Author Topic: Computer problems  (Read 11511 times)

Offline barnabus

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Computer problems
« on: January 18, 2007, 07:24:54 pm »
Dear All

Our simple computer system consists of two computers linked by a cable to piggy back the broadband connection and it all works fine. However it is getting very slow (it didnt used to be). In truth we probabaly need to replace it.

However as XP (on which it is running) is reaching the end of its life and Vista will need some time to settle down I am reluctant to replace it for about a year.

Today I popped into a computer shop and they say they could make it go faster by cleaning up the hard drive and registry (I dont really know what they would do) and this would cost about 60.

My concern is about whether I would lose the connection with my other computer when it came back or other vital software settings and whether this course of action is wise.

Our computer needs amounts to a bit of word processing and internet surfing - we don't normally engage in gaming or other things which involve lots of memory except we have quite few photos (that software certainly slows it down).

I should add the computer is a pentium 4 / 200GHz with 256 of RAM (I would be happy to increase the Ram if this was felt worthwhile). I regularly do a disk clean up and run Ad Aware Personal to remove spyware and spybot and occasionally do a disk  defrag. If there was a piece of inexpensive software that I could use (and was idiot proof so I did not completely muck it up) rather than take it to an expert I would be interested to hear. 

The computer shop I went to was some distance from home and I wondered if there was somewhere more local that might be able to help.

Any thoughts or advice from people who know more than me would be most welcome.

Yours

Barnabus 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 07:42:19 pm by barnabus »

John_fraser

Re: Computer problems
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 10:42:29 pm »
Is it the PC as a whole that's getting slow or just the internet connection? Any new programmes installed?

256mb of ram seems a little light. I'd normally recommend starting at 512mb and 1gig for a power user.

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 09:01:50 pm »
Thanks John

I am going to upgrade to 512MB of Ram - but then there is the size of the hard drive (which I dont think I should do anything about) and getting the registry cleaned up. I am nervous about this as I have completely messed up computers in the past by doing things to the registry. Is there a safe cheap bit of software to help?

Barnabus

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 10:00:48 am »
If you are going to increase the size of RAM I recommend going for 1 gig.  I had mine increased from 256 to 512 and it still is not as fast I as I expected.  Maybe I need to do a defrag etc?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 10:50:29 am »
Adding more memory will not necessarily help, indeed it will make no difference to upgrade to 1GB if at 512MB there is plenty of spare memory available to Windows.

It is important to determine why the computer is running slowly, it may be caused by slow disk access, high network activity or some undesired program consuming resources.

It is all too common for a computer to be upgraded when the actual cause of slow running is a trojan or some other bit of rogue software running in the background, or even some bit of bona fide software playing up, I've often seen security software causing problems.

First step is to look at Windows Task Manager to see what's running before blindly spending money on upgrades. Also look at basic things like whether the hard drive is almost full or needs defragging.

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 09:54:13 pm »
Thanks

I checked it through and found the hard disc is 55.8Gb of which 26.9GB has been used.

Also looked at the task manager and nothing untoward appears to be runnning.

Defrag and spyware check was also done recently along with a disc clean up.

Any other ideas would be most welcome. It will be interseting to see what difference the extra memory makes when it arrives

Barnabus

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 06:23:51 pm »
Thanks you to all for your advice.

I put in another 256Mb of ram - so now up to 512MB -  and increased the virtual memory as a result. This has significantly increased the speed.

RAM bought from ebay - about 25.00.

KR

Barnabus

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 06:10:43 pm »
I have today upgraded my Virus software and it has detected a computer on my network (I only have one computer connected to the internet) called Thomson with an IP address of 192.168.1.253.  This I have located to California but can anyone tell me what it is?

Any information welcomed.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline shevans

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 07:49:54 pm »
An IP address of 192.168.x.x is not an Internet machine, it is located on your local network.

What is the (network) name of your PC? and how do you connect to the Internet?

John_fraser

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 07:55:28 pm »
The 192.168 is a private address which is only visible on your home network.  Your router, which connects to the internet, will have a public IP address. If you want to see what that is go to http://www.ip-adress.com/

The location it gives for your IP address probably won't be your home. Most likely It will be the address of ISP who allocated the IP to you.

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 08:42:58 am »
An IP address of 192.168.x.x is not an Internet machine, it is located on your local network.

What is the (network) name of your PC? and how do you connect to the Internet?

I don't realy have a network.  I have one PC connected to the internet via a home hub router.  The network map shows the name of the PC which is Study (cos it's in the study) then the router then the internet and Thomson sort of comes off the line between the Study and the router.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 09:31:52 am »
Sounds like the address 192.168.1.253 is the IP address of your router.

(The router will have two addresses, one local on the LAN ie PC side, and the other on the WAN side ie the internet)

Sounds like your security software has detected this - although should not be any cause for concern. Your 'network' is in reality just two devices, the router and the computer itself.

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 10:53:59 am »
Thanks all, no need to panic then I guess.

Offline rainbow

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 12:18:51 pm »
 :icon_scratch:my computer crashed for some reason, we managed to re-boot it but all my photo's have gone.
can anyone tell me if they can be retrieved or are they gone forever? :-[

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 12:24:08 pm »
Without looking at it it's difficult to tell, especially from such a vague desciption....however most files can usually be recovered with a little know how.

If you're stuck I can help for a reasonable rate.

Offline rainbow

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 12:30:25 pm »
thanks but i live up in north wales, cant afford to pay your petrol money, the saying always back it up on disc comes to mind but i never learn

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 11:15:33 pm »
It may be possible to access remotely - if you have broadband and can find your IP address there's always the chance I can help.

XP Home can use remote assistance, XP Pro is even better with remote desktop.

Let me know if you need any help, it might be a simple fix.

Offline Ann

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 10:59:51 am »
I have a memory stick which was the advice given to me by my friend who is a computer expert.
It is a comfort  because you never know if your computer will brake down, get infected by a virus, or stolen. With the memory stick you have back up and also information can be transfered to another computer.
Actually I could do with one transplanted into my brain!

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 11:26:20 am »
A memory stick is OK for small quantities of data but if you have a large music / photo / video collection it probably won't be big enough.

I would advise peiple to periodically write all their data to a CD or DVD and store this somewhere away from the computer, preferably in another building, so even if your house was burgled or burnt down you would still be able to recover your data. For example my brother stores his backup disks at my parents house.

Online solutions are beginning to become available if you have a decent broadband connection, as an example BT Total Broadband is advertised as having such a feature and it's also possible to use things like Google Mail to store your data.

But the advice is, whatever method you use, BACKUP !!!

Offline Dilbert

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 11:00:45 pm »
Sadly, our PC, after booting up, wouldn't open any applications this evening. I tried to reboot it but it froze during the shut down process and I had to power off. I have tried to re boot it now but it gets round to the 'start in safe mode' or 'start as normal' screen and no matter the option you choose it just goes round in a loop which you can't seem to break out of.

It clearly needs some TLC - anyone recommend a local PC doctor who can have a look at the problem ? If so please contact me by sending a personal message via this site.

Thank you

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 05:17:12 pm »
Hi - Did you get your PC fixed ?

If not I may be able to assist, please let me know via a PM if you still need any help giving full details of the problem and whether desktop or laptop etc etc

cheers, Paul

Tags: