Author Topic: Short and long walks in the local countryside  (Read 201932 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Short and long walks in the local countryside
« on: May 05, 2002, 08:27:50 pm »
A new section of www.brookmans.com is being built containing short local walks, most featuring the area's pubs. There are four walks published to start it off and more will be added later.  Pictures will be added as well. Each walk has a list of instructions for every turn and a home-made map as well as links to professional maps which you can download and print off. All the walks are about four miles long. click here.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2002, 01:06:52 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline The Orange Llama

• Opinions on some things
  • There's only one orange llama....
    • See where I live
Re: Short and long walks in the local countryside
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2002, 11:59:11 am »
A useful addition to the site - thanks.

Would it be possible to indicate which walks are suitable for Llamas - E.g. those without stiles in them? (I find it difficult to get over them  as I can't jump that high). More to the point, I guess people wish pushchairs or wheelchairs would appreciate such information to.

Sincerely Yours,

OL
The Orange Llama - looking at life from an alternative viewpoint since 1902

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2002, 12:05:04 pm »
As with the majority of country walks in this area they are mainly over undulating countryside along narrow paths and often muddy bridle paths where horses have churned up the ground. All have bachelor gates and step stiles along the way. There are also areas where small footbridges over streams and brooks need to be crossed.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2002, 04:31:57 pm »
Two more circular local walks, complete with sketched maps, have been added to the site. All are centred round local pubs and are in the region of four miles long. This brings the total of walks to six with four more to be added over time. Local Walks
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 11:25:37 am by David Brewer »

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2002, 12:04:52 am »
Could I just mention that walk no.1 (North Mymms Park) covers the first part of a really great bridleway circuit of about four miles, which you can do on a mountain bike. The boy and I can be found there most weekends.......

At one point in the pine woods there is an obstacle course (not the right word I'm sure) where you can do timed circuits, etc. Sometimes you meet the local lads on their off road motor bikes, but the rest of the ride is still worth it.

And provided your offspring are old enough to ride on minor roads (Bradmore Lane?) it should be manageable by most Brookmans Park families. Some of the hills are a bit steep (but I can still beat junior.......just). There was a section near South Mymms that was an absolute morass a few years ago, but this has all been resurfaced with mineral chippings and the drains properly culverted. Something to do with sustrans or hcc, perhaps?

If the Boss would like an OS extract to convert into a PC friendly format I would be happy to send a scan.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2002, 01:09:13 am »
You are right, it is a good cycling area too. Perhaps we need a series of cycle routes. (Actually someone has already mailed me suggesting exactly that).  As for maps, I didn't want to use OS material because of copyright issues and that is why I drew those rough sketches to give an idea of the routes.  By the way, the bridle path in Walk 6 continues into part of Walk 2 through Harefield Woods to join up with Walk 5 at West End for a great 12-mile circular cycle tour from Brookmans Park to River Lea and back.
David Brewer
« Last Edit: May 10, 2002, 01:10:39 am by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2002, 06:00:25 pm »
A seventh walk has been added to the list and it includes an 'Environmentally Sensitive Area'. It is well worth trying. By the way, if anyone does any of the walks listed, please add any comments to this thread so others can benefit from your experiences.
Click here for complete list of local walks.  An eighth walk will be added tomorrow weather permitting.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2002, 06:02:04 pm by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2002, 05:22:20 pm »
Warning - if you are doing any of the ten walks, posted on this site, take a stick or wear long trousers.  There are currently a lot of nettles and brambles and you need protection.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2002, 05:04:38 pm »
Do you know the local countryside?  We have just completed one of the walks in the series of ten on this site and took the shot below. A prize of the small hard-back Observers Trees book from Penguin is on offer for the first person to identify correctly ...

• which number walk the scene is from
  • where, in that walk, the picture is taken from
  • which direction the path is heading (i.e. north, south, east or west, etc)
  • where you would get to if you carried straight on

« Last Edit: August 31, 2002, 05:06:16 pm by admin »

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2002, 08:40:45 pm »
I claim zee prize!!!!!!!!! (Been reading too much Zorro.....)

Answers:

1. Walk 1 through North Mymms Park

2. The picture was taken from the south end of Cangsley Grove.

3. The view is looking south (-ish).

4. If you carry on the walk you take a left turn here and then go north east to Home Farm. But if you carry on the bridleway you go on until you hit the old lane leading to South Mimms (and if you are on your bike you need granny gear to get up the next slope to the little cottage. In the winter it's all clay and churned up by the horses and in the summer it's rock hard and loosens all your fillings).

Am I correct, maestro?

ATG  :)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2002, 08:42:24 pm »
Well that didn't take long did it!  Spot on ATG - very fast and totally accurate.  Message me through the system so I know where to send the book.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2002, 08:42:58 pm by admin »

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2002, 08:43:16 pm »
And just to let you know, I have been through NM Park on the tandem. Made it awfully dirty though.

ATG

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2002, 08:45:50 pm »
North Mymms Park or the tandem?   ;)  You will be pleased to know they have resurfaced large parts of the track (they were working on it today) and the surface is now good for walking and cycling.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2002, 04:54:27 pm »
Well if only I'd logged on later on last night I would have read about the resurfacing of the track. Went there this morning and was very surprised to see the improvement. Not quite motorway standard but a big improvement - managed to get up both southward slopes in granny second and didn't have to stop for a breather at the top either. Mind you, a bit less of a challenge now. But how long will it last after a bit of rain? I noticed that a horse had already taken a few divots out of the smooth surface this morning, so we'll see.

ATG

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2002, 03:00:44 pm »
My wife, Cath, & I (hence Bobcat) have done 8 walks in Sept/Oct which we enjoyed, but some more then others - you cannot please all the people all the time. Well done for prodding us into getting to know the local countryside a bit better - and safer because most of the walks avoid the roads. We saw some wild life like rabbits, pheasants, grass snake, horses, cows, and the occasional human!  Do allow plenty of time for rests, take a drink with you, and admire the view.  
Walk 1 was gentle and OK except for the noisy A1(M) on the last bit -
Walk 2 was great.  Pity about the burnt-out Transit-type van just off a bridleway. Some people need some terrible punishment for the litter they cause.  Any ideas apart from chopping off their hands?
Walk 4 was a bit tough for us 60+ year olds, but enjoyable
Walk 5 included a bridleway surfaced with large gravel, so we had to look where we walked a bit too much
Walk 6 was hard work crossing ploughed fields, but scenic
Walk 7 could be muddy but the ford was dry when we crossed it
Walk 8 was the best in our opinion. We will do it in reverse next time to have a more gentle last part.
Walk 10 took us past corn (fodder type, not edible for humans) as high as an elephants eye in the field between Hawkshead Lane and The Gardens. We disturbed a sun-bathing grass snake in Gobions Wood!  The young bullocks in the field next to Bulls Lane, naturally, were very nosy making US feel as if we were exhibits in a zoo.

Thanks for your trouble in producing this enjoyable look on the area. The maps and directions were first rate, including the various references to assure you that you were still on the route.
Bob   ;D

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2002, 02:47:23 pm »
WARNING
Please take extra care when walking on public byways such as the one on Walk Two in the series of ten short walks published on this site. On Saturday morning I had to move quickly to take evasive action in order to push one of my children out of the way of two horses being ridden at high speed round a blind bend.
When I suggested the riders were travelling too fast they told me to keep my opinions to myself and suggested we shouldn't have been walking there. Sadly they seemed unable to recognise the danger of riding horses at speed along such paths.  Anyone less alert might have been the victim of a nasty accident.
The track we were on is the byway skirting the north side of the Cartland Estate. Herts Co Co defines a byway or BOAT (byway open to all traffic) as follows ...

• BOATs carry footpath, bridleway and vehicular rights. They are normally unsurfaced
  • They carry identical public rights to surfaced country lanes but they are, by definition, used mainly by walkers & riders
  • A BOAT’s surface is maintained to a standard consistent with its usage.The law applies to BOATs in the same way as an ordinary public road - any vehicle must be fully taxed, MOT’d and insured and the driver must hold the appropriate driving licence

Judging by our experience some riders might not be aware that walkers are allowed on these tracks which are marked with a red arrow in a white circle.  If you do follow any of the routes mentioned in the ten country walks please look out for horses being ridden at speed.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2002, 11:11:15 am by admin »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2003, 12:14:14 am »
Well, sensors on footpaths, I really do not believe it.
The roads are in a state and these unelected petty council wallahs think up such a crass scheme which beggars belief.
Now we know where the money goes.
It is beyond doubt the most unbelievable thing I have ever heard off.
Are we sure it is not April 1st.
regards,
jet
Is this perhaps the start of congestion charging, ie a card with a bar code to allow access to the country ???
« Last Edit: February 16, 2003, 12:17:08 am by jet »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2003, 02:14:48 am »
Forget walking with the Dinosaurs and cavemen, take advantage of the fine weather and try one, or all, of the walks around this area.  The details are on the home page.  My wife and I did them last autumn and found that they were pretty good, with excellent directions and maps.  Thanks to Dave and his family who compiled them.  I think we will try some in reverse direction, just for kicks! :D

These walks will take you off the roads, in the main, and you will discover some hidden parts of the neighbourhood.

If anyone else has found some good walks off the beaten track in this area, why not let the editor have details so that we can all enjoy them - not all at the same time of course.

Offline NZer

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2003, 04:37:43 pm »
Yes, thanks Dave for taking the trouble to do these walks.  My husband and I did no.1 last Friday and are hoping to do two more before we go back to NZ.  Its certainly perfect weather for it and the tracks are dry underfoot.
I spent my teenage years in BP but the views were new to me and well worth seeing.
Judy :)

happywalker

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2003, 08:32:41 pm »
We did walk-4 today but got lost at the 2nd field (going upto the main road and missing the
turning to the right).

From that point on we were unable to find our way back to the path despite help from some ''locals' - until we got to the pub at Epping Green (which was closed between 3 and 5!)

The map was not accurate in the way it displayed the roads (where we should not have been!)

2 ideas

a. The numbers of the (excellent!) notes you provide should have the numbers
   included on the map itself

b. The roads should be clearly marked

Otherwise we had a great time - this is the 2nd walk we have done - 8 to go

Thanks

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2003, 08:54:03 pm »
I am sorry you got lost on walk four and particularly sorry the pub was closed. The maps are only rough sketches put together in Paint Shop.  It is recommended, on each walk, that people use an Ordnance Survey Explorer map to help make sure they find the right route. We could try to add numbers to the maps, but I have a feeling it will all get a bit cluttered. I will have a go and see how it looks. In the meantime I will do the walk again myself and perhaps rewrite the text to make it clearer. Good luck on the rest of the walks and thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated.
David Brewer

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2003, 03:53:46 pm »
A quick tip to anyone printing out the instructions for the walks. Please check in 'print preview' that all the words are showing. If they are not, you could find you are trying to do the walk with important parts of the text missing. If you print in landscape you shouldn't go too far wrong. Unfortunately this won't ensure the pubs are open all day.
;)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2003, 11:45:09 am »
Walk one click here is recommended for burning off the Christmas pud. We've just checked it and it's in good shape. Wellies recommended though.

;)

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2003, 01:43:42 pm »
And then back to Brookies via The Old Maypole, The Woodman, The Hope, The Sib and The BP Hotel
;D
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2003, 01:50:01 pm »
And then back to Brookies via The Old Maypole, The Woodman, The Hope, The Sib and The BP Hotel
;D

You must have been walking right behind us!

;)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2003, 05:47:31 pm »
Walk two is good just now, although muddy at the beginning.
Click here for walk two

« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 05:21:08 pm by admin »

Phil_Holm

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2004, 03:43:28 pm »
We did Walk 1 yesterday afternoon.  We started from the Woodman Car Park after having Sunday Lunch there.  I can definitely recommend it, (The walk that is).

We didn't feel very safe though walking along side the A1 with just a wooden fence between us and the cars thundering past!

Also it was a shame that the countryside was spoilt by at least 4 burnt out cars along the way.  Don't know who owns the land, and I suppose they're not to keen to spend the money to remove the cars.

Having done the walk I did feel that I could justify having the Large portion of carvery before hand  ;D

Phil
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 03:26:36 pm by Phil_Holm »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2005, 01:24:10 pm »
We have just completed Walk Seven again. Click here for details. It's really nice at this time of the year with the gorse out. The paths have recently been improved, so it's not as muddy as last year. The walk takes about 45 mins to an hour.

Click here for the index of ten local walks. A warning, these walks were written up four years ago, so take a map just in case.

:)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 01:32:45 pm by Editor »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2005, 05:00:55 pm »
We did Walk Five today click here for details. Excellent walking conditions. Saw two couples carrying print outs of these walks, which was nice. If anyone has any comments about the walks, or suggestions for additions, please add your thoughts to this thread.

The picture below is the view walking down from the Candlesticks towards the River Lea. Click here for the index of all ten local walks.

moggins

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2005, 10:35:10 am »
Myself and the wife have only just discovered this forum, actually live in Potters Bar but think is excellent idea, really enjoyed ourselves on  monday on walk 5 , looking forward to completing all ten.

Tags: