Author Topic: Train updates, news and information  (Read 281992 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Train updates, news and information
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2006, 08:52:11 pm »
The WAGN website says that due to engineering work, buses will replace trains between Finsbury Park and Stevenage via Welwyn Garden City every Saturday and Sunday from 1 April until 10 June 2006. More details.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 08:53:46 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2006, 09:31:40 pm »
So anybody wanting to go up to town pays Rail fare but gets Bus service. It wouldn't be so bad if it was half price.
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Mr Man

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2006, 10:16:37 am »
See this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5052494.stm

In a nutshell, if you buy a cheap day ticket after 0930, you won't be able to use it between 1600-1900...meaning you'll have to buy a new peak rate ticket.

How on earth can they justify this? The excuse is to reduce overcrowding, but if they're worried about overcrowding, they should be running more trains!

This is just another nail in the coffin for the average Joe trying to get to work.

Personally I don't have a season ticket, because I might only use the train a couple of times a week.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2006, 10:23:41 am »
That is a blow. It also seems a flawed strategy that could backfire.

I work from home and sometimes go to London on the cheap rate trains when they are less crowded (and to save money).

However, now it doesn't make financial sense to wait until the 09.33, I will probably pay full rate in future and go in earlier (during the rush hour - when the trains are overcrowded) and return (also when the trains are overcrowded).

Seems this is going to increase overcrowding - particularly in the mornings - rather than reduce it?

Or am I missing something?

David

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2006, 10:28:42 am »
From First Capital Connect's web site
We believe in providing good value for our customers and we see the new franchise as an opportunity to develop real, tangible benefits for customers across the board.

Their previous aim "…to give customers what they want, not what we think they want or what is easy to deliver" appears to have vanished.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2006, 10:41:06 am »
So I presume that if I want to do some work in London and still take advantage of the off-peak ticket I need to either stay until the evening, when the restriction is lifted, or cram all my meetings in between 11.00 (roughly the earliest time I could meet having caught the 09.33 from Brookmans Park) and 15.00 (roughly the latest time I could meet until, before having to leg it to the station to catch a train and alight at Brookmans Park before the 16.00 curfew takes place).

Does anyone know whether the restriction means you can't board a train between 1600-1900 or whether it means you can't be on a train during those hours. 

David
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 10:43:16 am by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2006, 11:05:18 am »
I've just found out more about the times of travel back. The information is on the First Capital Connect website.

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/uploads/DL_Leaflet.pdf 

The last unrestricted service is at 1620 (Moorgate) and 1626 (Finsbury Park) and the next unrestricted service is at 1905 (Moorgate) and 1911 (Finsbury Park).

So that leaves about five clear hours in London for meetings etc before the restrictions.

David

Offline Abbot

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2006, 11:09:24 am »
How I read it, is if you break your journey at New Barnet. Pop for a pint or do some shopping. Then get back on a train you are going from B to C, and then C to D. If you carry your Sainburys bag who knows if you got out?

70 Days into the franchise, looking forward to their first Sunday Rail Service, or has that been withdrawn?

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2006, 11:36:36 am »
<UNETHICAL ANSWER>

My season ticket has only been checked once so far this year on a peak train coming out of London, so for most people I guess the risk of being caught with an incorrect ticket is small and even if you are they will only charge you the excess and not penalty fare you...

<COMPLICATED ANSWER>

The restrictions only apply from Potters Bar outwards. So an extra 30 seconds at the ticket office, but...

Buy a peak day return from Brookmans Park to Hadley Wood. (£2.80). Then buy an offpeak travel card from Hadley Wood into London (£6.30) - you should be able to buy that at the BP ticket office. That actually works out cheaper (£9.10) than buying an offpeak travelcard (£10.40) from Brookmans Park anyway, so you'd be saving money, and you are allowed to travel back to Brookmans Park on that ticket combination whenever you like.

James
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 11:42:32 am by James Bentall »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2006, 11:49:41 am »
<UNETHICAL ANSWER>

My season ticket has only been checked once so far this year on a peak train coming out of London, so for most people I guess the risk of being caught with an incorrect ticket is small and even if you are they will only charge you the excess and not penalty fare you...

<COMPLICATED ANSWER>

The restrictions only apply from Potters Bar outwards. So an extra 30 seconds at the ticket office, but...

Buy a peak day return from Brookmans Park to Hadley Wood. (£2.80). Then buy an offpeak travel card from Hadley Wood into London (£6.30) - you should be able to buy that at the BP ticket office. That actually works out cheaper (£9.10) than buying an offpeak travelcard (£10.40) from Brookmans Park anyway, so you'd be saving money, and you are allowed to travel back to Brookmans Park on that ticket combination whenever you like.

James

1: Unethical answer - no, don't travelling with the wrong ticket - it is dishonest.
2: Well done finding an honest alternative, James. How long do you think it will take First Capital Connect to plug this gap?

David

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2006, 12:10:25 pm »
They can't to my knowledge as ticket conditions and prices from Hadley Wood inwards are set by Transport for London. They can only control from Potters Bar outwards which is why we pay such a premium....

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2006, 12:55:11 pm »
I used to use WAGN's offer of 'Kids for a pound' from time to time, it meant I could take the entire family for a day out in London for about 20 quid.

I guess that's no longer available.

So might as well drive to Cockfosters and take the tube - oh well, more traffic on the road.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2006, 02:03:51 pm »
I've had a good look at the new conditions and it seems that the restrictions are only valid if you join the mainline train at, or south of, Finsbury Park for your return journey.

If you were to travel (hypothetically of course) on the tube to Finsbury Park and join the train, as soon as you were at the next station, Harringey, the restriction would not apply if you said you boarded the train at a station north of FP.

As First Capital Connect's leaflet clearly states that penalty tickets will NOT be issued for such transgressions, it's hard to see there'd be much risk in ignoring the restriction.

All hypothetical of course, I don't want to suggest anyone does this, just pointing out how badly thought out the whole thing is.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2006, 04:40:58 pm »
Hmmm, will just have to have all my London-based meetings in the morning then. What rotters!

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2006, 03:59:21 pm »
I particularly like this bit:

"Will restrictions still apply even if a train is delayed
and therefore runs outside the restriction times?

Yes, the restriction applies to the service even if it is delayed;
however in certain circumstances it may be deemed
appropriate to lift restrictions. In these cases station staff and
on-board announcements will keep customers informed."

In other words, "can we charge extra for our own incompetence, poor service and mistakes?  Yes, we can and most likely will."

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2006, 11:30:20 am »
This just in from Hertfordshire Constabulary.

June 9, 2006
RAILWAY OPERATION AT POTTERS BAR
By Corporate Communication Dept

A RECENT operation at Potters Bar Train Station resulted in two arrests and £630 being collected in unpaid fares.

The joint operation between Hertfordshire Constabulary, British Transport Police and First Capital Connect, the train operators, will be a regular feature at the station.

The operation, at the beginning of the month, resulted in an 18 year old from Welham Green being arrested on suspicion on theft of a mobile phone – and the arrest of an 18 year old from South Mimms for possession of a small quantity of cannabis.

As well as £630 being collected from people who hadn’t paid their fares, another 13 people were stopped from using tickets that were fraudulent in some way.

PC Chris Rowley from Potters Bar Community Team said: “The operation aims to tackle criminals who are using the rail network to come into Potters Bar and commit crime.

“A regular police presence at the station will deter them from doing this and will also deter offences from being committed in and around the station.

“There have been increased reports of pickpockets operating around local shops so residents need to be aware of this,

“The operation was a success and many people said how pleased they were to see us patrolling in the area.”

/End of police news release.

Note:

The joint operation between Hertfordshire Constabulary, British Transport Police and First Capital Connect, the train operators, will be a regular feature at the station.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 11:33:50 am by David Brewer »

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2006, 09:05:00 am »
After the stick some of us me included have given the police fair to say this seems like a smart piece of targeted policing bringing results.

Max

« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2006, 12:29:39 pm »
It has been my experience on the past few times I have used BP station, that it is not always as easy to pay your fair as you might like it to be. Does the machine now take credit cards? Last time I tried to use it, I did not have the necessary change.

Surely if we can afford to invade Iraq, surely we could afford to keep railway stations staffed?

.....the arrest of an 18 year old from South Mimms for possession of a small quantity of cannabis.

Glad to see the good folk of BP and PB can all sleep safely in their beds at night!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 06:04:12 pm by Max »

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2006, 11:40:02 am »
We couldnt afford to invade Iraq.

I thought the machine did take credit/debit cards? Must admit I only use train a couple of times a month so cant really remember.

Max

« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2006, 07:32:22 pm »
Probably does. The last time I tried to use it was on a trip up to London (Tate Modern) about 4 years ago, and all I remember was that I was unable to pay despite a desire to do so. Might well have been vandalised.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2006, 09:35:47 pm »
What is really bugging is that if you want to buy more than one ticket from the machine, you have to enter the card twice (or three times, etc), which is bad enough, but if you try that it won't let you use the same credit card more than once!!! So you have to get out the old cards you never use.
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2006, 06:31:22 pm »
The Times and The Evening Standard have reported that FCC have partially retreated over these plans

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,10295-2248275.html

The good news for us is that Brookmans Park (along with Potters Bar, Welham Green, Hatfield, WGC and 8 other stations) will no longer be subject to these new rules, so you can buy cheap day returns as you could before 11th June.

James

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2006, 06:12:49 am »
The Times and The Evening Standard have reported that FCC have partially retreated over these plans

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,10295-2248275.html

The good news for us is that Brookmans Park (along with Potters Bar, Welham Green, Hatfield, WGC and 8 other stations) will no longer be subject to these new rules, so you can buy cheap day returns as you could before 11th June.

James

Hi James,

That is good news, well spotted. Have you seen any confirmation of this from First Capital Connect?

I saw exactly the same words on This Is Money, but can't find a news release from the company.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2006, 07:21:23 am »
Important

First Capital Connect told me this morning that the restricted fares STILL apply for Brookmans Park and Welham Green, however they are reviewing the scheme and it's likely that both stations will be removed from the restrictions on Monday July 10 - although they were not able to confirm this date.

So it seems that those travelling on off peak tickets will still not be able to return between 16:30 and 19:01 until then.

David

Offline Gestapo

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2006, 03:45:46 pm »
<UNETHICAL ANSWER>

<COMPLICATED ANSWER>

James

If you do this you will need to be on a train that stops at Hadley Wood otherwise your tickets are not valid. not a problem though for Brookmans Park.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 03:49:47 pm by Gestapo »

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2006, 03:14:08 pm »
Important

First Capital Connect told me this morning that the restricted fares STILL apply for Brookmans Park and Welham Green, however they are reviewing the scheme and it's likely that both stations will be removed from the restrictions on Monday July 10 - although they were not able to confirm this date.

So it seems that those travelling on off peak tickets will still not be able to return between 16:30 and 19:01 until then.

David

What about Cuffley and Potters Bar stations ?

Bob

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2006, 10:50:54 pm »
The answer to my question is in the WHT this week confirming the date as next monday and adding extra stations  ;D
Bob

Offline Gestapo

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2006, 04:54:41 pm »
Just for information I have found out that if a group of 4 are planning to go to london and were going to but travelcards, you can now get a (group save 4 on travelcards) and you all pay half price.

WOW what a saving

And if only 3 are going you can get a (group save 3 on travelcards) and all get a third off.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2006, 07:16:34 am »
Restrictions lifted for local stations from today, Monday 10 July. Click here for more.

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2006, 03:45:25 pm »
Does anyone know if the trains will be running from WG/BP on Friday morning?

Tags: