Author Topic: Snow and ice updates re roads, services, schools, fun and pics  (Read 250470 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Snow and ice updates re roads, services, schools, fun and pics
« on: January 30, 2003, 06:35:43 pm »
Could everyone please report the situations on their roads here in the forum for the benefit of anyone wanting to venture out during the snow storm.  Click here for details of what we know so far.
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 30, 2003, 06:35:52 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Astra

Re: Snow and ice updates re roads, services, schools, fun and pics
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 06:53:00 pm »
Major problems in Welwyn Garden City.

The town centre has come to a a complete halt and Mundells estate is totally gridlocked.

A colleague of mine left here 40 minutes ago and has only managed to travel 250 yeards.

Suggest that you avoid the area completely for the next couple of hours.

Astra
« Last Edit: January 30, 2003, 06:53:18 pm by Astra »

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 07:50:15 pm »
Wow, Is all I can say.......I know  traffic is gridlock coming from Hatfield, my brother has been stuck their almost an hour. The A1000 is a nightmare. I'm not sure if Brookmans Ave or GWR has been cleared. I know I saw tons of kids walking home, their coach hadn't turned up and the poor kids had been waiting over an hour and had then decided to walk home to Potters Bar. I chatted to lots of them as they walked past, asking them if I could ring parents for them etc, but have to say, they were all very sensible, they were all walking home in groups and most had phoned home.  

Must say the the village did look very pretty with a coating of snow!

On a serious note, I hope everyone gets home safely tonight, even in my 4WD it was a pretty scary journey home. And to all you people who say 4WD are necessary in a place like this........well I think we were the ones having the last laugh today!!!!

Does anyone know if this will effect schools tomorrow???
« Last Edit: January 30, 2003, 07:53:47 pm by anna »

Offline anna

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 08:05:29 pm »
Just heard the Church Road in Potters Bar is blocked as well....which is probably why the A1000 is so bad. Cars are being pushed up the Road.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 08:08:52 pm »
Well we are off to war and 2" snow cripples us :(
4WDs can still skid, best to send for Llamas ;)
The whole thing is because our so called weather centres can not give advise early enough for people to do the sensible thing and travel before it starts ( wether any one would take notice is another matter).
It is not even icy yet? so why all the road chaos?
Lets be honest it coincided with school out time.
In the good old days most kids lived within easy walking distance and snow was good fun, now its a problem, and its called progress ???
Something to be said for homeworking isn't there YNH ;D
regards,
jet
It will all blow over allways does, something to talk about ;)

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 08:10:35 pm »
More power to the 4WDs. ;)

In the 60s I can remember getting a bus as far as Potters Bar and then walking to Barnet to get school. That is real dedication ;)

Greetings from a rain soaked (more unusual than snow in BP) part of Arabia.   4WDs are good on oily flooded roads too!! ;D

All the best.

I am really jealous - love the snow.

Mary

Offline Swan

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 08:18:42 pm »
I'm snowed into work, there are people who have been sitting in their cars on Bessemer RD WGC, without moving for the past 3 hours

Several crashes on A1M

The large cross roads at Bridge street WGC is currently closed by the police

Not looking good out there
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2003, 08:44:17 pm »
This really isn't looking good, people are abandoning cars and walking back into work

Just been told a collegue made 1 mile in 3 hrs
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Offline anna

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2003, 08:56:02 pm »
Swan, I do feel for you. My husband left work at 4pm from Town, and he is still stuck in Hampstead!!  Hope you manage to get home somehow........either that......or you have some whiskey, hot food and blankets at work!!! (will you get overtime?  ;)

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2003, 09:02:13 pm »
We have 2 bottles of wine and a big box of salted variety crackers between 14... and people are still walking back into the building

I think we will be walking into town for a curry if this continues (thats if the crackers run out anyway)

No good news on the roads yet anyway
Godwin's Law:

Offline anna

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2003, 09:02:37 pm »
Just a thought......As I'm sitting here in comfort at home.....is there anything I can do to be of help to anyone. My road seems pretty quiet.......but are there any other places in need of helpers to clear roads? I'm happy to help if it's needed, but just don't fancy wondering the streets.   Maybe this would be a good time for a forum meet up? We could all meet up on the streets with our spades? :)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2003, 09:19:53 pm »
Anna,
We have just walked round the village and, although we helped push two vehicles which were spinning their wheels (one which then had to turn back), we didn't see any that needed to be dug out, although many people seem to have abandoned their cars.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Astra

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2003, 09:41:42 pm »
Well, greeetings from Welwyn Garden City.

I have just received a call from a colleague who left here at 4pm and at 7.40 had not yet reached the A1M.

At least I am inside and not stuck out in that awful weather.  Mind you, the heating has just gone off in the office.  Abondoned with hypothermia by tomorrow.

The 25 of us that are stuck here are here for a few more hours yet.  I doubt if I will see my home before midnight.

The up side of it is that I work for a food company so at least I have been fed (and very nice it was too)

From what I hear Welwyn, Hatfield, Brookmans Park and Welham Green are virtual no go areas.  Also heard that Kings Cross station has been closed but that is unverified at present.  Welwyn train station is mobbed with people who are trying to make their way home by train leaving their cars at work so not good there.

Further updates from the snow front as information becomes available.

Astra

Offline anna

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2003, 09:46:51 pm »
Astra, hope you get home ok eventually.  My husband still isn't home......he left at 4pm.........last I heard he was in Hampstead and that was 2 hours ago........!!

Hope anyone who is stuck at least is warm and fed.......I hear body heat is good, so time to snuggle up, at least it's a way to bond with other work mates!  Amazing though isn't it......one day of snow and we are grid locked!

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2003, 09:57:41 pm »
Jet says "In the good old days most kids lived within easy walking distance and snow was good "

Jet - be real  ;)- you came to live in a "country village".   In the good old days kids in the country went miles to school.  In the good days - not quite so old - Chancellor's didn't exist - we had to go to Hatfield, Barnet, Welwyn GC, or wherever.   Don't remember never getting to school because of the weather - perhaps a bit late some days - and shucks it always snowed in the Christmas Holidays - or is that rose coloured retrospection. :D

No doubt snow was good.  The walk to Barnet mentioned earlier was fun, with snowball fights etc.  ;D

As for the weather centre/ met office or whatever - I picked up severe storm warning on the web before most people were awake in the UK this morning.

Astra - hope you have a good night camped out in WGC, and that someone knows how to get the heating back on again.

Mary

Offline anna

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2003, 10:03:25 pm »
Must say........I'm not stranded anywhere, so can say we had great fun in the snow. We all got decked out in our hats, gloves and scarfs. We had some great snowball fights, and built a very nice snowman. The kids had glowing cheeks and passes by all stopped and chatted commenting on our snowman and joining in our snowball fight.

Hmm, lights have just started to flicker........does that mean we could be in for a power cut as well?

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2003, 10:07:27 pm »
Anna

Now I am really jealous.

Mary

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2003, 10:17:02 pm »
Dear Mary,
sometimes I think I am the only "real" one around here.
This is, I am informed an invented comuter village, situated next to The A1000.
It has been bought to a standstill by a combination of road works and incompetant drivers, not by the weather.
In 50 years, I have never witnessed such utter chaos.
This is a prime example of an overloaded infrastructure caused by pople who are daft enough to work miles from home and send their kids to schools out of the area.
By the way the weather was okay and then within minutes a snow storm started.
I have put some snow in the deep freezer for you.
Astra is "trapped" in a food factory, oh well thats the diet gone.
Trapped at home with Eastenders, no way its time for a good walk in it while its there.
As anna says flickering lights, posibly just caused by the illuminations in certain large houses around here, candles for sale , going expensive!
regards,
jet
and the only way of communicating is the web site, the thing that pulls us all together.
Have you noticed council tax rise and Tony sends a "snow" storm to cover it up, spin or what ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2003, 10:18:17 pm by jet »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2003, 10:26:59 pm »
How about a snow ball fight 9pm village green?

Update only I turned up so I win by default.

All roads even hills passable with care,

regards,

jet
« Last Edit: January 30, 2003, 11:44:02 pm by jet »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2003, 11:01:19 pm »
Governors have decided Chancellor's school will be closed tomorrow because of the snow.  If anyone in authority at Brookmans Park Primary knows the situation there perhaps they would care to post details here so parents know. Lochinver and St Albans boys are also closed.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2003, 11:13:32 pm by admin »

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2003, 11:54:21 pm »
Jet

If I could have, I would have mate

;D
Godwin's Law:

Offline anna

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2003, 12:03:21 am »
Can I just say a big Congrats to Dave for getting so much information up so quickly. I've been able to warn people of problems on their journey home, and told friends about which schools are closing.......Everyone is very impressed that I know so much from the website.

The website has really shown enormous value tonight!

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2003, 12:07:26 am »
as biggest crawler around I second that :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
it would be nice if someone took pity on someone in CA who is without their other half at the moment and sent round some chips and beer whatever ;)

By the way if you get stranded take the advice that an old Eskimo gave me.
If you are hungry you should know,
do not eat the yellow snow :o

Bet M M never had trouble getting to school, in them days it was all horses and carts :P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2003, 12:39:40 am by jet »

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2003, 12:09:02 am »
Yes very well done

Has anyone noticed how many guests there have been tonight

Hello guests
Godwin's Law:

Astra

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2003, 12:56:31 am »
I also have to thank everyone who has brightened up a pretty miserable evening.  

Still here in WGC at 10.45.  The roundabout seems to be clearing but waiting for a report from scout party sent out 30 minutes ago to see if worth venturing into the breach.

Well, told them I am not working tomorrow so there.

I like snow that appears on Friday night and disappears by Monday morning.  That is civilised.  The chaos out there is not civilised.

Astra

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2003, 01:04:53 am »
Just for the record I thought I'd add my experience tonight.  I was warned at 4.30 how bad the snow was here, so I left London (where there was no snow on the ground this time) and got to Potters Bar at 18:00.  I crawled up Darkes lane and by 19:30 had made it to the URC church! Thats about 500m in 1.5 hours!!!  :'( The place was grid-locked.  There was a bus stuck on the corner of Darkes Lane and Chruch Road - only 4wd cars getting past since it was virtually sheet ice - and yes JET there was ice very soon after 6pm.  Finally made it up Moffats, past all the abandoned cars, at 10 past 8 - shaken but very pleased to be home.

Now I need to know should I venture to work tomorrow or not? Since I only get paid if I turn up I guess I will be one of the ones waiting for a train tomorrow - but I'll try BP for a change - and I'll walk to the station of course. Where did I put those 1980's moon boots?
ex resident - now living in New Zealand

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2003, 01:17:18 am »
Had to have a moan sooner or later  ;D

Just (11:15pm) returned from Potters Bar, and there's STILL no sign of a gritter lorry anywhere - the A1000 was still very bad. I'd seen on the forcast that it was gonna snow a lot today - did HCC not realise? Or am I being too simplistic about the whole thing?

However, on the flip side - VERY impressed with people's driving. Haven't seen one maniac going too fast or anything - most people being incredibly careful with their speed. Maybe we could solve BP's speeding problem in one feel swoop by having a permanent snow storm blowing down Bluebridge Road!

Any Scout parents that are reading this - some schools may be shut, but scouts will still be going ahead tomorrow evening...

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2003, 01:20:56 am »
oh well no school tommorrow so I suppose that means screaming kids all day grrrrrrrrrr >:( >:( >:(
am I a selfish misery or what ;D
By the way all have a go at jet its obviously all his fault, usually is ;)
I'm off to build an ethnic snow person :) :) :)
regards and goodnight,
jet
Astra I am locking up at midnight!!
James every 4WD I saw tonight on my stroll  was as close as possible to the normal car infront, of course all driving slowly
« Last Edit: January 31, 2003, 01:26:44 am by jet »

Offline anna

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2003, 01:24:14 am »
Carolyn. My husband's story is very similar. I warned him about the snow at 3pm, but he said there was no snow in London and I think he thought I was being a bit melodramatic. But he left work at 4pm, and still isn't home......last I heard he was in Whetstone.

Astra, it will be one of those days you remember......."The great Blizzard of 2003" But there is always some good that comes out of these things.......my phone has been red hot, everyone ringing and checking up on each other, keeping each other going on journey's home. And for once the drivers with 4wd can hold their heads up high!!! :)

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2003, 01:30:11 am »
Umm.. Anna

As I look out the office windows, I can see as many 4WDs abandoned as 2WDs

In fact at one point I helped push one up on the kerb that was blocking the road

It is still bad here but its starting to flow
Godwin's Law:

Tags: