• Local crime meeting: May 11, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: June 08, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: July 06, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: August 03, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: September 07, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: October 05, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: November 02, 2009
  • Local crime meeting: December 07, 2009

Author Topic: Local crime and community policing  (Read 174706 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Local crime and community policing
« on: March 06, 2002, 01:29:44 am »
The latest Neighbourhood Watch newsletter says house burglaries are on the increase.  Police also report an increase in bogus tradesmen calling door to door and preying on the elderly.  And police say some parents are failing to deal with what officers call 'nuisance youths' forcing the police to act as expensive child minders.  Any thoughts on local policing issues?  The latest newsletter is now online.  Click Here.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 08:28:24 am by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Re: Local crime and community policing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2002, 12:11:35 pm »
As I said in a previous post, what chance has vojislav got?
Why do people use so called tradesmen who call at the door.
If they are unsolicited, i.e. you havent asked them to call they are COWBOYS to a man, they don't pay taxes, they have bogus insurance and a mobile number is a dead give away.
I doubt very much if the majority of "punters" in this area would be capable of dealing with these types when they start intimidating.
There are plenty of reputable tradesmen in the area, you may need to pay VAT but you will get what you ask for.
Be firm say no thanks and close the door, it is not rude, they have no business being on your property.
I had a no nothing from a large glazing company ask if I wanted to uprate my wooden doors and windows to P.V.C. my comment was why should I consider downrating from 50 year old wood to plastic which will in time discolour. He picked on the wrong chap when he tried to convince me of the thermal advantages. I am a Consultant Engineer, wooden frames are better! not many metal frames have a proper thermal "break"
So plan what you want, take time, get three prices, don't choose the cheapest!
Finally stop dealing with con men and they will go away!
regards,
jet
Use your eyes and ears, if suspicious, take reg. numbers and call the police. Do not be frightened to be wrong. You know it makes sense.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2002, 10:40:04 am by admin »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2002, 01:29:28 pm »
Simple ways to avoid unwanted callers:-
Put up a simple notice "no callers without appointment etc"
Answer door and say "no thanks I am on long distance call" close door ,they will go!
"no thanks my dad/son is in the trade".
" no thanks tyson my rotweiller won't let strangers work in the house"
If you are physically able, bore them into submission and try to sell them something, watch them scuttle away.
It goes without saying, doesnt it to keep door on the chain at all times!
Advise is given tongue in cheek with no liability accepted.
Make the police do their job if you are in any way concerned, don't forget you may be okay but they may be going to an elderly or less able neighbour next.
Lets clear these cowboys from our village.
If they don't get work they won't come back!
regards all,
jet
« Last Edit: July 19, 2002, 10:39:42 am by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2002, 10:23:16 am »
Hertfordshire Police Authority is considering plans for a more visible police presence aimed at reassuring local communities today.  The authority says the changes could revolutionise the way police services are accessed by the public throughout the county. more
« Last Edit: July 19, 2002, 10:39:22 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2002, 12:10:00 pm »
Not sure this is the right place to ask this question........but has anybody else heard really loud bangs the last couple of nights. Last night two very loud bangs that souned like shots at about 1am, and the night before, it sounded a bit more like fireworks at about the same time?

Also does any one know why Mymms Drive was closed off on Wednesday morning.  

But back on the police for a moment, I was amazed the other day, (wednesday morning) there police around because something was going on in Mymms Drive. I got a knock on my door, from a policeman asking if they Van over the Road belonged to anyone in my house. I said No, he said, well its parked too near the Junction and is causing a problem. So could I keep my eye out for the driver, and then ask him to move it!!  The policeman said he was too busy, but I hardly thought it fair of him to ask a "youngish" female, to go and tell some van driver to move his van which wasn't even outside my house!!!

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 12:37:27 pm »
Dear Anna,
Being a lightish sleeper, they woke me up, I thought it was thunder but as there was no lightening?
My wife asked the same about Mymms, I assumed they closed it due to the proximity to the road works?
As far as parked vans, well "contractors" have been obstructing the end of Mymms for months and causing an awkward situation.
Strange how its okay for school coaches to obstruct the end of roads :)
regards,
jet

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2002, 12:54:19 pm »
 My sources tell me that a group of men carried out burglaries along Mymms Drive on the wednesday morning. That is why the road was closed and the area has been under surviellance since.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2002, 02:22:31 pm »
STOP PRESS,
Bangs explained ???
Just found large recentley fired rocket in back garden!
Jokers about?
regards,
jet

Offline MC

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2002, 06:36:54 pm »
Well on the subject of mysterious local police-related events I have a story from a while back.

It was probably 2 or 3 years ago and I was sitting on the train at BP waiting for it to go.

As it pulled away the people in the two cars parked right in the middle of the car park got out. I had been watching them while waiting for the train and was curious who they were.  They were casually dressed but seemed organised and looked like they were waiting for something.

As the train pulled out they put on their little Police baseball caps and shouldered their machine guns.

Yes you read it right. These guys all had heavy duty weaponry. Unfortunately the spectacle unfolded out of sight for me because the train pulled away.

I've often wondered what it was all about. but i think it does prove the point that there's stuff going on all the time and mostly we are non the wiser. Makes you think though.

Mark

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2002, 09:00:05 pm »
Mark
Bit like the number of unmarked cars with big burly chaps wearing blue shirts that speed up and down Swanland Road with great regularity.    Always been curious to know what they were up to.
Mary

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2002, 09:23:06 pm »
I remember the stake out around the area of my house about 10 years ago, gun runners I believe, they stood out like a sore thumb, the police I mean.
Kids were walking past whistling Laurel & Hardy. ;D
We thought they were burglars and rang plod only to be told ignore them :o
This is not the sleepy hollow we all think it is, where does the dosh for some of these massive houses come from ???
regards,
jet

Offline Govvy

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2002, 05:19:11 pm »
I know the side round, next to A1, towards south mimms, The police have driving training down there, which must be part of thier route.

Just occurded to me, there might be a field or a place near by B.P that they could be using for training. It be intresting to know. But this is only one of the many thoeries that pass through my head. I am sure I lost half my marbles know ???

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2002, 01:35:54 am »
My sources tell me that a group of men carried out burglaries along Mymms Drive on the wednesday morning. That is why the road was closed and the area has been under surviellance since.

That's what I've heard - a policeman was wandering around Welham Green station when I came home on Friday, and said that there had been a 'major robbery' in Brookmans Park on Wednesday and that a getaway vehicle had been found dumped in Holloways Lane near the station in Welham Green.
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2002, 04:58:08 pm »
Has anyone seen a lid-less dustbin with a broken handle?!?!?!?
I arrived at my office this morning to find a black bag of rubbish on the ground where my dustbin used to live. It was previously CHAINED to a cast iron downpipe with the chin also going around the lid and now some ba**ard has nicked the bin!!!!!!
The handle must have ben cut off to remove the bin.
I do still have a very useful lid!!!!!!
CHarming. >:(

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2002, 05:52:12 pm »
I can sell you a new one at a reasonable commission with survey included if you like :) subject to "con"tract of course and as seen ;) Perhaps someone is now living in it ???
regards,
jet

Offline MC

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2002, 01:31:46 am »
is that on a sole agent basis or can we all bid for the business? Based on the £ per sq footage that prices have reached around here I reckon a new bin should be about £250

Sparkie

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2002, 11:22:25 am »
Living in a bin, Luxury My Lad.

I trust they are paying their council tax.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2002, 12:09:53 pm »
Would this bin best be described as detached, semi detached or open plan as it has a roof and no sides which would still be perfectly marketable nowadays.
Joking aside it is still theft and no laughing matter to the owner who I trust will reallise that no offense is intended and that his loss is not funny.
I will be on the lookout.
Good job this receptical was not "bin" laden with rubbish
or we would be searching for an ur"bin" terrorist.
Enough :) :) :) :)
regards,
jet

Sparkie

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2002, 05:58:58 pm »
Obviously, it's a Mobile Home.  :D

Best regards

Sparkie

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2002, 06:52:05 pm »
Your jokes are "rubbish". This is a very serious matter. I have lost my treasured dustbin which I have had for years. I was only asking everyone to be on the lookout for a one handled bin without a lid - I didnt expect a barrage of crap jokes - do you have no compassion?  All this crap when I have no bin to put it in!
Please be on the lookout for anyone struggling around with a detached black one handled lidless bin - esp if they have a second hand strimmer with them at the time - that belongs to Brian!

P.S. Second hand padlock and chain for sale with fitted lid.     ;)

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2002, 07:05:12 pm »
Typical Estate Agent :o self self self.
Have you no feelings for the poor bin, you should take better care of your property. :o
As you should be well aware theft is the responsibility of the owner, not the poor criminal who only commits a crime because of careless security >:(
The person who stole it needs counselling and help, possibly a holiday in the West Indies with all the other E.A.s ;) Has the bin gone or have we all bin had. Have the CIA got it ??? Aliens ???
regards,
jet
PLease note that the above is meant within a satirical context and is not a reflection on E.A.s who are fine, upstanding members of society providing a service that every one uses.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2002, 05:33:50 pm by jet »

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2002, 07:21:44 pm »
Jet,
I think we need to put the lid on this one now. It is, after all, only a dustbin - a nice dustbin which I have had for many years - but it is still on ly a bin.
I shall pop off to see if Brian can find me a new 2 handled bin to fit my lid - when I have a few hours to spare.
The point is, where do these scum bags come from? and why do they refuse to behave?
Nuff said -next topic please.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2002, 08:42:43 pm »
To you its just a bin, to me its a theft in the community which we all share and care for.
I REFUSE to give up my quest for the BIN, even though it has BIN missing for severall days, I will not put a LID on it as it WHEELY is quite serious  and I hope it will not lead to a CHAIN of BIN thefts.
You cried out in the dark despond of despair and your plaintive call has been heeded.
I suggest a reward for info leading to the arrest of the thief, I only pray we are not too late and it has gone to that great DUMP in the sky.
regards,
jet
Possibly my last word on the subject :D As it is a WASTE of time
« Last Edit: November 05, 2002, 11:52:37 pm by jet »

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2002, 04:00:58 pm »
Perhaps this was linked to the other spate of thefts we had last Saturday.  Alldays was broken into, they tried to break into Brookmans Park News and they broke into the Grocers stealing all the charity boxes - what a bunch of B********.

Aidan

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2002, 04:17:06 pm »
THanks for the info Aiden,
No doubt the bas**rds were not prepared, and wanted my bin to put the stolen goods in!

Offline Aloo

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2003, 11:06:20 am »
Not sure if I have should have registered this under  different thread but thought it worth noting the following:

Last Sunday morning at approx. 10.30 there was an man is his 40's/50's sifting through the receipts from around the cash machine outside the post office.  

The man did not look particularly "shifty" but it was clear he was not a council cleaner either.    It may be that he was a civic minded person clearing up other people's rubbish, but I doubt it.  

I think the cash machine receipt removes four digits of the account number details, nevertheless  i thought it worth recording the incident here, if only to ask that we beware of discarding the receipts from the cash machine.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2003, 11:22:52 am »
Hi Jay,
The press office for the Alliance & Leicester say there is nothing on the receipts that could lead to a criminal being able to draw money out of an account.  There are other scams in operation however and a warning was recently published on this site.  Click here for more details

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2004, 06:50:09 pm »
The latest crime figures have just been published in the local neighbourhood watch newsletter.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2004, 11:26:37 am »
Police are warning local residents to make sure garden sheds are secure. Officers say there is usually an increase in thefts during the spring. More details.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 05:23:52 pm by admin »

Offline john

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2004, 11:53:34 am »
and there'll be the usual spring-time spate of fly-tipping of:    local garden rubbish, the by-products of spring-renovated kitchens, bathrooms, ... ?

Tags: