Author Topic: Hawkshead Lane bridge  (Read 13199 times)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Hawkshead Lane bridge
« on: December 05, 2007, 10:38:07 am »
Having only just been repaired in November, the parapet of the bridge over the stream has been hit yet again.   This has been reported to Herts Highways.

Previous pictures and reports are on www.brookmans.com/news/july00/bridge1.shtml

As a reminder of the flooding before the flood defence works, have a look at www.brookmans.com/galleries/floods/index.shtml 

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 10:40:45 am by Bob Horrocks »

Offline GGDT

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Hawkshead Lane bridge
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 11:27:22 am »
Have noticed in the last few weeks that the bottom of Hawkshead Lane (before you get to the bridge) is flooding again on a regular basis.

I thought the re-surfacing done down there last year was intended to stop this happening?

Are there any plans to rectify the situation again?

Offline Jane B

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 12:40:34 pm »
Without knowing what hit it & not trying to apportion blame - I'm not really suprised. The size of the lorries that trundle up the lane sometimes are a little oversized to say the least! My garden has tyre marks to prove it!! The road surface on the bridge is also wearing away quickly - I think thats due to the recent flooding & debris though. I feel better now I know that it can take 40 tons though - looking forward to seeing a few artic lorries up our way now!! ;)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 03:23:01 pm »
Hi GGDT

I did report the recent flooding to the Highways people and the 'flooding' sign was put there.  My guess is that the drains were blocked by falling leaves and the silt washed down Hawkshead Lane by the heavy rain.  Hopefully they cleared the drains so it should not happen again for a while.

Mind you, none of this will stop Warrengate Road flooding on that side of the bridge, south of where they put the flood gates.  That was almost impassible  a week or so ago.

As for the bridge keep getting hit, I think a huge sign should be erected saying
' This bridge has been hit XX times in the last few years.  Please drive carefully' or words to that effect.  Whatever hit it, the vehicle must have been big to dislodge the new brickwork so high off the ground.

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 03:14:54 pm »
Hi GGDT

As for the bridge keep getting hit, I think a huge sign should be erected saying
' This bridge has been hit XX times in the last few years.  Please drive carefully' or words to that effect.  Whatever hit it, the vehicle must have been big to dislodge the new brickwork so high off the ground.
#

The bridge has been hit since the pictures you posted above and I noticed as I came over it last night that the new brickwork has been dislodged again already, I think it was repaired less than two weeks ago.  I blame sat.nav.  We are getting far more 40 ton trucks using the lane presumably because they have come off the the A1/M25 and are being directed the shortest route - not necessarily the most sensible and legal.

I vote for a width restriction before there is a nasty accident. :-\
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 03:54:11 pm »
I hadnt thought of sat nav possibly being the reason why so many large lorries are now using Hawkshead Road.   I passed a juggernaught pulling a double load last night  by the vet college .
It probably wouldnt have been able to get up there earlier in the day with all the college cars parked along the road.   

A width restriction sounds like a good idea, although you would think large vehicles would have already been put off of driving up Hawkshead by the narrow bridge.   

Perhaps Herts Highways could look into the options available.

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 09:12:23 pm »
A width restriction is a very sensible solution. Can anyone make it happen?

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 03:17:56 pm »
A width restriction is a very sensible solution. Can anyone make it happen?

Unfortunatley not, I suggested this to the Highways chaps and on the day their letter to me arrived the bridge was smashed into again.  They claim a width restriction would alter the functionality of the lane.  So what is the functionality? - to allow bliddy great lorries to destroy it and cause 10 minute long delays for the cars wanting to use it.

Would local support help do you think?  It really only affects and annoys us residents but if anyone else would like to support let me know.
 :icon_scratch:
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline Jane B

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 07:35:18 pm »
Mallow

I'd be more than happy to lend my support.

Jane

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 08:55:25 pm »
People have been moaning about Hawkshead Lane bridge for as long as I can remember - and that's a long time!

The most sensible thing to do would be to widen the road and build a modern day bridge to accomodate modern day traffic.  This would keep everybody happy.

The current bridge was designed to carry horse drawn carriages.  It's not so much the width restriction that is needed - but weight restriction.  The heavier the vehicle the wider the vehicle.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 09:13:53 pm »
I thought there was a weight restriction on the bridge already, no?

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 09:30:32 pm »
Yes - there is - and it need's to be lowered from 40 tonnes to 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass weight!

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 10:16:06 pm »
It is not just the width of the bridge that would need to be increased but the road beyond it which boarders peoples land. I think they may have a dim view on that.

The fact is that the road and bridge should either be built to accomodate larger vehicles or not. If lorries are to drive along it then widen it - if not then put in a width restriction. At the moment we have the worst of both.

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 10:39:14 pm »
I think we'll be going round in circles with this topic, like the dicussions did 40 years ago and beyond.

We'll just have to wait for the bridge to fall down! - and at this rate, it won't take long with the lorries today getting bigger and heavier and drunk idiots misjudging the corner and slamming into the wall! - rumour has it!

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 12:18:25 am »
Before everyone starts writing back - yes, I got my weight restrictions totally wrong!

Offline heharim

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 09:43:05 pm »
Is it not possible to have the satnav companies change their recommended routes so that lorries arenot channelled down hawkshead?

Offline Dem

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 12:35:21 pm »
Is it not possible to have the satnav companies change their recommended routes so that lorries arenot channelled down hawkshead?

That's a big ask!  I work for a company that designs and sells Sat Nav direct to the automotive manufacturers.  I'm not involved in that side of the business much, but I know that the route calculated is based on a combination of the map data and 'direction strategy'.  The level of detail included in the data varies depending on what each company think is necessary (i.e. some companies will not include speed camera locations etc.).  In theory, systems fitted at the factory could be programmed to know the size / weight of the vehicle it's fitted to and hence plan routes which avoided width / weight restrictions.  The reality is that with aftermarket Sat Nav, the system has no way of knowing what vehicle it is fitted to, so even if the necessary data was available, it couldn't be used to plan the route as far as I am aware.

The only other option is literally to ask the map suppliers to remove / block that part of the data.  As travelling over the bridge isn't illegal, there is no way they would do that, as it could lead to customer complaints etc.

I think the best thing really would be to either add a width restriction or lower the weight limit.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 01:22:47 pm »
I have just driven along Hawkshead Lane past the RVC and down to the bridge, and had to pull over for two large trucks, one carrying gas cylinders, another massive white vehicle and a fire engine.

Two days ago another large truck was blocking the road as it attempted to cross the bridge.  These vehicles are much heavier than the three-ton weight limit.

Not only that, but trying to get large trucks along Hawkshead Lane with all the cars parked there during the day is a nightmare.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 04:55:58 pm »
That is the problem with weight limit restrictions - they are ignored.

A few years ago I took a photo of a huge foreign lorry which had stopped outside the Vet College - the driver had a call of nature in the hedge apparently.  I gave the photo to the police and they said it was not worth their while tracing a foreign owner to get a 30 fine paid.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 05:03:17 pm »

A few years ago I took a photo of a huge foreign lorry which had stopped outside the Vet College - the driver had a call of nature in the hedge apparently.  I gave the photo to the police and they said it was not worth their while tracing a foreign owner to get a 30 fine paid.

Would the fine have been for driving a heavy lorry over a small bridge or peeing in a public place?

:)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 01:18:18 pm »
I see that the small bridge at the bottom of Hawkhead and Warrengate has taken a whack, no doubt by some oversized vehicle which should not be attempting to drive on it.

Offline GGDT

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 12:41:15 pm »
I have just driven along Hawkshead Lane past the RVC and down to the bridge, and had to pull over for two large trucks, one carrying gas cylinders, another massive white vehicle and a fire engine.

That's nothing, last week I was faced with a mobile crane coming the other way just before the bridge!

Had to turn round and go through Brookmans Park and down Bradmore Lane as well.

You have to wonder what goes through the minds of the drivers of these vehicles trying to get up Hawkshead? Surely they can see the road is unsuitable for them as soon as they turn into it?

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 07:32:58 pm »
I think they are following their sat navs and not using their common sense.   It tells them to go over a tiny brick bridge so it must be right!

Tags: