Author Topic: Many trees being killed daily  (Read 3409 times)

Jacqui_Wash

Many trees being killed daily
« on: June 02, 2003, 08:26:14 pm »
Has anyone else noticed there are 3 dead mature trees in Peplins Way??  The cause is very clear - all the bark has been stripped from the bottom by strimmers!!  If you look at any tree in Peplins Way (or presumably any public tree in Welwyn and Hatfield area) you will see they are similarly damaged.  On this basis we should expect a massive loss of our beautiful trees over the next few months/years.  This is a terrible tragedy for our environment.

I have observed the council contractors actually strimming right against the bark of the tree outside my house, leaving raw wounds in the flesh.

I rang the council last week and spoke to the dep in charge of the contractors and was told they would be "sent a reminder".  Unhappy with the lethargic response I rang the tree dep today, and although they were concerned I was told that the current contract had "no teeth' and there was little that could be done unitil the contract was renewed at the end of the year.

How would the council treat a member of the public destroying a tree?  And yet the contractors that we pay for are at liberty to destroy any number.

Ideas on how we can save the remaining trees from this fate?

Jacqui Wash

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Many trees being killed daily
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 06:22:27 pm »
A few more pictures of the damaged bark at the base of the three trees in Peplins.  
More pictures in the news item

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 06:52:03 pm »
The council says it will inspect the trees and replace them if necessary. more..
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Jacqui_Wash

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 05:09:18 pm »
I am sorry to report that the situation continues to worsen, and more trees are being destroyed.  I have rung the council again and today wrote to them.  Sections of the letter are included below.  I see 169 people have read about this matter on the website.  Perhaps it wcould make a difference if everyone inspected the trees in their road, and notified the council of dead or damaged trees.

The number to call is 357525, or write to the Tree Department, WHC, Campus East, WGC, Herts, AL8 6AE.

My letter:

"Thank you for inspecting the trees and putting the card through my door.  

I was surprised that you only found one dead tree when there are definitely three one outside no. 12, one opposite nos. 2/2a and one opposite no. 41....

....It also seems pointless to keep replacing mature trees with saplings.  There are 3 new saplings in the top section of Peplins Way that have already lost about 90% of the bark from the base.  I doubt they will survive the year.

Placing protectors around saplings will not help the situation either.  I placed a protective heavy-duty plastic sleeve around the tree outside my house and no. 11 on Sunday.  I observed the contractors strimming yesterday, and when I went out to look I found they had cut gaping holes right through the plastic of both trees!  It would appear there was no guard on the machine.

Sadly, despite reporting the problem to your contractors department two weeks ago, nothing has changed.  It is an environmental tragedy to allow the contractors systematically to destroy the trees, not only in Peplins Way, but presumably right across the Welwyn and Hatfield district.  At the moment I do not feel the problem is being taken seriously by the council.

I would like you to revisit Peplins Way so that I can show you the full extent of the damage, not all of which I have been able to cover here. "

Tags: