Author Topic: Snow and ice updates re roads, services, schools, fun and pics  (Read 238360 times)

rognjac

Re: Snow and ice updates re roads, services, schools, fun and pics
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2003, 10:56:17 am »
I read lots of criticisms of the various highway authorities "failing to cope" with last week's snowfall, so I felt I needed to put in my tuppence worth (that dates me for a start).

Personally I noted gritters out pre-salting early in the day on Thursday. However, the roads in the south-east are normally running at such near maximum capacity level, that it only takes something out of the ordinary, such as some large snowflakes,  for the average driver, not used to driving in snow, to dramatically reduce speed, with the consequence that gridlock soon occurs, and the gritters are unable to continue with their work.

Salt needs to be worked into the snow by the passage of traffic for it to work, so stationary traffic will not effect this, despite the pre-salting.

People also say that other countries carry on during heavy snow. Well, other countries, such on mainland Europe have "climate", with regular deposits of heavy snow. Here we have "weather", much more unpredictable. Cash strapped highway authorities here
are going to be much more reluctant to invest in equipment to deal with a one in fifteen year occurence. In the same way, what English driver has a set of winter or studded tyres stored away for snow conditions? This is common practice in, say, Germany, where, incidentally, snow clearance takes place on the autobahns - the other roads tend to be left uncleared much longer than we would tolerate - but the average driver is both equipped for, and used to, heavy snow.

So the picture is not quite as some would have it - yet another example of the blame culture springing into action at the drop of a hat (or snowflake?).

Roger

John_fraser

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2003, 03:44:15 pm »
Iím ... sorry that Iíve missed the fun and hopping it will last until I get home.

Watch out what you wish for...

I fly out tonight, there's 6" of snow comming down and the planes are starting to back up. I may get all the fun in the snow I wished for :'(

Offline Margaret

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2003, 03:14:04 pm »
Somewhat surprised at Anna's remark about "times have changed lets stop living in the past. I wasn't aware that we were. Just think it's a pity that sometimes things change for the worse and nobody seems to have the sense to change back because "times have changed". Or the "old" adage if it ain't broke don't fix it. I always thought the joy of living in a village was that you "lived" there not just slept there. Spending time in a car for large chunks of the day is not living. Walk and commune with nature and your neighbours.

Offline anna

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2003, 03:54:15 pm »
Margaret, I am saying that sadly some things do have to change!!! When I was young I walked home from primary school, by myself from age 8. There is no way on earth I'd let my kids do that.  I have to get my kids to three different places in the morning, there is no way I could walk to them all, as they are all in different directions.  Some of us have no choice, we have to use the car.  If my children were at secondary school, (presuming they got into a local one!!!) I would of course let them walk.  

When I was younger, I used to go home, make myself a snack and keep myself amused till my elder brothers got home.......that now is against the law to be home alone at that age.........so things change, whether we like it or not. Perhaps if schools ran from age 3 - 18 and we had school buses.......then we would all be able to spend a little less time in the car.

At the moment, I never have more that 2 hours at home because of nursery pick ups at 11.30, and 12 and then school at 3.15, not to mention after school activities.......

I agree Margaret its a shame, but a lot has changed. I didn't say its all good, there are some things we can fight and others we have to accept, or do something about it......like I have. I'm making a major move to Spain because I want more quality time with my family....My kids will all be in one place, they don't have silly lunch time pick ups.......they let the young kids have a nap and play at school and then you can pick them up at the same time as the older ones.  I'll be able to spend a lot more time enjoying nature and the sunshine, longs walks along the beach, daily dips in the pool with the kids.....etc :)

Offline Margaret

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2003, 10:15:26 am »
Anna, I too have three children with eight years between the youngest and oldest so I too had my children at three different schools, and it is obvious that you cannot walk all three at the same time but you don't have to drive them all. I hope you find what you are looking for in Spain and I wish you and your family the best of luck and happiness.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2004, 07:57:25 pm »
Driving home could be slow tonight.

Several people abandoned their cars as heavy snow brought traffic to a standstill in places.

This at the corner of Moffats and Bluebridge Road in Brookmans Park at 5.15pm.

Next year's Christmas card for Neville. †:)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 08:23:37 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2004, 08:10:07 pm »
Fantastic shot - thanks! (i am still here pondering about my journey)

Offline anna

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2004, 08:33:33 pm »
What a terrible shame I'm missing it all............poor me has to make do with 70 degrees and heated swimming pools...... what a hard life.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2004, 09:02:58 pm »
Au contraire Anna,
It is in fact delightfull, most stimulating and exilarating.
The white background punctuated by the dark forms of 4WDs "pushing" lesser cars to go faster.
Who wants to languish in a tepid pool followed by a log fire when one can experience the winter wonderland of Brooky. :)
Now how can I get snowed into the BPH ;)
regards,
jet

John_fraser

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2004, 09:16:41 pm »
Just been out throwing snowballs at my kids. I'm glad I didn't miss all the fun this time.

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2004, 09:30:10 pm »
Driving down Swanland Road heading home from work in Welham Green at about 5.00pm I saw a gritter lorry with snow plough attached - yippeeee :D. ----  Sadly it was going north towards Dixons Hill Road - and I was heading south towards Bignalls Corner :(

Driving conditions were horrrrrrid. Blizard like and almost total white out. Took 45 mins in slow single file traffic to get down the A1 to Apex corner, and 2 hours 10 mins to get home to Harrow >:(.   Better than the 6 and half hours it took me on that memorable night about a year ago though ??????

Keep warm and cozy everyone!!!!

supersonic

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2004, 11:30:17 pm »
Tee hee, I read on the BBC news that WAGN trains are suffering delays and cancellations - so what's new?

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Largey

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2004, 11:44:38 pm »
Hats of to Hats....

I think the gritting lorries worked very hard and did an excellent job today ..... Well done to them.. :D

AgentOrange

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2004, 11:53:18 pm »
I think we will only see the quality of the job done by the gritters in the morning after tonights hard frost!

Offline trinity

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2004, 02:11:10 am »
Just been out throwing snowballs at my kids. I'm glad I didn't miss all the fun this time.

I went out with the eldest after dinner. We went along the railway path and he threw snowballs at me all the way. Going home I did roll him down the slope by the steps down to the car park - which was very popular.

Offline trinity

« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2004, 02:15:10 am »

Driving conditions were horrrrrrid. Blizard like and almost total white out.

I'm (temporarily) working in Richmond, and left at 1600 because the wife and I were supposed to be going to Southgate. Everything seemed "normal" whent he District line train went subsurface. But when I emerged at Finsbury Park it was windy, snowy with a 1" covering.

Fortunately, WAGN managed to get me back to BP only about 10 minutes late.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2004, 09:00:57 am »
Brookmans Park Primary is closed today because of snow according to headteacher Lesley Stevens who phoned this site to ask for the information to be passed on.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 09:06:49 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline NZer

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2004, 09:39:52 am »
Is the picture on the article about the snow taken looking along Moffats Lane at the top?  When the curser goes across the picture, it says Brookmans Ave, but I can't place the view there.
I shouldn't tell you - but - its a very warm fine day here in NZ !! :)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2004, 09:45:50 am »
Oops, sorry, wrong ALT tag. It's been changed. (that picture is from last year) fresh ones to be added later.
:)

Offline NZer

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2004, 09:51:30 am »
Its great to see the pictures - it was a real thrill to look at them last year and see my parents house in the snow!  It makes England seem just that much closer to NZ - the internet really is great!
Thanks

me

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2004, 10:19:26 am »
Does anyone know anything about Chancellors School yet? ???

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2004, 10:23:26 am »
Our children have gone to Chancellor's Schoo today in a grump because they were looking forward to a 'snow day' off.

I phoned the school at 7am and spoke to the caretaker who said that the school would be open if he could make it in.

The only school to contact this site to confirm they are closed is Brookmans Park Primary. Headteacher Lesley Stevens called at 7am to ask for the details to be made public. The reason is that not all staff members are able to reach school.

We are only posting about school closures when they are confirmed by the schools themselves.

Calls are in to Lochinver and Chancellor's.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 10:31:23 am by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2004, 10:32:29 am »
My son has just phoned from Chancellor's School to say that he and his friends have been told they can go home because of the snow if they can contact a parent to confirm this is ok.

I am still trying to find confirmation of this from the school, so this is not official yet.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 10:33:28 am by admin »

Offline Pete

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2004, 10:47:05 am »
According to three counties radio website, all Herts Schools are being advised to close on the advice of the Chief Constable.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2004, 10:55:13 am »
Note to all parents

Could all parents with children at local schools please encourage those schools to select someone with the responsibility to post to this site's forum in the event of school closures.

It would need to be someone in an official position who could give reliable information for the benefit of all parents using this site.

This site will give each school a log on name and a password known only to that person.

Thanks

David Brewer

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2004, 10:57:19 am »
According to three counties radio website, all Herts Schools are being advised to close on the advice of the Chief Constable.

Thanks Pete,

Here is the latest list of school closures from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/emergency/snow_hertfordshire.shtml

Clearly that list is incomplete because it doesn't include Brookmans Park Primary, which we know is closed.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 10:59:48 am by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2004, 11:01:47 am »
Chancellor's School has just confirmed that the school is closed today. The office staff say it was open, but is now closed.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2004, 12:08:42 pm »
How this country ever won two World Wars is a mystery?
We have instant communications, three days notice, and still no one knows what is happening.
What a let down for the parents who put in the effort to ensure their children got to school only to have to collect them.
I wonder if there will be fines and appeals for non attendance.
In the 50s we just put our wellies on and got on with it, surely with all these 4Wds there is no travel problem?
regards,
jet

Offline Largey

« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2004, 12:31:38 pm »
Thanks for being there Dave,
You have saved a lot of people the trouble of trying to get to school this morning.
During this year, BP School will have its own notification service for events like this but in the meantime its nice to have you around to help.

Once again thanks for being there for all of us,

Paul

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2004, 12:36:06 pm »
A pleasure Paul.

All we really need is a thread in the forum and every school to register and post to it when there are problems.

That way the information is published immediately by those in authority to deliver it. That would be especially useful if I am away and unable to update.

I think it is up to the parents to encourage their schools to do this. We need official confirmation at times like these.

Interesting to note that at one point this morning there were 54 guests and seven users on the site -- I presume they were all looking for information about school closures.

If the schools posted to the forum I am sure word would get around quickly.

I've just taken 30 pictures which I will put up in a photo gallery as soon as I can.

Cheers

Dave

Tags: