Author Topic: Short and long walks in the local countryside  (Read 197105 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Short and long walks in the local countryside
« Reply #150 on: March 01, 2010, 05:11:58 pm »
Just had a really nice walk along Ayot Green Way - felt like spring had arrived. Great to be able to drink a pint in a beer garden without a jacket on, too. The beer pictued below the video is Dark Star's Best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QrC6wduEss
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:32:44 am by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2010, 08:12:02 pm »
Nice walk around Wormley Wood today. Recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kwUyvpTatk
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Little Miss Elaine Moffat

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2010, 04:05:25 pm »
I have just got back from a great walk in Gobions and the surrounding woods, and found  the paths and  fields much boggier than they were last year.

The entrance from Bluebridge  Avenue was like a sponge, and again the entrance from there to the open space was very wet and spongy.

I have lived in BP for about 30 years and this years appears to have more water lying around. (in Gobions)

I know that we have had a very long wet winter, but the ground is wet and muddy in places we have not had water collecting before.

Has anybody any idea why this is?  

Is it to do with the lagoon being filled in or building work that has diverted the underground water course?

I am interested in why this would happen so quickly over one year.

Come on you bright people what do you think the reason is?

Iím off to wash the mud of my boots now!

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2010, 10:58:11 am »
The entrance from Bluebridge  Avenue was like a sponge, and again the entrance from there to the open space was very wet and spongy. 
I have lived in BP for about 30 years and this years appears to have more water lying around. (in Gobions)

I know that we have had a very long wet winter, but the ground is wet and muddy in places we have not had water collecting before.

Has anybody any idea why this is? 

You cannot have the worst winter for 30 years and not have consequences. 

A week or two ago I did raise this problem with the Parish Council groundsmen since the land is owned by NMPC.  They said there is nothing they could do about it.  The ground is too soggy to bear the weight of a tractor.  Even if they could get the tractor with a scoop to put down some hardcore etc, that hardcore would simply sink into the ground.  It would be a waste of time and money to try.

Roll on that 'BBQ' summer we are supposed to be having.  Or was that last year?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2010, 07:04:04 pm »
Great skies today as we walked from Brookmans Park over to Wild Hill for a pint at the Woodman and then over the hill to Mill Green and back to Hatfield.

Offline Mary_Morgan

• Opinions on many things
  • statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2010, 07:10:59 pm »
Dave

Great pics. Hope the black clouds didn't rain on you.

Mary

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #156 on: June 10, 2010, 07:09:29 pm »
New fences, gates and stiles have been erected at the top of Walk One at the south end of Cangsley Grove. More pictures on the microblog.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #157 on: June 10, 2010, 08:37:25 pm »
Glad to see land being managed properly now. I think there has been a change in managing agents. Hopefully this means no more burnt out cars and motorbikes shattering the peace!

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2010, 02:51:14 pm »
Great skies today as we walked from Brookmans Park over to Wild Hill for a pint at the Woodman and then over the hill to Mill Green and back to Hatfield.

This morning I wanted to walk from Old Hatfield back to Brookmans Park so did a Google directions walking thing but unfortunately couldn't find the route I needed from Church Street (wasn't sure if it went through Hatfield House grounds).  Ended up walking along the A1000 and then back up to Woodside Lane and round that way.  Not ideal but not too bad.  Just wondered if anyone knew the way through from Old Hatfield to get round the 'back way'!

Being a woman on my own, I tend to stick to lanes etc but would have just preferred something a bit more scenic than the main road!!

Offline epiphany

« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2010, 04:13:01 pm »
Angel

You could have walked up the hill at Fore Street in Old Hatfield and in to Hatfield Park through the gate at the top
although you would have to pay for the privilege! (residents in Old Hatfield get a free pass).
You could then walk through the park parallel to the A1000 coming out at the pepperpot lodge in Woodside Lane.
Incidentally this is the original route of the Great North Road coming from Bell Bar.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2010, 04:34:40 pm »
Thanks Epiphany - that must have been the way the Google map tried to take me.  If I paid to go in then I would probably just walk round the grounds there.  I saw that lodge but the woman told me not to go near the gates as it set the cameras off!  I was only trying to read the notices on the gate!!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2010, 06:07:23 pm »
There is a lovely walk from Hatfied station via Mill Green, along a bit of the A414 and then over past the saw mill and up over the tops to The Candlestick, down the bridle path or lane to The Woodman and then over the fields to Brooky Park. Seven miles.  Lovely walk.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2010, 05:26:36 pm »
Lovely day for a walk today. From the The Candlestick, walked up to the Flint Cottage, down to the River Lea, along the riverside footpath and up the bridlepath back towards The Candlestick before taking a left turn up to Essendon, along the footpath at the back of the church, down through the woods and up the path to The Candlestick for lunch. Some nice berries and seeds along the way. Parts of Walk Five and Walk Eleven mixed together.

Met a nice couple who were on one of the walks having Googled and found this site and another group of people later on who were on the walk thanks to the guides on this site. Nice to see them being used. Ended up in The Woodman beer garden where we met more walkers enjoying the day.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #163 on: November 07, 2010, 11:52:07 am »
Walk one was lovely this morning. Some low resolution pictures below. High resolution on the Brookmans Park Newsletter micro-blog.

Offline milkmade

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2010, 01:25:23 pm »
lovely pictures.  Hertfordshire is  a beautiful county. :)

colinr

« Reply #165 on: November 07, 2010, 09:18:40 pm »
Dave

You have inspired me to get close to the Fungi.............

Offline southbury

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2010, 10:50:57 am »
Hi David ,

Any chance you can briefly point out where abouts on Walk 1 those images were taken ?

rgds

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #167 on: November 08, 2010, 10:59:32 am »
Sure, they are where the black blobs are on this map.  I should have said that we cut across the middle of it (marked with the blue squares).

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2010, 02:48:25 pm »
Probably too many pics, but got carried away with the dens made out of branches on Nomansland Common. If anyone has kids and wants somewhere to go for an afternoon walk, this is the place with miles of woodland for them to explore.  And of course the Elephant & Castle on Amwell Lane, Amwell for a traditional roast in front of a roaring log fire.  Perhaps a good destination for the local scouts and youth club?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2010, 02:54:51 pm »
Just been on a great walk around Wareside. Saw these horses having dinner and proving that all you need is a warm coat and a fully belly.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #170 on: June 06, 2011, 08:44:47 am »
Figured out that there is a better tool for mapping walks. This one is from MapMyWalk.  Have added some information points. Click on View Full on the map to reveal all.

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on: June 06, 2011, 08:19:04 pm »
Is that free or is it pay monthly?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #172 on: June 06, 2011, 09:39:23 pm »
Is that free or is it pay monthly?

Yes, free.  You can map all your walks and add details etc then share on Facebook and Twitter. (then post about them here and embed the map so we can all benefit).

:)

David

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #173 on: June 06, 2011, 10:50:05 pm »
I've seen a lot of walks suggested by other people on there. If i map one out but i only want to keep it for my own use instead, is it possible to have the option for it not to show up?

Secondly, I may actually take up that suggestion but how local do you want the walks to be? Mine tend to range 8-15 miles and I'm just building a collection

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #174 on: June 07, 2011, 06:48:45 am »
I've seen a lot of walks suggested by other people on there. If i map one out but i only want to keep it for my own use instead, is it possible to have the option for it not to show up?

Yes, you can set the walks to 1) private, 2) shared with named users or 3) public.

Secondly, I may actually take up that suggestion but how local do you want the walks to be? Mine tend to range 8-15 miles and I'm just building a collection

As long as they are fairly local it would be nice to share them.

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2011, 10:24:00 pm »
Here is a new one if anyone is interested (David, do you think this should be put in the Local Walks section?)

http://www.mapmywalk.com/routes/view/36972094/

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2011, 10:32:38 pm »
Thank you for telling us about this site.  I always like to know how far I've walked so this is brilliant.  This morning I walked up to Wildhill and round via The Rookery Cafe.  As I'm often on my own, I tend to stick to roads and not use the footpaths.

Just mapped a walk I did on Sunday in London from Kings Cross, along The Canal to Limehouse and up to Bow.  If it hadn't been raining I would have gone on up to the Olympics site!!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #177 on: June 09, 2011, 10:33:29 pm »
Here is a new one if anyone is interested (David, do you think this should be put in the Local Walks section?)

It would be good to describe the location in your post as well as provide the link. It will help people decide whether to click on the link to try it. 

Not sure about adding to the local walks page. Perhaps best just to keep them in the local walks thread. it would take some work to update the walks index.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #178 on: June 09, 2011, 10:35:12 pm »
Thank you for telling us about this site.  I always like to know how far I've walked so this is brilliant.  This morning I walked up to Wildhill and round via The Rookery Cafe.  As I'm often on my own, I tend to stick to roads and not use the footpaths.

Just mapped a walk I did on Sunday in London from Kings Cross, along The Canal to Limehouse and up to Bow.  If it hadn't been raining I would have gone on up to the Olympics site!!

Yes, it's useful and quite good fun.  Feel free to share any walks here if you would like to.

David

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #179 on: June 09, 2011, 10:41:06 pm »

It would be good to describe the location in your post as well as provide the link. It will help people decide whether to click on the link to try it. 

Not sure about adding to the local walks page. Perhaps best just to keep them in the local walks thread. it would take some work to update the walks index.

David

Whoops

It started from Welwyn North station in Digswell, went through a nearby woodland and fields and just skimmed Welwyn, then proceeded north a little, then south-east going through Mardley Heath nature reserve , before going through Harmergreen Wood to Harmer Green and then back to Digswell. In total 6.5 miles.

Tags: