 0730 all stations to Ally Pally where you will have to change for a - probably very crowded - service calling at Finsbury Park and Kings Cross. No service to Moorgate)

Offline southbury

• Forum Member
« Reply #216 on: January 10, 2008, 11:23:52 am »
those of us that form the small but happy band of the "06.08 club" were advised when we got to Hadley Wood this morning that "the line was being switched on and off " and when we " eventually get to Alexandra Palace you'll have to walk to Wood Green and get a tube" .. how is that for customer service .

Offline Abbot

• Forum Member
« Reply #217 on: January 10, 2008, 04:45:30 pm »
16:35 Moorgate to Welwyn Garden City due 17:23
This train will run short formed with 3 carriages.
This is due to earlier overhead wire problems.

At least tonight they will not have to squeeze in the Arsenal Fans as well.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #218 on: January 10, 2008, 05:01:52 pm »
FCC site said normal service - or perhaps short trains are 'normal'  :(

MikeL

« Reply #219 on: January 10, 2008, 05:56:30 pm »
When I looked, FCC Site was saying "No Incidents to report" at 6:30 and 7:45 this morning!

I've noticed before that they report minor incidents on there, but when there is something major happening they don't bother updating the site.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2008, 06:37:10 pm »
Ho hum. Another Wednesday, another badly delayed rail journey...

'Due to a major signalling problem at Finsbury Park, all services into both London Kings Cross and London Moorgate are subject to major disruption and cancellation. Welwyn Garden City and Hertford North services will start and terminate at Alexandra Palace. '

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/Main.php?sEvent=MajorIncident

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2008, 07:27:56 pm »
Due to a major signalling failure in the Finsbury Park area trains are currently unable to reach King's Cross or Moorgate stations.

The following severely reduced service, which is subject to severe delays, alterations and cancellations is operating:

No more services will run in or out of Moorgate this evening: suburban services to Welwyn Garden City and Hertford are starting and terminating at Alexandra Palace. Customers wishing to use these services are advised to take Piccadilly line services to Wood Green tube station, walk to Alexandra Palace station (approximately 10 minutes walking distance) to connect with these services.

Customers wishing to travel to Cambridge: use 'one' railway services from Liverpool Street station.

Customers wishing to travel to Stevenage, Peterborough, Letchworth, Cambridge or King's Lynn: travel to Finsbury Park station for replacement bus services to Stevenage and connect with shuttle train services to these destinations.

Please be aware that the Underground and Finsbury Park station are currently very busy. We recommend that you do not need travel unless absolutely necessary.

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2008, 09:59:46 am »
I applied for compensation for those 2 days when the overhead lines were down. I know it took some commuters 2.5hrs to get home on the Weds evening, and on Thurs morning myself and about 20 commuters at WG waited an hour with no information for a train to turn up.

FCC gave me a measly 2.00 rail travel voucher for each of those delays - it's disgusting, a joke. In order to get this 'compensation' I had to send them a copy of my ANNUAL RAILCARD. So what do they think I'm gonna do with rail vouchers?!!!!

Offline Cookie

« Reply #223 on: February 05, 2008, 08:43:43 pm »
That's very unlucky.  I was delayed for 1.5 hours on 9th Jan and 45 minutes on 10th Jan in the morning.  I applied for compensation and got a 6 voucher in return.  My season ticket is for 3 months and only goes to Finsbury Park.  The vouchers are valid for a year though or you buy other ral tickets with them.  Save them up and when your annual ticket is up for renewal, you might have a few vouchers - not that they nearly cover the cost ofprice rises in my experience.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #224 on: March 26, 2008, 08:45:01 am »
This might be of use if you travel on the train offpeak (after 9:30am) between Brookmans Park and Welwyn Garden City.

There is a slight fare anomaly which I discovered by accident yesterday - if you ask for a Cheap Day return between Brookmans Park and WGC it will cost you 3.50

However if you ask for a cheap day return between WGC and Brookmans Park it will cost you 50p less -3.

Naturally, there is no logic at all to this but it means saving 25 a year for me and every little helps....

Offline Strad

• Forum Member
« Reply #225 on: March 26, 2008, 08:54:47 am »
If you buy a ticket from WGC do you have to start your journey there? If you do, then the anomaly isn't much help if you plan to travel from BP.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2008, 09:08:47 am »
When travelling off peak, the ticket office at BP is not open and the ticket machine only works if there is a blue moon and you have observed a pig flying over you on the way there. So, 99 times out of 100 you have to buy your ticket at WGC...

Offline Mr Man

• Forum Member
« Reply #227 on: March 27, 2008, 08:47:14 am »
Another odd thing is that the ticket machines will keep your TRAVELCARD on returning to the station you started. It swallowed mine last night at Potters Bar, but I wanted it for the bus, so I made the attendant get it out the machine.

He said that a Potters Bar Travelcard is just a 1-6 travelcard, with a return to Potters Bar from Zone 6...not a true travelcard. Still, the machines shouldn't swallow the card.

And while we're talking about saving money, get a Network Railcard if you don't have a season ticket. 20 for a year, and it will pay for itself within 2 or 3 months. Slightly annoying that the minimum fare is 10 during the week off peak, but weekends get the full third off.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #228 on: May 19, 2008, 10:17:32 pm »
Alright then. Anyone have any idea why all the train times coming out from London in the evening peak have been moved earlier by a couple of minutes? Apart from to make me late for everything for the next two weeks whilst I forget?

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #229 on: May 20, 2008, 09:21:12 am »
I missed my train last night.  Has the new timetable just started?

Offline Strad

• Forum Member
« Reply #230 on: May 20, 2008, 09:43:24 am »
Yes, from 18th May

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #232 on: December 01, 2008, 08:56:20 pm »
Just a heads up, train fares are going up again in January.

BY 9%

>:(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7741162.stm

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2008, 04:57:06 pm »
Yeah...and probably the parking charges too!!!

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #234 on: January 07, 2009, 07:36:32 pm »
just me on a grumble over train fare increase calculations. I have worked out my fares have imcreased between 10% and 16%, depending on where i am going and this is local

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #235 on: January 09, 2009, 07:13:45 pm »
When Oyster Cards are introduced on trains will it include Brookmans Park?

If not - Potters Bar?  Hadley Wood?

It would be nice to know if anyone has any info

Offline slimgym

• Forum Member
« Reply #236 on: January 09, 2009, 08:11:13 pm »
Only in the zones, so Hadley Wood is the closest. The PAYG timescale is by the end of the year (season tickets within the zones are already valid using Oyster). National Rail is working on its own system of prepay using a different standard - ITSO. This was government suggested - Oyster is a proprietary system of a manufacturer.

Meanwhile the rail companies have been dragging their feet about introducing Oyster PAYG and I read a document the other day which suggested even though they've started selling paper tickets on a zonal basis, the price you'd pay using Oyster pre-pay might not be the same as the tube equivalent for the same zonal travel!

Offline slimgym

• Forum Member
« Reply #237 on: January 09, 2009, 08:22:48 pm »
Another odd thing is that the ticket machines will keep your TRAVELCARD on returning to the station you started. It swallowed mine last night at Potters Bar, but I wanted it for the bus, so I made the attendant get it out the machine.

I had this out with FCC customer relations and they were adamant they could do what they liked. A friend of mine who works for TfL raised a complaint against them and it turns out they can't keep the travelcard as it has onward validity on buses etc, but they have refused to allow the machine to return the ticket. Instead you have to ask the attendant to let you out through the manual gate if you wish to use it for onward travel. I don't know if he defaces the ticket or whatever but that's about the best you can expect from them.

He said that a Potters Bar Travelcard is just a 1-6 travelcard, with a return to Potters Bar from Zone 6...not a true travelcard. Still, the machines shouldn't swallow the card.

That's correct - which is why it keeps the ticket. I don't know why they didn't just reprogramme the ticket so it wouldn't be re-accepted for entry at Potters Bar, but it's their game I suppose and you have to keep to their rules. The ticket collectors almost seem to enjoy arguing with people who want the ticket back. Mad.

I stopped using the train a year back, drive to Cockfosters now and use PAYG instead, much cheaper. FCC have broken it, they can keep it.

Note: Edited only to add quote boxes. Click here for instructions how to use quote boxes.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:18:25 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2009, 12:03:08 am »
When Oyster Cards are introduced on trains will it include Brookmans Park?

If not - Potters Bar?  Hadley Wood?

It would be nice to know if anyone has any info

Oyster Monthly or Seasonal cards still apparently cover up to Hadley Wood. You can actually use Oyster Pay As You Go in Potters Bar but yes it does not apply to trains, only most buses towards London or if the buses go beyond Potters Bar (not towards London), there is a boundary within Potters Bar e.g. with the 84 oyster goes as far as Furzefield, i think.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:08:53 pm by Local Walker »

Offline slimgym

• Forum Member
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2009, 01:26:24 am »
Yep only as far as Hadley Wood. From a Brookmans point of view you could buy a point to point down to Oakleigh Park and a 4 zone oyster which is a little cheaper than a full annual (I think that's what started this thread off!). If you split the ticket at Hadley Wood it might give you a couple more zones but it's more expensive doing it that way.

Tags: