Author Topic: Snow and ice updates re roads, services, schools, fun and pics  (Read 250861 times)

Phil_Holm

Re: Snow and ice updates re roads, services, schools, fun and pics
« Reply #810 on: January 21, 2013, 12:50:03 pm »
I had just returned from Asia when I posted my comments yesterday and, on reflection, I did not present the school closure in the best possible light. I apologise for any offence I might have caused.

I was not representing the views of the school or the Headteacher, I was giving my views as a parent and villager - I should not have stated that I was the Chair of Governors.

I was aware of and agreed with the reasons why the school was to close and I thought it would be helpful to share this on the community website.

The school will be open tomorrow. I am aware that the school's site team have been working from 7 am to clear the pathways and this work has not yet been completed. The school site was unsuitable for conducting a normal school day for 1100 students safely. Additionally, there would have been travel issues for many students and parents who live in the villages surrounding Brookmans Park.

The public examinations this morning have gone ahead as planned and there will be further exams this afternoon. All students, who needed to be in school, have attended.

Work has been set for students to complete independently at home today and this has been communicated to them through the school website and text messages.

This will be my last posting on brookmans.com, as clearly my well-meaning and helpful advice to parents regarding the closure of the school has sparked a political debate, which was not my intention at all.

If you feel you could contribute to the school, and wish to be considered as a governor, please contact the school office.

Phil

Offline larrylamb

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #811 on: January 21, 2013, 01:34:00 pm »
Phil, the School performed poorly in the last OFSTED which was critical of the governing body. I have hopes that the new head will sort the problems out. But your posts here display a temperamental strop unworthy of the 13 year old you claim to be. As The Chair of Governors this is another poor example to be setting to the pupils.

Trent, parents can decide if they feel it is safe and reasonable for their children to go to school. Not knowing where you live r your children I can't make comment, but I would be a little surprised if the majority of children enjoying an unexpected day off aren't out sledging and throwing snow balls without too much concern for the cold.

sasquartch, I pretty much agree with you, except that if people don't point out this is a bad decision then it will continue to be made every time there is more than a couple of inches of snow.

Larrylamb, I never thought I'd say this, but I totally agree with your last post. Please don't make a habit of it :)
I'm sure it is just a blip John.  ;)

Offline LongTallSally

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #812 on: January 21, 2013, 03:28:36 pm »
Phil,  As the Chair of Governors at Chancellors and therefore a member of a corporate body, would you be prepared to read your post out at the next Governors meeting for their approval or ratification because I find your comment that the views of local residents and, presumably, parents of Chancellors students are bigoted and ignorant to be particularly insulting and your latest post offensive.  If I was a governor at Chancellors you certainly wouldn't be speaking on behalf of me.

Well said, peppermint! I totally agree.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #813 on: January 21, 2013, 04:16:07 pm »
I think that Phil Holm seems to have taken a lot of flak regarding the school's closure today.

Let's not forget that Phil and other governors have worked extremely hard for the good of the school and it's pupils over recent years and since the appointment of Mr Croston I have seen (my perception as a parent of three pupils) a huge improvement and am confident that the next Ofsted results will be much improved.

The governors do a largely thankless task and whilst I am not saying that I necessarily agree with everything regarding today's closure I'd like to think that lessons can be learned and perhaps next winter we'll be better prepared for snow.

John_fraser

« Reply #814 on: January 21, 2013, 05:56:20 pm »
Phil,

Your first post on this thread here was to accuse me and others of making "bigoted, ignorant comments." You have apologised, but your claim that you gave "well-meaning and helpful advice" somewhat undermines the sincerity of your apology. There was no 'political' debate and what debate there was was not  'sparked' by your post. The school was criticised for closing too easily. You have attempted and IMHO failed to justify this decision. Why is the school open tomorrow when it was not today? Is Pine Grove now gritted? Have the bus companies guaranteed to run the service? Other than the clearing of the paths, which was never mentioned in your posts, what changed?

Sasquartch,

I also have hopes Mr Croston will improve things and I agree he seems to be heading in the right direction. One bad decision doesn't change that. But let's put aside the rose tinted glasses. According to the last OFSTED report "The effectiveness of the governing body in challenging and supporting the school so that weakness are tackled decisively and statutory responsibilities met" was rated '4'. Where 4 is 'inadequate' and the lowest possible grade. That was two years ago and many governors do work very hard for little or no thanks, but if The Chair of Governors is going to behave like this when the school is criticised I'm not sure lessons will be learned.

Offline Greybeard

• Forum Member
« Reply #815 on: January 24, 2013, 08:00:57 am »
Yes, as well as closing schools they suspended refuse collections. "A partial refuse collection service will take place today after a two day suspension of services due to heavy snow fall and ice", reported the WHT yesterday.

http://tinyurl.com/ayz5t48

Happily, our recycling's just been collected.

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #816 on: January 24, 2013, 10:25:16 pm »
 ;D

so has ours - great service as far as I'm concerned!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #817 on: January 25, 2013, 07:00:03 am »
Yes, our recycling was all collected on time yesterday, too. Great effort considering the service disruption caused by the weather. Well done the refuse collection team. FYI, WHC has a page with updates service disruptions.

http://www.welhat.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4696
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #818 on: January 25, 2013, 10:44:22 am »
Yes, our recycling was all collected on time yesterday, too. Great effort considering the service disruption caused by the weather. Well done the refuse collection team. FYI, WHC has a page with updates service disruptions.

Hear, hear  :)

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #819 on: January 25, 2013, 05:49:28 pm »
Peplins Way recycling NOT collected.

And looks like it wont be for 2 weeks.

Not impressed.

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #820 on: January 25, 2013, 06:34:58 pm »
Peplins Way recycling NOT collected.

And looks like it wont be for 2 weeks.

Not impressed.
If the authorities worked together and all roads were gritted -

1) Rubbish and recycling would be collected.

2) schools would remain open.

3) There would be no frost damage to roads so this would vastly cut down on potholes forming.

4) commercial activities continue thereby wealth is created to enable taxes to be paid.

surely gritting all the roads in the first instant is more cost effective and less inconvenient to the tax payer?

Offline Aloo

« Reply #821 on: January 28, 2013, 05:19:08 pm »
I've just called the Council who say they won't be collecting the recycling until the next scheduled collection - which is in Februry.  MEANWHILE with the wind and rain toppling the bins, plastic and sodden cardboard is being spread around Peplins Way.   Please can you spread the word to neighbours to bring their bins back in, because no one is going to collect the recycling until February - and even then I doubt the council will do anything about any of the rubbish currently blowing in the wind.

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #822 on: January 28, 2013, 06:20:15 pm »
I've just called the Council who say they won't be collecting the recycling until the next scheduled collection - which is in Februry.  MEANWHILE with the wind and rain toppling the bins, plastic and sodden cardboard is being spread around Peplins Way.   Please can you spread the word to neighbours to bring their bins back in, because no one is going to collect the recycling until February - and even then I doubt the council will do anything about any of the rubbish currently blowing in the wind.
Yes but Moffats was serviced so the council must be praised.

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #823 on: January 28, 2013, 09:05:27 pm »
Surely the good residents of Peplins Way will collect any rubbish/cardboard blowing around Peplins Way.

:icon_jokercolor:

Offline tombakhurst

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #824 on: March 23, 2013, 10:41:52 pm »
May be a cool idea to have cams all year round in Village, perhaps (if possible) some in Gobions focusing on wildlife such as the pond and bird nesting areas? May not be practical but would be fun to see the season change in the woods and the wildlife that varies with this.

Tom  :)

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #825 on: March 24, 2013, 10:38:55 am »
I'd like to see a flycam - to catch the flytippers down Bradmore Lane.

Some sort of hidden solar powered camera perhaps ?

Would pay for itself with just one hefty fine from someone caught in the act.

Can't see the council doing anything as imaginative as this though

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #826 on: March 24, 2013, 01:04:37 pm »
Brilliant idea, sasquartch.

Tags: