Author Topic: Short and long walks in the local countryside  (Read 196337 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Short and long walks in the local countryside
« Reply #180 on: July 30, 2011, 04:26:20 pm »
Here is a really nice walk from Brookmans Park over the fields and hills and back. Recommended.

Click view full / map options / hybrid / close map options. About 6.5 miles. Had lunch at the Woodman Water End.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #181 on: October 16, 2011, 01:30:53 pm »
Nice to see people out and about enjoying the local walks today.

We did one of our favourites from the 12 local country walks collection.

Here is a little quiz. I took some snaps along the way. Anyone know which walk it is?

A clue, you don't actually use the stile, it is just off the main track.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Aqila

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #182 on: October 18, 2011, 11:23:46 pm »
Hi David

Good to bump into you on Sunday and put a face to a name! I guess  that excludes me from your quiz, as I know which walk it must be! (Though I don't recognise any of your photos!)

It was a great walk and we really enjoyed it.  We did manage to get a table at the pub afterwards, but strongly recommend booking well in advance in the future.

Thanks for all your efforts in documenting these walks, and all the work you put into the website.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:32:19 pm by Aqila »

Offline trekbat

• Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2011, 09:46:18 am »
People who like rambling or birdwatching may want to visit the New Barnfield hill area before it gets developed (HCC want to build an incinerator, WHBC also have plans).

On a clear day there are views of St Albans, Shenley and Welwyn Garden City.

However, it's likely to be rather muddy after the rain.

There are some views of the area below.

http://www.hatfield-herts.co.uk/gallery/gallery-barnfield.html

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2011, 12:04:05 pm »
Trekbat's link shows some pictures of Bunchleys Pond.  Does anyone know how it got its name or anything about its history?

There was a clean-up of the pond earlier this year organised by Hatfield Town Council I think.  Cath and I went to have a look at it.  Several anglers were there some having fished there for many years.  To get to it you follow a path close to the a1001 roundabout going towards the cemetery and then it bends away from the road.

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2011, 02:47:12 pm »
'Fraid I don't know where or how the name 'Bunchleys' or 'Bunchley' came from (possibly an owner or name of a farm?).

Actually, there are two ponds with that name (Bunchleys and Little Bunchleys) on the hilltop (and there's a third visible on Google Earth but I think that's on farmland - it's on the other side of the footpath from Welham Green that runs by the side of the Central Resources Library).

There are a number of stories going about - the pond is a swallow hole that leads to a river; a famous angler learnt to fish there...

Hatfield pond given a spring clean
http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/hatfield_pond_given_a_spring_clean_1_945406

Sadly, there's been flytipping and someone has been cutting down young saplings for firewood since the clean up. Actually, the very next week after the clean up some lowlife dumped a bathroom suite on the site. Some people - Sheesh!

Offline North Mymms Youth Project

• North Mymms Youth Project
    • North Mymms Youth Project
  • Expertises:
  • Running activities for young people aged 9-16
« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2011, 03:30:38 pm »
There was a clean-up of the pond earlier this year organised by Hatfield Town Council I think.  Cath and I went to have a look at it.  Several anglers were there some having fished there for many years.  To get to it you follow a path close to the a1001 roundabout going towards the cemetery and then it bends away from the road.

We helped with that. We ask all of our members to help with one piece of community service a year - we helped with this, we've done some footpath maintanence, improved the grounds of the Youth and Community Centre, litter picked both in Brookmans Park and Welham Green and delivered leaflets for other community events.

We are always looking for more things to get involved with, so if you are aware of any community service that our members may be able to get involved with, please let us know via our website below. We're off bramble pulling in Gobions in a couple of weeks time!
North Mymms Youth Project
www.nmyouth.org.uk - 01707 444420

Offline Ex Libris

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Research
  • Boules (pétanque)
  • Teaching
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2011, 05:04:00 pm »
Trekbat's link shows some pictures of Bunchleys Pond.  Does anyone know how it got its name or anything about its history?

The Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust might have more information about Bunchleys Pond -   http://www.hertswildlifetrust.org.uk/about/Contact+Us 

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #188 on: November 05, 2011, 10:08:26 am »
There's mention of a land called Bunchleys and an Edward Bunchley in historical records - not clear whether they refer to Herts or Essex.

"Commissary for Essex & Herts, file 1563.

John Porter of Feeringe, yeoman. Will 5 April 1619; (copy) proved 17 May 1620. To be buried in the parish of Feeringe. I bequeath to my son Thomas my house and freehold lands called Thressulford in Messinge and Feeringe, for twenty years after my decease, with remainder to my son John Porter and his heirs. My wife Edyth shall have her dwelling and diet there so long as she remains a widow. I give to my son Thomas my freehold land in Inworth, holden of the manor of Kelvedon Hall, and all other my freehold land in Feeringe, also the copyhold I lately bought of Thomas Seaman, and my copyhold land in Inworth with the house upon it, on condition he allow my son Richard to occupy during his life the house built by me on a parcel of copyhold called Bunchley, and pay him an ennuity of £10. I give moreover to the said Thomas my messuage and freehold land in Much Totham and Heybridge. To my wife, all the household goods that were hers during her widowhood before I married her.
To my daughter Joan, £40. To my daughter Mary, £60. To my daughter Suzan, £40, half to be paid on her marriage, the... "

"472 ENGLISH GOODWIN FAMILY PAPERS.

40s. To the poor of Springfield 40s. All the rest of my goods to my wife Mary, whom I make my executric with my daughter Mary. Witness: Isaac Joyner. (signed) William Bentall.

Commissary of London (Essex & Herts), file 1 630-1,

number 46.

Elizabeth Bridge, Felsted, county Essex, weddow. Will 10 August 1604; proved 9 October 1604. To eldest sonn John Bredg £3. To sonn Simon Bredg £5. To William Bredg son of John Bredg my eldest sonn 40s. To John Playle sonn of Em Bredg my daughter deceased late wief of Edward Playle £8 at
24. To servant William Playle £4. To sister Agnes Amys wife of John Amys of Bocking, weaver, 6s.8d. To brother Thomas Pearson of Stisted 6s.8d. Rest to daughter Elizabeth Bredg
executrix. Witnesses : John Amys, Edward Bunchley, William Playle, Xpo. Tayler, scr. "

http://www.archive.org/stream/englishgoodwinfa01star/englishgoodwinfa01star_djvu.txt
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 11:26:47 am by trekbat »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #189 on: November 05, 2011, 03:07:29 pm »
Just been on a lovely walk from our collection of local rambles. Took a shot walking through the woods. Can anyone guess which walk we did?  No prizes, just interested if anyone knows the walk.

:)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #190 on: November 08, 2011, 03:15:12 pm »
Many thanks to Trekbat for the information on Bunchleys.  It gives me something to work on.

Also apologies to NM Youth Project  - I got my wires mixed up and thought the clean-up of the pond area was instigated by a Hatfield Town councillor.  Well done to NMYP for their effects and concern with their neighbourhood.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #191 on: November 11, 2011, 08:59:48 am »
Yesterday a stroll along Walk Two in our series was slightly tarnished by the discovery of a pile of fly tipping. But it wasn't all bad news. I spotted a bramble with its leaves turning. I was impressed by the variety of colours. The following pictures were taken on a mobile phone, so not great. But I like the patterns.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2012, 04:28:22 pm »
Just done a nice five mile walk from Brookmans Park over to Mymmshall Wood, Hawkshead Wood, Cangsley Grove, North Mymms Park, Water End and back to Brookmans Park. Took two hours and 10 mins. Recommended. The map will load shortly (below).  You might want to click the 'view full' tab at the bottom and then click the 'map options' and then 'hybrid' to see the mix between map and satellite version - I prefer that mode.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2012, 03:40:40 pm »
Just been on a lovely walk around Wild Hill taking in two of the rambles in this site's collection of local walks.  Saw a muntjac deer having its lunch (sorry it's a bit blurred, it was a long way away) and took a few more shots of the snowy landscape.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #194 on: February 19, 2012, 01:56:31 pm »
Promise of spring on Walk Two (and a reminder of the end of winter).

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2012, 09:45:58 am »
Enjoy one of our local country walks this Easter weekend.  There are 12 to choose from and there is a local pub on each. 

http://www.brookmans.com/walks/

But take a coat.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:12:00 am by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2012, 10:07:05 am »
Shared a great walk with friends yesterday. Almost four miles of views (5.95km), undulating countryside and woodland. An excellent 90 mins walk. Called it The Candlestick Round and have put  it on Map My Walk.  Here it is if anyone wants to try it.  Click on the 'View Elevation' tab below to make sure you are okay with the ups and downs.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #197 on: April 08, 2012, 02:19:23 pm »
Just added another to our collection of short country walks. This one is The Woodman Round (Wild Hill). Almost five miles of farmland, woodland and valley walking. Really nice way to spend the holiday weekend.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2012, 08:45:56 pm »
Nice colours today with the sunshine, dark skies and the rape fields a bright yellow.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2012, 11:03:58 am »
For anyone who uses the social media check in site, FourSquare, I have uploaded all 12 of our local country walks under the outdoor/hiking category.  So FourSquare fans can check in when they do them - you could even become mayor (although I am mayor of quite a few already - sad or what!).  :)  Here is one I did this morning:  https://foursquare.com/v/walk-1-north-mymms-park/50093c3cebca259d14ba31a5. The FourSquare page links through to the walk page on this site where you can find directions and a map.  Enjoy.

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #200 on: July 29, 2012, 12:13:23 pm »
I so wish I could love walking.  It just doesn't compete with not walking..................... ;D

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #201 on: July 29, 2012, 01:59:10 pm »
I so wish I could love walking.  It just doesn't compete with not walking..................... ;D

Well you can just sit back and enjoy the pictures. Still a valid way to enjoy the countryside.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #202 on: July 30, 2012, 07:08:10 pm »
Just added walk 15 to the collection of local country walks. It's called the Wild Hill to West End Figure Of Eight, is four miles long and takes one hour 20 mins. Nice walk. There is one bit where you cover the same ground twice, but it's only 0.4 miles long and no hardship.  You can start or finish at either The Woodman or The Candlestick.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #203 on: August 02, 2012, 02:37:35 pm »
Update from the County Council Rights of Way Officer about work to improve local walks.

Funding hs been approved for certain works, so as soon as the ground either side of the works area dries out and Environment Agency applications have been approved (where water courses are a factor), work will be starting. Signs informing the public of these surfacing works will be posted on each  site shortly.

Fox’s / Foxes Lane - North Mymms BOAT 084

Priority Level 1 – Requested by BHS, local walkers and local RA Rep.
Level of Use: Well used by walkers, cyclists and horse riders. It is a proposed BHS promoted circular horse riding route (H25).
Works  Required: 350m x 3m of scrub clearance is needed and then 350m x 2m wide surfacing along the stream edge to BR spec is needed. Two 4 sleeper wide bridges are also required and a culvert at the western end. 

North Mymms Public Footpath 052
Priority Level 2 - Request by a local walker for many years and local Councillor
Level of Use: Used by local families and dog walkers, as it is a direct link between Hatfield and the countryside.  It is also used regularly as a circular walk by local walking groups.
Works Required: 430 metres of surfacing, drainage and scrub cutting back works.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #204 on: August 02, 2012, 03:22:58 pm »
I have just added Walk 16: The North Mymms to South Mimms Ridge Route to our collection of country walks. It's a great walk, about 6.5 miles and takes 1.42 hours. I have also put it on FourSquare so that fans of that social network can check in and comment on the walk. Below is the Map My Walk map that is also embedded on the page with the walk instructions. Click on satellite view to see more of the countryside then zoom in for more detail.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #205 on: August 03, 2012, 07:47:41 am »
I have added another walk to our collection of local country walks. We now have 17 on this site. The latest is Walk 17: The Hornbeam Lane, Cucumber Lane Round. The link provided offers directions for the map below.  The route can be muddy in parts (not many) and there are nettles at this time of the year along short stretches.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #206 on: August 04, 2012, 12:01:47 am »
BTW David, the front page still says there are 12 walks

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #207 on: August 04, 2012, 09:06:34 am »
BTW David, the front page still says there are 12 walks

Thanks Angel, fixed.  Removed the number because the collection is growing all the time.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #208 on: August 04, 2012, 03:53:51 pm »
Just added a great walk to our growing collection of short walks in the local countryside. A really nice bit east of Kentish Lane and south of Tylers Causeway where you get excellent views and can really stride out. The new walk, just completed today is Walk 18: The Grubbs Lane, Tylers Causeway Circular.  Click on the link for directions and a copy of the map (added below). Click the satellite view option and zoom in for more visual details.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #209 on: August 05, 2012, 08:36:06 am »
Just a reminder that all the walks on this site are now added to FourSquare so that those who use that particular social network can check in, make notes and  add comments and pictures. I have created a list on FourSquare called Hertfordshire Pub Walks and all can be found there. This could mean that more people who might not otherwise know about our walks might be able to find them and enjoy them. For those not familiar with FourSquare it is a free application you can download to your phone which sees where you are and shows you places nearby that you can visit. So the idea is that if you are sitting in a beer garden and open FourSquare it will show you that there are walks nearby with links to the directions and maps on this site.

Tags: