Linked Events

• Bluebell Walk in Gobions - 2pm: April 29, 2010
  • Bluebell Walk in Gobions - 2pm: May 06, 2010

Author Topic: Local Nature  (Read 121785 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Local Nature
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2010, 02:53:07 pm »
Some great fungi in The Great Wood, Northaw.  Took some snaps today for those unable to get out or scramble through the damp undergrowth.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2010, 04:41:22 pm »
Lovely pictures, David.  Such detail!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2010, 05:21:33 pm »
Yes, and they are compressed; the full-sized images are lovely.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Nobby

« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2010, 08:02:39 pm »
Some great shots - I'd like to know what species they are. The only ones I recognise are the Fly Agarics (red ones with white spots), so if there are any experts out there, please take this opportunity to educate us all.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2010, 10:01:00 am »
An interesting programme on fungi on Radio 4 yesterday, still available on iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00v1pht

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2010, 10:05:08 am »
 :) Thank you for the lovely photos.   I might even be tempted to go and have a look myself.  :)

Offline NZer

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2010, 11:48:03 pm »
Wonderful photos thank you - I did enjoy looking at them.  They reminded me that I used to make spore prints of the different fungi when I was young.  Its probably not allowed to pick them now - like the wildflowers, but the prints were lovely.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2010, 02:59:46 pm »
I am probably showing my ignorance here but how exactly did you make a spore print?

Offline NZer

« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2010, 07:29:00 am »
To make a spore print, we used to cut off the stalk to very near the cap, place the cap on a piece of greaseproof/wax paper (must be greaseproof or wax), then place carefully in a warm place.  We used to put ours in the airing cupboard.  As the cap dries, the spores fall onto the paper.  The wax/grease or whatever they put in the paper, softens slightly so the spores stick to the paper.  You get various colours of spores.  We used to do this in conjunction with attempting to identify the fungi and add notes as to where they were found. :)

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2010, 09:09:32 am »
Thanks for the info, sounds intreresting - I might just give it a go.  I trust the spores did not spread in the process and that you did not end up with an airing cupboard full of fungi???

Offline NZer

« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2010, 07:42:47 am »
I have no recollection of any aftereffects!!  No fungi were seen growing anywhere.  Best of luck. :D :D

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #161 on: October 19, 2010, 09:27:25 am »
I love autumn - the season of big spiders.  This one was having a rest on our wall. From the tip of one leg to the other was 5 cm across. Click on the picture if you like hairy legs and want a close up.   :)

Offline Helen

« Reply #162 on: October 19, 2010, 09:57:57 am »
No thanks David - I get enough close-ups when they sneak under the front door & pay us a visit. The perils of living in a wooded area I guess. Anyway, for those of you who, like me, aren't as keen on these monsters as David seems to be, trying putting out nice fresh conkers at their usual access points. We started doing that last Oct when we read that spiders don't like the chemicals found in conkers.

It definitely works - instead of the previous 2 or 3 a week (yuk!!) we now only get the occasional one marching up our hallway. Only trouble is that the conkers don't stay fresh for a whole year so we noticed that the little...no, big...blighters have been starting to invade again over the last few months.

Helen

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #163 on: October 19, 2010, 10:10:18 am »
On Autumn Watch last week, Chris Packham stated that the whole story about conkers keeping spiders away was a myth. I must admit I've never tried it - we tend to catch ours and put them outside. Now I'm wondering if, like snails, they have a homing instinct .....

Offline Helen

« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2010, 10:32:09 am »
Maybe they just can't get past all the conkers piled up against the front door!!  ;)

I'm going to stick with the conkers again this year & see what happens. If it even deters one Hertfordshire Hairy then I'll be happy!

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #165 on: October 19, 2010, 10:57:56 am »
We have to make the most of our conkers now as our lovely horse chestnut trees are suffering a fatal disease.  Elms have gone, oaks are under threat from a moth and now horse chestnuts. 

Offline Silver

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on: October 19, 2010, 08:23:46 pm »
I have tried the conker deterrent for the past two years and I don't seem to have had as many spiders as I used to have. Despite the Autumnwatch report, I think this one is worth a try. The conkers are unobtrusive and don't make a mess.

On another nature subject: I haven't seen any daddy-long-legs this year, and they usually are a real menace around the end of September. Perhaps they're not keen on conkers either!

Tags: