Author Topic: Short and long walks in the local countryside  (Read 206440 times)

Offline southbury

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Short and long walks in the local countryside
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2005, 07:19:07 am »
Hi David.. not sure of the walk number but this looks like the field that runs to the north of Peplins Wood on the path that heads down towards the railway at the back of the community centre ?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2005, 07:38:12 am »
Spot on. The picture is taken at point 21 on the directions attached to Walk Ten. Click here for Walk Ten. I didn't think many would recognise that path.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2006, 02:56:44 pm »
Can anyone recognise this point along one of the 12 local walks on this site? If so, can you say where the photograph was taken and on which walk? No prizes, just a bit of fun.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 05:16:00 pm by Editor »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2006, 04:53:52 pm »
Walk Two is great at this time of the year. Many of the trees are covered in fresh buds (we used to call them sticky buds as kids). There are catkins on many of the bushes. The paths are fairly dry just now. If it stays dry this weekend it's worth doing. Click here for step-by-step directions for Walk Two.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 04:55:05 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2006, 03:24:51 pm »
We did Walk Four today and it's a pleasant 45 mins walk without rushing. The section of path between the farm and the Beehive pub needs a bit of upkeep. There are no stiles and you have to negotiate one farm gate, but it is easy to push open. The final stretch back to Little Berkhamsted has been sectioned off as a bridle path and, although dry and firm now, could probably become muddy after rain. Walk Four has the benefit of a pub at the start and finish and one half way round. The bridge, pictured below, is in Buck's Alley Wood. Click here for directions for Walk Four or, if you want to see all the 12 walks in this series, click here.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 03:45:04 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2006, 10:28:24 pm »
Wish I had time to walk during the daytime.......sniff  :'( :'( :'(
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2006, 06:04:24 am »
Wish I had time to walk during the daytime.......sniff  :'( :'( :'(

That's the beauty of working from home.

;)

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2006, 12:46:13 pm »
Get a proper job!

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2006, 09:14:09 pm »
I do work from home!!!! But am rarely finished before tea time.
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2006, 09:51:35 pm »
I do work from home!!!! But am rarely finished before tea time.

Have a word with the boss and see if you can work flexi-time.

;)

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2006, 02:20:36 pm »
The lower part of the bridlepath on Walk Five has been repaired (the section near where there is the red Walk Five written on the map below), making it much easier to walk and far less muddy. There are still a few puddles, but you can get past them. The walk is a really good stretch with a good length of the route uphill. Well worth putting the boots on.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2006, 01:50:50 pm »
Just had a great walk, in between showers, along one of my favourites, Walk Two - click here for details.

Really worth putting the boots on.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2006, 10:52:27 am »

Re the direct path from Hawkshead Road into Gobions Wood - we went there again today (good hard underfoot in the frost).  The exit from the field into the wood is still closed, though people are clearly using it.  There's a helpful notice just inside the wood, saying that careful walkers are welcome in Gobions Wood, but that the fence belongs to the Royal Vet, and use of their land should be agreed with them.

The path appears to be open again and well used.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2006, 02:39:58 pm »
For all those who work from home or are retired and able to walk during the week, here is a walking tip.

If you fancy a walk to Wild Hill, there is an excellent bus service (the 201) which will bring you home.

It runs from Wild Hill, to Brookmans Park on Tuesdays and Fridays.

There are only two buses a day, so you need to be spot on with your timing, but, if you plan your walk (and drinking) well, you can  catch the 13.44 from Wildhill getting to Brookmans Park village by 13.59.

Walks from Wild Hill include:

The walk from Brookmans Park to Wild Hill takes about an hour. There are several routes along lanes or footpaths.

David

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 02:56:50 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2006, 12:13:49 pm »
The Royal Veterinary College (RVC) has confirmed that an unofficial short cut to Gobions Woodland Trust land from an RVC field is NOT a permissive route. The college is urging walkers not to stray from the official path.

Some walkers taking Footpath 11 (FP11) north west from Folly Arch across RVC land have been turning right, just after a crossing point between two fields, in order to access Gobions.

In fact, so many seem to be doing this that the right turn appears to be the main route, with the official FP11 hard to make out as it continues its way across two fields.

This site looked into the right-of-way issue after being sent an article which has been published on the website of a local walking group and which claims that the RVC had "granted permissive rights over the spur path to Gobions Wood". But the RVC denies the claims and repeated that walkers do not have permission to take the short cut.

Click here for more details.

You can also click here for a photo gallery of the route in question.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2006, 07:55:49 pm »
I've added a poll to try to assess how many forum users walk the unofficial path across RVC land into Gobions Woodland.

Click here to access the poll.

The poll is locked so that people can vote, but can't comment. All comments should be added to this thread. This is just so that the whole thing doesn't get too messy.

:)

David

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2006, 03:21:18 pm »
I just wanted to congratulate David on the photos.  They made the walk look easy to find, and almost inspired me to go out and try it today.  If only it wasn't so darned hot!!!    8)

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2006, 08:57:52 am »
I was very interested to see that the unofficial path from the RVC  through Gobions has gained attention again as it did in the 1970's!  The RVC tactic in those days was to put a sign up saying 'You are going the wrong way! You are trespassing!' This didn't work - someone  took the signs down! The next tactic was to place rolls of barbed wire in the fence or be threatened by a very grumpy farmer in a green Landrover who would scream the riot act! In retaliation, someone kept cutting the wire! After about six months continually repairing the fence the style miraculously re-appeared! The RVC finally gave up! Lets face it, what harm is it doing? - a few hundred yards short cut or walk a mile. Its obvious which  path people would take. Long live the style and all who clamber over her!

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2006, 10:25:44 am »
Check out the 28 June Minutes (item 14d) of North Mymms Parish Council (www.NorthMymmsPC.ukf.net).  NMPC queried the temporary closure of this stile and received a reply from the RVC on the lines set out in the main article on this topic. The RVC asked if NMPC would support a diversion of this footpath through the wood as being the preferred route for most walkers.  A letter of support has been sent to the RVC   ;D  but it will take a long time for the process to happen. 

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2006, 06:26:24 pm »
Hi i am new to this.

Is it me or is it relatively easy to get lost in Gobions Wood? That way, Walk Ten seems much longer than 5 miles. Could the instructions be more clear? There are actually several local nture reserves in the area and Gobions wood is not clearly defined. Along the narrow path, do you go across the field, or do you completre ignore this path and go through the dry stream?

It seems very overgrown on other parts of the walk. I am not complaining, just pointing out.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2006, 07:23:06 pm »
Hi Local Walker,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry you got lost. Yes, I think it is easy to get lost in Gobions Wood, although if you stick within the fenced boundaries you should be okay.

Message me by through the forum by clicking here and emailing me so that I know where you went wrong and I will try to point out what you should have done.

Thanks for the feedback.

David

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2006, 09:49:13 pm »
need machete  :)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2006, 10:04:14 pm »
If you need a machete you know you have wandered off the path.

;)

David

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2006, 10:12:23 pm »
Perhaps Local Walker is saying he needs a machete now!   Is he still in the woods?!!  Do we need to send out a search party?!!!

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2006, 10:14:38 pm »
Does he know about the Beast of Brookmans Park?!!!!!!!! :o

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2006, 10:39:47 pm »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2006, 06:55:23 am »
I hope that is not the demise of Local Walker.

;)

I've checked the text of Walk 10 and made some changes in an attempt to make it clearer. I think parts were a bit vague, hopefully it is clearer now.

Click here for Walk 10.

By the way, thanks for the feedback, Local Walker, it's always helpful when people point out where the walks can be improved.

Cheers

David

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2006, 10:41:57 am »
Just a thought, maybe you could start a walk taking in the interesting features of Gobions Wood and surrounding nature reserves etc

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2006, 10:58:19 am »
Good idea. I know they do guided walks for schools from time to time.

There is some good stuff about the history of Gobions here. (click on the titles below)

David
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:04:56 am by David Brewer »

moggins

« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2006, 09:35:58 pm »
Myself and the wife thought we would take advantage of the lovely evenings we've been having recently,so went out for a walk.
Unfortunately we discovered that whereas last year we were able to use a footpath running from the Warrengate Farm past the small cottages (with old tractors in front  back garden) to a small copse of trees on a small hill . If memory serves me right one footpath took you along the river towards Water End and one took you to the field where Gordon the horse was resident, Tonight though it looks like these signposted footpaths have gone under the plough,  could I ask someone on this forum how to get this situation rectified, it is still possible to get to water end by walking right along the edge of the field but this is fraught due to the large clods of earth left littered over the surface by the errant ploughperson.
Can you feed a ploghman his luunch. (very bad pun)

Tags: