Author Topic: Snow and ice updates re roads, services, schools, fun and pics  (Read 250430 times)

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
Re: Snow and ice updates re roads, services, schools, fun and pics
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2003, 01:35:26 am »
ahh Swan my glory was short lived then! :)  

Poor you......I'm still chatting to loads of my friends trying to get home, and my husband of course.......its madness.

Offline Swan

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2003, 01:44:39 am »
Well I've decided to venture out and make an escape bid, don't want to get snowed in for the weekend,

Hope everyones, everyone gets home safe
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Offline anna

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2003, 01:51:15 am »
I'm signing off now everyone. Hope every one gets home ok.  I think we should all meet up tomorrow for a massive snow ball fight.........I'd suggest walking to the village though!

Astra

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2003, 01:59:03 am »
Midnight, still in WGC.

Have decided to wait with some other colleagues and brave it in about an hour when hopefully most of the traffic will have cleared.

They have turned the heating on but we are getting a bit worried about the last one of our drivers who has been on the road since this morning and is usually back by 4pm.  Apparently he is stuck on the M10.  Oh well.

Time for another cuppa.

Astra

Offline anna

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2003, 03:28:37 pm »
where can I buy a sledge?? kids are nagging.

Astra

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2003, 03:50:56 pm »
Good Morning world - sorry, good afternoon.

Finally made it home after 3am this morning.

As I am not long out of my warm bed, I will not bore you with tales of last night (unless you really want me to). I have already typed out a long post on the subject only to have the cat walk across the keyboard and stand on the escape key so I lost the lot.

Suffice it to say that the majority of the problems yesterday were caused by human stupidity. If everyone had just not panicked when they saw the snow and left in a steady stream instead of all trying to beat the weather and getting nowhere maybe there would not have been so many gridlocked areas. The roads would have been hard pressed to cope with that volume of traffic on a normal day let alone in bad weather. I was quite prepared to wait until I could get myself home safely without having to stop. I did not relish the idea of damaging my car or sliding and hitting someone else apart from the damage I could have done to the engine etc sitting for hours with the engine running going nowhere. I still cannot believe that there was stationary traffic in the A414 heading for Tescos when I went passed at 2.50am

And by the way, all you wallies who were sat in your cars for hours complaining about the gritting lorries, how do the gritters get to the roads they are going to grit???? By road - roads that were full up with you all complaining about them not doing their job. If you all hadn't rushed off blindly causing traffic holdups maybe the gritters could have got through.

I hope all of you who were stuck in that mess made it home safe and sound as I did (albeit a wee bit later than originally expected).

Lets hope this is a one off. As I said before, I like snow that arrives on Friday night and is gone by Monday morning. Now that is civilised.

Thank you all for your company last night. It was a boost to know that you were all out there rooting for us. Thanks once again.

Astra
« Last Edit: January 31, 2003, 03:52:36 pm by Astra »

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2003, 04:16:16 pm »
where can I buy a sledge?? kids are nagging.

Have you tried Bryan? I know he sells them, not sure if he'll have any left though...

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline anna

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2003, 04:41:23 pm »
thanks James, I did try but he was closed.

John_fraser

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2003, 04:55:26 pm »
Right now Im stuck in a Manhattan skyscraper, sorry that Ive missed the fun and hopping it will last until I get home. I dont mean to belittle the journeys home, but Id love to be having snowball fights and sleigh rides with my kids over in Gobins.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2003, 06:04:32 pm »
Er.. John if it lasts until you try to get home, chances are the airport will be closed so you won't able to!  ;D

Offline Aloo

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2003, 07:31:02 pm »
With the exception of the village, the main roads going west from BP to Hemel were clear up to an hour ago, (Welham Green, Colney Heath. A414, M10 -  The M1 going north from jnt 8 looked bad though.)

A far cry from last night; my usual 30 minute drive from Hemel took three hours - still the opportunity to have snowball fights and sleigh rides this morning in Gobions made up for it all.   For a while it was very peaceful with no speeding cars, just people walking and enjoying the snow.

Time to leave work now, hope the roads are still clear!!

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2003, 09:36:41 pm »
Dear all,
well it seems that all is now okay, but we fortunate that no one died in their cars from exposure.
My post yesterday seemed harsh but now it is all coming out.
The councils are cost cutting due to the financial restrictions imposed by central government and of course central government now blames the councils and threaten draconian laws regarding gritting etc.
On a lighter note, JF is perusing the Manhatten skyline, we will see him posing in a balloon next :) :) :)
Sledges, well an old tea tray or peice of wood, skips full of em around here ;) ;)
Lets hope the snow is just fun from now on and no tragedies ocour,
regards,
jet

At the risk of sounding a complete toady, the eds articles and photos are a real treasure for the future, great to see it captured for posterity.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2003, 10:29:25 pm by jet »

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2003, 09:44:13 pm »
Anna I have found out that the Recycling boxes and the lids make great sleighs.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2003, 11:30:10 pm »
Dear all,
regular readers will know that the writer is rarely opinionated, however having just returned from my stroll I would say that the conditions under foot and tyre are worse than yesterday. :o
Do not be fooled in the morning, be very carefull.
regards,
jet
by the way did anyone know that "captain" darling was in charge of transport before yesterday, heads will roll but it won't be his, as he is only responsible. >:(

Offline Margaret

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2003, 01:29:38 am »
Glad to hear that you all eventually got home all right. My husband had to pick his car up from a garage in Finchley at five o'clock and got home at ten. My neighbours daughter took eight hours to get home from Welwyn Garden City. Just for a change my eldest daughter was only 1 1/2 hours late coming home by train but decided not to go to work today. My son camped out at a friends in Hatfield as I refused to leave the house! My other daughter is stranded in Norfolk, don't know when we will see her again! :-[ :-[ :-[. Went for a lovely walk with the camera this morning over Gobions, it was really lovely, and it was great seeing all the children playing in the snow. Reminded me of my youth. As to the remarks made about Jet not having to go far to school as he lived in town, I to am a towny and lived on a main road on a bus route but I always walked the half hour to school no matter what the weather and was never ever taken by car or bus, I also walked home at lunch time had dinner then walked back again. Then when I had walked home after school I took the dog to the park which was (you guessed it) next to my school!
Ah the joys of childhood. As lovely as the snow is I shall be quite glad if it has gone tomorrow, but then it will probably start raining again.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2003, 02:10:41 am »
Dear Margaret,
Not that it matters but I had a 45 min walk to school.
Anyone who came by car was a wuss and there was only one of them.
1 lad came by horse and tied it to the railings, this is true!!! it is in FR but I am not revealing any more.
Those were the days, cold wet and 'orrible never to be repeated, but it made us what we are today, arthritic and bronichal.
regards,
jet

Offline anna

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2003, 05:02:30 am »
Sorry, but just had to add something here.......The schools were not closed because of children walking to school, it was because of lack of staff being able to make it in! I too walked to school when I was younger......but come on, lets stop living in the past, times have changed. My parents lived on rations when they were young, but I wouldn't fancy going back to that either....Some things get better, some get worse.....but either way, things change and will continue to do so.

Back to the snow chaos.......my husband finally got in at 2am after being on the road 9 hours!!! Thank god that most people got home okay in the end, and were able to enjoy the snow today, as it's the weekend, I'm rather hoping it will last another day or so.....going round to see the in-laws tomorrow, and quite fancy a snow ball fight with them ;)

Still something has to be learnt from all this. Why was the country thrown into chaos from one day's snow. Why weren't the gritter trucks and snow ploughs out much earlier. Why weren't police out helping with traffic problems. Why were kids left at schools wondering where their buses and coaches were? I'm amazed at how many cars were left abandoned in the street, no lights, no Triangle......Today most of the tube lines are still not working, trains are running slow. We have a weather centre, why can't they predict this and act before the chaos sets in.

We never learn in this country, any extreme and we go to pot. Its snow, other countries seem to cope, so why can't we? I remember the weather report last weekend saying the weather would turn on Wednesday........

Anyway moan over........the pictures on the site look great Dave, very beautiful.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2003, 03:00:54 pm by anna »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2003, 01:30:04 pm »
Well its all to do with common sense enit, even the few teachers who had cars in my school days lived quite locally.
Snow, everyone just got on with it and I do not remember such chaos as happened this week, it is all political and we suffer as pawns.
If people worked and lived in reasonable proximity it would help, is there any real reason why in particular computer based staff cannot work from home, lots of companies do it.
In the 22 years i have worked from home, even visiting clients etc I have saved over 100K miles travelling. Thats a whole cars worth or perhaps 30K which I have spent enhancing my lifestyle. Now thats real recycling before it happens.
With web cams and drawing/document transfer even meetings and surveys should become things of the past, the technology is here but people prefer long pointless hours pretending to be busy.
Whats it all got to do with snow, think about it! without all the aggro of the last few days perhaps we could have spent that time having fun and realising the leisure age we were promised in the 60s.
regards,
jet
progress/snowgress,
oops halo slipped ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2003, 01:30:49 pm by jet »

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2003, 02:41:44 pm »
Well its all to do with common sense enit, even the few teachers who had cars in my school days lived quite locally.

... but then I guess they could afford to buy houses locally, which is a bit more difficult if you're a teacher at Brookmans Park Junior School!

James

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2003, 09:44:37 pm »
Please note that at the moment the pavements are at their slipperiest and that there is a lot of black ice on B. ave. and Moffats, it cannot be seen :o
regards,
jet

Astra

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2003, 07:09:02 pm »
I would like to contact the driver of 'W' reg CRV who gave mother and baby a lift on Thursday to Potters Bar in order to say thanks.  If anyone knows this person or if you are a user on this site, please contact me.

Thanks

Astra

Offline Aloo

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2003, 02:36:52 pm »
Lots of snow flakes in Hemel but only just started to settle.    What are things like in BP?  Has anyone seen a gritter?  

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2003, 02:46:26 pm »
Sigh.... Its settling in WGC
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2003, 03:09:51 pm »
I (and I'm sure others) would really appreciate it if people living locally could keep us up to date with conditions near the village - we haven't had a flake land here (near Victoria station) yet, but would like to know if I need to be hurrying home from work or not!

James

Offline anna

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2003, 03:13:46 pm »
I was just looking out the window trying to decide whether I should ring my husband who works in london and tell him to go home.

Snow is falling here in BP but doesn't seem to be settling yet.  

Offline Aloo

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2003, 03:21:31 pm »
Sun is out , blue sky, snow has melted in industrial  Hemel.   Panic over.    Famous last words....

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2003, 04:06:32 pm »
Blue sky and no snow in London W2 ! (14:00)

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2003, 04:12:24 pm »
No blue skies, but the little bit of snow that settled appears to have melted away in WGC

Still grey and heavy clouds, but no more snow falling at the moment
Godwin's Law:

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2003, 04:56:35 pm »
At the risk of sounding ott, there were severe winds and a blizzard at 2K ft over Essex at oneish when some idjit decided to have his bi annuall flight test, and is still shaking............
regards,
jet

Offline Reginald

• Gunners fan
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2003, 06:17:42 pm »
Snowed, settled , now melted in Ware. Just as well, 5h 35m journey homelast Thursday!!!

Tags: