• Local crime meeting: May 11, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: June 08, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: July 06, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: August 03, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: September 07, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: October 05, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: November 02, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: December 07, 2009

Author Topic: Local crime and community policing  (Read 182442 times)

Offline Stevo

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
    • Herts Cycles
Re: Local crime and community policing
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2006, 04:24:16 pm »
If you want anymore information on what work the Specials do and how to join then feel free to drop me a message using the Personal Message

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2006, 04:41:21 pm »
Whilst I don't doubt that the work done by the 'specials' is highly valuable, I think the question originally was how could residents help protect their own community, ie Brookmans Park. I'm sure there are people who would be happy to patrol the area occasionally, acting as extra eyes and ears for the Police - but would not be able to commit to being a 'Special'

Offline PC Jitu Davé

• Those logged on can IM me (below).
« Reply #242 on: April 15, 2006, 11:01:08 am »
Hi all,

The other option to be "acting as extra eyes and ears for the Police" is to be involved in the Neighbourhood Watch Scheme which has been running in many parts of Brookmans Park. This does not involve too much committment. It can be as simple as taking interest in the locality one lives in. People keep an eye out for each other and notice unusual activities such as the presence of a car that has not been seen before or someone acting suspiciously. People then report such incidents to police on; 0845 33 00 222.

Recently, in Peplins Way, someone reported two persons on a moped in the area acting suspiciously. Enquiries revealed that it was a stolen moped.

PC Jitu DAVE

John_fraser

« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2006, 04:43:01 pm »
So I take it that PC Jitu's comment has effectivly killed AO's idea. Nice to know that the police will support the community when the community trys to support the police.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #244 on: April 19, 2006, 05:14:36 pm »
I think it might make sense to put any Herts Constabulary crime reports and crime alerts in another thread. That way this local discussion thread doesn't get hijacked and general crime discussion topics don't get buried.

I'll start a new thread called something like 'Police crime reports' when the next relevant news releases are sent in.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline PC Jitu Davé

« Reply #245 on: April 20, 2006, 02:09:16 pm »
Dear All,

I support the idea of people helping their community but it will be better if they did it properly for their safety and security. Hence the suggestion to join the Special Constabulary or being a part of the Neighbourhood Watch which is different from the Special Constabulary. I am quite happy to discuss this with anyone face to face.

Regards.

PC Jitu DAVE

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #246 on: May 08, 2006, 05:22:27 pm »
The latest Neighbourhood Watch Newsletter says discussions are underway about the possibility of a group being set up for Bradmore Green. The newsletter also contains a statement from Hetfordshire Constabulary about the proposed merger of forces. Click here for the newsletter.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #247 on: May 09, 2006, 06:01:20 pm »
Thank goodness the headlong rush to police merger has been slowed. I am sure the change of Home Sec will help since he has no reputation invested in this scheme and we can get back to local policing issues.

John_fraser

« Reply #248 on: May 10, 2006, 11:40:47 am »
My personal opinion is that the police forces are already out of touch with the communities they are supposed to police and larger forces will make little or no difference as they could hardly become more remote. Senior police object to mergers mostly because they see their own little empires being subsumed. But given this government’s hard won reputation for gross incompetence, I have little doubt that the mergers will lead to more waste, greater cost and ever more ineffectual policing. So hopefully you are right and the rush will be stopped.

Offline PC Jitu Davé

« Reply #249 on: June 06, 2006, 09:38:02 am »
Dear Readers,

Please be aware that cars parked in supermarket car parks are being targetted by criminals to steal laptop computers, digital cameras and computer equipments. Tesco and Sainsbury's car parks in Oldings Corner, Hatfield and Stevenage have been named but you should be conscious about all car parks. The fact that criminals still find valuables in cars proves that people are still not helping themselves and the police to prevent crime. No valuable property should be left on back seats of unattended cars.

Regards.

PC Jitu DAVE

Offline PC Jitu Davé

« Reply #250 on: July 21, 2006, 05:02:28 pm »
Dear Readers,

Just a reminder to be mindful about crime prevention. Due to hot weather people tend to leave their windows and doors open. Please ensure that there is someone in the house when this is done. Remember to shut them afterwards.

Also, remember to remove your satnav systems from the car when unattended. Two of them were stolen between 1 June and 20 July 2006.

Regards.

PC Jitu Dave

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #251 on: August 18, 2006, 04:21:27 pm »
Heard today about a community in Manchester who operate a text crime prevention system. anyone sees or hears anything they text the control and they text blanket to everyone. Everyone home then runs outside to see what they can see and hey presto crime has been reduced by 60%!!  sounds a lot better than our self made home patrol idea and cant be too hard for the police to set up and monitor?

John_fraser

« Reply #252 on: August 18, 2006, 04:32:16 pm »
I heard of one area where, when the residents observe a crime, they phone the police. The police then promptly send round a car and try to apprehend the perpetrator in the act, thereby gathering evidence and improving the odds of a conviction. Apparently the police there also deter crime by sending frequent random patrols through the area.

Not sure where that area was, but I think it was a very long way from here.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #253 on: August 18, 2006, 11:09:36 pm »
Nicely put John. Question is what do us fantasists do about it?

Offline PC Jitu Davé

« Reply #254 on: September 01, 2006, 07:10:25 pm »
Dear All,

I have come to know that a person or persons possibly of Iranian origin have visited addresses in Brookmans Park area asking people to donate money. Apparantely, they sound genuine. That may be the case, but I would advise people not to entertain such requests and certainly not give them any of your details such as your bank details, debit or credit card details or telephone numbers. We do not know or may not be able to find out to what use the donated money is put. I would , therefore, urge people to be very careful and not fall for the sob stories.

PC Jitu Davé

Offline David Noble

• Forum Member
« Reply #255 on: September 08, 2006, 12:54:00 pm »
I'm a new resident of Brookmans Park and have a young family. I would like to ensure that Brookmans Park remains a safe enviroment for everyone and would like residents thoughts in having our own security patrols. If spread throughout the community the cost per head is relatively small but the benefits huge. In addition the servce could be extended to a unique keyholding service that provides an incredible amount of value including such things a contractor vetting and housechecks. A friend of mine has introduced a similar scheme in Hadley Wood and it has cut aggravated burglary down to nil in the homes that subscribe to the scheme. 

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #256 on: September 08, 2006, 01:10:15 pm »
The idea of having additional PCSO presence (that we would pay for) has been discussed recently and after the Parish Council surveyed the area it has been decided not to proceed.

Are you suggesting private security guards ? Different to PCSO's I know but similar in that they are a visual deterrent.

Several people have suggested that if well off communities fund their own security all it will mean is that the police (who we pay proportionately more for) will do even less than at present.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #257 on: September 08, 2006, 01:56:24 pm »
Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. I have merged your posts with an existing thread on local crime and community police because it has also touched on these issues.

David

Offline David Noble

• Forum Member
« Reply #258 on: September 08, 2006, 02:10:42 pm »
Yes I mean a private security firm that we all pay for.  I have a few ideas though as to how this could be self-funded and could duplicate the model here but it would need the support of the community. I believe that we all must take responsibilty for our own family's safety. I would rather be pro-active in this respect rather than rely exlusively on a body, namely the police, that will continue to be under resourced.

John_fraser

« Reply #259 on: September 08, 2006, 02:44:23 pm »
David (Noble)

Perhaps it might be a good idea to detail how such a thing could be "self-funded". I'm sure if you sent them as an artical  to Dave (Brewer) he would be willing to on the front page of this site.

John

Offline David Noble

• Forum Member
« Reply #260 on: September 08, 2006, 02:48:32 pm »
Ok I will put something together.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #261 on: September 08, 2006, 03:21:16 pm »
David (Noble)

Perhaps it might be a good idea to detail how such a thing could be "self-funded". I'm sure if you sent them as an artical to Dave (Brewer) he would be willing to on the front page of this site.

John

Good idea John,

David, if you want to write something and mail it to me by using the forum form (click here) that would be great.

Thanks

David

LongTallSally

« Reply #262 on: September 08, 2006, 04:41:38 pm »
Hello David. Welcome to Brookmans Park.

I am very interested in how this would be self-funded, but aren't we letting the police off the hook?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #263 on: September 08, 2006, 05:36:01 pm »
Just a reminder that the Parish Council surveyed the 3,600 households in North Mymms parish in June/July.  The issue was whether people would be willing to pay in total about £16,000 a year for two years to fund a PCSO.  The police would fund the other half of the cost.  This would have been collected as part of your council tax and equalled about £8 a year for the highest council tax payers, less for lower tax band payers. 

The result was that 18% replied and only 339 said they would agree to this, less than 10% of households, so the idea was dropped.

This is not to say a private security arrangement would not work, of course.  But many said that they already pay enough for policing the area.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2006, 07:08:25 pm »
As I made clear in the debate over the PCSO I have some sympathy with David Noble's attitude that we either put up with the policing we are given or try to improve our local situation even if it does cost money. However, the idea that we should pay more does have problems- I mean firstly why should we? Our area probably contributes plenty in taxes to justify the expenditure on local policing we want.

Also although I had some messages from a guy in Kings Cross who said the local youth problems had been drastically reduced by lots of new PCSO's so they can work , they didnt have to pay towards the costs.

Also, the PCSO I saw recently in Brookmans Avenue was stuck between all the builders vans in his shiny PCSO police car-surely they should be dropped off in the morning and left to walk about the village all day-the ones in Kings Cross clearly got involved, as did Jitu of course.

Finally according to the new Policing Plan, they are planning to increase the number of PCSOs pretty dramatically anyway so why cant we have one or two "free".

My worry on all this as with any top-down change is it will take a couple of years. meantime do we want to do somethign or just sit and grumble? More info please David.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #265 on: September 15, 2006, 04:48:47 am »
Do we know who Jitu' replacement is yet?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2006, 05:59:47 am »
Do we know who Jitu' replacement is yet?

Hi Peter,

Jitu tells me it is PC Joanne Wakelen. I am waiting for an official announcement and intend to put a biog and photo on the site. Jitu has already been telling Joanne about the forum and I am hoping she will sign up and join in the local discussion about crime and policing in the area.

David

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2006, 07:31:56 pm »
thanks David.

Offline mungroo

• Forum Member
« Reply #268 on: September 28, 2006, 06:29:09 pm »
any idea when/if PC Joanne Wakelen is going to join the forum ?

Offline PC Jitu Davé

« Reply #269 on: October 10, 2006, 11:16:08 am »
Dear all,

I have some good news regarding the Co-Op shop. The work on new shutters will start this Friday.

PC Wakelen is away until 17th. When she returns, I will advise her to contact David.

I hope things are fine in Brookmans PArk.

Regards.

PC Jitu DAVÉ

Tags: