Poll

Which of the following were the top three reasons in your list? Please use the other option if I have missed your objection and feel free to expand on the point in the thread. I have set the poll for three votes per person.

Building on green belt
7 (21.2%)
Local/national development policy
0 (0%)
Local/national recycling strategy
2 (6.1%)
The local environment/nature
7 (21.2%)
Emissions and air quality
9 (27.3%)
Size and aesthetics
2 (6.1%)
Traffic implications
4 (12.1%)
Blight and effect on house prices
2 (6.1%)
Other (please add details below)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: August 28, 2013, 09:38:08 am

Linked Events

• Environment Agency consultation drop in session on incinerat: March 22, 2012
  • Environment Agency public consultation on incinerator operat: April 18, 2012
  • Incinderator planning meeting - Campus West: July 19, 2012
  • Waste Sites Allocations Public Hearing, County Hall, Hertford: September 03, 2013 - September 05, 2013
  • Incinerator protest Fielder Centre, Hatfield Business Park: September 10, 2013
  • Incinerator Public Inquiry, Fielder Centre, Hatfield Bus Park: September 10, 2013 - September 12, 2013
  • Incinerator Public Inquiry Ramada Comet Hotel or other: September 17, 2013 - September 19, 2013
  • Incinerator Public Inquiry Ramada Comet Hotel or other: September 24, 2013 - September 26, 2013
  • Incinerator Public Inquiry Ramada Comet Hotel or other: October 08, 2013 - October 10, 2013
  • Incinerator Public Inquiry Ramada Comet Hotel or other: October 15, 2013 - October 17, 2013
  • Incinerator Public Inquiry Ramada Comet Hotel or other: October 22, 2013 - October 24, 2013
  • Waste Sites Allocations Public Hearing County Hall Hertford: November 05, 2013 - November 06, 2013

Author Topic: Hatfield incinerator - what's going on?  (Read 543714 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Hatfield incinerator - what's going on?
« Reply #810 on: June 30, 2013, 07:35:33 am »
I am hoping that many more councillors will be there for start of actual Inquiry on Sept 10th.

Cathy, what other dates are there in the campaign diary?
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #811 on: July 04, 2013, 07:21:15 pm »
We received the letter (below) in the post today.

<a href="http://www.brookmans.com/pdfs/Incinerator_submission2013.PDF" target="_blank">http://www.brookmans.com/pdfs/Incinerator_submission2013.PDF</a>
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Cathy

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #812 on: July 05, 2013, 09:45:20 am »
Yes, HAI and NBAF know about this letter, and everyone who objected to the Waste Sites document should have received the letter.

The Herts Waste Sites Allocations document, which is part of the overall plan for waste in Hertfordshire, has not yet been to a Hearing in Public and is not yet Herts County Council policy. This letter is saying that the Waste Sites document has now been submitted and will go to a Hearing in Public, possibly later this year. The Waste Sites document lists New Barnfield as a possible waste site, with potential for thermal treatment (i.e. incineration).

This is a separate procedure from Veolia’s Planning Application, which goes to Public Inquiry, starting on September 10th, and running from Tuesday to Friday lunchtime, Sept 10-13, Sept 17-20, Sept 24-27. Then there will be a week’s break until Oct 8-11, Oct 15-18, and Oct 22-25 probably. We hope lots of opponents of the incinerator will be there early on Sept 10th, and attend as many other days as they can.

Part of our case at the Public Inquiry is that the Planning Application is premature because the Herts Waste Sites Allocations document has not been approved.

The Waste Sites document went out a second time for Public Consultation in Feb – March 2012, and over 2000 objections to the inclusion of New Barnfield as a waste site were made. As the recent letter says, this Waste Sites document will go to a Hearing in Public at some point, exact date not yet stated.
HAI have submitted detailed objections to the Waste Sites document, and we will send representatives to the Hearing in Public.
It is important that if/when the Public Inquiry and Secretary of State reject Veolia’s Planning Application, New Barnfield is also removed from the Herts Waste Sites document and from any possibility of ever being used as a waste site.

Offline Cathy

• Forum Member
« Reply #813 on: July 14, 2013, 08:00:39 pm »
Hearing in Public
for Hertfordshire Waste Sites Allocations document dates announced  to be September 3, 4 and 5th, and Nov 5th and 6th
(Nov 5th will be specifically about the new barnfield site)

1. THE PUBLIC INQUIRY
Veolia’s Planning Application, for a 380,000 tonnes per year waste incinerator at New Barnfield, is to be considered at  a Public Inquiry, running Sept 10-13, Sept 17-20, Sept 24-27, then a week’s break, and running Oct 8-11, Oct 15-8 and Oct 22-25th probably. This will be held for the first week at the Fielder Centre on the Hatfield Business Park, and later at the Ramada Comet Hotel Hatfield, and unknown venues.

Please will all those opposed to an incinerator at New Barnfield try to come to a protest outside the Fielder Centre from 9.30 a.m. on Sept 10th and then go inside to listen to the Inquiry, on whichever days you can. There will be room for 100 of the public in the Inquiry hall, and an overflow room.

At this Public Inquiry the parties opposing the incinerator will be:
•   New Barnfield Action Fund (which includes Hatfield against Incineration, Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, Hatfield Town Council, North Mymms Parish Council, and North Mymms Green Belt Society)
•   Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council
•   Gascoyne Cecil Estates (Hatfield House)
•   English Heritage.
The parties proposing the incinerator will be:-
•   Veolia Environmental Services
•   Hertfordshire County Council

The Inquiry will begin at 10 a.m. Tuesday to Friday.
There will also be an evening when members of the public can express their views.

2. THE HERTFORDSHIRE WASTE SITES ALLOCATIONS DOCUMENT – HEARING IN PUBLIC

The Waste Sites Allocations Document is the second part of the policy for waste for the whole of Hertfordshire. The first part of the policy for waste is called the Waste Core Strategy, and this part has already been agreed and approved by an inspector.
The Waste Sites Allocations Document lists many potential waste sites in Hertfordshire, including New Barnfield, which it lists as suitable for various waste uses, including thermal treatment (i.e. incineration).This second part of the waste policy for Hertfordshire has not yet been agreed and approved by an inspector.

It has now been announced the Waste Sites Allocations Document will go to a Hearing in Public, in front of an independent inspector, on Sept 3 – 5th, and on Nov 5th and 6th. The session on Nov 5th will be specifically about the New Barnfield site.
This Hearing in Public will be at County Hall, Hertford. We do not yet know how much room there will be for the public to listen to this Hearing – but the Hearing is open to the public, and we hope some of you will come to listen, especially on Nov 5th.

The Waste Sites Allocations Document has been out to consultation twice (Feb – March  2012 and Nov –Dec 2012). At the first consultation there were over 2000 objections to the inclusion of New Barnfield as a waste site, and at the second consultation there were 2317 objections.

Hatfield against Incineration sent in detailed objections, as did Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, Welwyn Hatfield Friends of the Earth, and Herts Without Waste. These organisations will be attending the Hearing in Public and putting the case against the use of New Barnfield as a waste site.

You may have received a letter or email from Herts County Council about this Hearing in Public. This is probably because you sent in an objection.

You will notice that the Hearing into the Waste Sites Allocations Document begins before the Public Inquiry into Veolia’s Planning Application and then continues after the Public Inquiry. This is to avoid total overlap.

3. PREMATURITY
At the Public Inquiry into the Planning Application, one of the important arguments against the Planning Application will be that it is premature, because the Waste Sites Allocations Document has not yet been approved by an inspector.
…………………………………………………………………………………………
Further detail about the Public Inquiry into Veolia’s Planning Application
and about the Hearing in Public into the Waste Sites Allocations Document can be found on Hertfordshire County Council’s website www.hertsdirect.org

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #814 on: July 14, 2013, 08:08:19 pm »
Thanks for the update Cathy. I have tweeted.

It would be good if we could have a list of all the Twitter accounts for all the bodies that are campaigning, along with any chosen #hashtags for the campaign.  Could someone post them here, please?  Then we could create a Twitter list to ensure all information is shared in the most effective way.

David

Offline trekbat

• Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #815 on: July 17, 2013, 09:16:14 am »

Fury as County Hall narrowly votes not to scrap Hatfield incinerator
"A BID to scrap the controversial New Barnfield incinerator was thrown out at County Hall yesterday (Tuesday) – by a majority of just seven votes.

Amongst those who voted not to abandon the waste burner was Hatfield Rural representative Marks Mills-Bishop."

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/fury_as_county_hall_narrowly_votes_not_to_scrap_hatfield_incinerator_1_2282190

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #816 on: July 17, 2013, 09:30:30 am »
Not impressed. I have an email from Mr Mills-Bishop before he was elected stating his opposition to the proposed incinerator. I have emailed him back to ask him why he did not vote against it last night and will see if I get an answer....
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Chungdokwan

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #817 on: July 17, 2013, 06:37:32 pm »
Cllr Bishop may well choke on this information.

Extract from The Guardian, 10th July 2013

"Air pollution, chiefly from traffic exhaust fumes in cities, is having a serious and sometimes fatal effect on health, according to two studies that link it to lung cancer and heart failure.

"Air pollution increases the risk of lung cancer even at levels lower than those recommended by the European Union, which are also standard in the UK, says a paper in the Lancet Oncology journal. Although smoking is a far bigger cause of lung cancer, a significant number of people will get the disease because of where they live.

"The study, codenamed Escape, combined data from 17 cohort studies in nine European countries covering a total of almost 313,000 people. The size of the research gives it greater authority than previous work."

I recommend highly that concerned residents read the original Guardian article referenced below and, if they wish to, they can access the source data which can be accessed via the US National Library of Medicine (NLM) archives but The Lancet paper may not be free.

Ref: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jul/10/air-pollution-lung-cancer-heart-failure

Residents of North Mymms and the surrounding area should be very concerned. Residents of Welham Green ought to be most concerned regarding the lorries unloading their foul refuse to be burned whilst pouring out exhaust fumes. Will air quality get worse? Is the Pope catholic?

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #818 on: July 17, 2013, 06:50:21 pm »

Offline epiphany

« Reply #819 on: July 17, 2013, 09:39:02 pm »
Not impressed. I have an email from Mr Mills-Bishop before he was elected stating his opposition to the proposed incinerator. I have emailed him back to ask him why he did not vote against it last night and will see if I get an answer....

http://markmills-bishop.yourcllr.com/diary/

Mr Mills-Bishop appears to be suffering some sort of memory loss.

It was only just over two months ago that he made the following pledges in his election address.

Apart fom extolling us to Keep The Faith (what?) he said -

"I will ensure that residents opposition to New Barnfield is made known at the public enquiry"

"The proposed incinerator at New Barnfield is the wrong site"

I suspect that he is now just being a good little conservative councillor and doing what he is told.

(Sod the electorate).

Election leaflet with the No. 1 priority being.........

"I will continue to oppose the incinerator at New Barnfield"

hahahahahahahahaha

<a href="http://www.welwynhatfieldconservatives.org.uk/sites/www.welwynhatfieldconservatives.org.uk/files/markmillsbishop_election_address_hatfieldrural.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.welwynhatfieldconservatives.org.uk/sites/www.welwynhatfieldconservatives.org.uk/files/markmillsbishop_election_address_hatfieldrural.pdf</a>

Edited to embed PDF
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:09:28 pm by David Brewer »

Offline epiphany

« Reply #820 on: July 17, 2013, 09:40:59 pm »
Cllr Bishop may well choke on this information.

I don't think so - he lives in Cheshunt!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #821 on: July 17, 2013, 10:27:32 pm »

Perhaps he forgot what he promised when he was trying to win votes?  Easily done, we all forget things every now and then.  Pity we can't get a refund on politicians.

::)

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #822 on: July 18, 2013, 04:03:20 pm »
Clearly the Trade Descriptions Act / Employment Law doesn't apply to councillors.

Mark Mills-Bishop claimed in his electoral material that he was opposed to the incinerator yet has apparently fallen at the first hurdle of party loyalty he has had to face.

If you or I had made what increasingly looks like a blatantly false claim (I seriously doubt he would have been elected if he had said he was going to follow the Conservative HCC line) and got a job we would rightly be fired. Mr Mills-Bishop on the other hand can look forward to several more years of payments from taxpayers.

I look forward to hearing his explanation for his action.

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #823 on: July 19, 2013, 10:19:19 am »
I seriously doubt he would have been elected if he had said he was going to follow the Conservative HCC line

I wish that were true but the fact is he got 60% of the vote (1100 more than his nearest rival - UKIP). Hertfordshire Lemmings just can't stop themselves voting blue.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #824 on: July 19, 2013, 10:38:28 am »
I wish that were true but the fact is he got 60% of the vote (1100 more than his nearest rival - UKIP). Hertfordshire Lemmings just can't stop themselves voting blue.

It is hard to retain faith and trust in the political process when this sort of thing happens. If politicians don't do what they say they will do we are in a sorry state.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #825 on: July 19, 2013, 10:58:22 am »

Then can if sufficiently annoyed. Speak to ex Hatfield/Welham Green Conservative Councillor Stuart Pile for further details....
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #826 on: July 19, 2013, 02:18:27 pm »
After our inaugural meeting, we have decided to 'officially' join the campaign against the Hatfield Incinerator.

There is a meeting arranged for next Thursday 25th July 7.30pm, venue to be confirmed.

Please let me know if you would like to join us, as numbers will dictate the venue.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:54:37 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Paul Zukowskyj

« Reply #827 on: July 19, 2013, 11:27:58 pm »
Got a call from a reporter at the WH Times today. Apparently Cllr Mills-Bishop was contacted by them earlier this week, after the vote at HCC.

When asked why he'd failed to support his residents over the incinerator, his response was that fulfilling his promise to oppose the incinerator wasn't that important and there were much more important things to concentrate on.

When asked whether he'd consider resigning because he broke his number one priority, his response was to laugh.

I've therefore given them a quote saying he should resign because he lacks the integrity needed to represent the electorate.

I think another councillor had it pretty much right, immediately after the vote they called him a liar to his face.

I now have serious doubts about Cllr Mills-Bishop's integrity. Perhaps it is time to point out to the electorate exactly what they got when they voted for him last May........

Paul

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #828 on: July 20, 2013, 09:05:47 am »
When asked why he'd failed to support his residents over the incinerator, his response was that fulfilling his promise to oppose the incinerator wasn't that important and there were much more important things to concentrate on.

Did he list the issues he felt were "much more important"? 

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #829 on: July 20, 2013, 09:41:52 am »

That Cllr Mills-Bishop was reported as having performed a 'volte face' after his election was mentioned as a concern in the Inaugural meeting of the BPRA.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 10:25:32 am by Mermaid »

Offline Paul Zukowskyj

« Reply #830 on: July 20, 2013, 11:18:37 am »

Did he list the issues he felt were "much more important"?

I don't believe so. The WH Times Reporter didn't mention any. I suspect the 'much more important things' are to do with cosying up to the leadership in the Conservative Group and being seen as a good little lap dog.

That Cllr Mills-Bishop was reported as having performed a 'volte face' after his election was mentioned as a concern in the Inaugural meeting of the BPRA.

That's good to hear. I've raised it with a number of people too. Some haven't got back to me, others have expressed either astonishment or anger, some have expressed both. All appear to be deeply unimpressed.......

John_fraser

« Reply #831 on: July 20, 2013, 12:52:39 pm »
This is Mr Mills-Bishop's flyer

<a href="http://www.welwynhatfieldconservatives.org.uk/sites/www.welwynhatfieldconservatives.org.uk/files/markmillsbishop_election_address_hatfieldrural.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.welwynhatfieldconservatives.org.uk/sites/www.welwynhatfieldconservatives.org.uk/files/markmillsbishop_election_address_hatfieldrural.pdf</a>

The top priority is:
I will continue to oppose the incinerator at New Barnfield.  Working as a community has made us stronger.
He also says
Residents’ concerns on developments must be raised. The proposed incinerator at New Barnfield is the wrong site...

So what became more important than what he listed as the top priority? Does he think we're stupid and forget a broken promise? And is he right?

Offline Paul Zukowskyj

« Reply #832 on: July 20, 2013, 02:19:35 pm »
What became more important? I refer you to my earlier answer......... >:(

Offline Paul Zukowskyj

« Reply #833 on: July 20, 2013, 02:21:57 pm »
Not  >:( at you John Fraser, angry at Cllr Mills-Bishop.

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #834 on: July 20, 2013, 03:00:54 pm »
Looks like he's following in the footsteps of his predecessor Bill Storey. I wonder whether they'll pull the same trick a second time ie. he steps down and doesn't contest the next election because the party knows he won't stand an earthly, so they field a new candidate who says he's against whatever voters are against (presumably the incinerator outcome will have been decided by then).

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #835 on: July 20, 2013, 03:44:33 pm »
If this is how Conservatives behave then they won't get many people's votes, mine included.

No trust - no vote.

I hope Grant Shapps sees this post and calls him to account. As Conservative party chairman I would have thought his job in part was to promote the general interests of the party and this surely includes honesty, integrity and competence of elected representatives.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #836 on: July 20, 2013, 06:25:26 pm »
Ok so we know this guy is certainly not a "trusted local campaigner" at least any more. Just make sure if he stand again he loses.

This is a total mess for the Conservatives from start to finish. They brought in this plan. They are also opposing it. They have organised and distributed the campaign leaflets promising this councillor would oppose the incinerator. So was he following party orders on the election campaign or was he under party orders when he betrayed his voters?

Local people who vote conservative at every election need to have a good think before the next county elections whoever stands.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #837 on: July 21, 2013, 06:55:47 pm »
Hi Mermaid,

I have split this post into its own thread. Any update on the venue of the meeting yet?

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #838 on: July 21, 2013, 08:08:10 pm »
Got a call from a reporter at the WH Times today. Apparently Cllr Mills-Bishop was contacted by them earlier this week, after the vote at HCC.

Does anyone have the exact wording of the motion and a document/link with the official record of the voting? 

John_fraser

« Reply #839 on: July 21, 2013, 08:36:03 pm »
Item 13 of the agenda on 16th July is:

" This Council recognises the strength of public feeling expressed in the recent local elections that the people of Hatfield, including Brookmans Park and Welham Green, and the Colneys have the strongest objections to the proposed incinerator at New Barnfield in Hatfield.

This Council therefore requests Cabinet to immediately withdraw the incinerator proposal at New Barnfield and explore alternatives."

Tags: