Author Topic: Old photographs  (Read 6282 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Old photographs
« on: March 13, 2003, 10:40:00 am »
Have you any old photographs of North Mymms you would be willing to have displayed on this site for the benefit of others? If so it might be worth producing an online photo gallery made up of images contributed by members of the local community. Click here to read more.
If you have photographs you would like to share please mention them here.  All would need to be scanned and e-mailed to photographs@brookmans.com
Again, for more details about this proposed project please click here
« Last Edit: March 13, 2003, 10:52:54 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline john

• Opinions on many things
Re: Old photographs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2003, 11:27:43 am »
A point to consider ?  
From work elsewhere, I know of an an appeal that has gone out around another village for people to donate almost any photos of the locality they have spare (eg  from a house-clearance), preferably annotated ...    
The working assumptions include:
>  feeding them through on CD ROM to the Local Studies Archive too for posterity ...
>  a relatively recent photograph starts to become "old" (or to show "change", to become interesting, ... ) surprisingly quickly

bw  -  jf(rvc)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2003, 11:43:29 am »
Good points John. We can always burn a CD of the site and submit it or the local history studies can do that themselves. The more people who have access to such information the better.  And you are right. A picture of the village in 1970 or 1980 etc would also be interesting because of the changes -- and as each year goes by that interest would increase.
David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

chass

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 05:26:21 pm »
Some people may be concerned that they would be required to donate the actual print.
Reading this thread, and the appeal page on the main site, I'm sure it was never intended to give that impression.

I visited Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies at County Hall, to research Marshmoor, and I asked if they would like to scan the photograph. They seemed as pleased as if I had donated the print itself. The scan was performed and a print produced while I waited. Notes were pencilled on the rear of the copy and a scan of my grandfather's Z.21 (Certificate of Transfer to Reserve), giving Company details, is to be kept with the print.

Perhaps some guidance could be given on the best size and quality of scan required - my original Marshmoor scan was 21 megabytes!

If anyone has an image to submit but does not have a scanning or email facility, or is not confident in their use, then I (and I'm sure others) would be happy to help.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2003, 05:36:10 pm »
Some people may be concerned that they would be required to donate the actual print.

Good point John.
I have changed the front page story to try to make this clear. People would keep the prints. I only asked for scans to be e-mailed because otherwise it could turn into a big job collecting, scanning and returning prints. If people can arrange to have pictures scanned and e-mailed to photographs@brookmans.com then they can be considered for inclusion. Any size will do but preferably not smaller than 400 pixels wide.  They will be formatted this end to fit into a page on the site and compressed to download quickly.
David
« Last Edit: March 13, 2003, 05:42:33 pm by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2003, 09:15:37 pm »
The second picture has come in thanks to Neville at Windsors.  Clearly a picture of his hut on Bradmore Green before it was painted. Neville, can you send me more details please, date, who is in the picture, who took the photo perhaps and whether you want a mention on the page when I put it together please.  Anyway nice photo which has been compressed so it downloads quickly in the forum.

Cheers
David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2003, 04:28:30 pm »
Two old aerial shots of Brookmans Park have been sent in by Neville Hobbs for the collection. Not sure of the date or the road show in the second one yet, Neville is checking. These are small compressed versions of the full-sized pictures.  

Click here for a full-size version of the first one

click here for a full-size version of the second.

Remember, if you have any old photographs you would like to share on the site please mail them to photographs@brookmans.com

« Last Edit: March 20, 2003, 10:53:06 pm by admin »

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2003, 10:53:42 pm »
I think the second picture is of Georges Wood Road, looking west from its junction with Great North Road. You can see the mark of Calder Avenue in the background (before Woodlands and Shrublands, of course). You can also see Pine Grove going off to the right.

ATG

ps Any good aerial shots of GNR near to Mymms Drive or Shepherds Way?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2003, 10:54:26 pm by Alfred_the_Great »
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2003, 11:38:17 am »
The North Mymms Local History Society has given permission for more than 50 photographs of the shops around Brookmans Park's Bradmore Green to be reproduced online.  The images were taken nine years ago. Click here for more information

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2003, 01:39:36 pm »
Just found these on the site. ATG is correct about the second photo. I have guessed both ariel photos to have been taken some time from 1945 to 1948. Assuming they were both taken at the same time, that is,as the semis in Bluebridge Road opposite Moffats Lane have just been built, which, I believe, were built under licence just after the war as their construction is of a basic nature.
As far as the phot of my "Office" is concerned, I have no real idea at all when it was taken. A local brought it in to show me one day - he had borrowed it from his boss!
David, you can always mention my name.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2003, 01:46:05 pm by WINDSORS »

Offline Dubhagan

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 05:14:09 pm »
I belong to North Mymms Bowls Club and have started on a project to collect photos and stories to do with the club. The N.M.B.C. was founded in 1938 and is located at the Recreation Ground in Welham Green. If anyone has any information or photos (that can be copied) I would be very grateful. When I joined the club, 30 years ago it was the Vice-Captain who took me in hand. His name was Sid Choat from B.P. I have some old photos that I would like to add but I don't know how to do it.
                                                            Bill  (Dubhagan)
Dubhagan.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 05:39:45 pm »
Hi Bill,

Are you building a website for your project, or just gathering information?

If you have pictures you want scanning in we could do that and create a gallery for this site and then you could use them later for your project or site. How many pictures are there?

Mail me by clicking here if you want help.

David

Offline trinity

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2004, 12:05:48 am »
Two old aerial shots of Brookmans Park have been sent in by Neville Hobbs for the collection. Not sure of the date or the road show in the second one yet, Neville is checking. These are small compressed versions of the full-sized pictures.  

I suspect both of these were taken at the same time as the photograph, "32a.jpg" that is already on the site. There used to be a copy of this in the window of the butchers' shop, which copy was dated summer 1947. I suspect this because of the apparent state of what are now 63-69 Oaklands Avenue - which look like they're just being built in both "32a.jpg" and "windsorsbpbig1.jpg". As far as I can remember from conversations, 71-73 Oaklands were built sometime 1950-52.

I hadn't noticed that posting before now - thanks very much since 32a.jog (a copy of which our editor sent me) is a little small.

Tags: