Author Topic: Short and long walks in the local countryside  (Read 196923 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Short and long walks in the local countryside
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2006, 09:48:08 pm »
Hi Moggins,

I often find paths disappear due to over enthusiastic ploughing. I will merge this with an existing thread on local walks in order to keep such discussions together.

By the way, in an earlier post on that thread you said you were going to try all the walks. Did you, and, if so, which was your favourite?

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mallow

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2006, 04:11:49 pm »
Tonight though it looks like these signposted footpaths have gone under the plough,  

This field has only very recently been ploughed and the footpaths are normally reinstated either by regular use or by the farmer himself when the new crop begins to sprout.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

moggins

« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2006, 09:35:00 pm »
No unfortunately not yet done all the walks,have been sidetracked a bit, discovered the Lea Valley Park and also the area around  Clay Hill and Forty Hall so still have the walks to complete, but so far have found them all equally enjoyable, plus the weight is slowwwwlly falling have scraped into the overweight category so quite a bit more to do but will endeavour to do all 12 walks before I reach target weight.

Mallow the only reason I brought up the matter of the ploughed field was because I  have walked the track/path in question quite frequently these past 2/3 years and was a bit suprised that where previously the field in question was ploughed either side of the track there was a walkable path left, yesterday had to detour round the edge of field in question and stumbled over quite a few of the clods thrown up by the ploughing,it was this that prompted my input to this forum.

To end on a lighter note got a great kick out of seeing 2 (mountjack) deer running free while doing walk from North Mimms Church to the Grange and back ,don't know what no the walk is but first time we did it we got hopelessly lost.
The wife and I find the notes on the walks invaluable  so many thanks for taking the time and trouble to put them on the website.

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2006, 11:02:37 pm »
Do you know where it is possible to get the answers to the Brookmans Park quiz walk, so to speak?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2006, 08:03:09 am »
Do you know where it is possible to get the answers to the Brookmans Park quiz walk, so to speak?

Hi Local Walker,

The idea of the Quiz Walk (Walk 12) in the series on this site, was that people would go to this site and type in the key words identified in the brochure. Click here for the front page of the brochure. That would lead to pages explaining the local features mentioned in detail. Click here for the map and directions.

There is another page on this site where the questions are touched on. Click here for that page. for the answers to the questions posed in Walk 12 'The Quiz Walk'.

For those who want to see all the walks on this site, click here for the walks index page.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2007, 11:42:45 am »
My wife and I have just re-done a couple of the 12 walks detailed on this website.  What a surprise to see that my copies were dated September 2002, nearly five years ago.

A number of the step stiles have now been removed or replaced by kissing gates which makes life a bit easier.

Just a few words of caution about Walk 4.  At the Beehive, Epping Green, at stage 13 it is the metalled road almost opposite and to the south that you go down, and continue along this metalled road.  By mistake we turned right into the newish housing estate before we realised our error.  At stage 14 the roadway bends LEFT (not right as in the text) and you just keep walking straight on. 
At stage 16 we thought it better to keep on the path and take the left fork at the bend, and not go along the field.  It seemed a long way to get to the cricket ground and we turned off too soon along a marked path.  Be patient!

Does anyone know what the flowering crop is in these fields at these stages?  I did not have my camera so cannot provide a picture.

If anyone is looking for a project to do with their family this summer, why not produce some more local walks to be added to this website.  The  children will learn all sorts of skills without realising it.  Map reading, distance measuring, compass reading, planning, observation, report writing, types of trees and plants, accuracy, research into the things you see to add interest to the walk (like Walk 12), proof reading, drawing the resulting route, and so on.  We are supposed to be having another dry summer so an outdoor activity like this, which costs very little except time, seems a like a good idea to me.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2007, 08:34:05 pm »

At stage 14 the roadway bends LEFT (not right as in the text) and you just keep walking straight on. 

Hi Bob,

Glad you are enjoying the walks. Thanks for the feedback.

The confusion might be down to the poor quality of the maps I have drawn and the distances set out in the point-by-point directions, but they are essentially correct.

The directions say ...

14: Keeping the water tower and the mobile phone transmitter on your left, continue along this bridle path lane. After 200m it veers right, but you continue straight on along a smaller bridle path.

The bend I am referring to is marked by the red arrow on this map.

I have made a screen grab of a proper map (below).

My guess is that you are referring to the left turn to Woodcock Lodge (just under the first 'p' in Epping House). This is immediately after the water tower and transmitter. However, the bend I am referring to is 200m further on along the main bridle path (just above the E in Epping House).

At that point, the main track bends right, but the correct route is to walk slightly to the left or straight on, which is only possible if you take the track on your left.

The confusion might be in the poor quality of my sketch maps and the distances. Apologies, I hope it didn't cause you too many problems.

David

PS: For those wanting to do the walk, click here for the directions.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 05:58:31 am by David Brewer »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2007, 11:43:14 am »
Thanks for the clarification Dave.  You guessed correctly concerning where we got confused.  The new map makes it very clear, including the path we took off to the right before the correct turning to the cricket ground. 

When we did the walk there was a match being played which made parking difficult in the village.  Little Berkhamsted was a hive of activity on that Sunday afternoon.

Any thoughts on the crop in the fields, please?  It had grown to about 3 feet high with a fairly thick main stem and leaves off it, and had smallish white flowers with a purple mark on each petal.   Excuse the poor description but gardening is not my strong point.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2007, 10:01:40 pm »
Sounds like broad beans to me. Did they smell nice? The smell of bean blossom is a rare treat.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2007, 10:27:59 am »
Didn't notice any aroma, but my nose is not the most sensitive.  Perhaps a visit to the Beehive is called for, and a walk afterwards to follow the correct path and smell the plants!

Thanks for the suggestion as to what it might be.  Much appreciated

moggins

« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2007, 08:25:19 pm »
I was reading some old posts, and I came across one in particular that mentioned the motte and bailey castle ruins.
I would be very grateful if someone who is more au fait with the location of said ruins, could post a set of directions on how to reach the same.
I have in the past walked the area quite regularly but to date my efforts to locate aforementioned ruins have been to no avail.
I live in the potters bar area and my normal starting point would be using the footpath situated at bottom end of the cranbourne estate taking you onto and through Warrengate Farm with the stream on your left ending at farm gate and cycle path

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2007, 11:31:30 pm »
Hi Moggins,

Go to the junction of Hawkshead Lane and Swanland Road and take the footbridge over the A1 (M).  Turn left and head south. The site of the Motte & Baileys is on your right after about ten mins.

Click here for a map.

Alternatively, if heading from Potters Bar, go down Mutton Lane, then Warrengate Lane, then cross Swanland Road, take the footpath under the A1 (M), turn right and it's on your left.

Click here for a map of that bit.

Regards

David

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 10:27:59 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2007, 01:44:35 pm »
I went on the recent guided local walk around North Mymms and including parts of North Mymms Park.  The walk was led by someone who farms the land in North Mymms Park. 

There is a structure in North Mymms Park, which has a concrete base and a pitched corrugated tin roof.  I have always understood it to be an old well but the chap who was leading the walk said it was a windmill base and the field that it stands in is called Windmill Field.

Does anyone have any more information on this.

To find it, take the bridge over the A1 at Hawkshead Lane and take the path to the right which runs paralell to the A1 for a bit.  The structure sits on the edge of the field just before the path turns right again back towards the A1.

:)
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2007, 05:46:09 pm »
Good news.

The Vet College has recently installed a kissing gate on the unoffical footpath that runs from the official footpath 11 into Gobions Wood.  Walkers have used this route for many years between Hawkshead Road, near the Folly Arch, into Gobions Wood.

There used to be a stile in the fence between the field and the wood but it was blocked up a year or so ago.  The blocked up fence was then opened up by walkers (presumably) and a gap left in the fence.  This has now been filled by a kissing gate.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2007, 08:52:20 pm »
Hurrah!   ;D

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2007, 12:14:52 am »
Well done to the Royal Vet College! Commonsense has prevailed at last. I've been walking that particular path since the 60's and that's the first gate ever. Did this have anything to do with you Bob? If so, well done! Long live the kissing gate and all who pass through her!

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2007, 09:46:31 am »
North Mymms Parish Council, through its Parish Environmental Plan group, tried to get a grant for a kissing gate but failed because the location is not on an official public footpath.

My guess is that the actions taken to try and get a grant-funded gate raised the profile of this stile, and eventually the Vet College agreed to fund it.  The RVC needed to be certain that if cattle are put in this field they could not get into Gobions Wood and maybe into the lake.

Incidentally, the RVC is worried by recent research which seems to indicate that pregnant cows can be affected by something in dog poo.  Indications are that the pregnancy will abort.  So if you are taking your dog through a field with cattle in it, please be sure to clean up any poo dropped by your pooch.

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2007, 07:36:41 pm »
Is it possible to have more walks?

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2007, 08:46:27 pm »
Go on as many walks as you like, dear boy, you don't have to ask permission   :icon_jokercolor:
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2007, 10:30:28 pm »
Is it possible to have more walks?

I have a few more to write up, but any suggestions welcome.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2007, 05:06:47 pm »
We did walk six today, starting at the Woodman Wild Hill and ending up there for a pint. One of my favourite of the 12.  Click here for details.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2007, 04:13:24 pm »
Walk one is well worth doing at this time of the year. The autumn colours are wonderful. Click here for map and walk details.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2007, 07:38:07 pm »
We did walk four again today.

Excellent for autumn colours.

Here are some snaps taken along the way.

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2007, 04:02:30 pm »
Is there a local "walking" group or "Ramblers" that walk Monday/Thursday?

Thanks

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2008, 10:06:44 pm »
Went on Walk 12 not too long ago (late-Jan\early Feb). I must say that Walk 12 is a very interesting walk and i learnt quite a bit more of local history including about a plaque...

If not for the history, the walk through the woods and across the first stream near Water End seem like a sort of hidden valley in a way.

Unfortunately the rain had been so also there was one puddle the size of a pond. I also want to ask what exactly this was

It was a concrete platform with a metal lid. It seemed like a drain or storage tank but i could not be too sure. There were many of these scattered through the fields.

Note: Edited only to add photo
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 10:51:55 pm by James Bentall »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2008, 10:41:23 am »
Walk 12 - I still have some of the A3 size leaflets giving the walk if anyone would like a copy.  It was produced a couple of years ago by a local group with the grand title of the Parish Environment Action Plan Steering Group, funded by the Countryside Management Services at Herts County Council.   

That group is now seeing if it can get a footpath along Hawkshead Road and the RVC where there is no pavement.  Early days yet on that one.

I suspect the pictured object is an access to the sewerage system which runs under the fields.  Thats why there are a number of them access the fields etc.  They will follow the line of the sewer. When we flush the loo we do not think about where it goes!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2008, 11:42:48 am »
Good day for walking --- misty, overcast and quiet. These shots taken during a slight diversion from Walk One, by taking the track towards South Mimms near Potwells and heading back along the bridle path to Swanland Road.

David

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2008, 10:45:25 am »
Great pictures as usual.

Cath and I had a walk in Trent Park, Cockfosters which is only 5 miles away.  With a cafe for a drink and/or food and lots of car parking.  That park is huge!

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2008, 11:14:12 pm »
No point in starting a new topic. I am just wondering whether anyone knows anything about a mysterious public footpath I've seen from Well Road, opposite Queenswood. According to maps it goes into the wood and abruptly stops. I am just wondering whats down there.

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2008, 03:10:00 am »
Hello Local Walker - I think I know where you mean - I've not been there for many years, but if
you carry on past the path it carries on to an old burnt out mansion with a huge lake - I used to fish there
when I was a kid.  It looks a bit like Gobions. The gamekeeper for that land used to live in the Folly Arch
Lodge in the 1970's - and he didn't like me because he could never catch me!
If you look at this site it will tell you more about Nyn Park Estate;-

http://www.william-montgomery.com/properties/nynpark2.htm

Tags: