Author Topic: Is it time to 'reclaim' our village centre?  (Read 8283 times)

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
Is it time to 'reclaim' our village centre?
« on: March 07, 2003, 02:50:14 pm »
I was shocked to read in this week's WHT of a mugging in Brookmans Park last Friday evening. This snippet is on p11 titled 'Robbery in dark alley'. To quote:

"A robbery in Brookmans Park took place in an alleyway, which has been without a street light for many months. A 43-year-old resident was walking home along the pathway off Station Road, used as a short cut to his home, when the incident took place at around 10pm on Friday night. Three young men pushed him against a wall, searched him and stole various items. The men were wearing dark clothes, had short dark hair and were under 20-years-old. All were slim and 5ft 10in tall".

I have read numerous postings on this site regarding residents' fears about various groups hanging around the village centre, particularly at night. Obviously, not all are here with benign intent. I would like to see if we could do something to help make our village safe again.
Perhaps if everyone posts under this thread any experiences they have had in the village in the last 6 months where they have felt, or been, threatened or intimidated, we could show it to our local police station and ask for a patrol in the evenings for a while. It's got to be worth a shot!

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Re: Is it time to 'reclaim' our village centre?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 04:38:54 pm »
Astounding, I walked through there about a hour earlier.
There are nearly always "herberts" and "herbertess'" hanging around there. Pity they were not there to prevent it.
I cannot remember who I saw that night, I almost wish they had picked on me rather than someone who was possibly tired after a hard day.
Its getting closer, we cannot keep pretending its everywhere else now.
Look where you are walking, walk purposefully and if anything worries you scarper, trust your instinct there is no shame in running.
Almost in full view of the pub?
Worth being very carefull in the station car park!
Remember criminals are not like "normal" people, they really do not care and have no fear of the law, totally due to their "human rights"
regards,
jet
« Last Edit: March 07, 2003, 10:48:59 pm by jet »

Offline crazymonkey

• Opinions on some things
  • Eat bananas
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 05:21:15 pm »
It might help for every house hold in brookmans park gives one or two pounds a month for the safety of the village and to get some patrol police at night.    ???
« Last Edit: March 11, 2003, 05:28:19 pm by crazymonkey »
Go through with the nasty things then enjoy the good.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2003, 07:07:42 pm »
Er............ we do. It's called council tax!  ;)
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Jazz

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2003, 07:13:52 pm »
I'd be more than happy to do this, there does seem to be a bit of a problem in the village centre and it would be great to get it sorted before it gets any worse.

Of course, there is, perhaps, another way.........
What could be more offputting for a bunch of yobs to arrive for their night's 'fun' in the village to find it already occupied - with US! We could band together into groups and 'stroll around' as if we own the place (we do!). Where's the fun for the yobs when suddenly it's the ever-rockin' babyboomers hanging around outside Alldays, the pub and the chippy? Where's the excitement in the alleyway if it's full of strolling, chatting villagers, and where's left for them to pose if we reclaim the street corners and the benches for OUR impromptu get-together's? They'll soon find somewhere else!?!

Offline crazymonkey

• Eat bananas
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 07:33:54 pm »
are you sure you and your friends are willing to take the risk of being mugged in a group ???

Offline crazymonkey

• Eat bananas
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 07:36:01 pm »
James is right i wasn't thinking in paying council tax we sould get police men anyway where's the money going? ???

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2003, 09:14:42 pm »
We do have our very own community policeman, but because of 'cutbacks' he has to cover a clutch of other villages too!

Canoodle on the bench on the village green anyone?

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2003, 09:19:05 pm »
Throwing money at a problem will not work, creating an atmosphere where the criminal cannot ply their trade will have an effect.
regards,
jet
as for the village green, after a few beers tommorow I will be anyones ( and a perfect target for a "mugger"

Offline crazymonkey

• Eat bananas
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2003, 09:22:48 pm »
very funny Jet  ;D

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2003, 12:00:39 am »

Canoodle on the bench on the village green anyone?

You'd have a problem-  it's been vandalised  ::)

As far as I am aware, I haven't actually seen said group of youths recently in the evenings (wot wiv me living just round the corner from there), so I guess they may have moved on anyway.
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Reginald

• Gunners fan
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2003, 06:17:12 pm »
I came back from London about 9.30 on Saturday. The 4 "yobs" hanging around the ticket machine at the station definately were not planning a train trip!

Luckily there were 4 of us (2 couples) but it would have been very daunting if I was alone! :(

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2003, 08:07:15 pm »
A public meeting has been arranged by Hertfordshire Police Authority for Tuesday 25 March at the URC on Bluebridge Road so that residents can quiz officers on local police issues. The latest neighbourhood watch newsletter deals with issues such as speeding, burglary and kids on the street. Click here for more details
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2003, 10:25:33 pm »
So plod gets a roasting from whoever bothers to turn up, then everyone ( and if the forum meet last night is an example vitually no one) goes home, nothing changes, police time is wasted and any observant burglars will know who to target.
If youngsters from outside the area are congregating in the village green why are our local herberts not seeing them off?
All a bit strange.
The language of our younger residents is appalling, still its their homan rights enit.
Imagine plod takes em in for swearing in public and dad turns up with lawyer doing his nut " my boys a good boy"
I'm off for a walk around my village, grrrrrr
regards,
jet

Offline Ann

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2003, 11:31:29 pm »
 :o
Oh dear, it so depressing that Brookmans Park is no longer a safe place....
I remember, as a teenager sitting in a group around the village green (Even canoodled on the bench) but never intimidated or hurt anyone.
Sorry to 'harp on' about the past because it is not construtive for the hear and now,but I do not have the answer to the problem.
I could make a flippant remark, but I will keep it to myself.

observer

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2003, 11:41:49 pm »
If this is the street light by the hairdressers alley, then I think it is about time either the police or the council should be sued.  From the 20.12.02 I have liased with both the police and the council who both deny responsibility over this street lamp.  I have even taken it to the local press, but  still nothing has been done .  I warned them that a mugging  or worse  might happen if this light was not repaired.    It almost makes me think  that the council will only begin to listen when we decide that they do not deserve our council tax.  I whole heartedly support the idea of a village security force.  There are too many strangers causing trouble.

Offline tigger

• Bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2003, 01:11:54 am »
What good do you expect a village security force to do, and who the hell is going to be in it?

Let's face it, if as a village we can't even find enough people to even cover a quarter of it with neighbourhood watch schemes either because we're too busy or we can't be bothered, a village security force is a bit of a non starter me thinks.

4 'yobs' hanging around the station ticket machine last Saturday evening? Probably because that is about the only public place in Brookmans Park where teenagers can meet that is undercover. Were they actually demonstrating anti social behaviour, or just standing around talking to their mates? I know some older people might find that intimidating, but unless those same people are prepared to help find a solution to where young people can go in the evening (kids on the street thread is that a way...), I don't see they've got many grounds for complaint.

I've lived in several different areas over the last few years, and have never felt unsafe whilst being in Brookmans Park - more than I can be said for some other local areas.

Yes, crime does happen here and it is unwelcome, but I think we have a lot to be thankful for, and if we want to help rid the village of the little crime that we do have - well, neighbourhood watch coordinators would be a good starting point. Anyone willing to volunteer? Didn't think so. Let me guess - too busy  ???

I am aware this some people might view this post as a bit inflammatory - sorry if you feel like that. Just my opinion.

Tigger
« Last Edit: March 14, 2003, 01:15:32 am by tigger »
The wonderful thing about tiggers is that I'm the only one!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2003, 03:03:06 pm »
Leaflets posted through the door confirm the public meeting on community safety will be held at 7.30 on Tuesday 25 March at the URC on Bluebridge Road. Click here for more details
The leaflet says the priority issues for discussion are:

• Tackling anti-social behaviour and criminal damage
  • Reducing violence against people
  • Keeping youngsters safe and out of trouble
  • Misuse of drugs and alcohol
  • Reducing burglary
  • Reducing vehicle crime.

The leaflet encourages local residents to tell the local police authority office in advance of any issues for discussion.  

You can write or fax items up to Thursday 20 March to:

Hertfordshire Police Authority
Freepost ANG6281
Hertford
SG13 8YS

(No stamp required)

E-mail: roger.bardle@hertscc.gov.uk
phone: 01992-555628
fax: 01992-555625

Clearly it is a good opportunity for forum members to raise issues raised here on the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2003, 03:11:13 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2003, 11:44:46 pm »
I hear that the street lamp in the alleyway has now been repaired. Hopefully that should make it a bit safer to walk through!

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2003, 04:52:12 pm »
Folowing the meeting with plod and the comments about hooligans etc. I do not know what it is like in Welham Green but lets get it right about BP, yes there are youngsters hanging about making the green look untidy and yes their language is appaling, however they are swearing and larging it up with each other.
If they do abuse anyone, let plod know.
As for drug taking, I have seen no evidence and as far as boozing goes, the odd can of beer shared about, supplied no doubt by local stores?
You cannot expect them to behave well when you see the example set by some of their elders, speeding, parking on the pavement, noise etc etc
This is the first generation of totally undisciplined (either at school or at home) youngsters and we only have ourselves to blame for letting the do gooder style politicians have their liberal ways.
I note in todays current bun that 2 14 year olds were killed racing "their" stolen Vectra at 120MPH through the Mersey tunnel after crashing into a police road block while racing another stolen car. The coroner has held the police to blame for the tragic loss of life, no mention of what would have happened if they had been stopped, and people moan about things around here?
Well thats a good rant for a Wednesday, anyone top it?
regards,
jet

Tags: