Author Topic: Personal messages  (Read 11089 times)

Offline NMLHS

• Opinions on many things
  • North Mymms Local History Society informant
Personal messages
« on: April 29, 2003, 02:05:36 am »
I seem to be having a problem keeping my message in the input message box. when I type a line longer than 57 characters long the remaining 23 characters of the line disappears out of the box. The whole message shows up in the preview box and when it is posted but not when I'm typing.  Is there a way to extend the width of the boxso that I can see what I'm typing?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Personal messages
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 09:19:25 am »
Hi,
I am not sure what could be causing this. I have not come across this problem before and the screens for both posting messages and sending internal messages work fine for me with the text word-wrapping at the end of each line.
What browser are you using and what screen resolution do you have set?
Has anyone else had this problem and if so were they able to fix it?
Dave
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 12:58:32 am »
Hi Dave,
I'm using Explorer 5 or Netscape 7 depending on which computer I logged on with.  I've just typed this on Explorer and i'm losing he ends of the lines.

Peter.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 06:28:43 pm »
Is this unexpected behaviour identical on both IE and Netscape ?

I've had all sorts of quirks with IE over the years (working in technical support) that are usually fixed by applying the latest patch. These are easily available - I'd suggest you run Windows Update and see if an update is available.

If it happens on both IE and Netscape then its a slightly stranger problem. What screen resolution are you using ? Is the problem the same if a different resolution is used ?

Any feedback will help diagnose the problem !

cheers, SQ

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 10:29:11 pm »
Hi SQ,

Ah very interesting the problem only seems to happen on Explorer and not on Netscape.

Thanks for the tip I will check the Microsoft website for a patch.  I'm using a Mac so it's not a strictly a Windows problem.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 02:01:06 am »
Works fine on my mac running Internet Explorer 5 - does this problem occur on any other websites or is it just this one?

James
« Last Edit: May 02, 2003, 02:02:01 am by James_Bentall »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 10:27:00 pm »
No just this one as far as I know James

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2003, 11:03:47 am »
Forum Messaging

Did you know that you can set your forum profile to forward internal messages to your e-mail account? You can also select a notification e-mail if any discussion threads you are interested in are updated.

To activate the message forwarding, go to your message box by clicking on the word 'messages' below the banner on each forum page.

Then click on 'preferences' (image with the hammer and screwdriver).  Click ‘Yes’ next to the ‘Notify by e-mail’. Then click 'Save Preferences'.

You will now receive an e-mail if anyone messages you through the site’s instant message system.

Thread update notification

To activate ‘notification’, click on the words ‘Notify of replies’ above the discussion thread you want to follow.

Valid E-mail

If you change your e-mail address, please make sure that you update your forum profile with the new details.

Without a valid e-mail address you will not be able to forward the forum’s instant messages to your e-mail account and neither will you be able to activate thread update notification.

All accounts with invalid e-mail addresses, where the user has not activated the account, or posted to the forum, have been removed.

Users who have posted, but no longer have a valid e-mail address in their profile, are asked to update their profile to prevent their account being closed.

Thanks
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 08:05:06 am »
Just a reminder about this forum's instant message system.

New members to this forum are not able to send instant messages to other forum members until they have made five posts.

This is one of the security measures we introduced a few years ago after a particularly unpleasant spam attack from a new member.

Unfortunately, it means that new members who have a genuine need to contact existing members can't do so until they have posted five times.

There are five member groups for the forum....

Member group nameStarsPostsMembers
Opinions on a couple of things *0588
Opinions on some things**5177
Opinions on many things ***10017
Opinions on most things****1003
Opinions on everything*****10002

David

Offline rainbow

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 09:26:34 am »
hello, i'd be surprised if i reach 5 with my memory
many thanks.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 09:38:12 am »
You don't have to remember, a number under your user name (on the left) reminds you how many posts you have made.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 12:48:36 pm »

There are five member groups for the forum....

Member group nameStarsPostsMembers
Opinions on a couple of things *0588
Opinions on some things**5177
Opinions on many things ***10017
Opinions on most things****1003
Opinions on everything*****10002

David

Someone has just asked me who is in the most frequent poster member groups, referred to above.

To find out, log in and go to the forum main page.

http://www.brookmans.com/forum/

and then at the bottom click on [More Stats].

Then look at Top Ten Posters.

The stats also show the most replied to topics, most viewed topics, number of hits by month etc.

Interesting to see how many members (588) have never posted. There are a lot of people who read and never post.

Dave

PS: Just noticed I have been online for 23 days 23 hours and 44 minutes. Need to get out more.

:)

Offline Abbot

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 05:40:15 pm »
Why were there so many people on line on the 30th June?

It wasn't to see if the schools had been closed due to snow, was it everyone looking at the "Village of the Year" ICT Award website, now thats when we should have had Google adverts on display!!

Looking forward to another Informative Year from the Brookmans Park Newsletter.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 05:53:01 pm »
Why were there so many people on line on the 30th June?

Hi Abbot,

It's not all real people clicking on pages. A lot of the traffic is Google indexing the site for its search engine. A good test is to look at the page impressions. Real people click on pages and download them. So on that day, 30 June 2006, it says there were 181 people online (IP addresses accessing the site), however, only 4,881 pages were downloaded (looked at). If you look at 21 June, there were 4,830 pages downloaded, but only 47 people online.

We did have Google ads on the site for a month and raised $100 from it, however they accused the site of clicking to generate revenue and gave me a telling off, so I told them to stick their dollars and took Google adsense off the site. We have never taken the money. I also have a problem with Google for what they did in China, but that's another story.

Click here for the thread about the saga.

David

Offline Barry Bloxham

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 11:23:36 am »
Having trouble finding where they are? I have looked in the HELP menu and what that shows does not appear on my page in either Int EX or Firefox!

Also I have just tried uploading a photo only 75KB size (Max Allowed 128KB)  and I get this message:

The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

Offline Barry Bloxham

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 11:27:52 am »
Also I can't see anybody's profile to send a pm I get this when I click on a site users name:

An Error Has Occurred!
Many apologies, but you can't view just any profile.

HuH!

If by magic this symbol has just appeared!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 12:24:10 pm »
Hi Barry,

I set the forum permissions so that new members with fewer than four posts could not send or receive personal messages. This was because we had a rather unpleasant spamming incident a few years back. My thinking was that after four posts we get a fairly good idea whether the new member is really interested in taking part in the forum in a constructive manner. So now you have four posts you should see the message icon and be okay.

As for the images, that puzzles me. Can you try again, please and, if you have no luck, send me an instant message (now you can use it) and I will investigate further.

Regards

David

Offline Barry Bloxham

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 03:29:35 pm »
Thanks David.

I just tried again and got the same message the jpeg was 118KB.

The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

Offline Barry Bloxham

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 03:32:54 pm »
....and I just got this when sending you a pm. :(

An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 100 seconds ago. Please try again later.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 06:29:30 pm »
Hi Barry,

I had a chat with James on the train and we figured it may be your anti virus setting. This has caused similar behaviour in the past. Try reducing the level of security a notch and have another go. Also, you may need to clear your cache.

David

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 07:48:10 pm »
Barry - I've sent you an e mail to the address in your profile details. Did you receive it? If you click on my name, that will take you to my profile and my private e mail is there as well.
Steve

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 08:13:57 pm »
Barry - I've sent you an e mail to the address in your profile details. Did you receive it? If you click on my name, that will take you to my profile and my private e mail is there as well.
Steve

Steve - I just looked at your profile and your email addy is set to 'hidden' (I think you can probably see your own!)

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 01:55:18 am »
Hi Angel - Thanks for that.  I've just unhidden it! - I hope! Can you let me know if it's there now.
Cheers
Steve

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 07:25:22 am »
Hi Angel - Thanks for that.  I've just unhidden it! - I hope! Can you let me know if it's there now.
Cheers
Steve

It's still there

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 10:43:01 pm »
Hi Angel - thank you.
Cheers
Steve

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 07:54:11 am »
Important Notice

A tip for all those receiving personal messages via this site's forum.

If you have set up your profile to receive email alerts when a personal message is sent to you via the forum, be sure not to reply to the email notification.

The email notification is only to prompt users to log on, check their personal message box on the forum, and reply.

If you reply to the email notification it will not be sent to the person who sent you a message. Instead it will just be returned to this site's admin inbox.

This then throws up a privacy issue; the site's admin team does not want to see personal correspondence between forum users. So please don't reply to the notification emails.

Thanks

David

Tags: