• Local crime meeting: May 11, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: June 08, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: July 06, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: August 03, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: September 07, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: October 05, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: November 02, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: December 07, 2009

Author Topic: Local crime and community policing  (Read 182508 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Local crime and community policing
« Reply #300 on: July 22, 2007, 11:21:36 am »
Police say that recorded crime in Hertfordshire fell in the last year with ‘significant reductions’ in burglary and vehicle crime. More details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #301 on: September 25, 2007, 02:25:16 pm »
The local neighbourhood watch team needs a volunteer to act as area coordinator for the Bradmore Way and Peplins Way area. Click here for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Albert Ross

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #302 on: October 01, 2007, 01:42:18 pm »
Shame about the two burglaries in Westland Drive last week. That will increase the Police figures a little. Anybody got any news on suspects?

Offline PC Jo Wakelen

• Opinions on some things
  • Log on to message me using the email icon below
    • Hertfordshire Constabulary
« Reply #303 on: October 20, 2007, 09:36:43 am »
Hi folks,
Over the past couple of days Brookmans Park has been hit by burglaries and attempted burglaries.
Please can people be very vigilant.  If you see any suspicious vehicles or persons in the area, please contact us immediately.

If your neighbours are away could you please keep an eye on their property as well.

It appears that the people committing these burglaries are coming in by vehicle from the south London area.

Once again to contact us please dial 999 in the case of an emergency and 01707 638112 which will bring you directly into the Neighbourhood Officer.

Many thanks

Jo
PC Jo Wakelen, the community police officer for Brookmans Park and Little Heath. For all emergencies, please call 999. For non-emergencies, please calll 0845 33 00222. To contact our local office, ring 01707-638112.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #304 on: October 20, 2007, 09:41:00 am »
Our shop in Welham Green was broken into overnight! Police are on to it.

Offline Clean Up Kid

« Reply #305 on: January 23, 2008, 06:38:52 pm »
A friend of mine (a reliable source) has just notified me of a burglary in the Pine Grove area on friday night between 7.30pm and 10pm. There was also a police van called to a house in the same area last night, similar time, attending an activated burglar alarm. Does anybody know anything about these incidents?
In the first case, the burglar(s) entered through an open window, as well as cutting the wires to the alarm.
I hate it when things like this happen, I normally feel so safe in Brookmans Park, but I guess it's a reminder to be vigilant at all times....
And apparently the United Reformed Church was broken into recently too....

Offline hilarycarlen

• Mother Hen
  • The secret of life is compost.
« Reply #306 on: January 23, 2008, 09:47:09 pm »
And a house in The Gardens, last Tuesday.

Offline saffie

« Reply #307 on: January 26, 2008, 03:39:45 pm »
I thought I heard someone trying to get into our house last Sunday morning at about 1am.  We are in Oaklands Av.

Offline saffie

« Reply #308 on: February 19, 2008, 10:28:59 am »
Just to let you all know over the weekend someone tried to gain entry to our house by attempting to pull the handle off our UPVC Front Door.  About 4 weeks ago we had someone trying to get in the back door at about 1.30am in the morning too.

I am sure you all do but I got a reminder from the man who came to fix the door.  If you have a UPVC front door YOU MUST pull up the handle and deadlock it, otherwise these people ARE ABLE to get in.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #309 on: February 24, 2008, 07:27:15 pm »
The latest crime figures show an increase in domestic burglaries in Brookmans Park and those most vulnerable living in houses backing onto open spaces. Click here for more details or click here for the latest neighbourhood watch newsletter.

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #310 on: March 04, 2008, 05:09:53 pm »
Regarding local crime, i got off the train at brookmans park station last night at 6.05 ish and there was a guy in an illuminous yellow jacket in the car park.
I asked him what he was doing and he said he was security hired by British Transport Police to keep an eye on the car park...........................does anyone know anything about this please

Offline Custard

« Reply #311 on: March 05, 2008, 08:46:59 am »
I have seen two of them getting out of the green van with the flat tyres that looks like it has been dumped!

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #312 on: March 05, 2008, 10:13:24 am »
Regarding local crime, i got off the train at brookmans park station last night at 6.05 ish and there was a guy in an illuminous yellow jacket in the car park.
I asked him what he was doing and he said he was security hired by British Transport Police to keep an eye on the car park...........................does anyone know anything about this please

Proof positive that Network Rail owns the car park.  There has been recent debate on this Forum as to who owns the car park where there is/was an abandonded car.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #313 on: March 05, 2008, 10:55:27 am »
Unless the man in the fluorescent jacket was lying of course. ........ID shown at all?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #314 on: March 06, 2008, 10:40:01 am »
You can buy one of these jackets on the street market for a fiver!

Could be a useful addition to put in your car boot with the spare wheel in case you break down.  Hope that is not tempting fate.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #315 on: March 06, 2008, 10:50:35 am »
I remember a scam featured on 'The Real Hustle' on BBC3 that showed one of the presenters at a car park, dressed in an official looking high-vis coat. He would stand by the ticket machine and explain to people that the machine was out of order, however they were to pay him. He would issue a 'receipt' for people to display in their cars.

Of course, the 'receipts' were bogus and the car park attendant was a conman who had simply bought a book of receipts and a high-vis jacket which are obtainable anywhere. The motorists, having been conned, then later found they were issued with penalty tickets as they hadn't displayed a bona fide ticket !

So just because someone looks official doesn't mean they are !

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #316 on: March 20, 2008, 10:26:34 pm »
I don't want to trivialise the burglaries because I know how upsetting they are, but last Saturday morning I couldn't find my car keys.  Eventually, they were trapped down dangling from the door of the car, which was parked on the drive, close to the road, since Friday afternoon.  I don't think they would still be there if I lived in many areas in London.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #317 on: March 23, 2008, 10:11:32 am »
Brookmans Park News has fallen victim of another smash and grab raid, the fourth in recent years. Thieves used towing chains attached to their vehicle to tear back the protective shutters before smashing their way into the store. Click here for more details.

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #318 on: April 03, 2008, 12:31:57 pm »
I'm very concerned about the high level of burglaries of Brookmans Park shops. Over the past four months I believe that five of our village shops have been the victims of break-ins during the night.

I have organised a meeting with the Chief Constable at which I will be raise this issue, but since that meeting is not scheduled until May I am also today contacting him to express my concern and ask for an immediate update on the steps being taken to prevent these repeated attacks.

Grant Shapps MP

Offline AK

« Reply #319 on: April 11, 2008, 05:56:15 pm »
I have seen two of them getting out of the green van with the flat tyres that looks like it has been dumped!

Miracles of miracles. I actually saw this van move earlier this week. Walking into the parking lot after getting off the train, there it was... all 4 wheels inflated, the engine running and a man behind the wheel. It slowly eased forwards then went into reverse and headed down the parking lot. I was stunned. I though it had long ago been given up for dead.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #320 on: April 17, 2008, 01:34:41 pm »
AS I recall it was  a similar spate of such attacks that led to the well-supported public meeting a couple of years ago. The major beef was long response times (and I have to say a certain incredulity over the response times quoted by the police). If memory serves the gang were caught and the police might argue their detection is better than their own the ground coverage. It was this that led tot he call for more PCSOs and real police on the ground and I feel that has improved.

I know the Chief Constable has a priority of making people feel less fear about crime reflecting what he regards as falling crime figures so I will be interested to see what he says to Grant.

Offline PC Jo Wakelen

• Log on to message me using the email icon below
    • Hertfordshire Constabulary
« Reply #321 on: April 22, 2008, 08:19:36 am »
Hello,

There seems to be a new spate of burglaries occurring in Brookmans Park.  Yesterday on happened on Bluebridge Avenue and a man was seen in a garden on Peplins Way.

Descriptions were given and we attended, but unfortunately the suspects in both cases had made their way out of the area.

Please can I appeal to you all, be vigilant and report any suspicious circumstances or persons to police immediately.  Car indexes are very helpful as well as a description of the vehicle or person.

The people doing these crimes are favouring walking in from  and out of the open spaces such as Gobians, the railway line that backs onto Peplins Way and the golf course.

Dog walkers can you be especially vigilant and let us know of anyone who you don't recognise or seem to be out of place in the open spaces/footpaths around Brookmans Park.

Myself and the rural team are going to be patrolling the area, if you don't see us it doesn't mean we are there, were not always in uniform.

As for your own properties, please ensure everything is secure, if your going on holiday tell your neighbours or bring it to my attention and we will check the property on our patrols.

It is only a matter of time before we catch these people, but we would appreciate any help you can give us as a collective vigilant community.

Many thanks

Pc Jo Wakelen
PC Jo Wakelen, the community police officer for Brookmans Park and Little Heath. For all emergencies, please call 999. For non-emergencies, please calll 0845 33 00222. To contact our local office, ring 01707-638112.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #322 on: May 20, 2008, 06:39:10 pm »
From Herts police... not immediately local, but near enough to be worth publicising the appeal for witnesses

May 20, 2008
AGGRAVATED BURGLARY IN NORTHAW
By Corporate Communication Dept

AN INSURANCE company is offering a £30,000 reward for information leading to the recovery of undamaged jewellery and conviction of offenders following an aggravated burglary in Northaw, Potters Bar, on Friday, May 16.

The incident occurred between 9.05 and 11.02am when an offender gained entry to a property and threatened a man and a woman with a weapon. The offender then forced the man to a safe and several pieces of jewellery worth a substantial amount of money, cash and a set of car keys belonging to a silver BMW Z3 were taken.

The offender then made off in the BMW, registration ‘HS16’ along Coopers Lane.

Over 24 pieces of jewellery were taken including:

- 18ct pearl necklet with ruby diamond and pearl pendant
- Cartier watch
- Bulgari diamond set 18ct plaited earrings
- David Morris 3 piece set, gold twist necklace and diamond cross with matching ring and earrings

PC Kevin McEleavey is investigating and said: “I am appealing for members of the public who may have seen anyone acting suspiciously in the area prior to the incident, may have seen the distinctive silver BMW Z3 driving, possibly erratically, in the Northaw area or has any information about the crime to please come forward.

“We are also very keen to trace the jewellery so please get in touch if you can help.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact PC McEleavey on 0845 33 00 222 or alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

The insurance company Evergreen is now offering a reward of up to £30,000 for information leading to the arrest, conviction and recovery of the undamaged property.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 09:49:52 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #323 on: May 20, 2008, 07:32:40 pm »
Police have issued a warning to the public not to make life easy for burglars. In a news release sent to this site, Herts Police offer some simple tips for making it more difficult for would-be thieves. Click here for more details.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #324 on: May 20, 2008, 09:21:18 pm »
Aggravated
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #325 on: May 20, 2008, 09:50:42 pm »
Thanks Alfred, typo corrected.

:)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #326 on: July 20, 2008, 10:30:06 am »
Hertfordshire police say reducing the number of domestic burglaries is a priority, after figures reveal a 5.6% rise in break ins compared with the previous year. Officers say this is due to criminals from outside the county travelling to Hertfordshire to commit crime. Click here for more details.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 10:41:06 am by David Brewer »

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #327 on: July 29, 2008, 06:50:35 pm »
Just found this on the Welwyn Hatfield Times website

Click Here

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #328 on: August 12, 2008, 11:25:03 pm »
Has anyone else seen the cctv footage on the WH times website of the robbery at the Londis store in Potters Bar a couple of weeks ago.   The robbery looks similar in style to the robberies at the off licence and the newsagents in BP.  Interesting viewing.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #329 on: January 30, 2009, 05:12:09 pm »
The community police team has arranged a series of local monthly meetings to enable local residents to discuss issues that concern them.  Click here for more details.

Tags: