Author Topic: Trees in B.P.  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Albert Ross

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Trees in B.P.
« on: June 04, 2007, 04:19:24 pm »
I have noticed several trees in the area have a lot of growth around the trunks. This is certainly the case around Westland, Oaklands and The Gardens. Surely this is down to the coucil to remove this unsightly mess? I have looked on Welwyn Hatfield's website to see where to report this to but B.P. is not listed. Anybody got any ideas. I also think some of the grass verges need attention which they never seem to get! >:(

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: Trees in B.P.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 05:36:41 pm »
Try Herts Highways since they are responsible for the roads, pavements etc on adopted roads.   You might contact them through www.hertsdirect.org, speaking from memory.

the parish council is to try and get some trees planted on Pine Grove to replace those removed.

Offline Albert Ross

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 09:12:59 am »
Thanks Bob, have reported this morning and been told somebody will inspect within 2 weeks.

Offline sharks

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 12:27:15 pm »
Just a note of cautioned about being careful what you wish for - the council use the strimmers with metal wire to trim around the base of trees.  What this does is in fact rip the bark off.  Once the bark has been removed from a circle around the tree, it will die.  This is especally a problem on younger trees.  I would therefore hope that the council are reluctant to trim around trees.

That said the verges need a cut.  Once upon a time one would cut ones own verge but I supposed we are all used to the nanny state -  I know I haven't done mine - but at least I don't have a lawn in the front garden.  Indeed once upon a time if a neighbour had his lawn mower out, he would probably have done a few of the verges so that they look nice    ...........  and we moan about council tax increases.

Philosophical of Peplins!!!!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 05:00:09 pm »
Just a note of cautioned about being careful what you wish for - the council use the strimmers with metal wire to trim around the base of trees.  What this does is in fact rip the bark off.  Once the bark has been removed from a circle around the tree, it will die.  This is especally a problem on younger trees.  I would therefore hope that the council are reluctant to trim around trees.

There was a story about this on the site four years ago this week.

Click here to read it.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Albert Ross

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 08:09:53 am »
The Council said they will send a tree surgeon to carry out the necessary work so I think there is no fear of metal wired strimmers attacking the trunks.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 11:12:50 am »
Thanks to action by a Tree Warden, 'a good few trees' should be planted on Pine Grove.

Offline Albert Ross

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 08:36:22 am »
It would be a good idea if the tree Warden would take a look at some other turnings around B.P. Certainly Westland Drive area has lost quite a few trees over the past few years of which few have been replaced.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 10:47:33 am »
I don't know who are Tree Wardens, and suggest that Albert or anyone else interested should contact Welwyn Hatfield Council Landscape and Ecology section (01707 357329) to get contact details for the warden covering Westland Drive, or whichever road they are concerned about. 

In March this year the council celebrated the first year of the Tree Warden scheme.  As a result of some publicity  about 70 people recently volunteered to become Tree Wardens.  That was for the whole borough of course. The council is keen to hear from anyone who would like to join the Tree Warden Scheme, particularly those who live in Panshanger or Central Hatfield. For more information call the Landscape and Ecology section on 01707 357329.

Tags: