Author Topic: Traffic Wardens  (Read 4747 times)

Offline peppermint

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Traffic Wardens
« on: December 13, 2007, 07:00:18 pm »
The council have a new traffic warden on a moped.   He has been on the Green twice this week.   He arrived today at 2pm, took a couple of registration numbers and then returned an hour later to give a lady getting her hair done in the hairdressers a parking ticket. 

I thought the council were trying to help the traders in the area.

Offline Mark_Eric

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Re: Traffic Wardens
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:03:25 pm »
Stopping people parking for over an hour is helping the traders. 99% of shoppers in the village are only stopping for ten minutes. If you are going to be longer than an hour, then park further away and walk.

Offline Abbot

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 10:43:40 pm »
Or park on the yellow lines out side the dry cleaners/vets for ten minutes and bugger up the traffic going to and away from the school.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 07:53:01 am »
The council have a new traffic warden on a moped.   He has been on the Green twice this week.   He arrived today at 2pm, took a couple of registration numbers and then returned an hour later to give a lady getting her hair done in the hairdressers a parking ticket. 

I thought the council were trying to help the traders in the area.

I am not sure I understand the point being made here.

Is it that

• traffic wardens and parking limits are not welcome
  • the parking time allowed needs to be extended
  • we need special dispensation for people getting their hair done

If it is the latter, and everyone signs up to it, perhaps we could get the salons to issue a ticket that people can stick in the window of their vehicles that says something like...

"Getting my hair done. It takes two hours. I started at 1100 and will move my vehicle at 1300."

That way the traffic warden can check with the salon and give those having their hair done a bit more time than the person buying a paper, a pint of milk, a bit of fish or a piece of meat.  All other business in the village should be manageable in an hour.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 10:54:04 am »
I would have thought the obvious solution would be to make parking restricted to, say, 3 hours.

That will stop commuters parking all day, and also shopkeepers.

So if you're having your hair done for 2 hours, or popping into Mayur's for a paper, either way you won't have a problem getting a parking ticket. Hopefully this will encourage people to come into the village and provide trade for the shopkeepers, whilst discouraging the people we don't want parking in the village eg workers and commuters.

The traffic warden could do a quick check at 10:00 or so, then return some time during the afternoon to catch any long stay parkers.

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 11:31:02 am »
What Mark_Eric said.

When are they going to do something about the plonkers who park on pavements and verges?

Arm the traffic wardens.

John_fraser

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 11:51:18 am »
An even more radical idea would be to look at the parking restrictions when you park (they are posted very clearly), understand that you are breaking the rules and accept the punishment if you are caught. If you don't want to take the risk, then park legally and accept that it may mean you have to walk for anything up to two minutes to get to the shops.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 12:57:14 pm »
John - you are of course right, however the point here is we want to make parking easier for people wanting to spend money in the village.

It's not really about parking fines (although people should be penalised for bad parking).

Offline speedwell

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 07:51:29 pm »
surely, the whole point is to make the village more accessible to the majority and that was why a shorter parking resriction was introduced.  If it were to be  increased to say 3 hours,  then should you need to pop to any of the local shops then you wouldn't be able to park again!  Although this might help those in the hairdressers I'm not sure how this would help the other independant shops - this would then disadvantage the butchers etc whom I'm sure will agree have never needed to keep any of their customers for 3 hours! 

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 08:18:52 pm »
this would then disadvantage the butchers etc whom I'm sure will agree have never needed to keep any of their customers for 3 hours!

If you were just going to the butchers then of course you wouldn't need to park for 3 hours. Just because you can park for that time wouldn't mean you would.

The point I make about 3 hours is that it allows people to do their business in BP whether for a hairdo or to buy a joint of beef, but ensures commuters and shop workers don't park all day. Some people need to park for 5 minutes, others for an hour or so.

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 09:48:30 am »
With regards to the traffic warden on the moped who comes, goes and then returns to ticket. How does he not know the car has moved and returned to the same parking space?

The only reason I ask is a similar scenario occured with my sisters car last year in one of the suprmarket car parks in Potters Bar. One member of the family drove the car to do the shopping, another family member on the same day took the same car and parked in a different parking space in the same car park whilst at the dentist. On returning to the car there was a ticket saying they had exceeded the maximum duration of the car park etc. After appealing the ticket was revoked.

In my opinion an hour is long enough to park in the village. If we all know the designated parking durations and if we know we may require longer then what is the issue with arranging alternative transportation e.g. taxi, walk, a lift from a friend or family member etc.

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 12:36:38 pm »
Having been up the road in the village I noticed the signs say no return within 1 hour so that answers my quesiton.

Offline Carrie

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 12:53:41 pm »
My partner received a parking ticket on Saturday - at 10.00am - having had to park on outside Hollywood in the early hours on Saturday morning after he finished work at 2.00am.  The parking behind our flats was full as usual.   I have previously received 3 in the village as previously stated on the website - due to residents parking being extremely limited, or non-existent, for flat owners/tenants on the green.

Tags: