Author Topic: Elvis Presley spotted in Brookmans Park  (Read 5208 times)

Offline Reginald

• Opinions on some things
  • Gunners fan
Elvis Presley spotted in Brookmans Park
« on: May 16, 2003, 12:29:49 pm »
 8) :) Anyone venturing into  the village last night may have noticed the "King" making a rare UK appearance!!!  No he was not "a guy down the chip shop calling himself Elvis", but the man himself appearing at the Methi Indian Restaurant.

For those fortunate enough to experience this moment, a great time was had by all, with renditions of all his best loved rock & roll and ballads being belted out with splendid audience participation, and some duos with local stars such as Karen, Steve, Gill, Russel and many others, not forgetting out own "Shakin Specsavers" - Rob the Optician.... and all accompanied by a splendid Methi Buffet and copious beverages.

Rumour has it that the King may return, or perhaps even Buddy Holly may make an appearance - keep your eyes open for these events - not to be missed!!

ps - anyone with a camera there, please post some piccies - ta

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Re: Elvis Presley spotted in Brookmans Park
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 01:17:00 pm »
.. and for those of us that live in the row of houses above Methi it meant loud music and heavy beats stopping us getting to sleep. Wouldn't have minded so much if the restaurant had had the courtesy to warn us first.

Not a happy bunny this morning  >:(
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 09:06:03 pm »
Another example (if one were needed) of people having fun with no consideration whatsoever for the peace of others.
I wonder did they have a music and dance licence for the bash?
Bad enough that the village stinks of curry and fish/chips.
This together with the verbal noise nuisance of the village idiots ensconced on the green coupled with the boy racers of al ages conspires to bring the village down to a level.
GRRRRRRR
regards,
jet

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 11:45:37 pm »
Things seem to be improving in BP.  Time to buy my ticket home and buy a flat on the Green.  

The King, Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran brilliant - 3S2H.

Mary

P.S.  We had The King, Roy Orbison and Eddie Cochran in Abu Dhabi a couple of months ago.  Unfortunately Buddy Holly was a wimp and scared of flying to the Middle East...  de ja vu?

Offline Swan

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 12:14:31 pm »
Another example (if one were needed) of people having fun with no consideration whatsoever for the peace of others.

Yes, I agree with Jet, it is definately time that music, dancing, alcohol, spicy foods, or enjoyment of any type were banned village wide.
Of course, in order to ensure that none of these things were imported into the village we may have to throw up some checkpoints (make sure to have your papers handy at all times) but this is a small price to pay for the continued sanctity of blah blah blah.....  ::)
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 12:40:40 pm »
Laws were made to protect people from nuisance occurances.
Music & dance licences were conceived to ensure that premises carrying out such practices were suitable and contained the noise.
As for odours, again standards were conceived to ensure the dissapation of fumes from commercial food preparation.
I assure you that if the nuisances above were occuring in for instance Westminster then a visit from the EHO would follow and if ignored the bussiness's would be served with a notice.
All these laws are still in place but largely ignored by the council nowadays.
So far from being a killjoy I am only drawing attention to the fact that there are statuatory regulations to prevent occurances which annoy others.
As with the inconsiderate driving around the village, if the police got their finger out a few examples would cure the problem within days.
The village stinks of food and when the yobs demonstrate their inarticulate nature it sounds like a squaddies barracks.
regards,
jet

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 01:54:10 pm »
Probably needs to be a bit of give and take on both sides.

If I choose to live in a flat above a row of shops in a village centre, I think it would be stupid of me to expect a quiet life. If the Methi event had happened on a Friday or Saturday night, I wouldn't have had a problem at all - besides which, the noise of the youths on the motorbikes who normally congregate in the village centre on Fri/Sat nights would have drowned the music out anyway :)

I feel that having an event like that mid week without warning local residents however was a bit antisocial.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 03:11:51 pm »
As is usual nowadays the victim being a decent person seeks to excuse the inconsiderate behaviour of others.
This is similar to the way do gooders tend to excuse the acts of burglars etc.
The sad fact is that with give and take it is the decent folk who give and the wrongdoer that takes.
With regard to nuisance caused by commercial activities the object of the excersise is to profit, usually at the expense of others.
Elvis got paid ( I imagine) and the environmental cost was borne by the people who were involved by their unfortunate location.
Recent modern building controls have been adopted to prevent such nuisance, If people acted reasonably then these laws would not need to exist.
regards,
jet

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2003, 01:18:00 am »
James - suggest you go and tell these guys they were out of order - I agree they should have warned you, then perhaps they might have the manners to warn you next time.

When I come back and buy my house on the Green, I will warn you every time.  ;)

Be warned now, not only do I like the old rockers - I have an exceedingly good boxed CD of The Dubliners Originals 1966-1969. ::) :o :o

Cheers
Mary

P.S.  Don't run to put your place on the market - highly unlikely I will ever come back for good ;D

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2003, 04:33:31 pm »
I tend to agree with Mary, I agree they should have mentioned to the nearby flats that Elvis was in the building, but they may not have realised that so much noise would be transported through the ceilings.  Perhaps if you tell them how loud it was I'm sure they'll let you know next time- the boss is a very nice guy called Shane, and it would be worth talking to him - you never know, next time you might get a free invite...

Aidan

Offline shads

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 12:20:10 pm »
I was at the Methi on Sat night and told them that they were at risk of upsetting the residents above with the noise and they were very apologetic.
They also informed me that Elvis may be coming back in the near future and i for one will be attending when he does.
I suggested that with just a bit of thought to let the residents above know there would not be much of a problem(especially if they threw in a free take away)

Tags: