Author Topic: Aircraft noise  (Read 7989 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Aircraft noise
« on: February 21, 2008, 07:20:57 am »
It's being claimed that residents living in and around Brookmans Park could benefit from reduced aircraft noise pollution due to proposals for new flight paths for London's airports. A site enables people to put in their postcode to see how they will be affected. Click here for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Aircraft noise
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 07:33:33 am »
More on this from the Press Association which is reporting...

Nats is proposing to reduce congestion over Brookmans Park in Hertfordshire caused by converging departure routes from Heathrow, Luton, London City and Northolt airports; and relocate and separate the holding facilities for Luton and Stansted to accommodate their growth. The airports currently share two holds - but under these proposals each would have a dedicated hold and Stansted an additional hold.

Click here for more.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Johnny Redd

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 03:04:26 pm »
Having looked briefly at the NATS website, the good news is that a number of the the departure routes from the 'secondary' airports ( i.e. Luton, Northolt) are being proposed to route North around the top of Luton which will theoretically result in less noise. Reaslistically, however these airfields are currently used by aircraft of 737 size or smaller so its questionable how many people will notice the difference during an average working day.

Departures out of Heathrow are being moved North but, as the corridor that 90% of aircraft are expected to operate in covers pretty much all of 'our' area, with Welham Green at it's centre, I dont think many people will notice the difference.

My question is however, what is this a precurser too??

It is generally accepted that, with the proposed third runway at Heathrow and the new Terminal 5, the skies overhed will get busier. Therefore, why are the Luton etc departures being moved North?? If Heathrow is going to need more airspace for it's departures, are we are going to just get more, much heavier/noisier aircraft crossing our bit of sky towards the east coast.

I think we should be told....................... :-\ 

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 10:20:23 pm »
It may be a result of living reasonably close to the train line, but I have to say that I don't notice any aircraft noise at all. Dustmen at silly o'clock in the morning - yes, Brookmans - yes, Aircraft - no! Is it a major problem for anyone else in the village?
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Mr Green

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 10:46:59 pm »
I see 'em overhead - but I don't 'ear em'.

Offline Albert Ross

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 08:28:26 am »
I hear and notice aircraft a lot over B.P. I have also noticed an increase lately, mind you I think the helecopters are more of a problem especially on a clear day.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 09:38:38 am »
The only aircraft noise I notice is not scheduled airliners but small Cessnas, helicopters (both from Panshanger and police) and various microlights.

Can't say I've ever been bothered by airliners, modern turbofan aircraft coming into Heathrow are pretty quiet in comparison to older generation 707's, and the like.

I don't think we've got anything to worry about in BP.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:55:13 am »
I agree with Sasquartch, and I live on a quiet country lane.

To add to his list, we occasionally see a Spitfire or Hurricane or a biplane.  A Spitfire flew over a couple of weeks ago and did a slow barrel roll as it headed east and had passed Queenswood School.  A great sight.  We also get microlights occasionally.

The clear skies in recent weeks have shown a vast number of contrails of planes at about 30,000 feet.  There is a Brookmans Park radio beacon which they use for navigation which must be why we get so many over this area.

Offline Grumpy Old Roy

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 06:27:25 pm »

Did any one pick up on Thursday's Evening Standard, page 11, top right hand. It says, quoting proposed changing of flight paths, that,  north & north east routes would be changed to avoid congestion over Brookmans Park. I kid you not.

Wow, I knew BP was a nice place to live, but I didn't know we were that important, or is it that some one up there likes us! Or, is it as I suspect, devious estate agents attempting to up the antie of BP property values?

Answers please.

Grumpy Old Roy

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 06:37:56 pm »
Hi Roy,

I have merged your new post on 'London's flight plans' with an existing thread on the same topic (just so we keep similar discussions together). See lead item on site for more info.  Click here.

David

Offline Nonloso

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 08:21:44 pm »
Yes Roy, Brookmans Park is very important indeed in air traffic terms! Brookmans Park (or BPK as it is known) is a navigational beacon used by aircraft taking off from Heathrow on their way to northern Europe.  The route is known as a standard instrument departure or SID. Whether or not the route is being used depends on the runways in use, which is why the amount of air traffic over Brookmans Park varies from day to day. Interestingly enough, the BPK beacon itself is nowhere near Brookmans Park - it's off White Stubbs Lane halfway to Broxbourne.

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 09:34:35 pm »
In 1996 we flew to Perth in Australia and having just taken off from Heathrow the Captain came on to give us the usual 'welcome to the flight' speech and told us we were going to be flying over Brookmans Park and then lots of other exotic places. We felt most proud!

Tags: