Poll

Which of the following were the top three reasons in your list? Please use the other option if I have missed your objection and feel free to expand on the point in the thread. I have set the poll for three votes per person.

Building on green belt
7 (21.2%)
Local/national development policy
0 (0%)
Local/national recycling strategy
2 (6.1%)
The local environment/nature
7 (21.2%)
Emissions and air quality
9 (27.3%)
Size and aesthetics
2 (6.1%)
Traffic implications
4 (12.1%)
Blight and effect on house prices
2 (6.1%)
Other (please add details below)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: August 28, 2013, 09:38:08 am

Linked Events

• Environment Agency consultation drop in session on incinerat: March 22, 2012
  • Environment Agency public consultation on incinerator operat: April 18, 2012
  • Incinderator planning meeting - Campus West: July 19, 2012
  • Waste Sites Allocations Public Hearing, County Hall, Hertford: September 03, 2013 - September 05, 2013
  • Incinerator protest Fielder Centre, Hatfield Business Park: September 10, 2013
  • Incinerator Public Inquiry, Fielder Centre, Hatfield Bus Park: September 10, 2013 - September 12, 2013
  • Incinerator Public Inquiry Ramada Comet Hotel or other: September 17, 2013 - September 19, 2013
  • Incinerator Public Inquiry Ramada Comet Hotel or other: September 24, 2013 - September 26, 2013
  • Incinerator Public Inquiry Ramada Comet Hotel or other: October 08, 2013 - October 10, 2013
  • Incinerator Public Inquiry Ramada Comet Hotel or other: October 15, 2013 - October 17, 2013
  • Incinerator Public Inquiry Ramada Comet Hotel or other: October 22, 2013 - October 24, 2013
  • Waste Sites Allocations Public Hearing County Hall Hertford: November 05, 2013 - November 06, 2013

Author Topic: Hatfield incinerator - what's going on?  (Read 576198 times)

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Hatfield incinerator - what's going on?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 12:53:19 pm »
A sad result after all the campaigning.  But there may be a faint hope that we are putting so little into our black bins now that Veolia will decide there wont be enough material to justify such a huge investment.  We have a year or two as they have to go through the planning application process and there will be more campaigning against the incinerator - led by our MP, Grant Schapps.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 09:58:33 am »
Just in from WHC.

3 May 2011

Incinerator bidder - Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council reaction

Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council is very disappointed by the news that Veolia Environmental Services is Hertfordshire County Council’s preferred bidder for its incinerator project.

The announcement, following a meeting of the county council’s Cabinet, means that New Barnfield, near Hatfield, has been earmarked as the proposed site for the Energy from Waste facility.

But, says Chief Executive Michel Saminaden, this is not the end of the story for the hotly-debated project.

Veolia will now work up its proposals in more detail for submission as a planning application to the county council in its capacity as Waste Planning Authority (WPA). The WPA will prepare a formal report, concluding with a recommendation on whether or not planning permission should be granted. This will be considered by the county council’s Development Control Committee. The county council will need to base its decision on the policies in its development plan. These policies are still subject to public examination.

The borough council will be a consultee in this process, and will continue to vigorously feedback the views of the local community to the county council.

“We are extremely disappointed,” said the Chief Executive. “We disagree with the county council’s decision to proceed with the proposals for a waste incinerator at New Barnfield, because of its location in the town and our real concerns about the potential impact on residents and schoolchildren in the surrounding area.

“We will continue to present these views robustly.”

ENDS/PR/11/050

Notes to editors:

Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council has previously objected to the county council’s Waste Core Strategy and Site Allocations Planning Documents.

The county council’s waste development plan documents, to which Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council has objected, have still to be considered by a planning inspector at an independent inquiry.

The second bidder for the contract, E.ON Energy from Waste AG (EEW), would have sited the incinerator on land owned by Lafarge Aggregates, at Harper Lane near Radlett.

As the Waste Planning Authority, the county council will consider and decide on the planning application. If the application is refused, an appeal and public enquiry could follow.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Online epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 12:50:10 pm »
Should this thread not read Hatfield waste handling site?

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 05:04:03 pm »
Depends which way the wind is blowing! Seriously though the land is right next to Tesco's Distribution Centre and that is part of the Travellers Lane Industrial area, which many years ago was Mowlams. People were proud to call it Welham Green then as it was part of the 'biggest industrial village in the country' and everyone then referred to that area as 'Welham Green'. Now it's a waste incinerator, it's 'Hatfield'. It's akin to the comments re is it 'North Mymms' or is it 'Welham Green' we live, or do we call the area 'North Mymms' or 'Brookmans Park'. Whatever we call it, it is right on our doorstep, Calling it 'Hatfield' may just make people think it is 'nothing to do with us'. I'm sure there will be a lot of views from everyone, let's not get hung up on the name of the topic! I think Epiphany is actually right as now the area is generally referred to Hatfield, but Tesco call their depot 'Welham Green'.

Online epiphany

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 07:08:07 pm »
The postal address for New Barnfield is actually Hatfield but you are right Ferdie, wherever
it is, it is way too close to Hatfield, Welham Green, Brookmans Park and Colney Heath amongst
others.

I received this email from Grant Shapps the other day and would urge anybody concerned
about this to click on the link provided and sign the petition -

Hi

I just wanted to let you know that the Save New Barnfield campaign entered its latest phase on Thursday because utility company Veolia was given the green light by County Hall to push ahead with its application for a Waste Incinerator at New Barnfield.

I'm joining with the Borough Council in our unanimous opposition to any eventual Planning Application, not least because I believe that the traffic generated could become a nightmare for Hatfield residents who live nearby.

Even though today's decision means that there is now only one bidder involved and they have their eyes firmly fixed on New Barnfield, there is still a long way to go. Specifically the incinerator company, who are also the local water utility Veolia, will need to win a Planning Application and I know that many locals will be keen to see this fought all the way.

The proposed New Barnfield location is smack bang next to a school for children with special needs. There are residents who already suffer noise and vibration from a distribution plant that operates nearby. The idea that they could in future be witness to 340,000 tons of waste coming past their doors - a dumper truck every two minutes - is I think quite wrong.

Experience in other parts of the country demonstrates that where Planning Applications are instigated for Waste Management plants in residential areas, there’s always a fighting chance of defeating these plans. So regardless of where you live in Welwyn Hatfield I'd be very grateful if you would add your name to our renewed petition to Save New Barnfield at http://www.savenewbarnfield.com/ and please forward this email to other Welwyn Hatfield residents too.

Best wishes,
Grant.
---

The Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP
Welwyn Hatfield

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 08:02:36 pm »

Changed, thanks for the prompt.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 10:15:00 pm »
I received this email from Grant Shapps the other day and would urge anybody concerned
about this to click on the link provided and sign the petition -

Whilst I fully agree that the incinerator would be a bad idea for our local community, I will take this opportunity to remind people that signing up for a petition run by Grant will allow him to start sending you emails/letters/phone calls etc about whatever you please - check the very small print down the bottom of the page which includes

' By providing your contact details you agree to being contacted from time to time by Grant Shapps MP regarding local issues.'

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 10:35:51 am »
Depends which way the wind is blowing! Seriously though the land is right next to Tesco's Distribution Centre

Tesco's seem to be remarkably quiet yet their depot is downwind of the site.  With all their planning muscle and experience you might have expected Tesco to have said something.  Presumably they reckon any fumes from the chimney etc will be too high to affect their depot.  Another thought is about the extra traffic this incinerator will generate.  How will it affect the stream of lorries servicing their depot?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2011, 11:11:19 am »
I have heard that Tesco are considering closing the Welham Green site as it is now too small and cannot be easily extended.

So perhaps they are not bothered anyway.

Online epiphany

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 11:30:48 am »
I have heard that Tesco are considering closing the Welham Green site as it is now too small and cannot be easily extended

Maybe they could extend into the area earmarked for the incinerator?

Offline Adrienne

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 05:17:10 pm »
Veolia – Who have been selected by the County Council to build a 370,000 tonne incinerator in South Hatfield; are having a consultation on  Wed 8th & Thurs 9th June 2-8pm at Resources Library, New Barnfield Hatfield –AL10 8XG. 'This may be the only opportunity the public could have to meet with Veolia and make their objections face to face to them'
With 100m/328ft high chimney, the “Unseen” emissions will affect a 10-15 mile radius.

There will also be a “Public Demonstration” at the New Barnfield, Resources library at 7pm on Thursday 9th June

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2011, 10:48:09 am »
To find the exhibition, go north along the A1000 past GT Towing showroom and carry straight on at the fork i.e. over the flyover.  At the roundabout turn left into the Travellers Lane industrial estate where Mitsubishi and Tesco are.  Then take the first right after the school.  The Resource Centre is on your right.   

The exhibition is open 2pm to 8pm on Wed 8th and Thursday 9th June.   Anyone who is unable to get to the exhibition can have a look at www.veolia.co.uk/hertfordshire
Veolia also have a dedicated Freephone information line on 0800 055 6515

The building is the central reserve for Herts Libraries.  If you hold a Library Card you can borrow books on a fantastic range of topics.  Have a look round while you are there.  I found the staff to be very helpful.

Offline Adrienne

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2011, 01:22:17 pm »
Interesting on what Veolia - the proposed incinerator company - has to say in respect of the effects the plant has - extracts taken from their 2010 Manifest attached!!

Adrienne Nix

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2011, 09:13:28 am »
The building is the central reserve for Herts Libraries.  If you hold a Library Card you can borrow books on a fantastic range of topics.  Have a look round while you are there.  I found the staff to be very helpful.

Unfortunately, not for much longer.

As part of the site clearance the library is going. The reference section and business services to WGC, and the reserve collection into a warehouse some where.

Originally, HCC planned to move it to a purpose-built facility in WGC (with WHBC's blessing).

Odd decision, given that WGC already has two libraries and Hatfield is the home of the Uni and BusinessLink.

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2011, 10:11:55 am »
Given that a waste incinerator is bound to raise a big stink (feel free to visit the Edmonton incinerator if you think I'm joking or exaggerating), I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussions on the subject in this forum. Particularly as the worse impact on property prices will be on those within a 0.4 - 1.6 km radius of the incinerator [according to a Virginia Water's study for the Newhaven incinerator - http://www.virginiawater.co.uk/protect/images/economic_impact.pdf  (Page 30)].

Also I wouldn't necessarily count on it being blocked at the planning stage - Hertfordshire County Council is bending over backwards to see that doesn't happen. Staggeringly even to the extent of forking out around £4m to temporarily move Southfield School - a recently built special needs facility, which they openly acknowledge is  a waste of taxpayers' money.

Hertfordshire County Council's Education and Skills Cabinet meeting minutes (14:00 hours, 16 May 2011)
http://www.hertsdirect.org/your-council/civic_calendar/cabinet/15931002/

Agenda Item 6 - Implication for Southfields Special Needs School

3.1 The recommendation being made to the Panel is that it recommend to Cabinet:-

“1.    That Cabinet:-

(i)   agrees that Veolia ES Aurora Limited be advised carefully to take into account the presence of Southfield School in finalising its Scheme and to seek to mitigate any impacts on the school so that temporary relocation is not necessary; however

(ii)    authorises a 6 week public consultation on a proposal to provide temporary school premises on a site at Old Rectory Drive, Hatfield; and

(iii)   authorises the making of an application for temporary planning permission for the construction and use of a temporary school at the Land at Old Rectory Drive, Hatfield.

2.   That a further report be brought to Cabinet in due course.”

6.1  The current estimate of costs is a top limit of £3.9m, with a residual value of £1.0m after the proposed three year occupation.  This represents poor value for money for a temporary relocation of a school. It is only being considered in the context of the bigger financial risk of preventing the granting of planning permission for the waste facility.* The preferred option would be for the temporary relocation to not be required as a result of careful consideration by Veolia of design and construction plans.

Agenda Item 7 - Policy towards the relocation of Central Library Services [Central Resource Library]

2.1   The New Barnfield site in Hatfield has been proposed as the reference site for the County Council’s Waste Procurement Project.  On 28 October 2008, Cabinet authorised commencement of a project to relocate the Central Library Services away from the New Barnfield Centre... 

2.2   By the spring of 2010 the relocation planning work had achieved the acquisition of a site at Broadwater Road, Welwyn Garden City, to enable the provision of a new purpose built facility for the Central Library Services (CLS).

2.11   The various options have been considered and it has been concluded that the most efficient and cost effective solution would be to:

(i)   merge Central Resources Library with the existing Welwyn Garden City branch library at Campus West in order to provide a central and public presence for the service;

(ii)   lease or purchase an existing storage/distribution building from a third party in the open market, rather than build from new at Broadwater Road.

[*bold text my emphasis]

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 06:56:13 am »
A number of replies to this thread began to focus on local library services. In an effort to keep this thread focused on the incinerator I have split the topic, started a new thread about local library services and merged the contributions.

Offline Local Walker

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 08:43:16 am »
what will happen to the school there?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 10:55:36 am »

Also I wouldn't necessarily count on it being blocked at the planning stage - Hertfordshire County Council is bending over backwards to see that doesn't happen.

So, is the general feeling that this is a done deal and nothing can stop it?

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2011, 11:51:06 am »
So, is the general feeling that this is a done deal and nothing can stop it?

1)     I definitely get the impression that this is a 'done deal', but why it seems to have been so actively courted by Welhat and Herts County is a mystery  >:(

2)    Whether anything can be done to stop it, is what many of us want to know! Our local MP Grant Shapps has been leading a campaign against the incinerator, but how well that is working, I'm not sure?

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2011, 02:44:57 pm »
1)     I definitely get the impression that this is a 'done deal', but why it seems to have been so actively courted by Welhat and Herts County is a mystery

Not really, HCC see the site as perfect to take other counties' waste (mainly London's), and charge them for the privilege. While WHBC has been favouring WGC interests over Hatfield's for decades (although they may find this one comes back to haunt them).

Between them I get the impression that they are using Hatfield as a sinkhole and dumping ground to be exploited to destruction.

They get money from central government for students (to make up for an expected shortfall in Council Tax) and for housing refugees. Plus, funds from other councils to house their excess / unwanted, which they then lavish on WGC projects. Thanks to student blight and the deteriorating town centre, families have been moving out of Hatfield (even without an apparent deliberate population shift engineered by WHBC) in droves, which can only make things easier for them. It also means opposition to the incinerator from within Hatfield is likely to be muted.

The figures seem to support this view:

Between 2003-09 WHBC Capital Commitments (basically large spending projects mentioned in their accounts) show over £7.1m spent on improvements in WGC with a paltry £0.28m spent on Hatfield. Add over £1 million given in various forms to Gosling Sports Park and that becomes over £8.1m vs. £0.28m.

According to WHBC figures, between 1 April 2006 to 31 March 2011 alone there were 93 transfers of Hatfield council tenant households to Welwyn Garden City accommodation. The reason for this relocation is not clear although WHBC did refuse to provide figures on the number of refugees housed in Hatfield and in WGC.

According to WHBC figures, as of 9 May 2011, there are 248 licensed Houses in Multiple Occupancy (HMOs) in WHBC. These are mainly used by students and migrant workers ie. short term residents with no interest in the area. Of this total 246 are in Hatfield. However, this is not a reflection of the true figures as only 3 storey properties and those declaring 5 or more tennants require licensing, and there's no accounting for illegal sub-lets or where a house is officially let by three individuals who then partner up or have friends staying overnight on a regular basis.

2)    Whether anything can be done to stop it, is what many of us want to know! Our local MP Grant Shapps has been leading a campaign against the incinerator, but how well that is working, I'm not sure?

We have a Con-Dem govt. A Conservative MP (and frontbencher). A Conservative-controlled County Council. A Conservative-controlled Borough Council (which is supposed to have been involved in submitting the nominations for waste sites for HCC's Waste Strategy - 3 out of the 4 WHBC sites were in Hatfield). And a Conservative-controlled Hatfield Town Council (which barely mentions the incinerator).

There's a lot of words spoken against in public but the HCC incinerator vote was held in secret.

Personally, I can't see why our MP (a prominent member of the party) cannot fail to stop this rubbish idea - if he really wanted to.

I fear the only way to stop this from proceeding is a series of legal challenges. However, the opposition has money to burn - in order to get their hands on millions in taxpayers' funds (it's a 25-year contract, and I wonder if it includes who pays for cleaning up the site afterwards?).

Online epiphany

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2011, 05:31:50 pm »
what will happen to the school there?

Please refer to earlier reply #39

Offline Adrienne

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2011, 10:05:01 pm »
"People power" is the only way of stopping the incinerator being built.  If enough people turn up at the exhibition & demonstration on Thursday 9th, also at the consultation stage and put in objections at  planning application stage, I believe we can do it (Remember the poll tax!! that was overturned – even after it became law!!!)  So everyone pass the word around and make your objections know by turning up this Thursday at 7pm.  After all we have nothing to lose and everything to gain at this stage.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2011, 07:51:21 am »
I have concerns regarding this proposal, but would like to know what alternatives our Council has considered and what 'people power' can suggest as an alternative. If this non recyclable waste (and there will always be some, irrespective of recycling rates) cannot be incinerated, what do we do with it? Also, crucially, where should this 'storage' be? It is fine that people protest (long may democracy survive) and I will certainly be visiting the Exhibition, but 'just saying "no"' is not a complete answer.

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2011, 09:10:03 am »
The problem is a failure by successive UK governments (Labour and Conservative) to tackle the huge amount of resources devoted to unnecessary and non-recyclable packaging.

Advanced western democracies, like Germany, put measures in place over a decade ago (like enabling shoppers to leave the exterior packaging at the supermarket for them to dispose, which made them put pressure on suppliers).

An EU threat to impose fines resulted in a stampede by councils across the UK to cut back on landfill as a method of disposal, and many have looked at incineration as a local solution to what is a national problem.

While it is true to say that we're unlikely to be 100% efficient (very few things are), we certainly should be able to achieve a figure in the high 90s. This would leave a very small amount to be disposed through landfill or existing incinerators.

How do we achieve this? Through reuse, reduction and recycling.

The bulk of UK households are supplied by a handful of national and international supermarket chains and global conglomerates, like Unilver and P&G. Targetting these companies alone can lead to massive reductions. For example, does meat really need to be packed in plastic trays? Do cucumbers really need to be individually wrapped in polythene?

Through punitive taxation and tax incentives the government can bring about changes - if they wanted to. And if they didn't councils could act in union to make them - rather than reduce the value of people's homes, threaten their health, and generally blight their lives and neighbourhoods.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2011, 11:23:26 am »
[I definitely get the impression that this is a 'done deal', but why it seems to have been so actively courted by Welhat and Herts County is a mystery  >:(

Welwyn Hatfield Council is against this incinerator.  If you search www.welhat.gov.uk for references to 'incinerator' you will find this

' The borough council will be a consultee in this process, and will continue to vigorously feedback the views of the local community to the county council.

"We are extremely disappointed," said the Chief Executive. "We disagree with the county council's decision to proceed with the proposals for a waste incinerator at New Barnfield, because of its location in the town and our real concerns about the potential impact on residents and schoolchildren in the surrounding area.

"We will continue to present these views robustly."

Offline Adrienne

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2011, 05:18:57 pm »
HAI - Hatfield against Incineration - have put together an alternative solution. http://www.hatfield-anti-incineration.co.uk/the_alternative.html   In respect of higher charges on landfill, this applies to brown bin waste such as food and garden waste which is already been recycled for some time.
 San Francisco are aiming for "Zero Waste" by 2020 http://www.sfenvironment.org/our_programs/overview.html?ssi=3
Dr Paul Connett, Professor of Chemistry, St Lawrence University, New York, gave a presentation recently in Hatfield on the matter of Zero Waste - the presentation will be on our website shortly
At the moment the US needs 4.5 planets to sustain its present use of resource and the UK needs 2 planets.  The reality is that we have to change our attitude to waste but incineration is certainly not the answer both for ourselves and our grandchildren.  Herts County Council just could not be bothered looking at the alternatives as it means making people take responsibility and of course might loose votes!! They want a quick fix which in the long term is environmentally damaging, will destroy the local community and and our virgin resources.

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2011, 08:06:35 pm »
Veolia's exhibition is on today and tomorrow at the New Barnfield site (but not in the library - go straight on from the entrance, and it'll be on your right).

Articles in this thread on the Welwyn Hatfield Forum may help people understand the issues (particularly, Reply #1, Reply #2):
http://www.shapps.com/forum/index.php/topic,5982.0.html

And recognise spin when they see it. For example, their artist's impression show a nice, gleaming bowl-like structure - funnily enough even though it's set against a autumn / winter background there's no plume visible from the stack (even if it is just water vapour as claimed). In reality, against a dark sky or in cold conditions the plume is clearly visible from a great distance - as pictures of the Edmonton incinerator show: http://www.hatfield-herts.co.uk/hottop/n18incinpix.html

They also say any smell will be contained within the dome - which I doubt (HCC better get guarantees BEFORE signing any contracts).

They also have a leaflet from the Environment Agency, however Dr van Steenis is less than complimentary about them and states they DON'T monitor the most dangerous emissions. The official record seems to back him up - http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmselect/cmenvfru/780/780we14.htm

In any case, how reliable are regulators' assurances? As the people of Japan are finding out to their cost - and possibly ours as well, as events are still unfolding.

Fukushima Nuclear Accident Update Log
http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/tsunamiupdate01.html

8 June 2011 - Fukushima 'lessons' may take 10 years to learn
"Earlier this week, Japan's nuclear regulator issued a report admitting that the country had been ill-prepared for an accident as serious as the one at Fukushima Daiichi.
It also doubled estimates of the amount of radiation released following the 11 March tsunami."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13699055

And we've already been lied to once already:

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/hatfield_incinerator_it_could_be_bigger_than_first_feared_1_34445
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:22:23 pm by trekbat »

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2011, 10:54:07 am »
Main anti-incineration demonstration today at 19:00 (7pm) outside the Veolia exhibition at the Training Centre, New Barnfield (go straight ahead from the site entrance and it will be on your right).

Information on this and other activities can be found on Hatfield Against Incineration websites:

http://www.hatfield-anti-incineration.co.uk/

http://blog.hatfield-anti-incineration.co.uk/

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2011, 01:37:48 pm »
If anyone is on Twitter and wants to draw attention to the demonstration they may want to retweet some of the comments being made.  I have just set up a Storify site for the Brookmans Park Newsletter where this was posted and now embedded here. Just click on the retweet button alongside the tweet below - or any of the news assets you want to share. You can also click on the embed button below to embed the story in your own blog or forum.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:04:08 pm by David Brewer »

Tags: