Author Topic: Spam or not Spam?  (Read 16122 times)

Offline stevea

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Spam or not Spam?
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2006, 06:39:17 am »
I agree with ADM - why don't you have a punch up on The Village Green on Sunday morning.
Queensbury Rules with gloves on or bare knuckle - anything goes!! Fighters choice!
This will liven the place up! - and we can find out who is the hardest whinger of them all!!

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2006, 08:28:46 am »
I suspect people who know a lot more about computers and the internet than I do are trying to establish a principle here to protect us all. However, I had 21 emails overnight-ALL selling pills or replica watches or messages from Barclays asking again and again for my personal details so they can improve security. That is spam in my layman's book. Information or opinion from my elected MP is not, whether I agree with it or not.

I think if we're going to have a mass brawl on the green, we should add some sophistication by throwing a ball in the middle. football with no rules sounds a lot more fun than boxing with no rules. That is only my view of course. but anyone who doesnt agree better wear shin pads.

Back on the spam issue, a lot of emails I get are returned mail to me which i havent sent! Seems I am spamming even while I sleep! Does one of aforesaid computer experts know how this is done and how I can stop it?

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2006, 09:36:37 am »
I totally agree with you Peter

I think, and I'm no expert, is that so many emails are sent out (jokes etc) showing all the email addresses of everyone which has a sort of pyramid effect.  If I'm forwarding something on - I will delete all the email address shown in the text.  I think this is one of the ways spammers get hold of email addresses.

Grant's emails are always sent as BCC (I think) and would advise people to send out mass things in this way.

As for how you 'spam' when you are asleep, I really don't know!!

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2006, 12:51:25 pm »
a lot of emails I get are returned mail to me which i havent sent! Seems I am spamming even while I sleep!

Unfortunately this is a very common problem and you cannot stop these emails being sent to you.

This is because spammers use various means to 'harvest' email addresses, sometimes through scanning webpages, newsgroups, sometimes using viruses to read addresses stored in people's address books. However the addresses are obtained is irrelevant, the spammer has literally millions of email addresses to sent their spam to. Often, spam is sent using a random 'real' address from the list of addresses. This is easy to do and is done to try and fool anti-spam filters. Inevitably some addresses the spam is sent to no longer exist so trigger a non-delivery report. If your name was used to send the spam then you will receive a non-delivery report even though you have never sent an email to that address.

Note that the spammer is not using your mail server or account, just forging the email's 'from' address. This is because SMTP is not particularly secure in this respect.

Such 'bounce' messages are difficult to avoid receiving as they all originate from genuine mail servers, not the spammer's server. It is often difficult to distinguish easily between these messages and genuine ones you want to see, eg if you inadvertently sent an email and spelt the email address incorrectly for example.

Hope this explains why it appears you have sent emails whilst asleep. In fact you haven't - it's just a form of identity theft.

John_fraser

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2006, 08:56:56 pm »
As a life long coward and full time wimp, I think Iíll decline all offers of a punch up, with or without a ball.

I do not feel Grant has answered my points. Which were:

Why is the opt out clause so badly worded?
Why canít I opt out of all mails from Grant when signing up?
Why is there no declaration to say that e-mail addresses will not be given to any third party, including the Conservative Party?

I define feel spam as unwanted bulk e-mails. As I would/do not want the mails that would wing their way to me if I signed up I will continue to call Grantís mails spam. Yes I could set up a throwaway address and avoid the spam, but that is not the point. Many people would not know how to do this and most probably would not realize that this would be a sensible precaution. Grant says he will remove people from his list upon request (and I have little reason to doubt him) but this is tantamount to asking people to click on the ďremove me linkĒ and someone in Grantís position should be promoting best practice.

Look, this is really very simple. If you do not want to be on my email list simply DON'T SIGN UP TO IT.  That's it, the end of the story!
I am very surprised at Grantís reply, which appears to be ďsign up or get lost.Ē The (partial) opt out option is very badly worded and would take minutes to re-word. It would also be very easy to say that he would not pass on address, provided he had no intention of passing them on. To me it is very simple: I do want to sign the petition, but I donít want any mails.

Finally, spam is not a minor issue, it is a serious problem. Most mail is spam and last time I saw the figures it was heading to 90% by volume. My mail is held on a server which holds about 40 mail boxes and receives many thousands of spam mails each day. Spam filtering is reasonably computational intensive, far more what would otherwise be required by a simple mail server   My mail server is frequently running at 100% CPU, which means that it is drawing more power then it would otherwise need, hence increasing pollution and greenhouse emissions. It will soon have to be replaced by a more powerful machine, also increasing pollution. Now think of large companies with thousands or, in the case of Google and hotmail, millions of mail boxes. Think of how much power is wasted every by them having to filter out spam.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2006, 08:59:28 pm »
Thanks for that explanation. good to know this junk is not coming from me although the failed messages come back to me! I just get fed up deleting them every day.

I have always been amazed people who obviously have some brains and or aptitude to do  things us ordinary bods cannot dont use those skills to do something useful?-Like running a local forum!!

What worries me is if I am getting a couple of dozen back failed each night, how many are getting through?!

John_fraser

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2008, 04:31:07 pm »
Not on-topic, but close enough:

Yesterday I got a bunch of raffle tickets and a letter from Welwyn Hatfield Conservatives. Being fed up to the back teeth with junk mail I registered with the Mailing Preference Service a while back. Yet, despite requests, political parties see no need to abide by my wishes and still send me this junk (Word to the wise: It's probably not a good idea to ignore my clear wishes and then ask  me to trust you with my vote). Fortunately they did provide me with a pre-pay envelope, so the suitably defaced tickets will be sent back to them at their expense.  If enough people do this it might get the message across. No Junk Mail!

Tags: