Author Topic: Driving and using a mobile  (Read 20511 times)

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
Driving and using a mobile
« on: March 06, 2007, 07:31:01 pm »
Driving to work this morning along the A1000, the girl in the car behind was using her mobile and doing hand gestures while she was talking.  Then tonight, turning into Moffats Lane was a van driver using his phone. 

Won't people ever learn?

>:(

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: Driving and using a mobile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 10:22:06 am »
I know someone who learned when stopped and fined for using a mobile phone.  I am not sure if any points were added to the driving licence.  That person now has a hands-free phone in the car.

Offline PC Jo Wakelen

• Opinions on some things
  • Log on to message me using the email icon below
    • Hertfordshire Constabulary
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 08:59:44 am »
Hi there,
Regarding the use of mobile phones whilst driving.  The legislation has now changed to help police enforce this law.    It is now a finable offence with 3 points on the offending driver's license.  Of course to those drivers who are already high on points this will mean them losing their license altogether.

In order to use your phone in your vehicle, it has to be totally handsfree whilst driving.  However there have been many instances whereby the drivers have pulled over and answered their mobiles.  This is still an offence.  If a driver has not got a handfree kit in their car then the only way they can answer it is if the car is stationary, the engine is switched off and the driver does not have the ignition keys in their possession.  If the driver still has hold of the keys or the keys are in the ignition then they are still in control of the vehicle.

If anyone has any questions about this then please feel free to email me.

Many thanks

Jo
PC Jo Wakelen, the community police officer for Brookmans Park and Little Heath. For all emergencies, please call 999. For non-emergencies, please calll 0845 33 00222. To contact our local office, ring 01707-638112.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 10:05:18 am »
Thanks Jo for the information.

We all know it is your job to apply the law but this just shows how the law is an ass, yet again.  I feel sorry for you and all other police officers for having to enforce this garbage.  It gives the police a bad name, but the blame really lies with Parliament and the civil service.  Do we really get the Government we deserve? 

What does the keys being in one's possession mean in reality?  If I switch off the ignition, take the keys out of the keyhole and put them on the passenger seat next to me, who has possession of the keys?  ME because there is nobody else in the car.   ::)  I will have to open the car door and put the keys on the ground and close the car door before using the mobile phone presumably.

I think this type of legislation is a product of the dumbed down education system which seems to have made it impossible for legislators to think through what they are drafting.  I do not claim to be brainy but this law is plainly moronic.   :mblah05: :mblah05: :mblah05:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 10:11:04 am by Bob Horrocks »

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 11:02:53 am »
Jo

So, are you saying that if your car is on a public road it is effectively illegal to use your mobile phone in your car ? - on the basis that you would be bound to have the car keys on you as you wouldn't leave it unlocked in public.

What about if you are parked, but sat in a seat other than the driver's seat whilst using your mobile, but still have the keys on you ? Is that still illegal, given that you are technically in charge of the vehicle ?

It seems an incredibly badly thought out piece of legislation to me.

Offline Cassie

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 06:24:14 pm »
Totally agree with you both, by the time you've parked, removed the keys etc etc - the person calling will have rung off

Surely parking and turning off the ignition is good enough

Offline Abbot

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 10:42:29 pm »
I think there are enough people out there to prosecute for driving while talking. Than worrying about looking at stopped cars.

No wonder some people think the police pick on some people. 

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 09:17:53 am »
Why not just turn your phone off?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 03:48:31 pm »
I still see lots of people driving along and using a mobile phone.  The problem is that there are few police actually out there in person.  And this new device of a CCTV camera with a tannoy is not going to stop this activity.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 09:35:06 am »
Most days I see a Police Transit type van equipped with camera which is used as a mobile speed camera. This is either travelling along the A414 towards Hertford or on the A10. Sometimes it is stationary with a 'support' of 1 or 2 high speed Police cars lying in wait. In addition, the Police operatives inside are using other camera equipment to detect if drivers are using belts, phones and as additional evidence on driving speed or behaviour. Coincidently these vans also appear to have a tannoy facilty, (I guess they double up as crowd control vehicles)  but for motoring offences, the 1st you'll know you've been caught is when the fine plops on to the door mat! So often though I see drivers speeding excessively or using hand held phones, they never seem to get caught!

Offline Sir Bagalot

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 01:18:15 pm »
Why is everyone jumping on the bandwagon? ???

I have previously used mobiles whilst driving but what is the difference between someone using a mobile and lighting a cigarette? Opening a Mars bar? Shaving? Applying makeup? Opening a bottle of drink (as in bottle of water)? Dealing with Children that need attention?

In my eyes the difference is nothing, yet we are now fined and get points for being on a mobile :icon_scratch:

John_fraser

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 01:29:45 pm »
See:
1 - PEOPLE who use their cellphone while driving often claim it is no worse than chatting to someone sitting in the passenger seat. Suzanne McEvoy has news for them: it's twice as bad.

2 - How many things can you do at once?

The second one requires you to subscribe or get a back issue to get the whole article, but it is probably cheaper than killing someone.

Offline Sir Bagalot

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 07:58:31 pm »
I'm not disputing that it distracts you... what I am saying is that talking on a mobile is no worse that drinking from a bottle/smoking/eating etc etc

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 11:36:54 am »
If you are talking to a passenger and something happens that requires immediate action then the passenger should be aware of the situation and you can also tell them to shut up.  Similarly if you are eating, drinking etc. you can drop the food etc, though watch out for lit ciggies.

If you are in conversation with someone on a mobile phone the other person is not aware of your situation, and it takes more of your concentration to participate in the discussion than it does to eat etc.  If you crash and your phone goes dead (and hopefully not you with it) then the other person will be wondering what happened. 

That is the difference in my humble opinion.   I know of someone whose car was a write-off in a collision when the other driver was talking on a mobile phone.  His Volvo lived up to its reputation because he survived the crash.

But then, a fatal accident happened very recently caused by a bee or wasp sting.  Remind me never to wear shorts when driving!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 11:38:25 am by Bob Horrocks »

Offline PC Jo Wakelen

• Log on to message me using the email icon below
    • Hertfordshire Constabulary
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 10:21:34 am »
Hi folks,

Let me clarify a few points which I think have been lost in translation.

In order to use you phone in your car you either need to have a handsfree device or the cars engine needs to be switched off and the keys out of the ignition. If the keys are still in the ignition drivers are still in charge of the vehicle and therefore committing an offence.

The amount of people who just stop their cars, swerve in and answer their phones not thinking that they are parked in dangerous positions is increasing.

So the best thing to do is use a handfree device or switch your phone off for the journey.

For those who  believe there are worst traffic offence that we as Police should be concentrating on, there is a reason that this offence now holds a 3 point penalty and fine.  The amount of accidents and fatalities that have been proven to be caused by people driving whilst using a mobile has increased so much that it has been deemed necessary for the government and police to act.

If anyone has any queries then please feel free to mail me and I will answer any questions.

Many thanks
Jo
PC Jo Wakelen, the community police officer for Brookmans Park and Little Heath. For all emergencies, please call 999. For non-emergencies, please calll 0845 33 00222. To contact our local office, ring 01707-638112.

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 10:25:04 am »
I saw three drivers yesterday, in this area, driving using their mobiles  >:(

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 02:21:36 pm »
I witnessed an incident where a bloke pulled out of Park Close at the top of the bend on Moffats and tried to turn right with one hand while on the mobile phone. He didn't see me, so I beeped the horn to get his attention and he honked back, as if I was in the wrong.

::)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 05:14:27 pm »
He didn't see me, so I beeped the horn to get his attention and he honked back, as if I was in the wrong.

::)
Dave, really, don't you know that everyone on the road thinks they are right and everyone else is wrong? !

We all seem to live in bubbles secure in the knowledge our airbags and side impact bars will keep us safe and nobody can harm us. So long as we are right, everyone else must be wrong! You should have known he was coming out of that junction and just HAD to make or receive that call, you shouldn't have been driving along his bit of road - how dare you! >:D

The times the same thing happens to me there are so many aggressive and arrogant drivers on the road I, like you, despair.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 09:23:50 pm »
Road safety officers from Hertfordshire County Council were out at rush hour at nine sites across the county keeping an eye out for distracted drivers. They spotted:

236 people on hand-held mobile phones
81 people texting
44 people drinking hot drinks
60 people eating breakfast
32 people reading

http://www.hertsdirect.org/distracteddriver

Sounds like an average day in Brooky Park.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 09:29:39 am »
Amazing arrogance yesterday. A bloke driving a performance Audio at speed down Moffats approached the Bluebridge Road junction. I was about to cross but he clearly had no intention of slowing early. He was using his mobile phone and then, amazingly, let go of the steering wheel and moved the phone from his left hand to his right so he could change gear. And - as described in the other thread about parking at the end of Moffats - he had to navigate past other vehicles.

Either 1) mind-boggling arrogance, 2) ignorance of the law, or 3) lack of intelligence.  I suspect a mix of 1 + 3.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 09:45:01 am »
A bloke driving a performance Audio at speed down Moffats

Sounds like he was driving some sort of sound system!!  Mind you sometimes that wouldn't be such a shock either by the volumes people have in their cars.

Totally agree about the phones - don't know how it will be changed but something needs to be done.  >:(

PS  I wouldn't normally pick up on spellings/typos but that one made me smile  :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:33:07 am by Angel »

Offline Liqourice

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 08:31:29 am »
Instead of answering the phone, as nothing is more important than keeping you eyes on the road. You can call them back or change your voicemail to say that you are driving (even if you are not) and you will call them back when you have finished driving or when it is safe too.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 09:34:05 am »
Not sure if this has been posted before, very powerful bit of film.  I know talking on a phone is more apparent for others to see but whatever someone is doing - they certainly aren't concentrating on driving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTaZX3NEkRk
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:50:33 am by Angel »

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 02:08:45 pm »
For once I am absolutely shocked.....

Will send links to each of the kids
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 02:32:21 pm »
For once I am absolutely shocked.....

Will send links to each of the kids

Apparently, it only cost a few thousand pounds to make
There's more about it  HERE

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 03:42:54 pm »
Not sure if this has been posted before, very powerful bit of film.  I know talking on a phone is more apparent for others to see but whatever someone is doing - they certainly aren't concentrating on driving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTaZX3NEkRk

Powerful stuff. I hope the driver of the Audio (sic) Audi reads this and thinks again about driving at speed with no hands while making a call.

Offline Liqourice

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 06:15:01 pm »
Staged yeah...?  very graphic

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 06:29:04 pm »
Staged yeah...? 

Yes - made by Gwent Police.  Would be good if everyone who thinks it's ok to use their mobile while driving saw it

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 06:02:46 pm »
GWR this afternoon - one woman texting with two young children in the car, ended up on the wrong side of the road. vehicle black Peugeot.

A guy on the phone as he attempted to enter left onto A1000 from GWR whilst trying to navigate around a truck which was in front of him travelling in the same direction. if a vehicle had been coming in the opposite direction, in either case we would have had two potentially serious accidents. vehicle black Mercedes.

keep them peeled!!

I can identify these individuals if our local police are interested.........

Offline Therock

• Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 06:14:42 pm »
I go walking everyday, and on average I see at least 10-15 people  driving whilst using mobile phones.  These people need  to be caught and nicked.   Why dont our local police sit in the police car, and watch the people enter Brookmans Park whilst texting,phoning or whatever. They would have a Field Day! So come on you  local police start nicking a few of these baddies and I suggest you start by the Brookmans Pub, You will have 10 in the first hour. Give it a Go! "YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE"

Tags: