Author Topic: Driving Antics  (Read 20918 times)

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Driving Antics
« on: February 12, 2002, 10:37:53 pm »
See who can post the funniest or dopiest antic, I will start with one I witnesed tonight:-
A lady parked her volvo opposite the post box next to where the coach parking problem has been occouring.
She parked with nose 2ft from kerb and tail 5ft from kerb whilst picking up her child. The kids then had an argument as to who would sit up front, this went on for 5 minutes ( I sat on wall and watched). She then went forward past the wooden fence, drove up on the nearside verge and did a U turn which meant that she went up on the verge on the other side of the road. Then she drove to the end of the road and turned right into Mymms drive without giving way! While all this ws going on you can imagine the problems to other drivers.
funny, dopey or tragic you judge?

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Re: Driving Antics
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2002, 12:24:07 pm »
Oh well I must be the only one that walks, surely someone has an amusing tale?
regards,
jet

John_fraser

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2002, 02:54:30 pm »
Sadly I find the antics very unamusing. Dangerous – speeding, selfish and inconsiderate – parking on the pavement and in disabled spaces, lazy – driving under a mile, annoying – reving engines and sounding horns at night, but very seldom funny.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2002, 05:23:23 pm »
It is tongue in cheek John,
but you have to laugh or you would go mad!
regards,
jet

Offline Oly

• Opinions on many things
  • Well, I say
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2002, 10:59:47 pm »
The driver near the coach parking are just rubbish, sutpid and thick like the rest of them

John_fraser

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2002, 11:40:19 pm »
Had the day off and picked up my son from the nursery. Saw a driver, having weaved between the parked cars at speed, pull up to the zigzag lines – in the rain - to pick up his children who were standing right on the curb. All whilst talking on a mobile phone.

Seldom get to pick my son up, but when I do I always see at least one example of bad driving.

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2002, 05:22:44 pm »
 I have noticed over the last few months a number of people living on Bluebridge have started to park at the junction that goes into The Gardens. This parking makes it very hard to make the turn round into The Gardens as you are unable to see oncoming traffic. So access is made hard. If Im right I believe you are meant to park 30 yards away from a junction.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2002, 11:59:46 pm »
Can I just say a big thank you to the (insert expletive here) person in the red convertable car who came out of Moffats Lane at speed and did a fine job of cutting me up whilst I was going down Bluebridge road earlier.

Perhaps if you hadn't had a mobile phone glued to your left ear at the time, you might have made a better job of trying to knock me off my bike!  >:(
« Last Edit: May 05, 2002, 02:23:52 am by James_Bentall »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2002, 02:13:15 am »
To add a touch of humour to a serious thread. Today I followed a horse rider through Essendon, nothing odd about that? however he was trotting with a mobile phone glued to his ear. Can't even go for a ride without talking to someone.
As an ex rider it is allways best to have both hands on the reins, unless one needs to use ones trusty 38 winchester against baddies ;)
Thought it would amuse,
regards,
jet.
P.S. one does not need to be on a bike to get "cut up" that type of person would do it if you were in a chieftan tank.

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2002, 12:49:59 pm »
 I thought I better warn you. Well I have just reached 17 and I'm currently learning to drive. So to make it easier and safer for you I thought I'd warn you to stay off the roads on fri at 5:30 for at least an hour.
Thanks!

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2002, 11:01:30 pm »
Some of you will like this one.   Read in the paper the other day that about 30 people in Dubai had gone out in the middle of the night/early hours of the morning and spread oil all over an 8 lane highway so they could go out and have fun practising their abilities at handling a car in slippery conditions (possibly quite a sensible idea  ???).   Cannot remember what they were fined, but the best bit was that all their vehicles were confiscated and were going to be added to the stock of police cars.

It amused me.

Mary

P.S.  That is at least 15 ostentatious 4x4 into the hands of the boys in blue  ;)

John_fraser

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2002, 11:09:27 pm »
Slightly off topic this, but I find it amusing. Those of you who already think I’m warped may want to look away now.

There’s a guy somewhere in England who goes out looking for hedgehogs that have been hit and killed by traffic. When he finds one of these unfortunate creatures, he takes them home, where carefully skins it. He then places a brick in the skin and returns the stuffed hedgehog to the place of its demise i.e. in the middle of a road. His stated objective is to encourage drivers to avoid hitting hedgehogs.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2002, 11:10:08 pm by John_fraser »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2002, 11:20:33 pm »
I know this is on the wrong thread and should be on school coach thread but I am too lazy to find it so here goes.
The inevitable collection of cars was parked the other night opposite where the coach stops ( of course) On the Calder side a driver parked facing another driver who of course was parked on the wrong side of Moffats right on the bend.
They both had their engines running and headlights on blinding each other and all other drivers trying to negotiate the junction.
A bit of a duel between ignoramuses.
These drivers pick up one kid, yet they must know each other via their sprogs, surely one driver could pick up and deliver say three kids in shifts, thus reducing traffic and giving each other a break.
Or do they all distrust each other so much?
weird or is it me?
Oh well JFs let the hedgehog trick out of the bag now!
Time to plant a "sleeping" hedgepig in Calder I think, something for the 4WDs to aim for ???
Guess with this little flurry of posting telly must be dire tonight, even in the UAE.
regards,
jet
oh by the way the driver was the same Volvo driver I started this thread about yonks ago >:( One year ago to be exact ;) no its not, this site uses the American way of month before day :-\
« Last Edit: December 01, 2002, 11:35:44 pm by jet »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2003, 09:37:08 am »
It will be interesting to hear how people will cope when the new laws on the use of mobile phones come into force on December 1, (click here to read more details).  Judging by the numbers who use mobile phones while driving around Brookmans Park, it seems many face a massive life-style change to remain within the law.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2003, 08:04:59 pm »
Will the law be enforced?

Mad_Dad

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2003, 03:42:57 pm »
Somehow I doubt that the new law re driving while on a mobile phone will force a "lifestyle change" (see earlier post). Most people ignore lots of other driving-related laws such as speeding. parking on pavements, giving way to pedestrians or oncoming traffic, so they will ignore the new law as well.

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2003, 03:34:24 pm »
Ok so which bit of "Road Closed" do so many people not understand?

Hawkshead Lane has been closed to through traffic for a couple of months now but still at least three of four cars every hour (at weekends) drive to the bottom of the road and find it is closed.  In order to get right down to the bridge they have had to pass at least 10 signs saying road closed, the final one being 20 yds from the bridge which is in the middle of the road.  Then they find there is not enough room to turn round and have to perform a 13 point turn or reverse back up.  This has included a double decker Kelly's coach and various delivery vehicles having left the RVC.

Just for information the road is to remain closed until after Christmas so if you want to use the bridge get a bike or a horse.

???

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2004, 05:24:13 pm »
Has anyone else noticed the amount of people in the village who think it is their right to just pull out infront of you?

By the way its now official male drivers are better than females. That test the nation thing will be a good enough piece of evidence for me.lol

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2004, 05:31:10 pm »
trble is 2 mny undr 20s texting whle drvng :) :) :) :)

rgds,

jet

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2004, 05:34:42 pm »
I would like to remind you its not always the under 20's. I have seen plenty of business men and women driving home with the phone to their ear. I tend o think its a lot of mature drivers who think they have more experience who think they can drive with one hand on the wheel and one on their phone. However I do agree that there are alot of young drivers who text. However Ill make it clear I turn my phone off when Im in my car because when it rings it makes me jump and the ringing gets on your nerves until its stops.lol

AgentOrange

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2004, 11:13:07 pm »
Now we have a new hazard. Some kids are driving round the Pine Grove / Chancellors area on a quad bike. Good they have a helmet on, but certainly under 17, no tax, no insurance and worst of all no training to deal with traffic. This is irresponsible at best and downright dangerous at worst. One speeding car (see speeding forum) and ...well, I dread to think of the consequences.  :'( One for the community police officer I think....

Offline trinity

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2004, 11:34:05 pm »
A couple of them were phutting around the green yesterday, on these motorised scooter things. Remarkable how, with the sort of modern technology that has made vehicle and even aircraft engines relatively clean and quiet, one of these things can make such an awful noise and stink the place out with clouds of un- and partly-burnt petrol.

Just the sort of occasion where one of those big, randomly-steered 4WDs would come in useful :-)

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2004, 09:34:13 pm »
I think they come under the heading of "if you can buy them it must be OK to use them", which of course is now applied to laser pointers (instant blindness if you get it in the pupil), air rifles, gas guzzling 4WDs (oops, sorry, wrong thread).

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

AgentOrange

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2004, 11:28:07 pm »
More stereotyping! :-X

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2004, 11:31:06 pm »
Its called cynical humour and is a way of staying sane.

Today must be the most boring day in the world, this must be a record for forum posts.

regards,

jet

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2004, 09:37:25 am »
Police have issued a warning that the 'educational period' for drivers to stop using mobile phones while driving is over. They've vowed to get tough with motorists they catch breaking the new law. Click here for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2004, 12:51:11 pm »
Following a decrease in offenders I have noticed more people are starting to drive one handed again!
regards,
jet
Usually females in 4WDS

AgentOrange

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2004, 02:14:51 pm »
Jet, you're so right..opinions on everything, but facts on nothing.
I've noticed many non 4X4 drivers as well, but maybe the extra visibility on a 4X4 means you notice it more! Keep it up.. I'm enjoying this!

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2004, 03:11:21 pm »
Well on my trip to the dump this morning I nearly got splatted by a one handed huge white van man who was making a call, reading his schedule, all while turning into moffats from BBR while attempting to change gear.
On my return I was forced on to the verge by two 4WDs being driven by females who did not understand that the parked cars on their side of the road mean't that they should give way.
I had to go on the verge because they were incapable of reversing or getting out of the position they had got into. I could not reverse because of the 4WD behind me.
regards,
jet

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2004, 10:17:56 pm »
I saw a great one back at the beginning of December.  Leaving Dubai to head back to Abu Dhabi on an eight lane motorway, after a very pleasant weekend with friends at the Dubai Rugby 7s, a 2WD Mercedes in front of me switched his hazard warning lights on and promptly executed an almost U turn and went up the incoming sliproad.

I didn't hang around to see if he managed it without mishap, just carried on plodding towards Abu Dhabi at 120kph.  

M

Tags: