Author Topic: Wireless in Brookmans Park  (Read 5439 times)

Offline Govvy

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Wireless in Brookmans Park
« on: August 07, 2006, 03:22:22 pm »
I was wondering if anyone uses wifi and if so do you have any problems?

Regards
Govvy

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Wireless in Brookmans Park
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 04:11:49 pm »
I use WiFi (802.11g) without any problems and so do quite a few other people judging by the number of networks I can 'see'.

Plenty of low cost kit available, plus most new laptops have wireless built in.

Just make sure you secure your network using access control (MAC ACL) and encryption (WPA-PSK preferred or at least WPA) to protect against hackers and freeloaders

Offline Govvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 09:58:47 pm »
a while ago, I tried to setup a wireless network and had some connection problems, I was wondering if it could of been the transmission station creating them.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 09:06:08 am »
Very unlikely to be the transmitting station - the main activity at BP is MW transmission, ie frequencies around 1MHz. Wireless uses (for 802.11b/g which is the commonest type used domestically) 2.4GHz (2400 MHz) ie nowhere near the same frequency.

More likely you didn't set it up correctly or were using substandard kit.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 11:23:18 am »
We have just set up phones in a new office in Station Road Welham Green and get fine radio five all day whether we want it or not. BT are struggling-is this the BP transmitter too?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 11:32:55 am »
I had a similar problem with a cordless BT phone

I solved it by contacting the transmitting station who supplied free of charge a ferrite ring and BT filter - this completely solved the problem.

Contact me by IM if you want contact details etc

Offline Govvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 08:50:52 pm »
I know this was a while ago but...

I got wireless setup and two PCs on the internet. But how can I do file/print sharing?

Maybe someone can give me some step by step instructions!?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 09:06:10 pm »
File and Print sharing is fairly simple to achieve.

I'm assuming you are using Windows XP. It will vary slightly depending if you are using Professional or Home edition of XP.

The principle is the same though. Each computer on your home network should be set to be on the same workgroup. This is just an arbitrary name you choose. Each PC must have a unique name. In Windows Explorer you would select the folder to share, right click on it and select the sharing/security option. If it's the first time you've used it a wizard may well be run, the answers to the questions should be fairly self explanatory. On the other PC the easiest way to access the other computer is to click 'Start', then 'Run', then type the name of the other computer after two backslashes e.g. \\homepc1 If it is working correctly then a window will open and the shared folder(s) will be visible. A computer can share as well as connect to remote shares, and multiple folders can be shared. generally it is better from a security point of view to only share a specific folder, although possible to share the entire 'C' drive it would be unwise as security might be compromised.

To share a printer, right click on the printer and select the 'sharing' tab. It should be self explanatory.

One last point, some wireless routers and access points have a feature called 'wireless isolation'. If yours has this make sure it is disabled. A good initial test would be to check you can ping each computer by IP address.

Hope this helps - it's difficult to condense this all into a few sentences but hopefully this will be a starting point.

If you need any further help let me know

Offline Govvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 03:52:29 pm »
Well, I have tried a number of things, a few times I have stopped the internet working all together! I am kind of giving up. It's been so anoying trying to get it to work. :(

Tags: