Author Topic: Short and long walks in the local countryside  (Read 197400 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Short and long walks in the local countryside
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2005, 10:40:53 am »
Hi Moggins, welcome to the forum. Let us know how you get on with the other walks.

By the way, were you on walk five between 2-3 on Monday. I saw two couples with rolled up print-outs of the walks. One couple was walking a black and white dog and the other couple wore navy blue kagouls.

We might add a few more walks to the series this summer, if time allows. Watch this space.
 :)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2005, 04:03:28 pm »
If anyone wants to get away from the crowds on Bank Holiday Monday, we've just published a brand new, four mile walk starting and finishing at the Candlesticks pub at West End. It's an excellent walk over wooded, undulating countryside, and over several streams. There are three opportunities for refreshments (pubs) along the way and the whole walk takes between 2-3 hours (slow speed).

Click here for the map and directions for Walk 11 - Rolling hills, footbridges, kingfishers, and herons

Here are a few images taken along the way.

:)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2005, 03:56:26 pm »
Walk 6 has been extended to offer more of an attractive path that runs behind Woodside Place Farm and along the ridge route that ends at the lane between Wild Hill and West End. Click here for the walk.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 04:10:27 pm by Editor »

Max

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2005, 11:43:21 am »
I am increasingly impressed with this site. What an excellent feature this is! Having spent the first 18 years of my life in BP, and still visiting as frequently as my circumstances allow, I must admit that I have not done even half these walks, and greatly look forward to rectifying this state of affairs, especially as they have all been sufficiently well thought out as to pass by at least one reputable pub!

One thing I was wondering is what the condition of the swallow holes these days. My friends and I often went there to play as kids, and I was always struck by the fact that the area was a virtual rubbish tip (the last time I was there was probably about 35 years ago). I would be very happy to hear that they have been cleaned up. Of course, I can go and see for myself next time I visit the UK, but that will not be for another year.

Another question, somewhat trivial, but never mind. When I lived in BP, Gobions had a lake. I see that this has now been downgraded to a pond. When did this occur and why? I mean, OK, it isn't up there with Lake Michigan, and probably doesn't have a monster, but I always thought that ponds were like the thing where my offspring bother the local amphibia in my Mum's back garden. I'll always think of it as a lake, whatever anyone else says!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 12:02:41 pm by Max »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2005, 03:32:47 pm »
My wife Cath and I did the new walk 11 last Sunday and we reckon it is the best one yet!  The Candlestick was very nice too, (hope that is not removed since no advertising is allowed on the website)  The walk lived up to the Editor's description and we even watched part of a cricket match at Essendon.  No kingfishers were seen but never mind.  The almshouses on School Lane Essendon were an unexpected discovery.

Offline gudgeinca

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2005, 10:48:39 pm »
I may have to come on one of these walks, providing of course a stop at a local hostelry

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2005, 04:42:14 am »

My wife Cath and I did the new walk 11 last Sunday and we reckon it is the best one yet!

Hi Bob,

Yes, I particularly enjoyed putting together Walk 11. It seems to have everything. For those wanting to try it you can click here for the map and directions for Walk 11.

David

Max

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2005, 08:40:18 pm »
Having spent almost half my life in and around Brookmans Park, I was amazed to see, in the postcard section, a photograph of the bridge at North Mymms House over the River Colne. Amazed because I have absolutely no Idea where this rather attractive looking spot is, nor how to get there, and I would not have thought there were any local beauty spots that I did not know. Could someone please inform me where it is and how you get there?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2005, 11:44:32 pm »

Having spent almost half my life in and around Brookmans Park, I was amazed to see, in the postcard section, a photograph of the bridge at North Mymms House over the River Colne. Amazed because I have absolutely no Idea where this rather attractive looking spot is, nor how to get there, and I would not have thought there were any local beauty spots that I did not know. Could someone please inform me where it is and how you get there?

Hi Max,

It is just behind the Octagonal Lodge. You cross a smaller bridge from where you can view the bridge in the postcard as you drive towards North Mymms church.

Here is the map from Walk One. Click here for Walk One. The bridge is just to the left of the two small grey dots just above the 'start and finish' text.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2005, 10:16:31 pm »
I did Walk Five again today and it's very muddy in places. The worst bit is just below this tree as you head down to the River Lea (near the brown number 75 on the map below). Wellies will be needed if we have more rain. If anyone has any comments or tips on the walks (such as signs missing or paths ploughed up etc) please add the notes to this thread.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2005, 02:44:00 pm »
Walk 11 is still good, though the tree is still there across the path but it is no problem.  My wife and I did that walk this last weekend and can recommend it.  However the suggested diversion into Little Berkhamstead is more than a few yards!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2005, 02:50:07 pm »

However the suggested diversion into Little Berkhamstead is more than a few yards!

Perhaps, but it seems shorter on the way back after a visit to the pub -- the purpose of the diversion.

;)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2005, 02:01:58 pm »
We did Walk Seven this morning, despite the early mist. The area of the path which used to be extremely muddy has been filled in with rubble and now provides an excellent surface for walking. Well worth doing, although there are still some parts that will be muddy after rain.

I've also added a short detour to the walk, which will make a change for those who have already walked the original route. If you want to try the detour, follow the green dots on the map below.  Click here for directions for Walk Seven.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2005, 10:27:20 am »
A reminder about the Quiz Walk taking place November 5. (taken from this site's What's On Diary)

North Mymms Quiz Walk on 5/11/05 starts at Brookmans Park station between 10am and noon.

A leaflet describing this walk was put through your letter box in the last few weeks.  If you have not tried this walk already why not try it on Saturday 5 November.  It officially starts and ends at Brookmans Park railway station, but you can join it anywhere on the route.  There will be people at the station approach between 10am and noon with extra copies of the walk guide.

This gentle 3-mile countryside walk is mainly off the road.  Paths may be muddy and uneven so please wear suitable clothing and footwear.

The quiz and answers are on the leaflet – it is not a competition.   Just enjoy the local countryside and discover some of its history.

The walk is a bit like, but not completely the same as, Walk Three in this site's series.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2005, 02:52:53 pm »
Click here if you need for more details about the North Mymms Quiz Walk.

You can also click here to see to see the front page of the brochure, or you can click here for the back page.

When the pictures download, you should be able to click on them to make them full-screen.

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on many things
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2005, 04:23:02 pm »
Editor,

I'm a little concerned with the use of the term 'Walk' as I feel it might discriminate against people who prefer or are forced to make their way by other means.  The term 'Walk' has anti-social connotations and should be avoided.  What we are really talking about are Perambulations (Circular) with Map and Directions, PCMAD for short.  Please use this abbreviation in all future references.

Incidentally I have been on nearly all of your PCMADs and have enjoyed them all.  Carry on the good work! 

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2005, 04:26:33 am »
Editor,

I'm a little concerned with the use of the term 'Walk' as I feel it might discriminate against people who prefer or are forced to make their way by other means. The term 'Walk' has anti-social connotations and should be avoided. What we are really talking about are Perambulations (Circular) with Map and Directions, PCMAD for short. Please use this abbreviation in all future references.

Incidentally I have been on nearly all of your PCMADs and have enjoyed them all. Carry on the good work!

Hi ADM,

Glad you are enjoying the walks. They are the result of several years exploring the local countryside - and pubs.

For some strange reason I notice that the walks I wrote up and the maps I drew tend, in most instances, to go clockwise.

Of course, you can always do them anti-clockwise. Then the walk could be termed an anti-PCMAD, which might make you more comfortable - worth a try anyway.

;)

David

Richard Bennett

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2005, 11:50:13 am »
Walking today (13/11) down from Hawkshead Road (near Folly Arch) into Gobions Wood ...

The entrance to the wood normally has a stile, but this has been fenced off, and the top rail of the fence has a notice that says the wood is Private.  Anyone know why?  Is this the Vet College blocking off a popular (even if unofficial) path, or Gobions Woodland Trust trying to keep people out? 

Either way, it's a pity because it spoils a good walk, and it's a real inconvenience, since you don't find out till you get down there and there's no good way round.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2005, 10:16:53 am »
The offically recognised public footpath goes from Hawkshead Road to the first stile, on which you will see a 'way mark' pointing directly across the field to a double stile each side of a brook.  Nobody uses that official path.  The official path goes straight ahead to an official stile which also has a 'way mark' going into the edge of Gobions Wood and goes alongside the filed to your left.  This goes to Bluebridge Rd next to the bridge over the stream.

The path that people, including me, use to get into Gobions Wood is not 'official' (whatever that means in this context) neither is the stile which has been closed off.

I am assured by Gobions Woodland Trust that they did not close this access point.

Richard Bennett

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2005, 04:46:25 pm »
So it was the Royal Vet who closed it?   (I realise I'm assuming there's no third party!)

Odd, since the Royal Vet's ploughman carefully left the track of the unofficial footpath unploughed down to the now-blocked stile.  Do we have any readers with a role in the Royal Vet who might be able to get an explanation? or ideally reverse the closure?

Offline john

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2005, 04:50:49 pm »
Hi Editor !    just sent in a contribution on this but it doesn't seem to have appeared ?  yet ?
bw  - john

Offline brookmans.com tech support

• Administrator
  • Opinions on some things
  • James Bentall
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2005, 06:06:51 pm »
John,

There's no reason why it shouldn't have appeared.. can you try posting it again- if it still doesn't appear, try instant messaging me through the forum and I'll see if I can post it on your behalf.
Brookmans Park Community Website - content created by the community for the community

Offline john

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2005, 06:49:28 pm »
by "posting again ...", do you mean there's some Cunning Retrieval Gizmo that can be engaged ?   or do I have to settle down to try to remember and re-type my piece of "deathless prose" ?   (so deathless it IS ... by an AMAZING coincidence ... ?!)

bw  - j

Offline brookmans.com tech support

• Administrator
  • James Bentall
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2005, 10:02:47 am »
by "posting again ...", do you mean there's some Cunning Retrieval Gizmo that can be engaged ? 

Unfortunately not - it's the retyping option I'm afraid....
Brookmans Park Community Website - content created by the community for the community

Richard Bennett

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2005, 06:25:53 pm »
Re the direct path from Hawkshead Road into Gobions Wood - we went there again today (good hard underfoot in the frost).  The exit from the field into the wood is still closed, though people are clearly using it.  There's a helpful notice just inside the wood, saying that careful walkers are welcome in Gobions Wood, but that the fence belongs to the Royal Vet, and use of their land should be agreed with them.

It would be helpful if someone from the Royal Vet could explain what they want to happen here, given that the route is clearly popular.  They have made no attempt to redirect walkers down the official path.  The unofficial path has been open as long as I've lived here (20+ years) with various forms of stile provided by RVC in their fence, so they've scarcely been zealous to close it previously - is there some equivalent of squatters' rights for walkers?

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2005, 10:37:11 am »

Offline john

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2005, 12:17:17 pm »
at last being now indoors in the warm, I can try to remember the gist of what I set out in an e last week, and which somehow didn't appear/ get posted ...
As Bob has said, the way from Hawkshead Road to Gobions is to follow FP11 ...
Yes unfortunately numbers of people turn in to Vet College fields, and set off:  here down FP11,  .... off in to the fields, run their dogs off free ... , ... pushing through hedges/ fences/ over ditches, pulling out posts, cutting wire, smashing/ pulling out notices, dropping/ leaving behind rubbish ... short-cutting in to Gobions.   
We continually watch these goings on (alongside the other countryside issues of fly-tipping, neighbour hedges that disappear ... alongside attempts to nibble in to our fields ... etc etc)  with a varying combination of resignation/disappointment/ bitter humour, given that so many people appear to espouse their green/ conservation/ principles, but ...   
Over the years we have & will regularly make-good  (while expecting things not to last ...
So the simple point is:  do please carry on using FP11 to enjoy Gobions (we're waiting to hear that HCC's proposal to replace stiles with kissing gates by Easter 2005 will still go ahead or not ...)       But the "trespass short-cut" is quite simply that ... 

and now to click on POST again ...  Fingers crossed

Richard Bennett

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2005, 05:15:15 pm »
Thanks, all and especially John.  And yes, the misuse of other people's land and fences annoys me too. 

The National Trust approach seems to be to tackle the difficulties by good signage and robust equipment.  Could Gobions Woodland Trust and RVC club together and put in a strong stile with an ample dog gate?   And a notice that says the path is unofficial but permitted by the RVC, with whatever legal terms are needed?

Offline eric

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2005, 01:23:05 pm »
I must need better glasses     I read it that Johns saying that theres no permission to have this sort of path thats just being trampled down by trespassers     
My friends in Derbyshire tell me tghat some public rights of way have been moved to meet current leisure demands rather than just carrying on with illogical old routes that took field workers or quarrymen to places of employment long since gone    Are there chances round BP ?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2005, 03:07:25 pm »
Can anyone recognise this point along one of the 12 local walks on this site? If so, can you say which walk it was taken on and at what point along that walk was the photograph taken?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 04:46:32 pm by Editor »

Tags: