Author Topic: Village Day  (Read 15906 times)

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Village Day
« on: January 05, 2003, 07:05:01 pm »
Does anyone know when Village Day is going to be this year? Thanks, James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

John_fraser

Re: Village Day
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2003, 09:54:49 pm »
I’ll double check with my wife, who is helping to organise it, but reasonably sure that it’s on Saturday 14th June .

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2003, 10:04:20 am »
Thanks!
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Phil_Holm

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 03:34:30 pm »
I've just checked with the BP School web site
http://www.brookmanspark.herts.sch.uk/newsletters/diarydates.htm
and the date has changed to 21st June.

Phil

John_fraser

Your School Needs You!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2003, 11:11:05 pm »
Village day will be on the 21st June 2003 and from Monday donations can be left bins situated at the fromt and back entrances of the school.

Village day will be on the 21st June 2003 and from Monday donations can be left bins situated at the front and back entrances of the school. All good quality items will be gratefully received, but to make life easy for the sorters it’s been structured as follows:

Monday 19th May – Friday 23rd – Cans & Jars
Monday 2nd June – Friday 6th– Bottles & Packets
Monday 9th June – Friday 13th– Gifts, toiletries & toys
Monday 16th June – Friday 20th– Anything

Help is always required, so if you can donate some time – even its only an hour – to man a stall or help set up or put away, please mail me and I’ll pass your details on to the hard working group trying to organise this.

Offline Reginald

• Opinions on some things
  • Gunners fan
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 12:28:08 pm »
I hope they dont make too much noise, leave some litter and have too much fun - oh and are licensed!!!

Offline MC

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 11:06:39 pm »
I don't want to be a spoilsport but isn't the village day collection bin concept just going to create a load of traffic problems around the school?  

The good and the great of the general public will presumably - and in some ways hopefully - be rolling up with their donations at whatever times of the day. This is bound to create further traffic issues as people unload etc. And that's assuming the request only attracts the good and the great rather than any undesirables.

I can't honestly suggest an alternative really but this seems to contradict good practice with regard to minimising traffic and risk

John_fraser

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2003, 02:39:16 am »
[shadow=blue,left,300]Only two weeks left![/shadow]

A lot of people have been generous with their gifts and the local shops have been brilliant,

more gifts for the tombola, chipped china for the Crazy Kitchen, books, videos DVDs and soft toys are still needed. [/glow]

Please be generous. Please support our school.
No gift too small.

Drop the items off in the bins situated at the front of school and by the blue nursery gates.

Help is also required. An hour would be great. Just contact me via this board and I'll pass your details on

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2003, 08:38:00 pm »
Has any though been given to a Brookmans Park Forum stand on the day?

It would be good advertising for the site, and if we can get a little more room, we could include a boxing ring so that people can settle old 'e-scores'...

;)

Aidan

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2003, 09:06:39 pm »
if we can get a little more room, we could include a boxing ring so that people can settle old 'e-scores'...  ;) Aidan

They usually have a gladiator-style side show just across the field from the beer tent. That might do.  If I see you there Aidan I'll take you on and the winner can buy a round.  :)

This site will have the usual picture gallery of thumbnail images of the event and people will be able to order full-sized pictures by e-mail or through the forum.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 10:21:29 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2003, 06:18:59 pm »
Can anyone confirm the starting time for Village Day this Saturday, June 21? The signs I have seen around the village and on the green give the date, but no time. There is no mention of a start time in this thread and the What's On listing on this site has the date but no start time. The Brookmans Park Primary School website says, "Fancy Dress Parade starts at 12.45pm from the United Reformed Church - paraders to meet in the car park there at 12.30pm. Parade will be through the village and down Bradmore Way to the arena on the school field, where the judging will take place," but what time do the gates open for the general public and what time do they close?
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2003, 06:46:04 pm »
I thought it was 2pm, but that is secondhand info so if anyone can confirm or deny, that would be great.

Aidan

John_fraser

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2003, 11:18:35 pm »
Village Day Timetable

12:30 - School children in animal costume fancy dress assemble at United Reform Church, Brookmans Park

12:45 - Fancy dress parade from church, through village and to school gates (All children must be accomanied by an adult on the parade)

13:00 - School Gates Open

John_fraser

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2003, 12:15:54 am »
Come to Village Day and get to the chance to win a brand new copy of

Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix for 20p !!

The new Harry Potter book hits the bookshelfs on Saturday and we have managed to obtain a very limited number of copies for the tombola. Come along, have a punt and you be one of the lucky winners to walk away with a copy.

If you think you’re too old for Harry Potter, we have had a bottle of 10 year old Laphroaig donated. A couple of shots of that and you will really feel like magic  ;)

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2003, 12:27:52 am »
Hmm, H. Potter eh, seems like a good reason not to go to village day, like the EU and the Government pure fantasy, ho ho ho :) :) :)
By the way for Aidens benefit go directly to BPH, do not pass BPH, stay in BPH till all the screaming kids have departed, buy jet lots of beer to keep him quiet, ho ho ho :) :) :)
regards,
jet

John_fraser

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2003, 01:00:13 am »
To everyone under the age of 14:
  • Come to village day
  • Win the new Harry Potter book for 20p
  • Take it home and read it

That way you won't end up like Jet  ;D

(that should get the crowds flocking in)

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2003, 03:08:26 am »
Ageist ;D

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2003, 10:23:40 am »
Win a car at Village Day

The organisers of today's Brookmans Park Village Day 2003 have mailed this site to announce a late addition to the events taking place this afternoon --
the chance to win a car!the chance to win a carthe chance to win a car

The PTA says visitors will be able to take part in a 'roll-a-dice' competition.  If you roll seven sixes in one go you are handed the keys.  More details here. Celebrating winning the car in the beer tent is not recommended.  ;)

Village Day Photogallery

As usual this site will be taking a selection of digital snaps of the event. These will be posted on this site as thumbnail images during the afternoon.  When you click on the image a larger picture will be revealed.

If you decide you want any of the pictures, you simply jot down the number beneath the image, e-mail this site and the picture will be e-mailed back to your free of charge.

8)

Note: No identifiable pictures of children will appear without the permission of a parent or guardian.  Group shots of stallholders will only be taken with their permission.  General shots showing people enjoying the event will be added to the gallery, but if anyone is unhappy appearing on the site, the image will be removed immediately. In most cases people will be asked if they are happy for a photograph to be taken.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2003, 11:25:11 am by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2003, 08:01:04 pm »
36 images from Village Day 2003 are now online.  Click here for page one of three.
If you click on the thumbnail images you will see slightly larger pictures, but all have been heavily compressed to assist download speed. However if you want a full-size version of any pictures e-mailed to you free-of-charge, simply mail feedback@brookmans.com and they will be sent to you.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2003, 08:04:02 pm by admin »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2003, 07:10:33 pm »
Whilst I am more than pleased that people had fun, I would state that this event is not village day it is BP Primary school fund raising day.
The side effect of this event was the almost total silence in the rest of the village which enabled some people to enjoy the peace and quiet of their own property on a Saturday for once.
Of course afterwards the hyped up E numbered little treasures returned home and the festivities began, with of course no consideration for their neighbours.
The I will do what I want brigade (including pyromaniacs) had a field day and destroyed the ambiance of the area for others.
Now thats a grumpy post.
Regards,
Ebeneezer Scrooge
ah well back to rattling the chains

John_fraser

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2003, 09:05:51 pm »
I was involved only in the organisation of Village Day, but only in a very minor way at the periphery. My wife had been roped in to co-run the tombola with another lady, and I ended up lending a small hand, which let me see the effort that goes into organising Village Day. It is truly enormous; A lot of evenings and weekends given up by a lot of busy people. By the 20th of June I know I was sick and tired of it, and I had done about 1% of the effort that everyone else put in. But, for me, seeing so many of the residents of BP there on a sunny Saturday, enjoying themselves - in a very British tradition – made it worth doing.

And it is a “Village” Day. True, the fund raising is mainly for the school, although many other parts of village raise money and their profile there too – Scouts, Gobbins, NCT Historical Society etc… But it's not just about money. In terms of numbers attending, it is the biggest single gathering of the community each year. It is the school acting as a focus for the community.

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2003, 01:00:59 am »
What is the village about.  My opinion, though I agree others may differ, is to do all we can to help assist in the education of our small children.  (I have neither small or large children - so no axe to grind, apart from happy memories - and the Village School that gave me an exceptionally good education)

Brookmans Park Primary School started Village Day in the 1950s.  Yes it was primarily to raise funds for the swimming pool and other extras (as was the bonfire night - now sadly defunct because of red tape - I think the pool is defunct as well).

The primary school is the foundation of the Village and is vitally important - far more so than Chancellors is.

Jet, I don't disagree with you on most things - but here I do and so very strongly that I find you comments t offensive.  

Village Day is about the Village.  Perhaps if you had gone there and enjoyed what it had to offer, you may have gone home in a brighter mind to tolerate your neighbours.  Village life is about toleration.

I thought perhaps the village and Village Day had lost what I remembered, but seeing the pictures on the site, it hasn't.  I am really pig sick I could not get home in time for it.

Big thanks to Dave for the pictures.  Glad to see Roger from the BPH features.   I thought I would admit to Roger being the only person I recognised, but I did find one or two others.

Best regards
Mary

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2003, 12:40:40 pm »
Dear Mary,
could you please explain, perhaps by instant mail to avoid literal sparring on the site what you find offensive about my mail.
I said that I was pleased that people had fun.
You confirm what I said in that "village day" is/was about fund raising.
I was also happy to donate via the scouts to support the event.
I find it offensive that the only reason people get together in  this village is to raise funds to provide private money for a state funded school. I like many older people around here feel left out because we have no children. As someone said to me when I moved in " oh you will be nothing around here socially if you haven't got children at BP Primary"
I have been to many VDs in the past but in later years have found that the peace it provides for the quiet enjoyment of my property far outweighs the company of generally noisy kids.
As for being tollerant, if you think tollerating loud mouthed drunken middle aged men swearing and shouting at their kids within earshot of at least 30 homes around them acceptable, I do not, and nor would you. I think you would be surprised at the acceleration into yobbishness and poor behaviour amongst certain families around here that has occured during your absence from the village. You would be surprised at the behaviour that many people in various parts of the village put up with most weekends.
Village life and any other life for that matter is about consideration not tollerance and with the example set by some parents around here we as a society are breeding future generations that will be ignorant to the rewards of polite social behaviour.
My last word on the subject.
regards,
jet

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2003, 05:38:51 pm »
Jet,

Where are these 'foul mouthed drunken middle aged men swearing and shouting at their kids' ?Are you referring to Village Day or BP in general.

I'm not having a go, just genuinely interested as my experiences of BP life seem quite different. Although I do have young children, am perhaps approaching middle age and do like to get (peacefullY  ;D) drunk occasionally I've found that, by and large, BP is the most friendly place I've ever lived, mostly full of what I consider to be decent people.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2003, 07:09:12 pm »
I  was not in any way suggesting that anyone who was at VD behaved inapropriately, as I was not there ( although I could hear it in the distance) I would have no opinion of what transpired there.
There were 3 parties within earshot of my house, and I know of two other instances in other parts of the village, the people who told me about them do not wish to be identified.
It is quite usual for the writer to witness rowdy anti social behaviour on my walks of the village.
Apart from my ranting about bad behaviour it should be apparent that my little "knocks" at VD are meant tongue in cheek as if I think anyone would be justifiably insulted by anything I write I just do not post.
Strangely enough I was at a party in Tottenham Friday night and the behaviour of the people in the general area was much better  than around here. I would confirm though that in that area if you behave antisocially the reward can be rather unpleasant.
regards,
jet

Hampton_Wick

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2003, 04:47:41 pm »
Jet,

Did you look at the price of the houses in Tottenham.  Perhaps you could make a killing, sell you home in BP,  and move there.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2003, 11:08:19 pm »
Dear HW,
we do try to discuss personal things via I.M.s on this site rather than risk defamation and offense, having grown out of that type of thing last year.
However since you ask I do have a house in Tottenham, its where I was born, to buy another one would be rather greedy.
I only post what I experience and I have found that the cosmopolitan people of Tottenham are generally friendlier than some of the ( all be it,well trousered) trash around here. Apart from the odd shooting of course.
regards,
jet

John_fraser

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2003, 12:23:59 am »
I grew up in Harringay. Lived in Crouch End long before it became Yuppi and went to School in Tottenham, near the bottom of Bruce Grove. I drank far too much at the Bee Hive on too many nights – and always lost at pool - shouted myself horse at White Heart Lane for Spurs to get a goal – usually to no avail. I’ve played football in the recreation ground in the shadow of Broadwater Farm and, having missed the last bus home, walked the length of Lordship Lane more times than the 243 bus has driven down it. I learnt to Swim at the Lido, dance at the Night Club on Nightingale lane and acted outrageously in parties at least one house in every road. Boy, I know Tottenham and, although I don’t go there much these days and it could have changed, I still think that if it’s more pleasant than here, there are two Tottenhams and you mean the other one.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2003, 01:12:56 am »
There are parts of Tottenham that are pleasant if you like that type of thing and parts that are downright dodgy.
Of course its worse than here, traffic and the council are appaling.
Its not peoples fault that the governments have destroyed this area.
Again John being older than you I can remember Tottenham as being a pleasant suberb, I am sorry to say that immigration was one of the factors which caused problems, too many dissadvantaged people let down by an infrastructure that could not cope.
Before some one calls me rascist, my best friend at Primary school was Jamaican.
The other problem was knocking down houses and building flats, thus undermining the social structure and causing overcrowding. Another silly daft Labour government ideal.
regards,
jet

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2004, 09:50:39 pm »
Interesting to see that the Brookmans Park Village Day banner is now facing the Webcam, rather than the traffic entering the village from Station Road as in recent years.   ;)

Just a pity the Webcam is low resolution, so the banner can't be read online. However, if it could be read, it would say that Brookmans Park's annual Village Day fête is to be held at Brookmans Park School, Bradmore Way on Saturday 19 June.

Does anyone from the school PTA want to add what time the gates are open and what attractions/food facilities are available?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 09:51:38 pm by admin »

Tags: