Author Topic: Marshmoor Camp  (Read 2746 times)

chass

Marshmoor Camp
« on: March 02, 2003, 07:30:35 pm »
Whilst scanning some old photos connected with my family history, I was moved to wonder just where *was* Marshmoor camp. Lo and behold, I have lived about a mile from it for about 17 years!
So:
Can anyone confirm this is the Marshmoor in question?
Would anyone like a copy of the photo?

My grandfather, Nicholas Bates Benson is in the back row, 3rd from the right of the photo. The original is about 6" x 4", I can scan at any size you like, still looks good at 3500 x 2500 pixels (2 Mb or so).

Regards,

John.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Marshmoor Camp
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2003, 10:34:16 pm »
John,
A member of the North Mymms Local History Society says he thinks you are right and that the photograph is of the Marshmoor camp which, he says, was used for German prisoners during the 1914-1918 war. The camp is mentioned in Peter Kingsford's book 'North Mymms People in Victorian Times.' (Chap.13). The book is reproduced in full on this site. http://www.brookmans.com/history/kingsford2/ch13.shtml
« Last Edit: March 02, 2003, 11:42:17 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

chass

Re: Marshmoor Camp
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2003, 11:53:34 pm »
Yes, thanks - that's the reference I had seen.
I couldn't believe it when I entered Marshmoor into streetmap.co.uk and found it was so close to me (I'm in Far End, off the Hatfield part of Traveller's Lane).
I couldn't find any other web references to Marshmoor Camp, so I suppose I was really looking for confirmation that the photo was taken here. I think I have it.

Again, it may be that others would like a better quality copy, feel free to contact me.

John.

chass

Re: Marshmoor Camp - Found It?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2003, 07:51:25 pm »
Today I took a trip to Hertford County Hall to visit the HALS and I think I have found where the photograph was taken.
The following is a portion of the 1925 OS map and I'm guessing that the structures in Field No. 496 (to the west of the sawmill) are the camp huts - they are not shown on the 1937 map, the whole area being Field No. 497.
If I am correct, the photo would have been taken in vicinity of the blue square, the single hut to the east being just visible at the far right of the photo, with the trees of Millwards Park on the horizon.

I presume the well referred to in Peter Kingsford's book is that by the green square.

John.

Tags: