Author Topic: Road Works  (Read 6491 times)

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
Road Works
« on: February 03, 2003, 03:39:08 pm »
Can anyone tell me why the local council have decided it would be a good idea to close off the section of the A1000 around GWR the week AFTER half term.

I can't believe there is still at least another 6 weeks of Road works, but even worse, they are closing access onto the A1000 from Georges Wood Road for a week from 21st Feb. If they really had to do this, wouldn't it have made more sense to do it during the half term week??

It will be chaos of course!

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Re: Road Works
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 04:31:08 pm »
chaos r us ;D

seems the councils speciality subject >:(

regards,

jet

well at least it gives us something to bitch about now that the snow has gone ;)

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 05:39:45 pm »
Hi,

I've heard that the reason this is taking so long is because all the pipes they originally put down were the wrong size, and that's why they're all being dug up again.  Additional stretches have also been dug up for some other reason, probably to use up the excess road funds they've been given so that their budgets don't get cut next year....

....anyone who can help with correcting or confirming this wild speculation, please do.

Aidan

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 06:40:35 pm »
A little more info has been added to the site explaining how the diversions will work. click here
The information was taken from a Herts Co Co Public Notice and is reproduced word for word. It includes contact numbers if people want to know more.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 12:02:16 am »
Following Aidan's observation, I'm not sure if they used the wrong size pipe or not (although that would explain the length of time taken to redo all the junctions) but driving along the GNR each day I do notice several points where water is still seeping out between the new tarmac strip and the old road surface.

What's the betting that within six months of the new surface going down, someone has to dig it up again?

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 12:04:58 am »
Sorry, another thought. It will soon be a year since these road works started, and I'm looking forward to them finishing. But then the missus reminded me of how it used to be trying to pull out into the traffic, particularly at rush hour. Perhaps we could get a permanent set of traffic lights at the Shepherds Way or Kentish Lane junctions, just to moderate the flow a little.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Govvy

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2003, 01:09:40 pm »
Well, I live in Pine Grove, and I seen a lot of works on the A1000 in my time, but what anoys me even more is the when they changed the water pipes, the big blue pipes!

They took out sections of street lights and 1 of the more dangerous spots on the A1000 is dark, right on a bend. so they have to do more roadworks there, with no street lights. I seen 3 cars smashed there, thats just before the road leading to the 'I beleive a new housing development.'

Its also exactly the same spot, where when the snow came, block the taffic even more!!

Offline MC

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2003, 02:54:42 pm »
There is a simple explanation to all this. If you bear it in mind then you will find your expectations are greatly lowered and consequently you become less stressed about, what I agree, are roadworks of ludicrous duration.

The simple fact is that the people in charge of this sort of thing - i.e. highways - are customer-unfocussed morons. Unfortunately their antics are amplified by the weight of bureacracy and budget restrictions.

Excessive diagnosis? I don't think so. Why else would we have endless and repeat roadworks that are poorly timed? Why else would anyone seriously install that "thing" in Welham Green? Why else would they do short-termist road patching thus failing to perform their duty of care to properly maintain infrastructure we have all paid for?

Chill out. It's going to get worse anyway

Mark

John_fraser

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2003, 03:31:34 pm »
You're probably right, but was it the Highway's Agency or the Water company that dug up the A1000 twice?

Also, the law requires that the road is patched after being dug up by a utility company. Their patches last about six months.

Offline Ann

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2003, 11:11:57 pm »
 >:( >:(  The work on the A1000 has been going on and off for the past year or so, and for whatever reason; many have been suggested. All I can say is, if you  are going  to and from Brookmans Park and Northaw a few times a day it is a pain in the ........

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 09:56:06 am »
WARNING
Two sets of roadworks get underway this week affecting Warrengate Road and Station Road. One set of diversions could last six months, the other one month. Diversions are via Welham Green and Brookmans Park.
Click here to read about the diversions on Warrengate Road
Click here to read about the diversions on Station Road

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 11:01:44 am »
Advance warning

Herts Highways have issued this notice (abbreviated)

1.   Closure of Swanley Bar Lane from its junction with A1000 Great North Road for about 100 metres.  It will be closed for up to 3 weeks, sometime between 5th and 26th September 2011.

2.   Closure of B157 Shepherds Way from its junction with A1000 Great North Road for about 100 metres.  It will be closed between 8.00pm and 5.30am (Mondays to Thursdays inclusive) for up to 2 nights, sometime between 5th and 26th September 2011.

3.   30mph limit on the A1000 Great North Road, Potters Bar from near School Road northwards for about 2,450 metres to just north of the former BBC Transmission Station.  Speed limit for up to 22 days, sometime between 5th and 26th September 2011.

The purpose of the Order is to enable highway safety maintenance works to take place.

Tags: