Author Topic: Vandalism  (Read 7763 times)

Offline Oly

• Opinions on many things
  • Well, I say
Vandalism
« on: December 22, 2002, 11:52:51 pm »
 :o Has anyone noticed that the phone box has been vandalised, the glass has been smashed and there are peices everywhere. Also the glass shelter at the train station has been vandalised over and over again. Does anyone know why this is happening?. This is brookmans park-vandalism is not ment to happen here.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Re: Vandalism
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2002, 03:01:44 am »
Don't forget the bench on the village green, which has had the back supports broken, and the bus stop outside Centurion Estate Agents which had the glass covering the timetabling area - both were done Sat night (although some kind soul - I didn't see who - tidied up the glass of the bus stop on Sunday morning).

I noticed when going through Welham Green earlier that the phone box at the junction of Holloways Lane and Dixons Hill Road had also been smashed up - coincidence, or someone going around doing lots of them - unsure.

Hoping it's just a phase that will go away very quickly - although it does rather vindicate whoever decided not to have any Christmas decorations on the green this year - I guess they would have been ruined as well. Well done to Brian for making a bit of effort with his Santa outside his shop!

Sad state of affairs really, but I doubt anyone really has any solutions - CCTV on the village green anyone? :(

James
« Last Edit: December 23, 2002, 03:03:29 am by James_Bentall »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Reginald

• Opinions on some things
  • Gunners fan
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2002, 04:53:58 pm »
Bring back the bobby on the  beat complete with "clip around the ear" - it worked for me!  ???
« Last Edit: December 23, 2002, 04:54:26 pm by Reginald »

Offline Oly

• Well, I say
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2002, 01:11:45 am »
I think that CCTV on the village green is a bit unessecary, anyway even if we did have CCTV on the village green, yobs who smash up things will still break things even if they are caught on camera.

Offline CarolineB

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2003, 01:30:21 am »
There seems to be an increase of local vandalism, which I think is most likely due to local youths. Recent recorded instances in Pine Grove have been smashed car rear windows, with nothing much taken, smashed aerials, walking over parked cars, and removal of football goals and house number plates. It is not pleasant.

Caroline
Caroline

Offline Margaret

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2003, 10:11:56 am »
Perhaps more vigilance (or nosiness?) on the part of the local community would help. After all the neighbourhood watch has been in operation for years. If everybody kept a better eye out for the immediate area and reported anything suspicious perhaps these vandals can be stopped before it gets really out of hand. After all they are not quiet as they think they are immune from anybody reporting them.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2003, 10:48:04 am »
Is Neighbourhood watch village wide? I've certainly never heard anything about it....

I would guess that the vandalism incidents will become less of a problem once the schools start again this week.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Margaret

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2003, 10:45:47 am »
If neighbourhood watch isn't village wide then it should be. Anybody interested in joining please contact me.
Vandals etc. would be less inclined to wreack havoc here if they thought it was a strong NW area.

Offline eric

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2003, 11:06:08 am »
"Vandals etc would be less inclined to wreak havoc here ... "  only if it were probable that they could be successfully prosecuted AND receive a meaningful sentence.  Without discentive there's little incentive for some to reform

Offline Oly

• Well, I say
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2003, 01:05:54 am »
Why can't we have a high visability police presence around Brookmans Park. If the police came to Brookmans Park a bit more than once a month then perhaps we wouldn't have mindless yobs who dont have anything in their head, the saying "lights are on but no ones home". I not crittising the police for not doing a good job but if they could make the effort to visit Brookmans Park then we would have less reports of vandalism and disorderly behaviour. After all there is a high visability police presence in Boramwood but nowhere like Brookmans Park, Potters Bar, Hatfield.  You can't just have a police presence in Boramwood we need it here as well.

TrueLies

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2003, 04:04:46 pm »
The Neighbourhood Watch scheme is a waste of time in our area - achieved absolutely nothing. Car and shop vandalism takes place (not that often) and the Police are reluctant to put more bobbies on the street - they will only act as a temporary visual detterent.

Villagers have been asking for CCTV from the Council, but they are tightening their spending and in their view, the problem is not serios enough. So what is the answer?.

I feel CCTV is the only way to go. It's the only way the Police will follow up a crime unless they've caught the criminals in the act (slim chance). In my case i've decided to purchase a system which records 8 cameras real-time 24/7. It's not cheap but it's lead to 1 conviction for shoplifting already.

How about all the shops dividing the cost of a CCTV system between them?.

Jimmy  :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2003, 04:05:22 pm by TrueLies »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2003, 02:45:31 am »
Perhaps more vigilance ... on the part of the local community would help. After all the neighbourhood watch has been in operation for years.

Is Neighbourhood watch village wide? I've certainly never heard anything about it ...

If neighbourhood watch isn't village wide then it should be. Anybody interested in joining please contact me.

Following this thread on Neighbourhood Watch, fresh details have been posted on the site explaining what Brookmans Park and Little Heath Neighbourhood Watch does. Click here to read more.
It is interesting that, 20 years ago when the group held its first meeting, the main issue being discussed is the same as one dominating Neighbourhood Watch discussions today -- the problem of bored teenagers in the village centre and what to do about it.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2003, 02:46:47 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: