Author Topic: Modem problems  (Read 6541 times)

Offline Neville Hobbs

• Opinions on many things
Modem problems
« on: January 20, 2003, 07:28:21 pm »
For some strange reason, my modem goes to sleep right in the middle of a connection. I had heard that the problem has occured elsewhere in Brookmans Park and that a filter of some description solved the problem. Any ideas?  

Offline Neville Hobbs

Re: Modem problems
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2003, 08:01:48 pm »
This site is fantastic. At 5.45 a local resident and forum user was in my office with a filter for me to try out in the morning!!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2003, 08:04:14 pm by admin »

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 10:59:43 pm »
Up here at the east end of the village we used to get an incredible amount of radio interference from the masts at the top of the hill, sometimes you couldn't hear someone on the telephone. I understand it was even worse for the residents in Upland Drive (they even get radio from their kettles). Then we got a filter (from a kindly BT installer at work) and have never suffered since.

We still only manage 46k max connection speed but it's a lot faster than it was.

ATG

ps I know it's obvious but have you checked your connection settings to check that it does not automatically cut you off after (say) 10 minutes. Also, in Outlook Express there is a possibility that it might be set to automatically disconnect after a send/receive.
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 02:57:04 pm »
We use the internet via Freeserve at home and it is rare to stay connected for more than about 20 minutes.  I assumed this was because we do not subscribe to any of the enhanced services and we just get chucked off after a while.  I don't use it much at home but the kids get really hacked off with it.  The only time I have stayed connected for longer was recently when I was trying to build a website on the Freeserve website builder.  This time I was connected for 1.5 hours.  Having said that could our problem be sorted with a filter.  What is it and how much etc. and is it a complicated operation to install one.

Regards

M (ludite!)
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2003, 04:24:39 pm »
Is your phone line clear and loud for ordinary voice calls ?

I used to continually experience dropped connections and also the line was crackly on voice.

I explained this to BT and the circuit was changed to another 'pair' - this solved the problem. I generally connect at 45k which is pretty good (you NEVER get 56k in practice) and don't get any connections dropped. I use Freeserve and Freenetname.

So it might be worth calling BT, although I'm pretty sure they don't offer any guarantees that a voice line will work with a modem. Maybe I was lucky and got an exceptionally helpful engineer, although I've always find BT great for customer service.

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2003, 04:43:14 pm »
What a great response and a big thank you to all of you.
A little more detail of what happens:

I logged onto the web site as usual. Whilst the pages are being downloaded the 2 little TV screens on the toolbar  at the bottom of the screen ( windows 98 ) flash and stay green as information is being transmitted/received. When the page has been downloaded the little screen icon changes to a dark green.
When I  click onto another  topic, if all is well the process repeats until….Aaaarrrrrrggghhh!
You click and nothing happens - no little green flashing TV screens and no information passing in or out of my PC. Then, approx. 30 secs and many frustrated mouse clicks later, the TV screens flash and a page appears - OR the connection is timed out!
Voice connections on this line are fine.
The connection doesnt cut off from the bt server - it just goes to sleep!
Any more ideas?  The filter I was given sadly doesnt make any difference.
From yours (very frustrated),

« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 04:53:12 pm by admin »

John_fraser

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2003, 09:48:36 pm »
Does the PC request information? If so the left hand PC should light up. Also what message are you getting when it times out?

I had a similar set of issues before changing to ADSL. In fact I put off getting ADSL because I feared the line quality would be too poor. As close as I could tell most of the time it was the ISP not responding, but a significant minority of the time it was the line quality, which was audibly poor. When this happened I dialled 150 to report the problem with the line. This takes you through an automated process and half way through the line would suddenly clear up, the test would report “no issue” and the line would remain a good quality for several days. This happened at least 5 times, with the same pattern repeated each time.

Since getting ADSL I have lost the connection only once and then briefly. During this time I’ve made extensive use of the connection, including staying on line for 36 hours while downloading 5 CD images (excess of 3 gigs) with no issues.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2003, 11:25:30 am »
One thing you could try is to use another ISP.

You should be able to sign up for another ISP on a pay-as-you-go basis. That should determine whether its your ISP or your line. Or do you have another line you could try, perhaps one you use for a fax ?
Do you use the same PC and ISP account elsewhere without problems (if you had a laptop for example ?)

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2003, 02:42:45 pm »
I use the same  isp, account no and password at home without any problems there!
Perhaps it could be my Internet Explorer 5.5 at the office????
I have been advised to get a LJ10/14 filter thingy by a guy having similar problems in Brookmans Avenue.
I will let you know the result when I have bought one.
I am very reluctant to change isp as every time you change, there is always loaded of problems inc. e-mail addreses etc - too much hassle.
I will try plugging into another line - good idea.
Thanks for all your ideas.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2003, 02:44:15 pm by WINDSORS »

Tags: