Author Topic: RVC parking in Hawkshead Lane  (Read 54190 times)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: RVC parking in Hawkshead Lane
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2010, 11:44:57 am »
The RVC has made a planning application for 124 car spaces.  It will be an extension of the existing car park between Hawkshead Lane and the Queen Mother Hospital building. 

In 2008 the RVC applied for extra car parking including a new car park on the sports field.  It was deleted after objections were made.  At that time both the NM Green Belt Society and NM Parish Council said that the extra parking should be on the field between the Queen Mother Hospital and the railway line, even though it would be on Green Belt land.  It was the only way that both could see an answer to the parking problem.

This new application takes into account the daily logs kept by residents of the number of cars parked on the lane.  It is simply an extension of a car park and drivers will have to use the existing entrance and exits.  A small earth banking and landscaping will shield the sight of the cars from the road.  Low level lighting bollards will be used, as existing.

The aim is to remove the congestion caused by all the cars parked on the road and verges.  There will also be a footpath inside the car park for students and staff so that they do not have to use the pavement.  You may have noticed that the RVC has built a footpath on its fields going almost all the way between the main Hawkhshead Campus and Bolton's Farm.  It is for staff and students use.

I am writing this in a personal capacity, and strongly recommend that everyone gives support to this application.  You can see the details and make comments on  https://fastweb.welhat.gov.uk/detail.asp?AltRef=S6/2010/0559/FP&ApplicationNumber=2010%2F0559&AddressPrefix=&submit1=Go.  The links are at the bottom of the page.  Many people have complained, and a petition signed, so this is your opportunity to support the RVC in resolving this problem.

The documents are lengthy but the 'lighting' document gives the layout.  The car park will occupy about 2/3rds of the frontage of the field, and the new footpath will use the existing gate.   Beware - the transport document is over 100 pages long and over 6Mb.

Offline southbury

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2010, 12:25:56 pm »
many thanks Bob. Very informative and useful .

rgds

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2010, 06:19:30 pm »
Work on the RVC car park extension started today   ;D

colinr

« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2010, 06:48:48 pm »
Work on the RVC car park extension started today   ;D

Bob, on a slightly different subject.

Do you know why every “new building” that has been erected on the vet collage site over the last 10 years, is completely different to the others, a bit of a miss match I think.

I’m not saying I don't like them but it look odd to me, and how could the planing permission have been given?

If I wanted to build three houses next to each other all very different, I would have thought WHC would reject the plans .

any idea why?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2010, 05:13:04 pm »
Possibly the different uses of the buildings dictates the overall shape.  One building has a curved roof because of the 'green' natural ventilation system employed.  Another building with few windows has a large lecture room with tiered seating overlooking, but separated by a glass wall for hygiene reasons, a dissecting room.  The library needs lots of windows to let in the natural light but it has horizontal slats to reflect the sun when it is low in the afternoon sky.  I think the differing designs makes it interesting.

Opinions can differ as to whether or not there should be uniformity of general style or a variety. A large housing estate by the same developer can be a nightmare to find your way around and, even more importantly, find your way out of it!

Very few houses on Brookmans Avenue, Kentish Lane, etc had the same architect.  I prefer these individual houses instead of a street of clones.  But even a street of mainly the same style, as on Swanley Bar Lane, can alter over the years due to different extensions, gardens etc which have created individual houses.

The council does usually refuse designs, both for houses and front boundaries, that are out of character with the street scene although there are a few notable exceptions.  Don't ask me to name them - use your own eyes.

A house on Mymms Drive has just lost an appeal because the proposed front boundary wall, railings and gates would be out of keeping with the open and spacious character of that road.  I hate the 'Fort Knox' attitude that is creeping in, with massive front walls, metal fencing and metal gates operated by remote controls.  This is a city mentality that has no place in a village.  Many of those on a certain street were built without planning permission and the time limit has passed for the council to take action.

Whew, I feel better for that rant.     :mblah05: :mblah05: :mblah05:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:27:41 pm by Bob Horrocks »

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2010, 11:48:58 am »
 I hate the 'Fort Knox' attitude that is creeping in, with massive front walls, metal fencing and metal gates operated by remote controls.  This is a city mentality that has no place in a village.

I agree with you, Bob. The gates simply demonstrate too much money and not enough taste.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2011, 09:21:48 am »
Someone told me this is so that the curbs and verges damaged by cars parking on them can be repaired. Is anyone able to confirm?

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline GGDT

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2011, 08:11:13 pm »
Anyone know what time it's closing tomorrow morning?

I drive down there every morning on the way to work.

Offline Roger1000

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2017, 08:05:08 pm »
Hi All,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but thought it was the best place for the below;

I'm new to the area and wanted to get a clearer picture on the parking restrictions in place around the playing fields opposite the vet college. I can see it's part of the permit area between 8am-6pm but I wanted to know if the grass verge opposite the college i.e the large strip that leads onto the field is public/private (RVC) land. Reason being, I often walk my dogs in the field and in the woods behind and usually walk there however a couple of chaps I've seen walk their dogs park on the grass verges when it's dry (spring through summer) and I personally have no problem with this because the grass is dry in the spring/summer and it's only for a short time. The other day, I saw one small car parked in the road and the other small car half on the verge/half in the road. A traffic warden pulled up in a car and gave parking tickets to both, but didn't ticket the groundman who had his truck in front of the gates of the field i.e on the concrete not the grass.

Both cars were in the road either fully or partly i.e half road/half grass. Am I right in assuming that because they were on the road they got tickets? Is the grass verge counted as the road? Just wondering as I've got a feeling the traffic officer might have smelt blood so to speak and frequent the area more regularly.

If you look at Google street/satellite the area is so much better than the pictures from 2011 show i.e no work vans on the grass verges and actual grass not mud, but would like to warn a couple of friends if they leave their cars on the grass.

Thanks,

Roger

Tags: