Author Topic: Blood Donation  (Read 8204 times)

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Blood Donation
« on: March 09, 2002, 01:37:54 pm »
This will be a short topic.
Get up of your ***** and go and donate!
It does you good, stimulates your system!
It makes you feel good inside and is worth more than any financial donation.
Treat your self to a good feed after as a reward!
If you can't make today, check the site for other local doner sessions.
The only excuse for not donating is pure lazyness.  (physical problems excepted!)
Your blood bank need you!!!
jet

Offline Ellie

• Opinions on some things
  • Give me peace
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Zumba
  • Reading
Re: Blood Donation
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2002, 02:00:51 pm »
I agree with Jet.  I was down there at 9.30 and in and out in half an hour and feel great. They tell me they will be here on a Saturday twice a year now which means that most people don't have any excuse. Get yourselves down there for the last session today from 2-4.  Free drinks (tea and coffee) biscuits and crisps and a chance to meet half the village for a chat.  Recommended.  Social highlight of the week.  :D

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2002, 09:01:53 pm »
It appeared to be a good session, and is much better now it is Saturday rather than a working day.
Good excuse for a trunkfull of tea and a satisfying nap later.
Well done all.
Work out how much it costs per bag of blood, you will be supprised, say 8 on site, the lorry, back at base etc.
It must be in excess of £30, but think of what it does and we have all got it to give away.
regards.
jet
P.S. what a nice atmosphere down there, nice to see people bring their kids.

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2002, 07:51:12 pm »
Sorry I missed this one? WHere where they taking the blood. I normally go to Potters Bar (the Elms), but I am never sure when they will be there. i've had to have a break since having my last child, but I'm ready and willing again......so if someone can tell me the venue was, i will look out for it when they are next in town.

Offline Ellie

• Give me peace
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Zumba
  • Reading
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2002, 08:19:02 pm »
It was at the URC on Bluebridge Road and they said they would be back in six months.  There seems to be a link on the left hand side of the front page of the site (under the Information group of links) which when you click and fill in tells you the next sessions.  See you there next time.  :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2002, 08:26:01 pm by wood »

CPB

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2002, 12:20:23 am »
You can get information about blood donor sessions from the National Blood Service web site:

http://www.blood.co.uk/welcome.htm

As the Blood bank manager at the Royal London hospital I pleased to see the support people from Brookman's Park are giving the National Blood Service.  I can tell you every donation is needed.

Colin Barber
« Last Edit: March 15, 2002, 07:05:29 am by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2002, 07:09:58 am »
There is also a permanent link off the front page of this site half way down on the left hand side, under the Infromation group of links, called Blood Donor Sessions which takes you to the search page for local sessions and saves you having to remember or bookmark a link for future reference. By the way the link says the next session is again at the URC on Saturday, September 21, 2002 from 09:30 to 12:30 and from 14:00 to 16:00
« Last Edit: March 15, 2002, 07:12:18 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2002, 02:30:19 pm »
I think this is really good.

I used to donate regualerly when at Uni (the union bar was next door, so we could pop in for a few light ales afterwards!), but since I work up in London, it's been a real problem - I've gone to Kensington before, but I always ended up waiting for about 2 hours and then having to leave since I needed to get back to work.

Aidan

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2002, 01:23:32 am »
A diary reminder that there is another blood donor session this month on Saturday 21st at the URC from 09:30 to 12:30 and from 14:00 to 16:00,
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Astra

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2002, 12:09:30 am »
Please Please Please make sure that you put this date in your diaries.  It is vitally important that all of us who are able give blood.  The words Blood Bank are no more.  There is no bank of blood.  They are running on a day to day basis and some operations are cancelled because of the lack of donor blood.  I always try to treat others as I would like to be treated.  I give blood because one day (god forbid) I may urgently need a donation myself and perhaps someone like me who has taken the time to give blood will save my life.  Please give.  It is important.

Astra

John_fraser

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2002, 12:05:17 pm »
Just to back that up.

Please go, you may save a life, you may save more than one life. One day you may need it.

If you've never gone before please try it. Its doesn’t hurt. It’s actually quite nice. You get to lye down for twenty minutes and chat with the “nurse,” then you get a cup of tea and chance to chat with other people from BP. Above all you get to feel good about yourself because you done something to help others.

As Astra says, there is no blood bank anymore and when hospitals run out of blood people die.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2002, 12:58:51 pm »
Nice to see 70 odd people managed it, trust the other 1000 able bodied healthy inhabitants will make it next time.
Phew it certainly makes it hard work on the legs walking up the hill from Imp land to the more elevated part of the Vill.  :P
regards,
jet

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2002, 01:22:54 am »
Think about those 1000 apparently "able bodied".  Life is not always what you see.

M

Anyone who can should, anyone who cannot should not be vilified.

John_fraser

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2002, 02:47:45 am »
If could have given blood but didn't ask yourself this question:

"If ever I needed the blood or if somone I love need blood, would I expect a hospital to provide it?"

If the answer is "Yes" - and it will be - how do you expect it to get there if people who can donate don't?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2002, 02:48:55 am by John_fraser »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2003, 08:57:37 am »
A reminder that there is another blood donation session at the URC on Saturday, January 25.  The times are 09.30-12.30 and 14.00-16.00.

Offline Ellie

• Give me peace
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Zumba
  • Reading
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2003, 08:51:18 pm »
Looking forward to seeing lots of you at the blood donations session on Saturday at the URC. The times are 09:30 to 12:30 and from 14:00 to 16:00.
:)

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2003, 03:55:11 pm »
I gave my armful (much to my son's distress - he was quite horrified by the idea - but he is only 5!)

Do we get any feed back on how much is collected in Brookmans Park? Does anyone know?
ex resident - now living in New Zealand

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2003, 04:56:21 pm »
Dear Carolyn,
I was there at the end about 3-40 and there was about 70 that day, which is average.
If you work it out the blood costs about £30+ a bag!
regards,
jet

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2003, 09:09:02 pm »
I was there at about 11.30 and it was pretty quiet....although got talking to some nice people over tea afterwards:)

Whilst I was there though, I was disgusted to hear that one of the nurses got abuse, almost physical as one of the plastic folders was thrown at her......What is wrong with people and what image must if leave them of our quiet little village!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2003, 08:24:45 pm »
The National Blood Service has cancelled its next scheduled visit to Brookmans Park URC. Click here for more details

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2003, 04:40:04 pm »
I am very disappointed that Brookmans Park will no longer be a donor site.  I wonder if this is due to the physical abuse suffered by one of the nurses on the last visit.  One potential donor got fed up with waiting and threw a folder at the nurse.  The whole episode was blown way out of proportion but we may have been earmarked as a dangerous crowd.

I'm not loooking forward to having to go to a porta-cabin in Sainsbury's car park to donate. I'll wait to hear where else they suggest we go.
ex resident - now living in New Zealand

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2003, 04:09:52 pm »
A regular user of the Brookmans Park Newsletter e-mailed the following information and is happy for it to be included in this thread.

E-mail follows ...

The last donor session in Brookmans Park, on 25 January, was the first where a new queuing system was in force. If you had with you a letter from the Blood Service asking you to come to the session, you were immediately given a card with a number on it, placing you in order in a "number queue". If you did not have the letter with you, you were given a card with a letter (A to Z) on it. After being processed through the A-Z queue, you were then given a "number" queue card.  Previously, there was only one queue and donors were taken in to actually give blood in the order that they arrived. Now, those in the A-Z queue could be delayed so that people arriving after them could be giving blood some time before them.  This was not explained at the Brookmans Park session.

Story one. I arrived to give blood and was given a card for the “number" queue. Following me were a couple: the man had his letter from the Blood Service, so went in the number queue; the woman did not, so she went in the A-Z queue. Before the woman got her number queue card, several more donors were in the number queue. The couple seemed quite distressed that the man would have to wait for a long time for the woman and they wanted to get to another appointment.

Story two. Two friends go to give blood a few weeks ago at Hatfield. One has a letter from the Blood Service asking her to attend; the other has not donated in this district before. In this case, the one with the letter finished 30 minutes after the one without. I don't know how the queuing system was arranged there.

Queue jumping causes resentment. Lack of explanation of a new queuing system exacerbates this.

... e-mail ends.

This thread has been forwarded to the press office of the National Blood Service in the hope of getting some response.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2003, 04:16:37 pm by admin »

Tags: