Author Topic: Georges Wood  (Read 4335 times)

Offline AK

• Opinions on some things
Georges Wood
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:20:16 pm »
Does anyone know the status of Georges Wood? Most of the woodland and fields surrounding BP are crossed with paths, but we haven't come across any leading into Georges Wood. Is it privately owed? Is there public walking access?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Georges Wood
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 09:09:25 am »
Georges Wood I am pretty sure is privately owned and there is no right of way for the public. This is only second hand information from someone who lives in GWR backing onto the wood so perhaps someone else knows more details.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Georges Wood
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 11:06:42 am »
It is a privately owned wood.  But from personal experience, some residents of houses backing onto it do walk through the wood.  Presumably it is trespassing  since there are no rights of way.

Georges Wood is still owned by the John White Custodian Trust (aka Whites Estates).  They were one of the major developers of Brookmans Park along with the Crawfords.  Whites Estates also owns Georges Wood Road itself but the people who own the houses pay the Frontagers Association to maintain the road since it has not been adopted by the council.  There are similar Frontagers Associations for Mymms Drive and Brookmans Avenue for the same reason.

Whites Estates still owns various other pieces of land including the land on Bulls Lane where a gypsy and travellers camp has been recommended (see elsewhere on this Forum), and the field between the southern end of Bell Lane and the Nolita restaurant, opposite the Dutch Nursery.

Referring back to Alex's query on 5th November 2007, the Potters Bar Society has a Walks Group but their walks are on Sundays.  Details on www.pbsoc.org.uk.  Alex could search the website of the Ramblers Assoc who might do local walks.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
Georges Wood
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 07:36:48 pm »
I have many happy memories of playing in Georges Wood. In those days one could access the wood from the Golf Course Road, to the left of the house on the corner of Georges Wood Road, Brookmans Avenue and Mymms Drive. Then fences went up and horses were kept in the field. Before Chancellor's School was there I remember gathering acorns to stuff the guy we'd made for the Gay Fawkes bonfire, they made great crackling sounds as they burnt. One could just cross the field into the wood. Then one day a 'nasty man' chased us off the field, telling us it was private! Shortly afterwards building of the school started.

The wood was also a great place for blackberry picking. Until recently there used to be access adjacent to the coach turn at Chancellors. Since the school field was extended to that area I don't know if one can still get through, legally or by trespassing.

When I was a pupil at Chancellors the cross country runs included a circuit of the woods, so we must have all been tresspassing! Ummm, I better tell teacher!

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Georges Wood
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 11:57:34 pm »
I too remember doing cross country running through Georges Wood as a pupl of Chancellors in the late 70's

Happy times ! (well looking back they were)

Tags: