Author Topic: Village of the Year Award  (Read 8876 times)

Offline Peter Hastings

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Village of the Year Award
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:50:19 am »
Just to inform everyone that I attended the annual county award last night on behalf of the Parish Council and Brookmans Park won the ICT award! The judges commended the wide range of services offered and the use by public and visitors alike.

Great credit to those involved!

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
Re: Village of the Year Award
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 09:21:06 am »
Excellent! But, I'm sure I am not the only one wondering what this means. A nice sign on the village green, a few quid to Parish coffers, national news coverage? I believe the village won it before in 2004 and have a certificate, http://www.brookmans.com/news/july04/villageaward2004_2.shtml
Is this the same?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:24:54 am »
North Mymms Parish Council will get a certificate and cheque for 100.   ;D

It means that this website gets yet another recognition of its quality which we can be guilty of taking for granted.   ;D   ;D

Brookmans Park has a long history of involvment in technology advances.  I was reminded recently that the Brookmans Park Transmitting Station was used in 1928 for the very first experimental TV transmissions because it was able to transmit the picture on one waveband and the sound on another.  This was well before the Ally Pally service opened in 1936 or thereabouts.

In 2004 the Village of the Year rules were different, allowing a stand-alone category for ICT to proceed to a national winner.  Brookmans Park won the East of England regional level prize of 500, but was pipped at the national final by Bembridge, Isle of Wight.  That 500 was spent on this website and on upgrading the computing facilities and refernce books at our village library.

Unfortunately the rules have changed so the County level is the end of the line as a stand-alone category.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 10:27:05 am by Bob Horrocks »

Offline Peter Hastings

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 12:06:48 pm »
The commended village in the ICT section was Redbourne so those who run our site know who they are up against.
I should say like Bob I am aware I probably take this service for granted. I wouldnt know how to start such a thing and the work by the technical people and moderators etc is immense and appreciated.

The overall award for West Herts went to Ickleford and for East Herts to Harford Heath. The latter will go on to the regional final.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 12:59:46 pm »

That 500 was spent on this website and on upgrading the computing facilities and refernce books at our village library.

Hi,

Just to clarify how the money was spent two years ago.

North Mymms Parish Council picked up the registration cost for the URL www.brookman.com for five years at a cost of 100. This runs out in 2009.

Up until then, the team running the site has covered this charge from their own pockets, but we are grateful for the gesture from North Mymms Parish Council to cover the cost out of the ICT Village of the year 2004 winnings.

David
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 07:30:38 am by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 03:05:09 pm »
It's that time again. According to the WHT, nominations are being invited for Village of the Year 2008. Last year Brookmans Park won the ICT award. Click here for more at the WHT.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 07:55:32 am »
A note of thanks to NMPC for paying this site's registration fee for the next five years. It was a promise made when the NMPC was awarded 100 prize after Brookmans Park won the Village of the Year ICT award a few years ago. I had paid the bill myself and was pleasantly surprised when the cheque from the NMPC dropped through the letter box. Thanks again to the NMPC.

Tags: