Author Topic: Country Life Survey  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Jazz

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Country Life Survey
« on: March 07, 2003, 07:43:38 pm »
I bet Country Life is delighted at the column inches generated by their 'survey'. I am amused by their statement that "it is in fact possible to judge definitively the best county in England". Oh yes? And whose criteria are we looking at here? I see, for example, that sport has been rated by their 3 'hunting shooting and fishing experts'. Great, if you want to hunt, shoot and fish. No wonder Hertfordshire scored zip!
Click here to read about the Country Life survey
(Note from editor: Edited only to add the link to the survey)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2003, 09:07:45 pm by admin »

Offline crazymonkey

• Eat bananas
Re: Country Life Survey
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 09:54:59 pm »
Great, so, to get to the top of the league we need to start slaughtering foxes, rabbits, badgers, in fact anything that has a right to live in the Hertfordshire countryside. So how about this for an idea, everybody in Brookmans Park let's get some rifles and start killing defenceless animals and go to the top of the County Life league.  You know it makes sense.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2003, 09:56:56 pm by crazymonkey »
Go through with the nasty things then enjoy the good.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 10:36:17 pm »
Hmmm, I may have the odd beef here and there with our County Council and District council, but overall I think Hertfordshire's a good area to live in. In fact, I'm sure I read somewhere recently that Hertfordshire was so good to live in, that we should all pay much more council tax to compensate less favoured areas!
I do have an issue with the schools in Hertfordshire, but when it comes to sport, my 11-year-old son is able to play club football, rugby, cricket (2 teams), tennis, badminton and go swimming and do athletics, all within a 3 mile radius of where we live. WHDC has even put in place a Community Sports Development Officer who is young and keen and has developed several initiatives for encouraging children into sport. I think this should be applauded.
I'm going to leave the other areas on the survey for others to comment on........................?

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 10:42:55 pm »
Well I don't know where they got the field sports ideas from.
There is virtually no hunting in Herts.
The fishing is generally rubish. Rivers are few and far between. Still waters are all artificially maintained.
As for shooting the vast majority of people who shoot, have never shot a living thing in their lives.
Like the wrong type of leaves on the track, Herts has the wrong sort of deer.
Wildlife, well the birds at least are in definite decline.
Herts should by the sporting and wildlife county of England, but its been turned into urban overspill.
regards,
jet

Offline crazymonkey

• Eat bananas
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2003, 09:07:46 pm »
If people say hertfordshire is not a good area to live in because we got zilch(0) on a hunting survey then they  have something wrong with them. I think that the less hunting the better. Wild animals have every right to live in the beautiful woods and forests in hertfordshire!!!!!!!!!!!      I mean durrrrrrr  :P
« Last Edit: March 09, 2003, 09:09:07 pm by crazymonkey »
Go through with the nasty things then enjoy the good.

Offline Mooniemad

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2003, 10:10:36 pm »
I was always told that Gosling sports park was one of the best in the countries. Wierd that is?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2003, 09:32:18 pm »
So the Local Government Chronicle has voted Hertfordshire County Council the local authority of the year 2003 just two weeks after Country Life magazine rubbished the authority.  Click here for more details
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2003, 11:53:14 pm »
Which shows that there are" lies, damn lies and statistics" as some yank once said.
Truth is if you want to live in an area that is permanantly smokey with a background noise of M25/A1 and noisy brats then look no further, grrrrrr
regards,
jet
oh for the mooing of cows and the bleating of sheep, the crick of the pheasant, enough to make you weep.

Tags: