Author Topic: Community spirit in Brookmans Park  (Read 10036 times)

John_fraser

Community spirit in Brookmans Park
« on: January 08, 2003, 09:59:25 pm »
Iím slightly puzzled by people claiming that there is little or no community spirit in Brookmans Park. I find the comments especially puzzling as they have have been posted on a community website - of extremely high quality - which is provided free by Dave. Irony or what?

I grew up in North London, in an area where there really was no community spirit. Where you really didnít know the people who lived three doors away by sight and probably didnít know the names of the people who lived next door to you. Where old people would die on a cold night and even the milk bottles pilling up outside the house didnít alert the neighbours.  Iíve also lived in Birmingham, which no more community than London, and Brussels, where I didnít know the names of the people in the next flat and people were mugged on the busy street outside while people looked the other way.

BP by contrast has a community sprit if you look for it. True, many of the people I know around here only because they have children the same age as mine, and the mothers around here form a good self help network. They donít call it that, they call it Pramsters or just friendship, but it is the same thing. I also know a large number of people who donít have children or children of a vastly different age. A good number of the shop keepers know me and my family by name and the shops are always ready to contribute and help at Village Day.

But if you want solid examples of community spirit, consider the following:

• This site
  • Jamesí hard work for the youth around here
  • The fact that Gobbins trust was created by the residence village
  • The flaming that Bradmore Mowers got for having a go at Brian
  • The petition to get local kids into Chancellors
  • The work that goes into Village Day
  • The fact that so many shops are still open, bucking the trend when Tescoís, Sainburyís and Asda are all less than 10 minutes by car.

BP isnít perfect, it isnít even as good as some idolised village in a remote rural community. To live here, you have to work hard and put in long hours, so your time to know your neighbours is limited, but BP is pretty darn good and full of great people. The local spate of vandalism, while very annoying, is pretty small beer. We mostly complain about our neighboursí fires/kids/dogs and not about the all night raves.  

If you disagree with me, or would prefer an even stronger local community, then donít complain, do something about it. Donít bemoan the lack of effort by others, put more in effort in your self.

Offline Margaret

• Opinions on many things
Re: Community spirit in Brookmans Park
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 05:15:47 pm »
Hear hear!!

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2003, 10:41:43 pm »
John

There is _some_ community spirit, but IMHO not much. I tend to agree with Anna on this one - if as a village we can't even do things like put up a single Christmas Decoration on the village green, if as a village we can't all pull together and organise any Jubilee Celebrations etc (four of us did try but had to admit defeat), then I don't think this village is exactly thriving as a community.

The voluntary work in the village is done by a small minority of people - most people (gross generalisation coming up - please note I did not say ALL!!) are too busy or just can't be bothered to help.

This may be partly due to the design of the village as a commuter village - how many people live here of working age who do not commute I wonder?

If you look around at all the requests for help - everything from the scouts to delivering Chancellors News to forming Neighbourhood Watch schemes to manning the Youth and Community Centre to helping with either residents association - either the online or traditional one, now both defunct due to lack of interest and/or members to helping maintain Gobions to the rail users group to any of the others which I know nothing about †- I would be suprised to find of any voluntary organisations in the village that could not benefit from more help or support.

I know this is a 'sign of the times' and all that, but the fact remains that I feel there is not a lot of community spirit in the village. Some people make the effort, but not enough in my humble opinion.

Just my 2p.

James
« Last Edit: January 11, 2003, 10:45:02 pm by James_Bentall »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline anna

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2003, 04:49:01 am »
Have to put my 2p worth in to! Firstly, Thanks James with agreeing with me:)

JF, yes there is some community spirit, but it's mostly virtual, because it mainly happens on this website. This is sad but true, I've been posting on this website for well over a year, yet, I could pass you on the street and now even know you. And I believe you have kids at the same school as mine. How mad is that?

I came to BP July 2000, got my children into the local school. I knew two mothers there already, and apart from those two people. No-one spoke to me! I would stand there waiting for my kids, and everyone ignored me. Just two parents made the effort to invite my children back to play. JUST 2!!! I even had a big birthday party for my daughter in the hope of getting to know people.........but it didn't work. It is only now that I have one in the nursery that I am beginning to get to know people. I've slowly †got "talking" to some of the mothers from my older childens classes. This is not normal. At the school they used to go it. If a new child started we would always go and say hi to the mother, invite the child over, and invite the mother in for coffee.

I tried very hard JF, I got involved in this website, I got involved in the NMORA and the Jubilee committee, and in fact met some very nice people. But still haven't met the people who live 2 doors up the road! †I didn't want to live in a faceless place like London, but there was more community spirit when I lived in New Southgate, or Oakwood.........we knew people who lived in our Road, we helped our "elderly neighbours" in winter time.

I don't think I do moan that much, and I do think I've tried to do something about it. I thought it sad to see no christmas decorations this year and feel the excuses given were very poor. It was because no one was bothered, and didn't want to spend money.

Sometimes I can walk around the village and see a few mothers I know from school. But what about if I didn't have kids at the school, would anyone have bothered to get to know me?

I think this village is very pretty, but the village centre itself is very shabby. We should have pretty flowers and shrubs on the green, it should be a pleasure to walk around, and perhaps on a nice day sit and chat on the benches. † †

We say about people, if you respect others they will respect you. Well same applies to this village, if we show it some love and attention, perhaps people will follow suit and begin to care about their village.

I've been here a short time, so perhaps I have no right to comment, but in the short time, I've grown to love the beauty round here. I love coming on this website and like to think that I've made some "real" friends. †But perhaps this is also a good time to say, that I'll actually be leaving here in June, we're off for a more relaxed life style in Spain. But don't worry I'll probably still come here and give my 2p's worth whilst sipping wine on my my balcony! :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2003, 07:58:25 pm by anna »

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2003, 07:13:34 pm »
Anna it's just an idea, but wouldn't it be sensible for you to introduce yourself to the people. I've always said in life that you can get anything as long as your willing to put in the effort and determination to get it.
I think the problem with the village is not necessarily the community spirit, but the way people are all trying to do better than those around them. People are lazy and so will stop, stand and moan at a problem rather than going to sort it out.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2003, 07:14:39 pm by Mooniemad »

Offline anna

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2003, 08:05:59 pm »
Mooniemad, I actually think I've tried very hard. I do talk to my immediate neighbours and get on well with them. I always smile at people. I met up some people from this forum for the the Jubilee committee, and also for the NMORA.  I've never been one to walk up to total strangers in the street and start talking and if I did people would think I'm mad!  Perhaps if there was neigbourhood watch round here with regular meetings they might help.

But please don't call me lazy. I've got four kids, two of which are still very young and not at school yet. I'm for ever running around taking kids to afternoon activities, I also work. But still find time to take part in MY community Website, and tried very hard on various committees.  

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2003, 08:14:28 pm »
How about a brilliant idea to improve community spirit.
Give out your full name and addresses on this site instead of hiding behind usernames!
Lets change our logos to photos of ourselves!
I made a start right from the start with a photo of my office and my name at the bottom of my comments, so come on, get your best photos out!
Re the lack of Christmas spirit, it is sole destroying to have decorations vandalised - sorry but I am fed up of wasting time and money when I know that the little bu***rs can get away with it so easily - bring back the birch and I will put up a tree!

Offline anna

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2003, 08:24:27 pm »
I actually think most people know where I live!

Offline Ellie

• Opinions on some things
  • Give me peace
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Zumba
  • Reading
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2003, 08:46:19 pm »
I'm with John on this one. We lived in North London when the kids were small and hardly got to know a soul until the boys started school and even then I didn't find the other mums as friendly as I'd expected.

When we moved here however we found things completely different! I very quickly got to know lots of the neighbours and lots of the mums from school. I feel we are known in all the shops we use in the village and usually bump in to someone we know when we're down there, or when I am in the Brookmans for a glass of wine with my friend, and I love it!

I think James has a different definition of community spirit to me - and I don't disagree with what he says -time is the enemy and whilst I only work a 6-hour day,  I'm still exhausted when I get home, (how did I ever work until 5pm?), I suppose I didn't have kids to cope with then!  

But I do feel that if I or the kids had a crisis and needed help there are lots of people around whose doors we could knock on which I couldn't have said where we lived before.

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2003, 08:49:08 pm »
Sorry Anna I wasn't implying you were lazy. I think its a general problem with most people in the world.

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2003, 09:00:29 pm »
Anna,
I noticed you skirted my idea! What objectins would you have to revealing your name and address and a photo?
Any other comments?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2003, 09:33:38 pm »
I suppose it is all down to how we as individuals define community. For me the community is not just about what we contribute but how comfortable I feel in an area.

We have lived in our native northwest and, for the past 15 years, here in the southeast. †I have also lived on three continents and still think living here is the best.

I am on first name terms with all my neighbours who would all pitch in and help out if needed. †We have made friends through the junior school and have made new friends since our boys have moved on to Chancellorís.

When I walk round the village, I pop in for a chat with Neville, make sure Mayur is ok and always find time to chew the fat with Bryan - to name just a few. †I see faces I recognise (but often donít remember the names Ė sorry) and get smiles and greetings all the time.

Through this site I have loads of new virtual friends and have met up with one or two for a pint. I have great pals in Gobions Woodland Trust, the North Mymms Local History Society and various youth organisations - again through involvement with the Brookmans Park Newsletter and the activities our sons are involved in.

What I like about this community is that people seem to care, and sometimes passionately, about what goes on, as reflected in this site and which is why so many of the debates are so heated.

I agree with John Fraser,

BP isnít perfect, it isnít even as good as some idolised village in a remote rural community. To live here, you have to work hard and put in long hours, so your time to know your neighbours is limited, but BP is pretty darn good and full of great people.

... well said John.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2003, 11:21:55 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2003, 10:23:56 pm »
While I agree with every word James said, I reach a different, more optimistic conclusion. True, all of the voluntary organisations need more help, but they do the world over and it is always a minority who are willing to work to make a difference. IIRC the Jubilee celebration failed here, and in many places, due to a lack ďsuitableĒ of a venue - nowhere seemed to have them in the streets like í76 Ė not due to apathy. I donít know why there was no effort made on the green at Christmas, but I imagine the economic situation and the hassle of getting permission had a lot to do with it. IMHO the NMORA failed because it had no real mandate and therefore no power to tackle any real issue.

Anna, Iím really sorry that you havenít enjoyed BP. I donít know why it hasnít worked. Like you I donít tend to walk up to people in the street, although my wife is highly gregarious. The school does help people meet, but the school, pub and church are the traditional centres to any community.

Maybe the trouble with BP is that it is so expensive to buy a house here. Most people have to work, and work dam hard to be able to afford to live here. Iíd love to do more, help at the scouts etc, but with my job it is difficult. Frequently, as Iím about to head home, I have to deal with sudden problems and have to stay a few hours more. Resulting in a burnt dinner, angry wife and a reluctance to have anyone depend on me getting back at a set time. Many, I feel, are in the same boat.

But I often see examples of ďCommunityĒ that did not exist anywhere else I lived. Last Village Day I took my children on the parade. There was - I believe - no ďofficialĒ police cover, so three police officers, who live locally, stood in. Shop keepers came out to watch, many of who had paid for advertisements in the programme. And given that you probably know about the shops if you go to the school, I doubt they were doing it as an investment.

Look at Paulís generous gesture with brookmanspark.com. Iíd noticed that domain was free, but only thought about grabbing it for myself :(  

I would feel uneasy about putting my address here. All Iíd have to do is mention ďgoing on holidayĒ to announce that my house was empty. Thanks to the spam merchants, I also keep my e-mail hidden. But I will look for a photo of myself.

Offline Zorro

• oppressors tremble at my name
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2003, 11:26:58 pm »
Deeer aanna,
hola muchachos, look forward to seeein you in Espana.
Iee reeturned a few moonths ago, waaas mucho tooo cauld een BP, no jus el weather but zee locals no tooo friendly, why they no waant say hola to a tall dark cabalero een a cape and haat, perhapps ze pistola no too welcom? no spirit in BP no even a new dusbin for el hobbso, hee no all bout bandidos iee theenk, my English she improove no? ahh well gringos weel right again soon
up tornado and away
Zorro Defender of the oppressed

Offline anna

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2003, 02:53:32 am »
John, I didn't say I haven't enjoyed BP. I love BP. If I didn't like the place I wouldn't bother posting on here.  Don't get me wrong, some people are very friendly.  Perhaps it does depend on where you live. Maybe there is more of a community feel if you live around the village and school.  I imagine if I stayed around here for another 10 years, I'd meet a lot more people, but it certainly isn't a welcoming place for "new" people. I'm not trying to have a go or moan. But perhaps people will think about it, next time someone moves into your street, why not make the first move and say hello. Tell them were the local doctors are, tell them how good the local shops are, and be proud of telling them all about the village, the cubs, and other committees.

Neville,

I wouldn't post my personal details for many reasons......for starters, David would tell me off, and suggest I delete it anyway! Secondly, we don't know every registered member, people can come on here as guests and I wouldn't go giving out my address to stangers. But of course if any of the regulars on here really want to know where I live, then I'll be more than happy to tell them via private msg.

I always thought it would be a nice idea to have a meet up once or twice a year at the Brookmans for all the forum members, that way we might really get to know each other rather than just in "cyber" land.  

As for putting my photo up.......hmm, not sure I like that idea, people would then know who I am, and I wouldn't know them........but if everyone else does it, I'll follow suit of course.

Hola Zorro

see you in Spain, hopefully my Spanish will soon be as good as yours! adios!

Ed

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2003, 12:56:28 pm »
I agree with Anna on lots of counts so I thought I'd add my thoughts:

Meeting people: Standing outside the school gates if you don't have children, walking up to strangers in the street and talking to them, and walking into a pub on your own when you don't know anyone in there are not good ideas!!! (Men i white coats come and take you away!! :P)

Ideas:

I think a Brookmans Forum awards ceremony in the hotel would be a great idea and everyone on this site could get to meet people face to face, and to say thanks for the people who donate their time and efferts for the site.

I also think a major problem (thats nobody's fault) is that BP doesn't have its own Parish Council. Where I lived before all new arrivals to the village are given a Welcome Pack with information about the local area - docters, schools etc, and also a commemorative map of the area and a mug with the village coat of arms on.

The PC also have budget for christmas decorations, flowers and plants for the village green etc.

On the good side I think BP is a safe place to live - there are definately a lot worse places.

Ed

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2003, 02:54:57 pm »
I also think a major problem (thats nobody's fault) is that BP doesn't have its own Parish Council. Where I lived before all new arrivals to the village are given a Welcome Pack with information about the local area - docters, schools etc, and also a commemorative map of the area and a mug with the village coat of arms on.

Well, there's North Mymms Parish Council, which is on a pretty local scale.<p>
Personally, I like the idea of a welcome pack - sounds like a good idea. Anna - would you have appreciated something like that when you moved in? Neville - would estate agents be willing to distribute it to those who moved in? Everyone else - would you be willing to help supply information for it and keep it up to date? I'm sure we could keep an electronic copy on the website...

Dave - what about organising a date twice a year where forum contributors can meet? Or would anyone else be willing to do that?

James

Offline anna

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2003, 03:11:06 pm »
James & Ed

I'd have found a welcome pack very useful. Even a map of the area, so when the kids did start making friends I could actually see where they lived! A list of doctors, dentists, hospitals and other services. Places of religious worship, nursery's, playgroups and even local tradesman. †It would certainly be very useful, if I'd have known about playgroups round here, I might not have carried on going to a different area and perhaps would have made more friends. Same applies to cubs, I never knew there was a group locally till I came on this website, and spoke to James, and by then my son was already settled somewhere else.

As for a twice yearly meet up, I think its a great idea (of course because it was originally mine!) :) Perhaps we could try to fit one in before I leave, and might drop in on future ones if I happen to be around. † Knowing my luck as soon as I leave you'll all get on famously with regular meet ups in the pub and BP will be voted most friendly village!

It would be great if this website eventually manages to bring the local community together, it's already done that in a virtual sense. †
« Last Edit: January 13, 2003, 04:07:56 pm by anna »

Phil_Holm

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2003, 03:15:30 pm »
Don't quite understand why Neville is so keen on seeing pictures of everyone.

Some of us are not so goodlooking as Mr Hobbs and his beautiful new bride.

Very nice. ;)

Did the photographer ask you to say cheese - Na, probably enough cheese already ;D ;D ;D

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2003, 04:00:21 pm »

As for a twice weekly meet up

Er... you did mean twice yearly didn't you? :)

Why don't you suggest a random date in, say,  March and we'll go from there?

James

Offline anna

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2003, 04:11:02 pm »
er.......James yes I did.......and I've changed it:) Thanks for pointing  my error out to everyone  ;)

Ok 26th March, which is a wednesday night. How's that for a start! Should we start a new thread now, for a social night out.  Perhaps what we should do is choose 3 different dats and let people vote for the one they could make and go from there.

Offline Zorro

• oppressors tremble at my name
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2003, 07:02:29 pm »
Hola Muchachos,
Caramba, dooess eet all neeed to be done by commitee in zis B.P. eef senorita Anna she weesh the 26th march then zat shood be eeet , madre de dios all sees voteen it is like your NMORA n0? Can no wan make zee disseesion? All sees reech passants in seee same hacienda seems like reeech peekins for ze bandidos, all sous 4WDS mucho queeker than even tornado over the land. Iff sees place gets mucho more PC then see labour party will nationalise eet. By zee way you no have yellow pages an thompsons like in espana, eet tell you were it all ees in zee area, seemple, how you won zee war it baffle sis cabalero.
up tornado and away
Zorro Defender of the oppressed

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2003, 11:42:57 pm »
I personally don't understand the need for a 'welcome pack'. †Our experience when we moved here eight years ago was that the available facilities were easy to find. †The yellow pages, the web, the local newsagent's window, the Welwyn Hatfield Times, Chancellor's Community Newsletter, neighbours and the public library have most essential facts for the new arrival in Brookmans Park. †

As for parties, I am afraid large social gatherings are not my strong point and are not something I would personally plan to get involved in. I fully understand if others feel differently and arrange something on their own initiative. †If it happens I hope everyone has a great time.

David Brewer
Forum Editor
« Last Edit: January 13, 2003, 11:44:42 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline anna

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2003, 04:20:34 am »
Sorry Dave, I disagree, when we moved in here, no local directories were left. And where as I was used to getting free papers,  we don't get that here. Library times are not that convienient when you work, plus pretty hard to concerntrate when you have 4 children who want to look at books.   The Welwyn and Hatfied times covers a very large area, and it would be nice to just have something local to here. The Chancellors Newsletter is good, but we dont always seem to get that.   When you arrive in a place with young children, you do feel a need to know what's around, and even if you are the friendly out going type it still takes a while to settle in. But your child might need a doctor in the first  week!

Lets face it for people like yourself who don't feel a welcome pack is needed, you can throw it in that nice Green box. But for others it could be a life line.

Perhaps we can all meet for a cup of tea and a biscuit when we give blood on 25th Jan!  ;D

Offline Margaret

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2003, 10:19:08 am »
Although the idea of a welcome pack sounds nice you are back to the problem of somebody having to deal with it. Like Dave I think there is plenty of information readily available. I'm surprised Anna that you didn't ask any of the other parents waiting at the school gate with you if there were any scout groups etc. that your children could go to. A great way to start a conversation and many long friendships have been started this way. Also I think the notice board in the school has lots of activities on it as does the notice boards in the village centre. If you do not get a Chancellors newsletter it is probably because they can't get anybody in your road to deliver it, perhaps something you could do when walking your children. A great way to meet people and get involved in the local schools. I delivered the Chancellors newsletter for many years and it is amazing how many people come to the door for a chat if they see you coming. I have hung up my delivering hat now as I feel some of the younger mums should be wearing it. Gobions Trust also need people and more members to deliver newsletters and to help generaly. What better way to meet new people. As for the scouts, it is probably best not to get me started on that score, enough to say a square dance was held on Saturday which involved a lot of work by very few people (very succesfully) but only one set of parents made the effort to come. I know it is not everyones cup of tea, but it wouldn't hurt occaisionally to do something different to support your son's scout group. The scouts also held two quiz nights last year and once again the parents of the scouts (and of course the cubs and beavers) failed to support it. As for the square dance, you all missed a great evening which was enjoyed by all (including me and all the hard working committee).

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh. †Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2003, 05:17:27 pm »
Dear All,

Sorry haven't been logging on much lately so have only just read this thread.

I would agree with bits of what everyone has said so far, but I would personally agree with JF the most.  I've lived here for 19 years, and always felt that there was a great sense of community spirit within the village.  However I agree with some of the points that James and Anna have made - I think there is far more community spirit within some households than others - however this is undoubtably the same in most towns / villages.

I think what is important, is that there is community spirit 'available' for people who want to share in it.

On the topic of a bi-annual get-together, I think we would have a good turn out if all people are expected to do is knock back a few light ales and have a chat, rather than having any definite agenda or purpose.  If anything came out if it then so much the better, but if not then no worries.

Since I like nothing better than a good knees up, I will be more than happy to check with the Brookmans and have started up another thread to see if there is sufficient interest to get this off the ground.

Best wishes,
Aidan

Offline anna

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2003, 06:28:29 pm »
Great stuff Aiden, lets see if we can fit in a social before I leave!

Margaret, some of us can be a bit shy, not all us feel we can go up to total strangers and start talking. Everyone is different. As I said, at my kids previous school WE always made an effort to talk to new mums, knowing how lost they must feel.  

I did a very big leaflet drop in BP, for the Jubilee, and yes, it's very time consuming, I admire anyone who can find time for important things like that. If I was still around BP when all my kids were at school all day, I think I would do something like that.  

Perhaps there is a difference between people who have been here and people are are still quite new. Also a difference between those who are out at work all day and others that are based at home.   Perhaps it's better to leave it at that.

I think had I had moved here and put a child straight into the infants or nursery, it would have been a different story, I'd have got talking to people very quickly. That certainly wasn't the case in the Juniors, but now I have one at the nursery, everyone is really friendly.

John_fraser

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2003, 07:07:24 pm »
I'll be the first to put Neville's idea into action.

Blow

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2003, 09:26:50 pm »
 >:( I have to say perhaps community spirit doesnt extend to dog owners.  The "Battle of the Bottom Product"  going along Bluebridge Road is no joke, disgusting yes.  Dark nights and dark mornings are not good for ensuring that shoes dont gain a little extra.  Please dog owners have care and consideration for other path users.

Offline Ann

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2003, 11:21:56 pm »
 :-\ Peraps times have changed, for when my parents came to B.P. there was a great sense of community spirit. Moreover there was just a feeling of being part of something.
My mother made many friends as a result of me attending BPPS.
They knew everyone in their road and, infact over the christmas period it was not unusual for us to have 20-25 neighbours in for Christmas drinks.
When my father built his garage, it was neughbours who helped him.
In the summer months he played tennis once a week; again with neighbours.
Neighbourhood children would see each others lives pattern out, some would go to University, others married and so on .....
I suppose in todays climate, where people 'move on' and do not stay in the community long. It is less likely people will bond or become commited to anything.
With the 'treadmill' of paying off a mortgage, sustaining a job with a good salary, possibily there are long hours and travelling involved. Obviously these factors are not conducive to putting time and energy into some community event or project, or getting to know your neighbours. What time is left is devoted to family.
Times may have changed, but it is obvious from the replys that people want to embrace the idea of a community spirit.

Tags: