• Local crime meeting: May 11, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: June 08, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: July 06, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: August 03, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: September 07, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: October 05, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: November 02, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: December 07, 2009

Author Topic: Local crime and community policing  (Read 182712 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Local crime and community policing
« Reply #270 on: October 10, 2006, 11:48:54 am »
Hi Jitu,

Nice to hear from you. Thanks for the update.

I hope the new job is going well.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #271 on: October 19, 2006, 10:14:59 pm »
Welcome to PC Jo Wakelen who has just taken over this patch from Jitu Davé, who moved on last month. We have set Jo up with a forum account so that she can contribute to discussions about local crime, or other police business in the area.

Jo has recently produced her first neighbourhood watch newsletter in her role as the new community PC.  Click here to read it.

David
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 10:17:50 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #272 on: October 20, 2006, 06:12:31 pm »
Yes welcome Jo. Hope to see you about a lot.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #273 on: October 20, 2006, 08:27:12 pm »

Hello Jo, welcome to the community, it's good to see you on the website.

:)

Offline PC Jo Wakelen

• Opinions on some things
  • Log on to message me using the email icon below
    • Hertfordshire Constabulary
« Reply #274 on: October 21, 2006, 06:10:19 pm »
Hello Jo, welcome to the community, it's good to see you on the website.

:)

Many thanks for your welcome to both Brookmans Park and it's website.  It's much appreciated.
If you do have any problems or issues you would like me to deal with or give advice on then please don not hesitate to use this portal to contact me.

Again thank you for the welcome.
PC Jo Wakelen, the community police officer for Brookmans Park and Little Heath. For all emergencies, please call 999. For non-emergencies, please calll 0845 33 00222. To contact our local office, ring 01707-638112.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #275 on: October 24, 2006, 09:59:40 pm »
A couple of security warnings from Herts Constabulary....

October 24, 2006
MAKE SURE YOUR HOME IS SECURE
By Corporate Communication Dept

POLICE are reminding householders to secure their UPVC doors properly following a number of burglaries in Watford.

The doors involved are modern UPVC double glazed doors with multi-point locking systems. These systems have at least one bolt that engages with the keep in the frame, which helps to secure against intrusion.

By shutting them and lifting up the door handle, residents have been assuming the door is locked. However, only by locking with a key can they be sure the door is fully secure.

Area Crime Unit Detective Inspector Michael Trotman said: “Always use the key and double lock the door. It is important that UVPC doors are kept double locked even at night, by deadlocking. If you fail to do so, your door can be vulnerable. However, if householders decide to remove their keys, they must have a fire escape route planned.

“It’s a simple precaution that can help prevent your home being burgled.”

Hertfordshire Constabulary advises residents to:

- Always use the key – and double-lock the door.
- Use a letter cage on your letterbox for additional reassurance.
- It is important that UVPC doors are kept double locked even at night, by deadlocking.

If you have any information regarding the burglaries please call in the Western Area Crime Unit on 01923 472490 or 0845 33 00 222.

October 23, 2006
FOLLOW THE FIVE-STEP PLAN FOR HOME SAFETY THIS WINTER

THE CLOCKS are going back this weekend, and Hertfordshire Constabulary is urging local residents to be extra vigilant in the next few months by ensuring their homes are safe when the dark evenings are drawing in.

Hertfordshire sees an increase in burglaries every autumn/winter due to home-owners leaving their homes in darkness, attracting burglars. Having a light come on inside your home as it begins to get dark can significantly reduce the risk of it being targeted and police are encouraging residents to use timer switches for lights as well as TVs and radios etc.

County Crime Reduction Officer, Andy Reynolds, said: “It has been found that using inexpensive timer switches can greatly reduce the chance of you home being broken into.

“Fitting the switches to lights and radios and setting them to come on at the time it begins to get dark can give the impression to a burglar that someone is home.”

Hertfordshire Constabulary has devised a five-step plan to clamp down on burglary to ensure that home-owners are safe this winter:

1. Make sure ALL doors and windows are shut and secure when you leave the house.

2. Make sure your doors are fitted with appropriate locks and that they are double locked at night.

3. Use a UV pen to mark your property with your postcode and house number, making it easier for police to return to you.

4. Valuables are attractive to burglars if kept in sight through doors or windows – make sure yours are not visible.

5. Make house alarms visible to burglars.

For further home security advice, contact your local crime prevention officer on 0845 33 00 222.

Timer switches can be bought from most DIY and electrical stores. Consider using economy switces to save yourself money.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 05:40:53 am by David Brewer »

Offline PC Jitu Davé

• Those logged on can IM me (below).
« Reply #276 on: October 31, 2006, 09:53:20 am »
Dear all,

Please be aware of the following scam.

There is a current mobile phone scam circulating.

If you receive a phone call on your mobile from any person, saying that, he or she is a company engineer, or telling that they're checking your mobile line, and you have to press #90 or #09 or any other number. END this call immediately without pressing any numbers. There is a fraud company using a device that once you press #90 or #09 they can access your "SIM" card and make calls at your expense.

Regards.

Jitu DAVÉ

John_fraser

« Reply #277 on: October 31, 2006, 10:32:23 am »
A bit of a dead granny

www.snopes.com

Is this scam possible? Technically, yes. This trick can work on businesses, hospitals, government agencies, and other organizations that use telephone private branch exchanges (PBXs) to Telephone handle their calls (provided that pressing '9' is the signal to obtain an outside line, andthere are no restrictions placed on outgoing calls...

there is practically no chance that the scam outlined above could affect the average residential or cell phone customer.

But it is a very bad idea to what a cold caller asks you to, whatever the reason. Unless you have a good reason to trust them, don't.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #278 on: November 09, 2006, 08:27:27 pm »
UPVC door warning from Herts police.

November 9, 2006
IS YOUR FRONT DOOR UPVC?
By Susie ODea

IS YOUR front door UPVC? If it is, you may be unaware that it’s not enough to simply close the door and believe it’s fully locked.

In order to fully engage the locking system, always make sure you use the key to double lock it. This applies when you leave the house OR when you lock up for the night before you go to bed.

In many cases of burglary, it is possible that all burglars have to do is reach through the letter box and open the door from the inside. In many cases, the residents are asleep upstairs while their property is being stolen.

Pushing the handle up once you’ve closed the door is not enough. Because UPVC doors do not have a chubb-style lock, lifting up the handle once the door is closed does NOT double lock the door – but you may need to lift the handle up in order to complete the double lock. If in doubt, contact the manufacturers for more information.

Whether you share a house with family or friends, please make sure you make everyone aware that from now on, the front door will be double locked – and that they MUST double lock up themselves.

Also be aware of general crime prevention advice. Burglars are often opportunistic and will hone in on an unlocked back door or open window. Don’t make it easy for them.

For more information about crime prevention, go to www.herts.police.uk.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #279 on: December 12, 2006, 09:33:57 pm »
Police say there has been a significant fall in the numbers of house burglaries in Welwyn Hatfield over the year -- down by more that 35%. Click here for more details.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #280 on: December 13, 2006, 09:55:47 am »
It is all very well the police doing their job and arresting more villians, but what happens then?  A slap on the wrist and only if the ASBO, or whatever, is breached 50 times will the court system actually punish the criminal. 

I feel sorry for the police.

Happy Christmas!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 10:02:25 am by Bob Horrocks »

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #281 on: December 13, 2006, 06:36:38 pm »
If you are going to double lock the front door at night to keep out burglars, make sure that you leave the key in the lock just in case there is a fire at night. Check that a hand through the letterbox cant reach the key!
Just a thought.

Offline Gestapo

• Forum Member
« Reply #282 on: December 15, 2006, 07:41:04 pm »
If you are going to double lock the front door at night to keep out burglars, make sure that you leave the key in the lock just in case there is a fire at night. Check that a hand through the letterbox cant reach the key!
Just a thought.

May I suggest you DONT leave the key in the lock but take it with you so it is close to hand if you need it during the night.

Leaving a key in the lock will probably invalitdate your insurance if you are burgled.

John_fraser

« Reply #283 on: December 15, 2006, 08:58:07 pm »
It is all very well the police doing their job and arresting more villians, but what happens then?  A slap on the wrist and only if the ASBO, or whatever, is breached 50 times will the court system actually punish the criminal. 
How comes the jails are full?

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #284 on: December 16, 2006, 11:31:04 am »
How comes the jails are full?

Do you really want to know John?

Barnabus

[Edited to fix broken quote tag - John Fraser]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:57:20 pm by John Fraser »

Max

« Reply #285 on: December 17, 2006, 09:53:59 am »
I for one would love to know.

Do tell, Barnabus.

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #286 on: December 17, 2006, 12:16:16 pm »
Gestapo,

I  think that if I awoke in a panic because the house was on fire and needed to run out of the house immediately, I might just forget to take the key with me. Also, if I have children or guests staying, I would want them to be able to exit the house effortlessly.
Personally, I object to living my life according to insurance company rules. The key would be on the inside and not the outside of the door.
Just imaging hearing a noise downstairs, going down to investigate and meeting an intruder who trapped you by the front door which wont open as the key is not in the lock! Scarey!
Plastic doors can be opened quite quicky by a burglar with a blowlamp!

Offline Gestapo

• Forum Member
« Reply #287 on: December 19, 2006, 12:25:02 am »
It would still be more secure NOT to leave keys in doors or anywhere near a door.

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #288 on: December 23, 2006, 10:07:39 pm »
Thought I might just mention a group of teenagers/vandals in Welham Green tonight masquerading as carol singers (sic) called at my door which I didn't open - it's more like demanding money with menaces.  Anyhow, just to let you know that they pulled up my garden lights and chucked them around my front garden and broke them. Nice. So just a warning to let others know to be on the watch out for these or similar vandals.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #289 on: January 19, 2007, 05:41:19 pm »
Brookmans Park, Little Heath and Welham Green now have two dedicated Police Community Support Officers.

Both have already started introducing themselves to local shopkeepers and community groups.

Click here for more information.

John_fraser

« Reply #290 on: January 19, 2007, 05:50:35 pm »
It is now very much in the police’s interest not to provide us with any additional cover, because if they did it would send the message to other communities given such an offer that if they reject it they could get some proper police. I wouldn’t be too surprised to find the cover reduced further over the next few years and the same offer to be tabled again.

Anyone brought the condiments? Seems I have to eat my words  :-[

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #291 on: January 19, 2007, 08:03:08 pm »
Good to see the extra support. I believe PCSOs can do a job-heard very good things about those in Kings Cross. Not a job where you can pose around in your car though so welcome to Steve and Andrew and hope to meet you out on the street soon.

Not sure you were that far off John-the pay for your own PCSO offer has been made again but there is not much point the Parish Council considering it for a few years given the public response last time. If it were accepted we could have more PCSOs!! But who knows if we would have got any extra if we had agreed to pay for the first ones?

The Police Plan does include substantial increase in PCSOs throughout the area.

This of course is not the same as police officers but I think the Police would say it is their way of dealing with the limits on their budget imposed from above. I have no idea if our county manage their budget efficiently or not but no doubt they would say they do.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #292 on: January 23, 2007, 08:56:02 pm »
Just in from Herts Police.

January 23, 2007
DON’T FALL PREY TO ROGUE TRADERS AFTER WINDY WEATHER

POLICE are warning residents of Hertfordshire to be on their guard against opportunist rogue traders and distraction burglars in the aftermath of last week’s storm.

Across the county many people suffered damage to their properties and gardens during the gale-force winds which hit the area last Thursday, January 18. Police are now urging residents to be extra vigilant with doorstep callers and sellers who may not be offering bona fide work.

Detective Sergeant Shane Roberts heads up the police unit which investigates rogue trading and distraction burglaries. He said: “Following the horrendous weather which struck across the UK last week many people have suffered damage to their homes which will need repairing.

“You may need tradespeople to carry out work for you but you should be extra vigilant with doorstep sellers offering to do repairs. Our experience is that a large number of people who call at the door unannounced are conmen looking to exploit others – they conduct very poor and substandard work whilst charging extortionate prices.

“Remember, be very wary about buying from the door. Speak to a family member or close friend before you agree to any work being done. It is better to seek out a tradesperson yourself, on recommendation by someone you know if possible, and to agree a price before the work starts.”

He added: “If you believe that you have been ‘cold called’ do try to take a registration number of any vehicle they are using and any company name they are purporting to be working for. Report these details to the police on 0845 33 00 222.”

There have been no reports to police of this type of rogue trading to date but if anyone now has concerns about someone who has carried out work for them recently, phone the police non emergency number on 0845 33 00 222 or Hertfordshire Trading Standards on 08454 040506.

If you have concerns about any stranger calling at your door, call the police or trading standards. In an emergency dial 999. And if you have any information about rogue traders you can also call Crimestoppers in confidence on 0800 555 111.

.../end of police news release.

Offline bootneck

• Forum Member
« Reply #293 on: January 25, 2007, 12:49:38 pm »
For the last few weeks It has been noticeable how many HGV's break the law in using Welham Green as a short cut. There is a 7.5 ton limit on this road (Dixons hill) and as far as I can see the police are uaware of this breach. Can someone please do something now before a child or person comes to grief.

Offline daisy

• Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #294 on: February 07, 2007, 06:56:14 pm »

Today someone I know had their car stolen from off their driveway while they were out of the car scraping ice off the windows. Be careful that you do not leave your car running with doors open while you scrape ice off the car.   

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #295 on: February 07, 2007, 10:46:59 pm »
Not sure this should be on this thread but we fill a kettle with hot water and pour it over the windows of our car on frosty mornings - works a treat - and saves lots of hard work. Sorry to hear of your friends loss I hope it turns up soon.

Barnabus

Offline PC Jo Wakelen

• Log on to message me using the email icon below
    • Hertfordshire Constabulary
« Reply #296 on: April 05, 2007, 09:20:38 am »
Hi folks,

I have been reading this thread and thought I would give you an update.  Brookmans Park have one dedicated Police Officer which is myself and one PCSO who is Steve Harvey and I'm sure many of you have either met or seen us out and about.

However, we are part of the rural team and when we are not around PC Dave Wardell, PC Alex Kettle and PCSO's Mark Randall and Kelly Hanley also cover the area.  These other officers do have their own dedicated areas, but if one of us is off or not on duty for any reason then the others make sure the areas are all patrolled.  As to whether we would get another PCSO for the area is doubtful, but never say never.

I hope this information reassures the community that even if myself and Steve are not about other officers will be.

Thanks
Jo
PC Jo Wakelen, the community police officer for Brookmans Park and Little Heath. For all emergencies, please call 999. For non-emergencies, please calll 0845 33 00222. To contact our local office, ring 01707-638112.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #297 on: April 05, 2007, 06:29:01 pm »
Went to the launch of the Herts Policing Plan for the coming year last week. Great acknowledgement of the importance of local policing and what they call the reassurance gap between the fact of low crime and the high fear of crime.

The plan involves Safer Neighbourhood teams which i presume is what Jo has kindly described for us.

There is also talk of a Safer Neighbourhood Panel-people who would inform and have some input on how local policing is carried out. Not been able to find out who what or where our Panel is though. Can anyone (JO?) tell me the answer?

The number of PCSOs is still rising. Whatever people may think, that is the way policing is going and I welcome an increase.

kay barnes

« Reply #298 on: April 05, 2007, 06:46:17 pm »
The latest Neighbourhood Watch newsletter says house burglaries are on the increase.  Police also report an increase in bogus tradesmen calling door to door and preying on the elderly.  And police say some parents are failing to deal with what officers call 'nuisance youths' forcing the police to act as expensive child minders.  Any thoughts on local policing issues?  The latest newsletter is now online.  Click Here.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #299 on: April 17, 2007, 06:44:38 am »
Police say crime fell by 7.2% over the past year, with 718 fewer incidents that in the previous year. Click here for more details.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 07:43:48 pm by David Brewer »

Tags: