Author Topic: Fracking under local homes - are we safe?  (Read 14240 times)

Offline Ex Libris

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Research
  • Boules (pétanque)
  • Teaching
Re: Fracking under local homes - are we safe?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 12:16:53 pm »
I would expect fracking in the UK would have all sorts of safety rules and regulations which may not be the case in other parts of the world.

You may like to read this report by Friends of the Earth - https://www.foe.co.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/all-glitters-critique-fracking-regulation-46660.pdf

The Executive Summary states, “Ministers and the fracking industry have made assurances that fracking in the UK will be safe because we have ‘gold standard’ regulation – avoiding the dangers of fracking experienced in other countries.

This report exposes that far from being ‘gold standard’, much of UK fracking regulation is inadequate, flawed or ineffectively applied and enforced. Some potential impacts are simply not considered at all.  This exposes the country to unacceptable risks to the local environment and health and from rising carbon emissions.”

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2014, 12:36:48 pm »
I don't know much about fracking, other than what I have read online and in print. I did watch a few documentaries with some fairly scary experiences in the USA, but they were focusing on the negatives rather than any possible benefits. As for assurances from the industry or the politicians who've given the industry the green light, I wouldn't trust any of them at all. I am not sure environmental concerns will ever come before profit.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2014, 01:38:19 pm »
Dave - I agree environmental concerns may not always be the priority.

The point I'm trying to make is that we need gas and other energy sources to maintain ourselves a a leading inductrialised nation - in an ideal world all energy would be free or at least clean / carbon neutral. But that's not the world we live in and we have to continually explore ways of finding new energy sources, especially as wind seems to be less promising than it once was, and nuclear following Fukushima is never going to be popular.

Offline Nimbus

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2014, 10:28:10 pm »
Dave - I agree environmental concerns may not always be the priority.

If we let TTIP come to pass, then environmental concerns will never be the priority.
And should we try to make them so, the provisions of TTIP are to permit nation states to be sued by trans-national corporations for loss of profits.
See:

<a href="http://rosalux.gr/sites/default/files/publications/ttip_web.pdf" target="_blank">http://rosalux.gr/sites/default/files/publications/ttip_web.pdf</a>
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:41:48 am by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2014, 07:45:21 am »
Hi Nimbus,

I embedded the pdf link you added to your post so that the document is visible. FYI, anyone can do this if they have a pdf web link. Just copy the link (as you did), highlight it and then click on the pdf icon above the message composition box.  The pdf code
Code: [Select]
[pdf][/pdf] will then be added before and after the link.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Nimbus

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2014, 06:16:50 pm »
Hi Nimbus,

I embedded the pdf link you added to your post so that the document is visible.
Thanks, happy to be guided by the Mod's hand.
I considered embedding it, but thought the subject matter might be a bit too contentious for some.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2014, 07:12:46 pm »
I considered embedding it, but thought the subject matter might be a bit too contentious for some.

I am sure it will, but it's important and needs raising.

David

Offline trekbat

• Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 05:05:27 pm »
Britain changes rules to fast-track shale gas permits
"The British government will give its communities minister the power to directly approve shale gas permits, taking away decision-making from local politicians who have in the past months blocked the progress of Britain's first shale gas wells"
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/08/12/uk-britain-shale-legislation-idUKKCN0QH2QS20150812

This as the evidence that fracking increases the risk of seismic activity continues to grow (and so much for the much touted Localism Bill):

"Within the central and eastern United States, the number of earthquakes has increased dramatically over the past few years. Between the years 1973–2008, there was an average of 21 earthquakes of magnitude three and larger in the central and eastern United States. This rate jumped to an average of 99 M3+ earthquakes per year in 2009–2013, and the rate continues to rise. In 2014, alone, there were 659 M3 and larger earthquakes."
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/

Earthquake spike pushes Oklahoma to consider tighter fracking regulations
"In April, after years of officially denying that injecting wastewater produced by fracking deep into rock beds could be the cause of the state’s increased earthquakes, Oklahoma officials finally admitted a link. But now the quakes appear to have increased in frequency, and some tremors have struck dangerously close to the more densely populated Oklahoma City area, where there are no nearby wastewater injection sites."
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/25/oklahoma-fracking-regulations-earthquakes

Tags: